1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
I still think of halo 3 as classic and it had abilities
What are you talking about? Equipment? Not abilities my friend. Not game breaking.
This is a classic 343 moment. It's like they took a turd, painted it gold, and tried to sell it again.
I'm not gonna defend the current idea of "classic", but in another thread, Sketch mentioned bringing up an ability-free playlist to the MP team. So at least there's that.
I've already put my copy of Halo 5 on Craigslist. This was the last straw, at least Gears 4 has the EXACT same gameplay. Why don't game developers understand that ALL people want is:

-New Maps, vehicles, weapons.
-Add something small to make it a little different than the previous game.
(Gears 4 added a knife execution which is bad -Yoink- , that's it!)

I would have been perfectly fine with classic Halo gameplay, plus now you can choose your assassination! Or weapon skins for power weapons!

No need to change the damn formula..
People bought Cod for YEARS and it was generally the same every game, which was fine, that's what people want.
Now they go super futuristic and guess what?
Preorders down the -Yoinking!- drain.
I am the last of my friends who even gives Halo 5 some time of day (mostly for the admittedly excellent forge) since they all left weeks into launch due to the weird modern/futuristic shooter mechanic trends as well. They now just play MCC if they want to talk to me or play on their 360's. I don't think that they are wrong to do so either. This 'classic' playlist deal has got me chapped. "Lets slap the CE pistol in and call it a day with a few forge maps!" I don't want to be cruel, but who thought that constituted its own playlist advertised as an 'anniversary' playlist?

It's bad enough I can't escape the Spartan abilities permeating the gameplay formula and map design. A anniversary playlist (which is just slayer or objective with CE pistols) feels like a slap in the face with the Spartan Abilities.
I'm not gonna defend the current idea of "classic", but in another thread, Sketch mentioned bringing up an ability-free playlist to the MP team. So at least there's that.
I've already put my copy of Halo 5 on Craigslist. This was the last straw, at least Gears 4 has the EXACT same gameplay. Why don't game developers understand that ALL people want is:

-New Maps, vehicles, weapons.
-Add something small to make it a little different than the previous game.
(Gears 4 added a knife execution which is bad -Yoink- , that's it!)

I would have been perfectly fine with classic Halo gameplay, plus now you can choose your assassination! Or weapon skins for power weapons!

No need to change the damn formula..
People bought Cod for YEARS and it was generally the same every game, which was fine, that's what people want.
Now they go super futuristic and guess what?
Preorders down the -Yoinking!- drain.
I am the last of my friends who even gives Halo 5 some time of day (mostly for the admittedly excellent forge) since they all left weeks into launch due to the weird modern/futuristic shooter mechanic trends as well. They now just play MCC if they want to talk to me or play on their 360's. I don't think that they are wrong to do so either. This 'classic' playlist deal has got me chapped. "Lets slap the CE pistol in and call it a day with a few forge maps!" I don't want to be cruel, but who thought that constituted its own playlist advertised as an 'anniversary' playlist?

It's bad enough I can't escape the Spartan abilities permeating the gameplay formula and map design. A anniversary playlist (which is just slayer or objective with CE pistols) feels like a slap in the face with the Spartan Abilities.
This is why I moved to Overwatch/Titanfall/Gears for the most part. I can't stand seeing what Halo has become. It's lost its identity and just tried to copy things from other games. I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 6 has Ultimates like Overwatch. I still like playing the classic Halo games but everytime I try Halo 5 it just feels like there are a dozen other games doing what Halo 5 is doing.
If they release a Halo 3 anniversary edition I will buy it.
Just no bugs or server issues please.
All 343 did was take people's maps and change the starting weapon. Like, really? That's the best they got? I bet any one of us could make a more 'classic' playlist
343 tried so hard, and got so far...but in the end, it didn't even maaatter
Hmm, that sounds familiar.

