Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The Effect of Micro-transactions on Halo

OP Ar5eNo

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Justima wrote:
Justima wrote:
Justima wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Justima wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
I don't mind micro-transactions AS LONG as they don't alter the game-play or focus of a game.

You can probably tell how I feel about them in Halo 5
It's such tragedy that most people here ignore how REQ is affecting the game fundamentally. When they are out of argument, they justify its existence by "it provides free DLC!" Not to long ago, I was shocked by some people even stating post-launch DLC is "mandatory" for video game these days and having broken system like REQ is fine as long as they get free stuff.
I acknowledge its affecting the game, but for me the pros far outweigh the cons. I bet h2-h4 I played about .5% of my matches on DLC maps because none of my friends would buy them. For that reason alone I can tolerate the way reqs have changed halo 5.

You might get a kick out of this article: Halo 6 Campaign To Be Released In Req Packs
I don't mind micro-transactions AS LONG as they don't alter the game-play or focus of a game.

You can probably tell how I feel about them in Halo 5
It's such tragedy that most people here ignore how REQ is affecting the game fundamentally. When they are out of argument, they justify its existence by "it provides free DLC!" Not to long ago, I was shocked by some people even stating post-launch DLC is "mandatory" for video game these days and having broken system like REQ is fine as long as they get free stuff.
I acknowledge its affecting the game, but for me the pros far outweigh the cons. I bet h2-h4 I played about .5% of my matches on DLC maps because none of my friends would buy them. For that reason alone I can tolerate the way reqs have changed halo 5.

You might get a kick out of this article: Halo 6 Campaign To Be Released In Req Packs
I am not sure if that article is a joke or not. If it's true, I am done and will not be purchasing Halo 6, no longer supporting those idiots who brought that idea.
It is most definitely satire. Take it easy lol
So I thought after reading "REQ service unavailable."

May I ask you how many pros there are other than "free support"?
I think it adds to the longevity of the game. I remember in reach I figured out how much my favorite armors cost and within a week has the only armor set I would ever wear. Rng takes away this ability and creates an opportunity that encourages me to wear different armors and things.

I believe a lot of the weapon experiences and weapons themselves wouldn't exist in H5 if it weren't for the req system. Pointing directly at CE magnum, h2br, hunter turrets, etc. if they weren't trying to sell req packs things like this may not exist.
Your longevity increase doesn't apply to me. You said RNG takes away short longevity (goal based) of Reach. Unfortunately for me, that RNG discourage me setting the goal in the game to increase my game longevity. I am not a person who cares heavily on the customization, but I find myself achievements/challenges and their rewards keep me interest in the game. The current REQ system does not help me keep in interest in Halo 5. Due to extremely unorganized and how messy is U.I. for customization, it also discourage me trying different armors. One day, I actually counted how many different armor sets are in Halo 5, the number was practically around 80. Hundreds of armors are the same, but different skin, and how they are placed in U.I. is disgusting. Although, I understand what you are saying. But, wouldn't it better to have achievement rewards over RNG?

I actually dislike brining raw classic weapons back to the current game without any design change. It doesn't match with the theme they have with this game, thus immersion breaking. It may give you nostalgia to you, but not for me. If you are also talking about supposed "variants" of weapons, my response to that is also dislike. Those variants are just more powerful version of standard one, it doesn't add anything to the game, but adds quantity in content.
Honestly don't notice it, which is a compliment as it show that you are not forced to buy it. If majority of the people playing do not feel the need to buy it, it shows that it's Microtransactions done right. However as many said it does have a slight push on 343 to make content to push people to buy the packs. Overall they offered free DLC"s, even if you say it's content that should have been there it's still nonetheless free dlc's and added content. It stops community divide and that is unimaginably huge. I think Microsoft's push with micro trans push with gears and halo is a good thing, where as activisons push with cod and destiny being a bad thing due too exclusive content and unfair gameplay advantage.
I think they should dissapear off the face of the earth, it's the unskillful way for non-dedicated players to get weapons that lvl 135+ players only dream of getting certified (nornfang etc.)
I think their biggest effect would be shifting 343's incentives from "make a good Halo game" to "make people want to buy req packs". I think a good example of this is how unreasonably difficult WZFF can be, and almost impossible to win without spamming lots of heavy vehicles.

Another example is how, until recently, BTB was an afterthought for 343 because they wanted everyone to go to Warzone and be more likely to buy req packs. I think Halo 5 would have launched with BTB and possibly even BTB Heavies if 343 didn't have that incentive to make people want to buy req packs.

