1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Nooga wrote:
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys some legacy players. How is it that something like this can be a feature of the game and I'm only finding out about it two years after launch? Maybe because it shouldn't be there in the first place? Maybe because anybody who's ever used a sword before would never even think to look for a gimmick this absurd to be a part of Halo gameplay? I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing so I jumped to the (obvious) conclusion that either they were cheating or that there was some kind of connection problem. In every instance I quit the match. Now that I know what the -yoink!- is going on I won't quit anymore. I just won't go into that idiotic playlist to begin with. Thanks, once again, for finding ways to make this game harder because nothing says "fun, casual game mode" like a steeper skill curve.
--snip--
It's obvious you're intentionally being misleading and moving the goal posts and then you're doubling down to try to save face.
Quote:
But never in a million years would I ever have thought, let alone assumed, that the ability to zoom would alter the mechanics of the gun.
Really? I find it hard to believe that you would never have thought that zooming in would alter mechanics of a gun since most games make guns more accurate with a tighter spread and easier to aim.

Quote:
To my knowledge, having zoom alter the striking range of the sword is not just a first for the sword, it's a first for any weapon in any version of Halo. Zooming, by definition, is bring the target closer to you - in effect, enlarging the hit box. Neverminding that melee weapons and scopes go together like fish and bicycles, the effect with the sword is not to increase the size of the hit box. It's just making it so the melee weapon has an extra-melee range. Leaving aside the question of whether it makes any logical sense, or is something anyone would even think to look for or experiment with, I would ask what purpose the mechanic serves? What is it supposed to add (or take away) from gameplay?
Filler text to distract and then asking a question to avoid being asked "How could you not put 2 and 2 together and figure out that the sword has smart link?". The purpose of the mechanic is to zoom in with the sword, and lunge further. That's how it is designed. It's designed to pick out an opponent and close the distance if they do or do not have a weapon with longer range than the sword.

Quote:
Even more importantly, I would ask whether or not such a mechanic qualifies as an easter egg, and I would ask whether or not it's realistic to expect the average player to hunt for these types of things, or to even know that there are things to be hunted for?
No, it's not an easter egg. Yes its realistic to expect the average player to figure this out. That's what games are about, and there are plenty of opportunities in the single player campaign to figure out how to move, aim, shoot and use the features you are provided. The onus is on the game to convey the world and the rules that it abides by and you, the average player, to figure out how to play.

Quote:
I keep coming back to the idea of the average player. I look at the position of this game on the xbl most-played list and I suspect that most average players left this game a long time ago. Did scope lunging drive them all away? Probably not. Is sword lunging an example of a designer mindset that gives the appearance of disdain for casual players? For average players? I'm not at all 100% sure that I know the answers to these questions, but I've had my suspicions for a long time, and the revelation of scope lunging hasn't done anything to allay them.
This has nothing to do with anything. You're merely trying to distract anyone from catching your mistake. Halo being low on the top #50 is because of a whole other myriad of issues with no proof for any of them.

Quote:
So no, I don't think 343 is under any obligation to tell me anything. I also don't think, as you seem to, that the link provides proof of anything except that they said, "Here's a new thing called smartlink and it would take too long to tell you all the strange and new ways it will affect your gameplay, so just figure it all out on your own." But even if it did, I think you're putting a lot of faith in players to research their game before they play it. I guess it's a nice idea, but I'm not sure how realistic I think it is.
You claimed you didn't know zooming in with the sword was a thing. When you were corrected, you claimed that 343i should have told you it was a thing. When you were corrected again that 343 did explain it, you claim it's not enough of an explanation and that the "average player" couldn't figure it out.

How long are you going to double down to try to save face here? You're not fooling anyone. It's alright to say you didn't know about it and you don't like it, but you're attempting to lump other mysterious "average players" in with some existential thoughts about a video game and picking some words from a thesaurus, thinking you're proving your side of the argument right.
I love to use smart scope. Just press the scope button that you would normally use on other games.
This pretty useful when playing slayer or other gametypes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't
How is adding a smart scope on the sword where you have to zoom in to get the full range more useful than just having the entire red reticule range on a sword that doesn't have a zoom? I can only think of one useful thing which doesn't outweigh the cons. For your second point, it's called stating an opinion. I know there are people who like it, but that doesn't mean I can't say how I feel about it.
DSight wrote:
Nooga wrote:
For the record, 343, this is the kind of thing that frustrates and annoys some legacy players. How is it that something like this can be a feature of the game and I'm only finding out about it two years after launch? Maybe because it shouldn't be there in the first place? Maybe because anybody who's ever used a sword before would never even think to look for a gimmick this absurd to be a part of Halo gameplay? I've been in castle wars a handful of times, and I've been killed by people doing this, only of course I didn't know that it was a thing so I jumped to the (obvious) conclusion that either they were cheating or that there was some kind of connection problem. In every instance I quit the match. Now that I know what the -yoink!- is going on I won't quit anymore. I just won't go into that idiotic playlist to begin with. Thanks, once again, for finding ways to make this game harder because nothing says "fun, casual game mode" like a steeper skill curve.
--snip--
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, I still have my reservations, but I can see that you don't, and I'm honestly a little jealous since mine are affecting my appreciation of the game. But that's the way it goes. Developers develop and then each of us decides for ourselves where we stand. Thanks for the response - gave me a few things to think about.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
This pretty useful when playing slayer or other gametypes. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others don't
How is adding a smart scope on the sword where you have to zoom in to get the full range more useful than just having the entire red reticule range on a sword that doesn't have a zoom? I can only think of one useful thing which doesn't outweigh the cons. For your second point, it's called stating an opinion. I know there are people who like it, but that doesn't mean I can't say how I feel about it.
if the sword didn't have smart scope and the max rrr was not zoomed in it could be to over powered.
if the sword didn't have smart scope and the max rrr was not zoomed in it could be to over powered.
If you zoom in which takes less than a second, you would get the same range, so how is that not overpowered as well? Keep in mind, that you are still able to zoom in when someone is shooting at you. To make it less OP as you put it, reduce the RRR of the sword, keep the sword usage meter and get rid of the redundant zoom click.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4