Almost like Bravo never left.
I don't follow?
"I'll have to pass that along to the proper team"

-Bravo
When I heard that a classic playlist was making its way into Halo 5 is was beyond excited. I am NOT a fan of Halo 5's gameplay and to hear that a classic playlist was making its way into Halo 5 made me REALLY happy. It showed us that 343 actually listened to the community for once. However, when I saw the new community update and read about the "classic" playlist I only felt disappointment and anger. Here is why I feel this way...
  1. The presence of Spartan abilities. If this is supposed to be a classic playlist then WHY are Spartan abilities in it?!? It wont REMOTELY play like the original CE. The map balance will be ruined due to sprint and ADS and they wont play like the original versions of those maps.
  2. Why is it only Halo : CE? Halo 2 and 3 were way more popular than CE (I still love the original CE to death). Also Halo CE doesn't have too any great maps (braces for a tonne of hate). Sure there's Blood gulch, Hang em High, Sidewinder and Battle creak but they're the only maps that stand out and are really memorable. Halo 2 and 3 on the other hand have lots of great and memorable maps like Ascension, Lockout, Zanzibar, Cogulation, Midship, Ivory tower, The pit, Valhalla, Sandtrap, Standoff, Guardian, Snowbound, Narrows and High ground and I'm completely baffled on why they didn't make it into the classic playlist as the H2 BR would have been fine as a loadout weapon.
  3. If you say you're making a classic playlist but it has Spartan abilities then DON'T CALL IT A CLASSIC PLAYLIST!!!. This is another Fall of Reach animated series because they tied to deceive us by making the title sound like it doesn't have Spartan abilities but in fact its only just a CE themed playlist in Halo 5.
This has shown me that 343 put about 10% effort into this. Its just taking forged maps by the community, setting the loadout weapon as the CE magnum and there it is. They treated this "CLASSIC" playlist with as much effort as they put into BTB. This has shown me how 343 treat things that the community want. they either :
  • Refuse to patch/release it with the game. This applies for customisation options like black undersuits and playable elites and also gamemodes like KOTH and Oddball. Things that the community has been begging for are pushed aside for pointless, unnecessary req items that NOBODY asked for.
  • Or they release the things that the community have asked for but they launch with too few maps (takes MONTHS for new maps to arrive) or they launch full of glitches and bugs and most likely haven't been playtested, or they launch with a quarter of the content that was in previous iterations of those gamemods (*cough* BTB *cough*).
I have simply come to the conclusion that 343 does not care anymore. They treat something that the community has been asking for since day 1 and just spat on it. Some of you may say that if you want a classic playlist then go play MCC but MCC is plagued by tonnes of glitches, bugs and server issues and you can only find games in very popular gamemodes like BTB and Team slayer. Trying to find games in Doubles, Halo 2 Classic and Team Halo 2 Anniversary is basically impossible if you live outside the U.S. (I live in Ireland).
MCC is much more enjoyable than H5
343 tried so hard
no they didnot, they did not even try that is the issue here...
Hmm, that sounds familiar.

Almost like Bravo never left.
I don't follow?
"I'll have to pass that along to the proper team"

-Bravo
Well what do you want? They are/were just the community managers. They can't do anything more than pass it along.
I.......agree, I have supported a lot of the stuff 343 have done and have been labeled a "fan boy" , just because I prefer h5 to ALL other halos combined (my opinion) but I agree this defeats the whole purpose of a classic playlist, as variety is good, at least name it something else :(
Just wanted to leave this here :)