On the other hand, having paid DLC map packs splits the community (this was a big problem in Reach, if I remember correctly) so it can be argued that microtransactions are better...
I find the whole req system to be ridiculous. But, not for the reasons that seem so common on this forum. I never really felt it was P2W in the literal sense, but I don't even need to beat that dead horse to dislike reqs.

It's not that I like the idea of MTs, but I could at least live with them if they were done right... and IMO... H5 absolutely slaughtered the deployment of its MT system.

Removing weapons/vehicles from the maps is ridiculous. They weren't removed for the sake of game play and changing things up on that front, they were removed to support the req system. I'd be willing to bet that AI bosses weren't added to WZ because somebody thought it'd be a great idea. I think they had to come up with something to promote movement to and through certain areas of the maps since there weren't weapons/vehicles spawning anywhere to make people want to go there. Not to mention that no weapon/vehicle spawns mean a lot fewer conflict zones where both teams have something to fight over, therefor something had to be added to promote that. I'm not saying I hate the idea of bosses spawning and sure, it gives the game type a twist, but I don't see them as some cool new idea to revolutionize a game type. They were added as a compensatory measure.

I'd rather fight to acquire, or help acquire a power weapon or vehicle on the map and then use it to capture bases or even kill spawned AI than to piss around building up enough points to get my own, even if it means I get them less often. That just feels unnatural to me. Out of place.

Not to mention getting reqs (not the earning part, the retrieving part) feels like the biggest waste of time... an intrusive, interruptive aspect of having to bounce around in a bloated menu and decide, then choose a req. I mean, yeah, you could just let yourself get killed and take care of it while waiting to respawn... but that's pretty counterproductive. So the alternative is to interrupt what you're doing and scamper off to a req station, which is wasting time, just to waste more time in a menu. And just think... the better you do... the more often you get to do that.

Don't know about anyone else, but that just seems silly to me. The whole system just intrudes upon and interrupts WZ in a way that doesn't feel natural at all. I have/had no interest in arena when H5 launched. WZ got old for me and fast. I waited in hopes that BTB would be enough to keep me around... it wasn't. I haven't bothered to come back since and the MT/req system is one of the reasons why, even if it seems like a bit of an indirect one.

I really looked forward to WZ and I thought it had tons of potential, but the reqs just don't fit for me at all. It just feels like the game type was built around the req system rather than the req system being built to compliment the game type.
i agree on the req system issue mentioned in the quotes here^
Ar5eNo wrote:
We are coming up on the anniversary of Halo 5, which of course included micro-transactions in its multiplayer modes to unlock all sorts of goodies, including Warzone weapons and vehicles, etc.

I was just curious as to how the community feels about the use of Micro-Transactions and the effect, if any, they have had on the game play experience and the Halo community, after a year.

Are you a fan of them? Do you wish they would disappear off the face of the earth? Don't care either way?

I want to know how it has affected your experience with Halo.
I think it's made no difference. If they removed it entirely it wouldn't change anything, warzone would still work the way it does, you would still have enough REQs, yada yada. People are just salty people with money can skip the grind to unlock stuff.
I've experienced zero negative effects of microtransactions. I grind it out for my REQ points regularly but I do reach 107 hrs at times with my career so I've also dropped $20 bucks twice to catch up.
Warzone and RNG rewards are the effects.

In order to sell REQs there has to be incentive to buy. By creating an entire mode around an on going system that tasks the player with using the rewards to win and winning to earn rewards. It creates a cycle. That way players aren't just buying the set of armour they need and then no longer using the REQ system. You have to use REQs to earn boosts, then use REQs in Warzone to give you an advantage during the game. All so that you can earn REQs back and potentially some permanent unlocks as well.

This system makes spending real money for the rewards an advantageous thing. It also doesn't limit itself to just perma-unlocks. You will always need boosts, weapons and vehicles to play Warzone.

For example. If Warzone didn't exist, the whole REQ system would depend on Arena. People use far less REQs during an Arena game. So people would need less REQs, meaning less potential money spent on REQ packs. And once players hit max level, or unlock everything, or even just the armour they want, they will have less incentive to want REQs, and therefore purchase less REQs.

RNG is also needed. If you could pick and choose the unlocks you received you would again need less of them because you could avoid the useless stuff and spend more credits on just the items you wanted. This again would have the effect of causing real money sales to drop, because people wouldn't need to gamble to get the items and get half good and half bad items. They could outright buy only the items they wanted without an RNG element.

