Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Teammates trying to kill me (friendly fire sucks)

OP JensBoef

I don't know why friendly fire is in the game. I had players follow me around during matches. So instead of 4v4 slayer, those matches turned into some weird form of 3v5 slayer. Only after getting killed 3 times I had the option to report the player. It was on a different account though (Jenzert). But by the time I had the option to report and kick him we were 25 points behind and the teammate who kept killing me didn't kill a single enemy player and only followed me during the matches.

Ugh. The weirdest part is he didn't even send a message why he did it like: "hey, this one time, you threw a grenade at the enemy, but it also hit me. So that's why I kept following the next few matches and killed you 6 times."

I hope friendly fire gets removed in Halo Infinite.
Even if we had no friendly fire here (and there have been threads where people have put forward reasons why removing it would be wrong), he would still have followed you, hitting you in the back, blocking your path etc. There are some dumb....... (insert your own word here) about. Just ignore and hope they get hit by a bus tomorrow (if anyone as been hit by a bus and feels affended then I'm sorry).
Friendly fire was off in Halo 4 and wasn't received too well. Not as severely as other aspects of the game, but I don't recall many people being happy about it. It prevents you from just mindlessly spamming grenades and rockets and forces you to make considered choices based on your teammate's positioning, but unfortunately you are left open to the situation you posted.

The Fiesta playlist does not have friendly fire on if you want to remove that possibility completely from your matches, but overall I think you just encountered a bad player. All you can do is report them and move on, as I'm sure you don't encounter this type of behavior every game.
I’m with you on this. I don’t see the need for it in social playlists at all. People don’t think about their actions like grenade throws anyway, so turning friendly fire off would make the experience better for everyone. The best part would be no pettiness when going for vehicles and power weapons. I believe friendly fire should still remain in ranked though.
I agree with Amber and JB. I think the important thing is to report players like this. If said player had every “victim” report them, it would eventually catch up with their gamer account.
This has been around in every game, even those without friendly fire. Just report and move on. It happens.
JensBoef wrote:
Only after getting killed 3 times I had the option to report the player.
You can report a player at any time by opening their Xbox Live Gamercard and going down to report. You can submit a report for "Unsporting Conduct", which includes things like team killing and griefing, and you can add comments to the report if you desire.

It takes 3 betrayals before you get the option to remove a team killer from your game, which is likely in place so that accidental betrayals don't get immediately punished with a boot.
Each option has its downsides, so I guess it just depends on what you think is the lesser evil with your gaming experience and that can vary with each person so it's not a clear cut answer.
Chimera30 wrote:
JensBoef wrote:
Only after getting killed 3 times I had the option to report the player.
You can report a player at any time by opening their Xbox Live Gamercard and going down to report. You can submit a report for "Unsporting Conduct", which includes things like team killing and griefing, and you can add comments to the report if you desire.

It takes 3 betrayals before you get the option to remove a team killer from your game, which is likely in place so that accidental betrayals don't get immediately punished with a boot.
Yes, thanks. I'm aware of the option of reporting the player through Xbox. But that doesn't have effect immediately.

I was just frustrated that it took 3 kills to get the option to report him through Halo 5. And the first time I accidently clicked the option to report him away. So he had to kill me another three times to get the option again.

But something could be done. Keep friendly fire, but make it so that friendly grenades/bullets do half the damage of enemy grenades/bullets. That way it would be really boring to try to kill teammates.

Oh well...I don't expect anything to change in H5, I hope something just changes in Halo Infinite.
I pray that friendly fire stays on. I play with friends and what makes Halo well HALO are the shenanigans to be had.....Most revolving friendly fire
Some players are just dumb. Here's what I tend to do, in order:
1. Kill them for killing me.
2. Either they stop, or they kill me again. If so, their teamkill count is two.
3. Either kill them again, or shoot them a lot. Be careful not to kill them, as 3 teamkills allows them to kick you from the game. At this point, the jerk player will either kill you again or not. If they do, kick them when prompted.
4. If the jerk teammate doesn't kill you a 3rd time, damage yourself with your own grenade (keep some shield remaining) and then agitate the teammate. With luck, they will retaliate and accidentally kill you, believing your shields to be full. If they do, kick them when prompted.

Obviously, this involves your being a bit of a jerk as well, but hitting them with their own medicine seems to be pretty effective. And entertaining. >:D
At the end of the day, it's just a game, so each player will have to decide whether to get worked up over this kind of rudeness. :P
JensBoef wrote:
I don't know why friendly fire is in the game. I had players follow me around during matches. So instead of 4v4 slayer, those matches turned into some weird form of 3v5 slayer. Only after getting killed 3 times I had the option to report the player. It was on a different account though (Jenzert). But by the time I had the option to report and kick him we were 25 points behind and the teammate who kept killing me didn't kill a single enemy player and only followed me during the matches.

Ugh. The weirdest part is he didn't even send a message why he did it like: "hey, this one time, you threw a grenade at the enemy, but it also hit me. So that's why I kept following the next few matches and killed you 6 times."

it will always be in ranked. just out maneuver your teammates if they do that... or boot them.
I remember a teammate won’t stop trying to kill me. We won but I left so he would stop attacking me
Sypriz wrote:
JensBoef wrote:

it will always be in ranked. just out maneuver your teammates if they do that... or boot them.
Well the problem is you can only boot them after you died 3 times. And if you accidentally click the boot option away, you have to die another 3 times. No way you can fix the game after that.

And out maneuver is pretty hard if you have 5 opponents and 2 teammates...
Friendly fire makes sense in competitive modes becouse it adds a sense of realism
People are always going to find a way to mess with you that's just how it is the best you can do is ignore them and report them.