Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The hitscan problem

OP MKFREYA

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Almost 3 years since the game was launched, and since then, the people constantly give their opinions about weapons, today some people says the magnum is too op, the plasma/brute rifle breaks the gameplay, they may have reason but no one talks about the hitscan.
Take this example, someone shots you 5 magnum bullets in the head, you take 4, but you manage to take cover, however the last shot somehow go trough the wall, and hits you.
this is an issue present is every semi automatic weapon, ironically no one notices this issue or atleast talk about it
PD: we have a pizza skin, why not a watermelon skin? :P
MKFREYA wrote:
PD: we have a pizza, why not a watermelon skin? :P
In addition to the pizza assault rifle and french fries Magnum, I'd be very happy if they added other food-themed skins to the battle rifle, SMG, and DMR for a full set of delicious weapon skins for all of our loadouts
I always understood hitscan vs projectile to be about having to lead distance shots on strafing targets. What you're describing, with shots going through objects, sounds more like a lag thing that could be an issue with either type of weapon. But I readily admit I may need more education on this.
I always understood hitscan vs projectile to be about having to lead distance shots on strafing targets. What you're describing, with shots going through objects, sounds more like a lag thing that could be an issue with either type of weapon. But I readily admit I may need more education on this.
I think two other possibilities:
  • Bullet magnetism was active for just long enough to find its way to the target just before they got to cover
  • A small portion of your Spartan's body was sticking out when you were behind cover, giving your attacker an opportunity to get in a few more shots
It blows my mind that the plasma rifle or storm rifle have not been nerfed yet. Those guns melt you so fast and you don't even have to be up that close.

Hit detection in this game is brutal and shot registration is awful.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

If you're getting shot around a corner or through a wall, it's more than likely because of server and connection weirdness, as you might see yourself as behind cover while in reality the server has yet to register that you've moved behind cover thus leaving you exposed.

Whether a weapon is hitscan or projectile is irrelevant because what matters is hit registration.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It's latency. Two people are pinging the server at a different rate, and on the opponent's end, the shot magnetized before OP got into cover. On his end, however, he was already in cover before the shot magnetized. There's examples of this in every online FPS, but it is absolutely more prevalent due to hitscan, because... while there is no bullet travel time, there is still hitbox sync... time...

By the way, the worst part about latency is that there is no real cure for it. Both players may have top tier internet but since one is pinging closer to home on the dedicated server, they can see things slightly before the other players can. It's why a lot of people playing this game will have easy matches closely followed by obscenely difficult matches.
this happens so much to me 😪😢
If there's anything that can possibly help, it's trying to see your Spartan from a third-person perspective. It's a little hard to pull off, but knowing where your character's placement in the environment can prove useful in concealing your hurtboxes and surviving a little longer. Try doing some practice while holding a turret.

Alternatively, if you're under heavy fire from behind and are scrambling to get to cover, "strongsiding" will make you more annoying. Strongsiding is the act of simply looking down at the ground which will hide your head's hurtbox, making it harder for your opponents to finish you off with a headshot.
PolyGoner wrote:
It's latency. Two people are pinging the server at a different rate, and on the opponent's end, the shot magnetized before OP got into cover. On his end, however, he was already in cover before the shot magnetized. There's examples of this in every online FPS, but it is absolutely more prevalent due to hitscan, because... while there is no bullet travel time, there is still hitbox sync... time...

By the way, the worst part about latency is that there is no real cure for it. Both players may have top tier internet but since one is pinging closer to home on the dedicated server, they can see things slightly before the other players can. It's why a lot of people playing this game will have easy matches closely followed by obscenely difficult matches.
Exactly... That's how I get killed in 2 shots, all I hear is pop pop and I'm dead. The other player is a second ahead of me in the game. (probably ms) It just seems like the bullet hit you through a wall. In game reality the other player killed you before you made it to the wall.
It blows my mind that the plasma rifle or storm rifle have not been nerfed yet. Those guns melt you so fast and you don't even have to be up that close.

Those are already confirmed to be getting nerfed. Not sure what it has to do with the OP though considering they’re projectile weapons.