Have to be honest I'm just as disappointed as you all are, but I think for different reasons, and I try to think of these things with cold logic when I can.
Its just foolish that they decided to call it "classic" - literally ruined the hype with this misnomer, and have annoyed the piss out of a lot of fans.
I have always been been a fan of older maps remade in forge - both reimagining of maps and maps that are 1:1 recreated. People have this knee jerk reaction that because they were designed around different mechanics there is 100% certainty that they won't work or play well. This is incorrect IMO - they won't play the SAME as they did, but it's entirely possible they will still work. My friends and I play custom warm up games on the [phenonemal] high Citadel and Narrows remakes, both designed to be 1:1 remakes. The flow is different, but not bad in any way.
As much as I am frustrated and disappointed in this playlist like the rest of you, I am looking forward to trying the playlist for one big reason. I think that most of the dev made H5 maps are garbage (a few exceptions, coliseum for example) and I think that the old maps are patently better. Plus, forgers have an insane amount of talent with this stuff. I would rather play classic CE maps like Prisoner, Battle Canyon, Hang me High with halo 5 mechanics, however imperfect they may be, THEN EVER PLAY THE ABOMINATIONS OF GAME DESIGN THAT ARE OVERGROWTH AND MOLTEN. Seriously, there's no way that's these old maps will play as badly as Overgrowth. Overgrowth and molten make Hello Kitty Island adventure seem like a worthwhile game.
Im a classic halo fan first and foremeost, and while I have come to enjoy lots of things about halo 5, I still prefer halo CE/ halo 2. Just thought you all might like to hear some reasons from a classic fan that is still disappointed as -Yoink-
When I heard that a classic playlist was making its way into Halo 5 is was beyond excited. I am NOT a fan of Halo 5's gameplay and to hear that a classic playlist was making its way into Halo 5 made me REALLY happy. It showed us that 343 actually listened to the community for once. However, when I saw the new community update and read about the "classic" playlist I only felt disappointment and anger. Here is why I feel this way...
  1. The presence of Spartan abilities. If this is supposed to be a classic playlist then WHY are Spartan abilities in it?!? It wont REMOTELY play like the original CE. The map balance will be ruined due to sprint and ADS and they wont play like the original versions of those maps.
  2. Why is it only Halo : CE? Halo 2 and 3 were way more popular than CE (I still love the original CE to death). Also Halo CE doesn't have too any great maps (braces for a tonne of hate). Sure there's Blood gulch, Hang em High, Sidewinder and Battle creak but they're the only maps that stand out and are really memorable. Halo 2 and 3 on the other hand have lots of great and memorable maps like Ascension, Lockout, Zanzibar, Cogulation, Midship, Ivory tower, The pit, Valhalla, Sandtrap, Standoff, Guardian, Snowbound, Narrows and High ground and I'm completely baffled on why they didn't make it into the classic playlist as the H2 BR would have been fine as a loadout weapon.
  3. If you say you're making a classic playlist but it has Spartan abilities then DON'T CALL IT A CLASSIC PLAYLIST!!!. This is another Fall of Reach animated series because they tied to deceive us by making the title sound like it doesn't have Spartan abilities but in fact its only just a CE themed playlist in Halo 5.
This has shown me that 343 put about 10% effort into this. Its just taking forged maps by the community, setting the loadout weapon as the CE magnum and there it is. They treated this "CLASSIC" playlist with as much effort as they put into BTB. This has shown me how 343 treat things that the community want. they either :
  • Refuse to patch/release it with the game. This applies for customisation options like black undersuits and playable elites and also gamemodes like KOTH and Oddball. Things that the community has been begging for are pushed aside for pointless, unnecessary req items that NOBODY asked for.
  • Or they release the things that the community have asked for but they launch with too few maps (takes MONTHS for new maps to arrive) or they launch full of glitches and bugs and most likely haven't been playtested, or they launch with a quarter of the content that was in previous iterations of those gamemods (*cough* BTB *cough*).
I have simply come to the conclusion that 343 does not care anymore. They treat something that the community has been asking for since day 1 and just spat on it. Some of you may say that if you want a classic playlist then go play MCC but MCC is plagued by tonnes of glitches, bugs and server issues and you can only find games in very popular gamemodes like BTB and Team slayer. Trying to find games in Doubles, Halo 2 Classic and Team Halo 2 Anniversary is basically impossible if you live outside the U.S. (I live in Ireland).
I had a million issues with the Fall of Reach, but spartan abilities were not one of them.
I really kinda like ske7ch so far. At least he was decent enough to warn us about this "classic-but-with-abilities" playlist we are actually getting. The problem lies with the people who make the decisions.

