1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Follow up: Thanks for the smart scope tip I didn't know about. Doubled my kills.
Delta5931 wrote:
with the range of the sword and some active camo you are UNSTOPPIBLE!
No, the Prophet's Bane plus Smart Scope is one of the scumiest tactics in the history of Halo.
For those who don't know, The Undercity of Suniaon map gives players an infinite energy Prophet's Bane to use, if they can get it in the middle of the map. It is then incredibly easy for the PB player to crouch walk to the enemy base, camp the flag, and regularly send it to the middle of the map. It also makes flag scoring for the enemy team nigh on impossible.
PB offers unlimited cloak, increased Smart Scope range, and I believe a movement speed buff. Seriously OP.
It just takes a team effort to fight and find the Bane. Yes it is extremely difficult and a very unique wrinkle to the game type on that map
Delta5931 wrote:
No, the Prophet's Bane plus Smart Scope is one of the scumiest tactics in the history of Halo.
For those who don't know, The Undercity of Suniaon map gives players an infinite energy Prophet's Bane to use, if they can get it in the middle of the map. It is then incredibly easy for the PB player to crouch walk to the enemy base, camp the flag, and regularly send it to the middle of the map. It also makes flag scoring for the enemy team nigh on impossible.
PB offers unlimited cloak, increased Smart Scope range, and I believe a movement speed buff. Seriously OP.
It just takes a team effort to fight and find the Bane. Yes it is extremely difficult and a very unique wrinkle to the game type on that map
Which you can't really coordinate with pubs and no mic.
PB is overpowred on UcoS with infinite energy. Needs to be removed or revised.
yeah its pretty dumb
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
I guess i did not think of playing with Randy's and no Mics. I always play with a team of at least 4 and up to 8
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
I guess i did not think of playing with Randy's and no Mics. I always play with a team of at least 4 and up to 8
Which means you can say "Prophet's Bane on our flag. Lets go get him"
Pubs won't even acknowledge the flag being away from base unless they can see it. Even if there's a trend of the flag consistently getting taken and sent to the middle of the map.
How are players in castle wars lunging sooo far after being hit ?
You never played Halo 2, did you? The lunge from the energy sword in Halo 5 pale's in comparison to Halo 2's sword
You never played Halo 2, did you? The lunge from the energy sword in Halo 5 pale's in comparison to Halo 2's sword
I agree but the main problem I think the people complaining about this have is that instead of everyone having this lunch you need to actively toggle the ability lunge a long distance. I mean I like the ability to increase the lunge distance with smart link since it adds a new mechanic that is fairly simple to use that gives a advantage to those who know how to use it and it makes the lunch slower (I actually notice myself lunging when using it,) giving a larger time to be shot out of it as well as it takes a couple more seconds to do then the standard lunge.
Halo 2's Energy Sword was also infinite in every mode bar campaign.
Oh how fun that was.
I agree but the main problem I think the people complaining about this have is that instead of everyone having this lunch you need to actively toggle the ability lunge a long distance. I mean I like the ability to increase the lunge distance with smart link since it adds a new mechanic that is fairly simple to use that gives a advantage to those who know how to use it and it makes the lunch slower (I actually notice myself lunging when using it,) giving a larger time to be shot out of it as well as it takes a couple more seconds to do then the standard lunge.
Fair point
Well let's not get nasty here I've been playing Halo since the beginning. And H5 sword is way more powerful than H2 sword.
Well let's not get nasty here I've been playing Halo since the beginning. And H5 sword is way more powerful than H2 sword.
I'm not getting nasty, just assumed is all. The sword in Halo 5 may be more powerful but we're talking about the lunge. The Halo 2 lunge is insane compared to every other energy sword
Nooga wrote:
BadDogg55 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Smart Scope.
The trick I'd use every time I play. Most players don't know about the extreme lunge range of the energy sword with Smart Scope, so they can't counter it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually never thought about using smart scope with the sword.. Does it work with the hammer also?
It does and its amazing. Im honestly shocked that people dont know this though.
TBH I will admit I just noobed out and never thought of trying smart scope and in all fairness it's not easy to pull of there still is skill involved.
Ya I never thought about using the smart link with it and when I did I don' ever remember attacking with it on. That and I don' really use the energy sword preferring the gravity hammer to the sword in grifball. It's a nice trick. I own every halo but the one u can't play on any Xbox. And have been playing sine halo CE was release. So I guess I'm a legacy player too. Amd i can honestly say that i dont care I never figured it out before or that it's actually in the game.
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys some legacy players. How is it that something like this can be a feature of the game and I'm only finding out about it two years after launch? Maybe because it shouldn't be there in the first place? Maybe because anybody who's ever used a sword before would never even think to look for a gimmick this absurd to be a part of Halo gameplay? I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing so I jumped to the (obvious) conclusion that either they were cheating or that there was some kind of connection problem. In every instance I quit the match. Now that I know what the -yoink!- is going on I won't quit anymore. I just won't go into that idiotic playlist to begin with. Thanks, once again, for finding ways to make this game harder because nothing says "fun, casual game mode" like a steeper skill curve.
I knew about it since launch, I remember it being discussed in some early halo 5 youtube videos on popular youtube channels, I just kinda assumed that everyone knew about it. I mean I kinda got in the habit of always incorporating this mechanic whenever I use the sword.
I've owned the fact that it's the responsibility of the player to know the game, but I still have a problem with game features that could only be discovered by watching youtube videos or playing with someone who already knows. To me it feels a lot like one of those Halo 2 button combo glitches. Some people knew about them and some people didn't. The difference, of course, is that sword lunge is not a glitch and is not disowned by its creators. But it still artificially creates a group of haves and a group of have-nots. I'll admit that the have-nots may be a lot fewer than I think, but I still question the wisdom behind the mechanic. I mean, is this what we've come to? Do I need a Halo prep course before I actually start playing the game? It feels as it Halos 1, 2, 3, Reach, and 4 count for nothing. Don't even bother trying to hit the target, recon. We're just gonna keep moving it on you.
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys some legacy players. How is it that something like this can be a feature of the game and I'm only finding out about it two years after launch? Maybe because it shouldn't be there in the first place? Maybe because anybody who's ever used a sword before would never even think to look for a gimmick this absurd to be a part of Halo gameplay? I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing so I jumped to the (obvious) conclusion that either they were cheating or that there was some kind of connection problem. In every instance I quit the match. Now that I know what the -yoink!- is going on I won't quit anymore. I just won't go into that idiotic playlist to begin with. Thanks, once again, for finding ways to make this game harder because nothing says "fun, casual game mode" like a steeper skill curve.
I knew about it since launch, I remember it being discussed in some early halo 5 youtube videos on popular youtube channels, I just kinda assumed that everyone knew about it. I mean I kinda got in the habit of always incorporating this mechanic whenever I use the sword.
I've owned the fact that it's the responsibility of the player to know the game, but I still have a problem with game features that could only be discovered by watching youtube videos or playing with someone who already knows. To me it feels a lot like one of those Halo 2 button combo glitches. Some people knew about them and some people didn't. The difference, of course, is that sword lunge is not a glitch and is not disowned by its creators. But it still artificially creates a group of haves and a group of have-nots. I'll admit that the have-nots may be a lot fewer than I think, but I still question the wisdom behind the mechanic. I mean, is this what we've come to? Do I need a Halo prep course before I actually start playing the game? It feels as it Halos 1, 2, 3, Reach, and 4 count for nothing. Don't even bother trying to hit the target, recon. We're just gonna keep moving it on you.
So do updates by 343i on waypoint count? I see that youre ODST Onyx so youre here quite a bit.