I think hit detection and shot registration are the same thing bud. How is it awful though? Sure as hell better than Halo 3’s.
Sebo LVII wrote:
“because "343i" and "Microsoft" nothing else to argue.”
Are you saying that Microsoft had a hand in latency issues? Lag isn’t something the developers can fix. That’s on the player getting better WiFi. Yes 343 can try and optimize it as best they can, but at the end of the day, they can’t fix lag.“Halo 5 is so garbage.”
What a great rebuttal.“Terrible weapons and feeling overall that stuff (noise etc)”
What does this have to do with the OP?”Worst maps of Halo history.”
What does this have to do with the OP?”Monkey gameplay (running, climbling, boosting, sliding, ground pounding, stabelazing, spartan charging...) WTF I WANTED TO PLAY HALO !”
What does this have to do with the OP?”Broken autos weapons, ADS call of duty, ridiculous bullet magnetism and truck hitboxes, hitscan boring and random, this FPS game is as skilled as Minecraft.”
I guess you can make an argument for this to have somewhat addressed the OP. Useful does not equal broken. The only OP autos are the storm rifle and somewhat the plasma rifle. Something having ADS doesn’t make it CoD. Sad this still has to be explained. Your last few statements are just flat out wrong. Halo 5 has an average amount of bullet magnetism compared to Halo 2 and Halo 4. Hell, even comparing the BR from Halo 3 will show how much magnetism it has. Hitscan cannot be random. That’s literally the benefit of hitscan is the shots go where you aim them. If this game takes so little skill, why is your mad rank only a diamond? Surely if it was so easy you’d be a champ easily. Combined with the enhanced movement and low bullet magnetism, Halo 5 is actually very hard to pick up and very hard to master.“and the game is so ugly, the spartan design and weapons everything i mean the graphics style of H4 & H5 are a heatbreaker thats so sad and poor to see.
The textures and the lightning in this game, holy -Yoink- it's so bad !
even H3 from 2007 is still more vibrant and living or goodlooking to see than H5 today, i mean H3 screams Halo everywhere and in everything.
H5 is just... whatever, who cares, you know it's like the game Spartan Assault it exist and it's here but nobody care bro lul.
One more thing, why should i have to play this game with sunglasses ? cause H5 literally burns my eyes.”
Once again, what does this have to do with the OP. My guess is you just came here to rant on 343 about anything just to get a few likes. Also, pro tip: if your eyes hurt, turn down your brightness.
HaXoR73 wrote:
If there's anything that can possibly help, it's trying to see your Spartan from a third-person perspective. It's a little hard to pull off, but knowing where your character's placement in the environment can prove useful in concealing your hurtboxes and surviving a little longer. Try doing some practice while holding a turret.

Alternatively, if you're under heavy fire from behind and are scrambling to get to cover, "strongsiding" will make you more annoying. Strongsiding is the act of simply looking down at the ground which will hide your head's hurtbox, making it harder for your opponents to finish you off with a headshot.
Thx I’ll definitely try these and see if it helps but at the end of the day for me it is just due to lag and poor WIFI😂😢

Those are already confirmed to be getting nerfed. Not sure what it has to do with the OP though considering they’re projectile weapons.

I think hit detection and shot registration are the same thing bud. How is it awful though? Sure as hell better than Halo 3’s.
I have really good internet though, halo 5 is the only game I have issues with when it comes to that.
I feel like the projectiles wouldn’t be that hard to implement because Halo 3 had projectiles, and the game can finally feel balanced without weapons with projectiles being disadvantaged. If 343 needs to know how to implement something well, they have Halo 3 for reference.
This is a latency issue 100%.

Projectile weapons are even worse, better to be shot behind a wall rather than having to shoot someone in the head 7 times with a BR (as opposed to 4-5 to kill them (i.e projectile weapon variance, this is will documented-it was removed for a reason). Now I know what you are thinking, that this is good to prevent BR dominance at longer range (which is true and is a good thing) however, it also happens at medium range (which is the problem).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but making sure you know the negatives of projectile weapons. I would add that projectile weapons are even worse on a connection, but thats a given (it is why hitscan weapons are used).

Hitscan is why many people say "the gunplay in H5 is so much better than Halo 3, 343 nailed this part of Halo 5". Don't believe me? Go into Halo 3 (even the campaign) pick up a BR run around shooting enemies in the head. Then go into Halo 5 and compare. If you want a better test, use splitscreen in Halo 3 and count the BR shots to kill at medium range, then use a friend -make sure they are close in region if possible-in Halo 5 for the same thing (yeh no splitscreen). Then tell me which you found was more consistent.

90% of my posts on Halo 5 are to critique and say how many things 343 did wrong, but the gunplay is the best in the series in terms of consistency.

I'm pretty sure 343I said they were "looking into" those weapons. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting nerfed.
I'd rather not have a repeat on the BR(NG), thank you.

I'm pretty sure 343I said they were "looking into" those weapons. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting nerfed.
Doesn’t it though? If the whole community is saying those weapons are overpowered and 343 says they’re looking into it, why would they just say “oh we think it’s fine” when everyone says otherwise?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2