A true CE classic playlist would be remade CE maps, with CE Magnum and SMG starts, no sprint and no abilities. A H2-3 playlist is a H2BR, SMG/AR starts, remade H2 and 3 maps, no sprint and abilities. Mobility settings tuned to each games unique settings

Not a difficult concept if you ask me
its classic throwback so its not classic. hopefully theyll redo h2 and h3 maps without abilities for a classic game mode.
Geeze. Getting real fired up, over here.

There's a lot of reading into we could do about this. Here's my pitch: if you want the genuine classic experience, there is literally a game that you can play to get it, called the Master Chief Collection. Unlike during Halo 2 or Halo 3 or Halo: Reach or Halo 4, where the effort to have the classic experience was necessary because those older games weren't easy to find on store shelves, this is the digital age where the Master Chief Collection can be purchased and played at any time via the internet. The classic experience is right there, always.

Halo 5 shouldn't waste time trying to feel like the other games, because it will inevitably fall short compared to if you had just started up MCC and played that. Instead, they're doing this: a Throwback playlist in Halo 5. It's not trying to be another game, it's just trying to feel a little like it. If that doesn't suit you, you should boot up MCC on Tuesday and play some of the matchmaking in there. Truly classic stuff.
343i's true colors were shown when the decided to not have splitscreen in order to boost xbox 1 sales. After Firefight and now this, it shows that they either:
A- Are really trying their best and just plain suck at making good games
Or
B- Don't care at all about anything except guiding the Halo franchise towards money making by pushing HCS and whatever Microsoft tells them to do.
I still think of halo 3 as classic and it had abilities but I get where you are coming from instead of classic I think it would make sence to refer to it as CE playlist. As time goes on more and more things inevitably become classic just like the beasty boys in Star Trek. To have classic settings from CE only seems kind of selfish and narrow minded why not varying degrees of classic. Pretty sure some people would love a classic Halo 2 or reach playlist.

Its just cause to each game there has always been some thing classic to it halo CE setting the ground work, halo 2 and daul wielding, halo 3 and abilities and interactive environment, halo reach and classes, halo 4 with load outs and recourse drops, halo 5 WZ = Cod snowball effect (I think arena is essentially your "classic" playlist with tacked on abilities which even a fan of abilities wouldn't like which I am a fan of abilities and I dislike halo 5 abilities.

Each change for better till a point then each change lessened till it was no longer a positive with the population reflecting the positives or negatives in the changes.

I kind of went off on a tangent but that's my thoughts on classic playlists :/
Halo 3 had zero abilities.
Geeze. Getting real fired up, over here.

There's a lot of reading into we could do about this. Here's my pitch: if you want the genuine classic experience, there is literally a game that you can play to get it, called the Master Chief Collection. Unlike during Halo 2 or Halo 3 or Halo: Reach or Halo 4, where the effort to have the classic experience was necessary because those older games weren't easy to find on store shelves, this is the digital age where the Master Chief Collection can be purchased and played at any time via the internet. The classic experience is right there, always.

Halo 5 shouldn't waste time trying to feel like the other games, because it will inevitably fall short compared to if you had just started up MCC and played that. Instead, they're doing this: a Throwback playlist in Halo 5. It's not trying to be another game, it's just trying to feel a little like it. If that doesn't suit you, you should boot up MCC on Tuesday and play some of the matchmaking in there. Truly classic stuff.
343 has specifically mentioned how MCC is broke , and are planning on fixing it. Ske7ch wrote about how the team members think about it everyday. So no, refugees can't just go to MCC. Good try
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5