2/5/15With the introduction of our new Smart-Link aiming system we’ve given all weapons the ability to zoom.

So now that we have established that 343i told us about the feature and how it is on ALL weapons we can drop all of the "they should have told me" talk. Yes?
Nooga wrote:
So do updates by 343i on waypoint count? I see that youre ODST Onyx so youre here quite a bit.

2/5/15With the introduction of our new Smart-Link aiming system we’ve given all weapons the ability to zoom.

So now that we have established that 343i told us about the feature and how it is on ALL weapons we can drop all of the "they should have told me" talk. Yes?
It's commendable that they called out that smartlink would be universal. I remember the first time I used zoom on an AR and thought to myself, "even if it doesn't increase the range, it's nice to be able to stretch my gaze." But never in a million years would I ever have thought, let alone assumed, that the ability to zoom would alter the mechanics of the gun. To my knowledge, having zoom alter the striking range of the sword is not just a first for the sword, it's a first for any weapon in any version of Halo. Zooming, by definition, is bring the target closer to you - in effect, enlarging the hit box. Neverminding that melee weapons and scopes go together like fish and bicycles, the effect with the sword is not to increase the size of the hit box. It's just making it so the melee weapon has an extra-melee range. Leaving aside the question of whether it makes any logical sense, or is something anyone would even think to look for or experiment with, I would ask what purpose the mechanic serves? What is it supposed to add (or take away) from gameplay?

