Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The hitscan problem

OP MKFREYA

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It blows my mind that the plasma rifle or storm rifle have not been nerfed yet. Those guns melt you so fast and you don't even have to be up that close.

Hit detection in this game is brutal and shot registration is awful.
Those are already confirmed to be getting nerfed. Not sure what it has to do with the OP though considering they’re projectile weapons.

I think hit detection and shot registration are the same thing bud. How is it awful though? Sure as hell better than Halo 3’s.
I'm pretty sure 343I said they were "looking into" those weapons. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting nerfed.
Doesn’t it though? If the whole community is saying those weapons are overpowered and 343 says they’re looking into it, why would they just say “oh we think it’s fine” when everyone says otherwise?
For everyone you mean like five or six people, most of the time the people in the first page talks about the "OP" plasma/brute rifle, and there are people saying the same on the magnum, the rest of the comments doesn't even mention these guns
It blows my mind that the plasma rifle or storm rifle have not been nerfed yet. Those guns melt you so fast and you don't even have to be up that close.

Those are already confirmed to be getting nerfed. Not sure what it has to do with the OP though considering they’re projectile weapons.

I think hit detection and shot registration are the same thing bud. How is it awful though? Sure as hell better than Halo 3’s.
I'm pretty sure 343I said they were "looking into" those weapons. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting nerfed.
Doesn’t it though? If the whole community is saying those weapons are overpowered and 343 says they’re looking into it, why would they just say “oh we think it’s fine” when everyone says otherwise?
I hear ya man, but I'm just saying is all. There are lots of examples of things that the majority of the community thinks/says and 343I haven't done anything about or they have changed things when people don't really complain either. Look at the recent weapons changes for example. Half those changes people didn't even ask for and some changes too.

People always get there hopes up for things and when it doesn't happen or what they think should happen doesn't, then they get mad and such you know. If they just say lower the ROF for example, is that a Nerf? Most people wouldn't think so because to most people, nerfing something means lowering damage right.

I don't know, like i said, who knows what 343I is thinking. I've learn with 343I, it's better to just wait for official statements and not assume anything.
Would you happen to have a video of this going down?
MKFREYA wrote:

For everyone you mean like five or six people, most of the time the people in the first page talks about the "OP" plasma/brute rifle, and there are people saying the same on the magnum, the rest of the comments doesn't even mention these guns
Um no. It’s definitely not 5 or 6 people.

I hear ya man, but I'm just saying is all. There are lots of examples of things that the majority of the community thinks/says and 343I haven't done anything about or they have changed things when people don't really complain either. Look at the recent weapons changes for example. Half those changes people didn't even ask for and some changes too.

People always get there hopes up for things and when it doesn't happen or what they think should happen doesn't, then they get mad and such you know. If they just say lower the ROF for example, is that a Nerf? Most people wouldn't think so because to most people, nerfing something means lowering damage right.

I don't know, like i said, who knows what 343I is thinking. I've learn with 343I, it's better to just wait for official statements and not assume anything.
That’s true, but I think it’s very reasonable to assume that them looking into it means it’s gomna be nerfed. Also, I don’t think the majority people believe nerfing means lowering the damage for an individual shot. I think most know it means making the weapon worse, whether it be fire rate, magnetism, etc.
As others are stating, this isn’t what hitscan is. You’re experiencing a latency/netcode problem. Hitscan is when the gun fires shots that travel instantaneous. there’s multiple reasons why this issue you’re describing could happen of course. Could be your connection speed. Could be his. Could be your connection quality to the server. Could be his. You get the picture.

Because they've done it before...They've even mocked the community about it (remember the "OP Autos" thing?). In the end, they always end up doing what we said from the start, which they deny at the start. Same thing happened with Halo 4, I remember the community proposing BR and other weapon changes, 343 saying its fine, then months later doing the exact changes....

Because they've done it before...They've even mocked the community about it (remember the "OP Autos" thing?). In the end, they always end up doing what we said from the start, which they deny at the start. Same thing happened with Halo 4, I remember the community proposing BR and other weapon changes, 343 saying its fine, then months later doing the exact changes....
Ahem.

Ahem.
So? It took them 2 years. You are actually supporting my point lmao, these are the changes that we requested at launch, only to be called "343 haters". And now that 343 is doing such changes, they are being praised.
Hitscan hasn't been as much of a problem for me as the ability for every assault rifle to have game-breaking bullet magnetism. Seriously I shouldn't get chewed up at 50ft from a suppressor with somehow pinpoint-accuracy. It's ridiculous.

