Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The issue with Halo 5's "DLC" (File size rant)

OP UNSCDF Guy

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
It's not DLC.
It's updates.
These updates are killing my harddrive.
Let's think about this...some of us only have a 500gb Xbox One...
Halo MCC is around 70gb...
Ok that makes sense.
There are 5 campaigns (including ODST)
2 re-mastered campaigns.
Along with a lot of maps and remastered maps...
But Halo 5?
It's nearly 90gb.... and we're getting an update soon.
MCC and Halo 5 take up a lot of room...
But that doesn't make sense for Halo 5.
How is a single campaign, and 18 (22 including canvases) maps...90 gb.
Do 343 not compress the files?
These are updates, you have to install.
If you don't, you have to stay offline and can only play campaign.
No forge, no customs, no split screen.
90gb...
The next update is likely to take it to 95gb if not 100gb.
That's 1/5 of my (and others) hardrives...
Sort the file size, before it gets to a point where I have to uninstall this game.
I'm not buying an Xbox One S... but Halo 5's file size...is ridiculous.
I'd like to add to my "it's not DLC" point...
If it were DLC, it would suggest you can download them, but you don't have to download them.
Buy an external hardrive; they're not too expensive.

This is the One I bought for my xbox, over 80 games and I still have well over a terabyte left as well as another terabyte on my xbox.
All the items from the req system is the problem all the weapons, vehicles, and numerous other things is what bloats Halo 5.
Ya the size of h5 is absolutely ridiculous. Once someone Uninstalls the game, they're never going to reinstall it.
Agreed. I only have a 500 GB, don't have an external harddrive yet. I've already had to uninstall numerous games because there just isn't enough space sometimes. Very annoying
Then get an external hard drive if you want more space. They don't even cost that much, and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Or uninstall Halo 5, but either way, you're going to need the above regardless. File sizes for games aren't going to go anywhere but up.
Oowoon wrote:
Then get an external hard drive if you want more space. They don't even cost that much, and you'll be much happier in the long run.

Or uninstall Halo 5, but either way, you're going to need the above regardless. File sizes for games aren't going to go anywhere but up.
I'm aware of this...but nearly 90gb?
MCC isn't even that size and it has far more maps, and multiple campaigns.
It just doesn't make sense that Halo 5 is likely going to end up over 100gb.
Poor optimization is probably the reason, but realistically a 500GB console won't get you anywhere. You're already really stretching for space with some of the bigger games like BF4, MCC, GTA, Destiny, etc.
Poor optimization is probably the reason, but realistically a 500GB console won't get you anywhere. You're already really stretching for space with some of the bigger games like BF4, MCC, GTA, Destiny, etc.
Halo 5 is still bigger than all of those...some how.
Yeah. I'm gonna have to cancel my games with gold the next month :(
You don't need to download them all after you get them. You can simply stop the download or delete them. You'll still be able to redownload them for free at anytime later, as long as you make the free purchase during the time it's available
UNSCDF Guy wrote:
It's not DLC.
It's updates.
These updates are killing my harddrive.
Let's think about this...some of us only have a 500gb Xbox One...
Halo MCC is around 70gb...
Ok that makes sense.
There are 5 campaigns (including ODST)
2 re-mastered campaigns.
Along with a lot of maps and remastered maps...
But Halo 5?
It's nearly 90gb.... and we're getting an update soon.
MCC and Halo 5 take up a lot of room...
But that doesn't make sense for Halo 5.
How is a single campaign, and 18 (22 including canvases) maps...90 gb.
Do 343 not compress the files?
These are updates, you have to install.
If you don't, you have to stay offline and can only play campaign.
No forge, no customs, no split screen.
90gb...
The next update is likely to take it to 95gb if not 100gb.
That's 1/5 of my (and others) hardrives...
Sort the file size, before it gets to a point where I have to uninstall this game.
I'm not buying an Xbox One S... but Halo 5's file size...is ridiculous.
I know!! fortunately, i have a 1T Xbox One, so I have more room, but the size is just ridiculous
I have 9TB of external HD space coming from 3 different drives I got on the cheap.
It's not hard to pay to have everything installed at once.
I think some of you are missing the other point the OP made... it's not only that Halo 5 takes up close to 1/5th of most people's HDD, but it's the fact that Halo 5 is so damn massive. Most of us have games that are much bigger in terms of gameplay and content downloaded, and they aren't even close to the size of Halo 5. 343 needs to learn to compress their updates like everyone else, or they'll have more and more people uninstalling the game for other things they want.
stckrboy wrote:
You don't need to download them all after you get them. You can simply stop the download or delete them. You'll still be able to redownload them for free at anytime later, as long as you make the free purchase during the time it's available
Oh I see. Thx for the help ^-^
Seriously complaining about the plate size of free food? If it's that annoying, there's always the choice to leave the restaurant or buy a table that's more than large enough for a little more than the price of a new game.
Seriously complaining about the plate size of free food? If it's that annoying, there's always the choice to leave the restaurant or buy a table that's more than large enough for a little more than the price of a new game.
There is no reason for the files to be so large. It's ridiculous.
Did you also forget the a 500GB model only has around ~370GB of usable space, so 90GB is nearly 25% lol.

Seriously though 90GB..? I don't own H5 so didn't realize it was that big, that's crazy.
There's only so much before you're full.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4