Even more importantly, I would ask whether or not such a mechanic qualifies as an easter egg, and I would ask whether or not it's realistic to expect the average player to hunt for these types of things, or to even know that there are things to be hunted for? The link you provided merely says "smart-link across all weapons." It says nothing about precedent-breaking weapon mechanic changes when used. I keep coming back to the idea of the average player. I look at the position of this game on the xbl most-played list and I suspect that most average players left this game a long time ago. Did scope lunging drive them all away? Probably not. Is sword lunging an example of a designer mindset that gives the appearance of disdain for casual players? For average players? I'm not at all 100% sure that I know the answers to these questions, but I've had my suspicions for a long time, and the revelation of scope lunging hasn't done anything to allay them.

So no, I don't think 343 is under any obligation to tell me anything. I also don't think, as you seem to, that the link provides proof of anything except that they said, "Here's a new thing called smartlink and it would take too long to tell you all the strange and new ways it will affect your gameplay, so just figure it all out on your own." But even if it did, I think you're putting a lot of faith in players to research their game before they play it. I guess it's a nice idea, but I'm not sure how realistic I think it is.
In short:

Balling your fist and raising the sword up to your face, while glaring, enables you to fly half way across the map.
they aim in
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
Nooga wrote:
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys legacy players.
How is looking at prelaunch information for a new highly anticipated games homework? Also, kudos again for taking another part of my post out of context. The IGN article i posyed was one of many examples of the information you asked about. I did mention that in my response to you if you had bothered to read it.
Try to keep in mind that im not saying, nor had previously said, that there is anything wrong with you not knowing about the mechanic. Its when you start blaming someone other than yourself for not knowing about a core game mechanic that i take issue.
Maybe i was looking forward to the game more than the average player. I read and watched everything i could about it from announcement until launch so there wasnt very much that wasnt kept entirely secret that i didnt know. Maybe its the control scheme you use. I used Bumper Jumper until Halo 5 where the vastly superior Helljumper was introduced. Using LT to aim makes it more natural to ADS with everything.
Im sure youll find a way to yet again, and most likely fail again, attempt to twist my words to fit your agenda. But it would probably be easier to just say "Well -Yoink-. I didnt know about this feature but now i do. Thanks!"
Now we're getting somewhere.

I'm really not trying to blame anyone for anything here, except in the largest possible sense where I am, and have been for a long time, blaming 343 for building a game which takes a long tradition of Halo that is "simple to learn, hard to master," and make it "hard to learn, impossible to master." Yes, I'm frustrated that it took two years for me to realize that scope-lunge was a thing, but that, as already noted if only bitterly, is my responsibility. But I still reserve the right to question the developers judgment on larger issues of game design, issues of which the scope-lunge is a fine example.

But I'm also glad you brought up the concept of control schemes because they are, by extension, another signal example of what I'm talking about. Yes, it is my responsibility if I choose not to adopt a new control scheme that allows me to play competitively, or in the case of ground pound, to execute a new mechanic at all. But it's also just plain bad judgment on the part of the developer to expect a dedicated (albeit non-competitive) player to throw away sixteen years of accumulated knowledge and muscle memory in the difficult change over to bumper-jumper or whatever the layout of the day happens to be. Responsibility: mine. Bad judgment: theirs.

Sorry for the agenda, if that's what we're calling a desire for a straight-forward and playable game.
I used Recon, which was i believe the default settings in CE please correct me if im wrong, from CE through Halo Reach. In 4 i actually used Fishstick. Not only because it closely mirrors CoD controls which i was heavily into at the time but i also appreciated the pun. In MCC i went back to the Recon i knew and loved for at least 6 months until a friend told me about the benefits of Bumper Jumper so again i switched to that through the first year or so into Halo 5. I was bored and looking through the control schemes and noticed Helljumper. A mix between the Fishstick i used in Halo 4 with the added awesomeness of Bumper Jumper? -Yoink- yes! Not a single time in my history of Halo have i ever felt like i was expected to switch to a controller setting the devs liked. If that were the case i would be using the default setting. CE being an exception because it was the first console shooter that i played with a good controller setup so why mess with a good thing. At some point i will search this website for an update or something directly from 343 before launch that states that smart scope is on every weapon because im almost sure its here. Have to be at work early or i would now.

In response to your little quip at the end there. If the game isnt playable why on earth would you sink over 3 weeks of your life into it?
I actually never change the control scheme in any Halo game, I always play with the default. As for the discussion about smart-link on energy swords, I found out because I just naturally checked all the weapons I picked up for a zoom-in option (or at least I did with Halo 5, since smart-link seemed to add zoom to everything).
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I don't really like it. It wasn't needed and zooming in just makes it awkward while trying to kill someone especially if you were sprinting.
This pretty useful when playing slayer or other gametypes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4