That's the effect microtransactions have on Halo. An entire gamemode dedicated to it and the unlock system completely changed to suit it.
JLEG3NDARY wrote:
I've experienced zero negative effects of microtransactions. I grind it out for my REQ points regularly but I do reach 107 hrs at times with my career so I've also dropped $20 bucks twice to catch up.
Catch up to who?, to what?.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I don't mind it, at least we get free dlc updates....
microtransaction in any AAA game should be banned. any AAA game with microtransaction in it shouldn't be able to receive any game of the year award. you already paid money for the game. now they just want you to keep spending money by implementing stuff to "force" you to buy the stuff.
and microtransaction do split the community. if you don't have the time to play much you will be locked out of a huge part of the customization and even weapons (in warzone).
they also influence the gameplay in a bad way. look at firefight. ridiculously hard so you have to use multiple power weapons to win, so you have to buy req packs to stock up weapons.
and implementing a "not that aggressive" microtransaction system pave the way to a pay2win system in future games in the series. people getting used to paying so they won't care anymore. a few will fight back, but the money a company misses out on them, the company gets it through mictrotransaction

so people accepting microtransactions in AAA games are digging the grave for consumer friendly games.
Ar5eNo wrote:
We are coming up on the anniversary of Halo 5, which of course included micro-transactions in its multiplayer modes to unlock all sorts of goodies, including Warzone weapons and vehicles, etc.

I was just curious as to how the community feels about the use of Micro-Transactions and the effect, if any, they have had on the game play experience and the Halo community, after a year.

Are you a fan of them? Do you wish they would disappear off the face of the earth? Don't care either way?

I want to know how it has affected your experience with Halo.
You should make a poll on Microtransactions in H6 or not.
I had considered making a poll (since I posted in the poll forum) but decided rather to leave it as a discussion of the actual effect that micro-transactions have had with the game experience rather than a "Yes/No" poll. I was just interested in the real world effect that the supposedly divisive REQ system has had on the Halo community.
Justima wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:


You might get a kick out of this article: Halo 6 Campaign To Be Released In Req Packs lol

Hilarious!
Ar5eNo wrote:
We are coming up on the anniversary of Halo 5, which of course included micro-transactions in its multiplayer modes to unlock all sorts of goodies, including Warzone weapons and vehicles, etc.

I was just curious as to how the community feels about the use of Micro-Transactions and the effect, if any, they have had on the game play experience and the Halo community, after a year.

Are you a fan of them? Do you wish they would disappear off the face of the earth? Don't care either way?

I want to know how it has affected your experience with Halo.
how do you post a thread?
Like how do you create a new thread? or share a link to an existing thread?
Love it! I earn more than $3/hr so the option to buy Reqs w cash makes more sense every time.
Anyone who hates MTs for Reqs is just admitting that a seller has succeeded in persuading them to desire the marketed goods. If someone didn't want the Reqs, they wouldn't care that people can pay rather than grind for them.
They effect games by allowing kids to get weapons and armor that they didn't actually earn. It doesn't make the game worse though because odds are the kids that will pay for a gold pack aren't going to be experienced enough to use a legendary weapon. Probably still gonna get rekt m8.
I feel that the gold and silver req packs for micro transactions ruined the game
They effect games by allowing kids to get weapons and armor that they didn't actually earn. It doesn't make the game worse though because odds are the kids that will pay for a gold pack aren't going to be experienced enough to use a legendary weapon. Probably still gonna get rekt m8.
Agreed. It's a good feeling to score a great find at the Salvation Army of careless players. "You wouldn't believe the Answer I just found. Like new!'
They effect games by allowing kids to get weapons and armor that they didn't actually earn. It doesn't make the game worse though because odds are the kids that will pay for a gold pack aren't going to be experienced enough to use a legendary weapon. Probably still gonna get rekt m8.
Agreed. It's a good feeling to score a great find at the Salvation Army of careless players. "You wouldn't believe the Answer I just found. Like new!'
Dude that's the best hahaha. Or when I find a Nornfang with only one shot expelled because that kid got slapped.
They don't really affect anything with me. Whenever someone complains, I'm just like Meh. It's just another microtransaction in another game
Yeah, considering microtransactions are becoming a normal part of video games it doesn't really bother me that much. Considering I've had everything unlocked for a while, there's certainly no need for me to buy them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5