Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Thank You, 343

OP Dredica

Thank you so much for creating this playlist, 343. It may be treason, but I'd argue that the Halo 3 Throwback playlist is actually better than Halo 3's multiplayer. The BR is actually useful, there's no lag whatsoever, and it looks/feels modern. If Halo 6 shipped with at least one Throwback playlist, I'd be more than content.

I fall under the category of the Halo fanbase that loves Bungie's Halo, and 343's Halo. Story-wise, Halo 4 had the best writing/character development, but it wasn't the most fun to play; as for Halo 5, I won't give 343 any grievances because I know they were under an unfair deadline, the same applies to the MCC.

You guys have the potential to write the most emotional Halo story, because even Destiny 2's most touching moments will never live up to the experience that was Halo 4. 343 surpassed Bungie in terms of storytelling, and it's a shame that people, for whatever reason, had a problem with Halo 4. It was time to kill Cortana, to give Chief a shot at being human- people who demanded her return were short-sighted. Jon could have developed SO much from Cortana's death, as we saw with the first Halo 5 trailer.

Why am I bringing this up while talking about the Throwback playlist? It's because I love 343's take on Halo, how they actually care about the expanded lore, and want to play around with Halo's mechanics. I think there's a time and a place for everything, and Halo 5: Guardians was a mistep in implementing sprint, spartan abilities, and so forth. But that isn't 343's fault. Guardians was originally supposed to be a side game, like Halo 3: ODST. Just from playing Guardian's campaign, you feel like it's part of a much bigger picture, which was supposed to be Halo 5- the same way ODST tied into Halo 3. Now, I love Halo 5's multiplayer, and while it doesn't feel like classic Halo, just having the Throwback playlist is enough for me.

I've been playing Halo since Combat Evolved. The franchise literally grew up with me. Halo is the only shooter series I continuously return to. I can say I come back for the story, the characters, the gameplay- it doesn't matter. There's a magic in Halo, the same way there's magic in Final Fantasy. There's this mythic status that comes with the Halo games, and as far as I'm concerned, Destiny included, there's not a single shooter that rivals it. To this day, I choose Halo 5 over any other shooter, Throwback playlist or not. I love 343's take on Halo, and while yeah, I wish they'd make Halo 6 like the Throwback playlist (since it's better than the original Halo trilogy), if they decide to revamp Halo again, I'm sure I'll love it. I just want there to be a Throwback playlist, like with this one.

Some fans say it has to be one or the other, but I can't stress how much fun it is to jump from the Halo 3 Throwback playlist and then straight into Super Fiesta, or Warzone. I LOVE having that much freedom, those many choices, in one game. Neither gametypes are bad. Again, I will still choose Halo 5 over Battlefield One, Destiny 1 and 2, Call of Duty Black Ops, as a stretch, even Horizon Zero Dawn. To be able to have the oldschool feeling of Halo, and whatever take 343 wants to experiment with next, on Halo 6, it would be a dream come true.

If anyone from 343 reads this, please consider what I've said. Again, I've been a die-hard Halo fan since Combat Evolved. The most well-written story is, hands down, Halo 4. The most fun gameplay is Halo 5's Throwback Playlist, as opposed to the original Halo 3. 343 has the ability to make the best Halo game EVER. Please, use that ability and make all of us as happy as I am now.

Again, thank you for listening to fans and creating this playlist.

EDIT: I want to include that my most memorable Halo match took place in Halo 4. I still tell people about the crazy, amazing things that happened in that match. And my favorite Halo match I've ever played, and I've been playing since Combat Evolved, happened recently in the Halo 3 Throwback playlist. I know Halo's in the right hands, 343. You guys rock.
The playlist is very well done I agree. Glad to see some people are enjoying themselves!
The playlist is cool..
Dredica wrote:
It may be treason, but I'd argue that the Halo 3 Throwback playlist is actually better than Halo 3's multiplayer.
100% agree.
Feel free to leave your thoughts on the H3 playlist here. Honestly speaking, I am terrible at this playlist.
I also loved the H2 playlist and wished both of them could stay as primary playlists.
Halo Classic Trowback (permanent social playlist). Like as H3 trowback, but:

- Best maps from HCE to H3 (forge maps also)
- H2 Battle Rifle as primary weapon
Damn I really wish I was home to try this playlist out.

Also so I totally agree with what you said OP, despite the fact I haven’t played this playlist yet, you have clearly explained my opinion in a way that I could not.
Thanks (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
I dont know but when I play this playlist solo, always my teammates are awful on an impressive level, it's frustrating
I do wish (not even sure if it would be possible) brought back duel wielding for this playlist. Lot of work, but well, hopefully in Halo 6.
Will222222 wrote:
I do wish (not even sure if it would be possible) brought back duel wielding for this playlist. Lot of work, but well, hopefully in Halo 6.
It's more than possible, but with the heavy lean towards competition and skilled play now, dual wielding is very likely never coming back.
I'm curious what you mean by the br now being "useful". It's always been useful even when it had netcode issues, it was the most used weapon in H3.
Alucardko wrote:
I dont know but when I play this playlist solo, always my teammates are awful on an impressive level, it's frustrating
I too have played against and with these teammates... Some games have been steak dinners for sure..... Then some I've been beat because my team was just horrible.
Alucardko wrote:
Yeah, like I'm no expert player myself, but sometimes I watch my teammates and they're busy throwing grenades at eachother, not shooting enemies when they have a chance, falling off cliffs and stealing then wasting the Power Weapons on maps. Meanwhile the enemy are getting perfect kills, headshots all the way, assassinations left right and centre, and have about 10 more kills than us.

Then all my team leaves and I'm alone against 4 other players.

I've stopped playing Halo for a bit, but I hope on the odd occasion I keep playing that I don't get lobbied in with folks like that.
Alucardko wrote:
The last time I played I felt like had the same issue and I played so many games like that until I got frustated and changed the playlist. Probably just a coincidence although it's funny that you also did bring it up.
Looks like i have a reason to go back to H5.
The take away from this playlist: 343i found the perfect blend between old and new and NEED to implement it kno their future games to hold a steady multiplayer base population. And that old halo fans will come back if the game play stays true to the halo formula people love and not main stream features added to attract other audiences.
Nooga wrote:
Dredica wrote:
It may be treason, but I'd argue that the Halo 3 Throwback playlist is actually better than Halo 3's multiplayer.
100% agree.
it's a great playlist just wish they maybe added a btb throwback playlist
HaXoR73 wrote:
Feel free to leave your thoughts on the H3 playlist here. Honestly speaking, I am terrible at this playlist.
Probably best if we continue discussion on the Halo 3 playlist there ^