Ahem.
So? It took them 2 years. You are actually supporting my point lmao, these are the changes that we requested at launch, only to be called "343 haters". And now that 343 is doing such changes, they are being praised.
At least from my memory, there wasn’t much demand for it to be changed. Yes people knew it was OP, but it was only after the initial sandbox update that the storm rifle became REALLY good. Also, no one called anyone a “343 hater” for wanting the storm rifle to be nerfed and no one is praising 343. The only reason I posted the link was to prove that it was getting nerfed because others didn’t believe that it was. I just assumed you were agreeing with them.

Ahem.
At least from my memory, there wasn’t much demand for it to be changed. Yes people knew it was OP, but it was only after the initial sandbox update that the storm rifle became REALLY good. Also, no one called anyone a “343 hater” for wanting the storm rifle to be nerfed and no one is praising 343. The only reason I posted the link was to prove that it was getting nerfed because others didn’t believe that it was. I just assumed you were agreeing with them.
No my post was saying that at launch, our balance ideas would go ignored (yes we were called haters, or blinded by nostalgia...or "get good"...or "you just want the BR to be the best"). Now these same or similar changes are being implemented a long time after, saying how much they "care for community feedback"..... I would post a link to where the 343 employee was mocking the community about these balance changes but I cant find it.

On point of balance, I am not talking about specific weapons, talking about everything in general. E.g Assault rifle, BR, Magnum, DMR etc etc. E.g, whenever someone would ask for an AR nerf e.g increased recoil or higher mag size, to increase skill require to earn a kill rather than holding down the button, they would get criticised so hard on these forums. But when 343 rolls out these nerfs for the AR, its a good thing to those same people who were against the changes in the first place.

However, I will maintain that Halo 5 some of the best weapon balance of any Halo at launch. No nightmare SMG starts like H2, no inconsistency like H3 (connection and control aim issues aside).

Ahem.
No my post was saying that at launch, our balance ideas would go ignored (yes we were called haters, or blinded by nostalgia...or "get good"...or "you just want the BR to be the best"). Now these same or similar changes are being implemented a long time after, saying how much they "care for community feedback"..... I would post a link to where the 343 employee was mocking the community about these balance changes but I cant find it.

On point of balance, I am not talking about specific weapons, talking about everything in general. E.g Assault rifle, BR, Magnum, DMR etc etc. E.g, whenever someone would ask for an AR nerf e.g increased recoil or higher mag size, to increase skill require to earn a kill rather than holding down the button, they would get criticised so hard on these forums. But when 343 rolls out these nerfs for the AR, its a good thing to those same people who were against the changes in the first place.

However, I will maintain that Halo 5 some of the best weapon balance of any Halo at launch. No nightmare SMG starts like H2, no inconsistency like H3 (connection and control aim issues aside).
I do agree, Halo 5 has the worst campaign/history in the series, but 343i nailed the weapon balance (maybe except smg, carbine and dmr) however the competitive scene along with some people that doesn't understand the existence of auxiliary weapons ( like the plasma/brute rifle) is destroying the balance, if they convince 343i make changes over the magnum and even more to the BR, I'm done with Halo 5, this was the only Halo were I played more multiplayer than campaign a that's kinda sad, it never happened before , not even with Halo 4
also is weird keep balancing weapons after almost 3 years since the game was launched, then, why not put some new maps or something but balances
Dying around corners and similar issues are not exclusive to hitscan weapons. This sort of thing can happen just as often with projectile weapons depending on the circumstances.

If I was to pick out the most likely cause of that sort of phenomenon it is most likely going to be the server tickrate(basically how often the server updates state of the ongoing game. Including things like where players and objects are located. Here's a good thread on reddit regarding netcode stuff)

This is the sort of problem that crops up when a game has a low tickrate, meaning the game does not update as often. Because it doesn't update quickly enough the server thinks you are still out in the open even though from your perspective you are already in cover. Low tickrate servers were one of the big problems with Battlefield 4 when it launched because if I recall correctly it launched with an abysmal tickrate of 10hertz(meaning the game updates 10 times per second). For perspective CSGO servers are anywhere from 64-128hz). Now it is somewhat understandable that a game like Battlefield might have a lower tickrate than say CSGO, but for games like Halo(even with Warzone) or Overwatch, they don't have that same excuse, its just Publishers and devs cutting corners and being cheap at the expense of their players experiences.

On a separate if somewhat related note, using Halo 3 as an example to say that projectile weapons are a bad idea is some 100% grade A nonsense. Games with projectiles and good overall netcode(including high tickrates) can work just fine. Using Halo 3, a game with notoriously bad netcode on peer to peer connections and a primary weapon with built in random spread, as a poster child for all games with projectiles is ridiculous. It is like you are saying because you had a bad burger at this one restaurant that all burgers everywhere are bad and you should just eat chicken instead.

Hitscan is a bandaid solution not an improvement. Hitscan is never going to add as much depth to gunplay as projectile based weapons by its very nature. I can enjoy a hitscan game just fine, but you can't argue it doesn't lower the skill ceiling.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2