Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The Magnum is ruining this game.?

OP TheeLightBearer

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
No it doesn't on breakout it does but not on slayer.
Hotrod192 wrote:
I agree completely. In the beta, the pistol was fantastic since it was usable, but you had to be skilled with it. It wasn't overly dominant, so map movement was never affected by it. If you guys remember, BR starts in the beta were terrible, since it allowed players to camp at the back of the map and pin down the enemy team easily. There was no movement, gameplay was stagnant. Now that the pistol has essentially become a BR in terms of kill time and range, it's as though we have BR starts again.

This game would be perfect if the pistol was brought back to Beta standards, and if the radar had a longer range. As it stands, I have no desire to play Arena at all, which sucks, since I adored the beta...
The beta was 8/10 the actual full released game is 6.5/10 the aiming mechanics they changed since the beta are terrible, acceleration is way to prevalent, bullet mag is too strong sniper head-shots are way to easy. If they just made aiming feel like the beta, reduce the grenade damage and radius, make the radar 25m, and make the playlists halo 3 styled with social and ranked playlists then this would be an amazing game. I dont like the ranking system but i can live with it, halo 3 's was better even though it had problems too but at least it ranked me appropriately.
thebryon wrote:
Hotrod192 wrote:
I agree completely. In the beta, the pistol was fantastic since it was usable, but you had to be skilled with it. It wasn't overly dominant, so map movement was never affected by it. If you guys remember, BR starts in the beta were terrible, since it allowed players to camp at the back of the map and pin down the enemy team easily. There was no movement, gameplay was stagnant. Now that the pistol has essentially become a BR in terms of kill time and range, it's as though we have BR starts again.

This game would be perfect if the pistol was brought back to Beta standards, and if the radar had a longer range. As it stands, I have no desire to play Arena at all, which sucks, since I adored the beta...
The beta was 8/10 the actual full released game is 6.5/10 the aiming mechanics they changed since the beta are terrible, acceleration is way to prevalent, bullet mag is too strong sniper head-shots are way to easy. If they just made aiming feel like the beta, reduce the grenade damage and radius, make the radar 25m, and make the playlists halo 3 styled with social and ranked playlists then this would be an amazing game. I dont like the ranking system but i can live with it, halo 3 's was better even though it had problems too but at least it ranked me appropriately.
Agreed 100%
The magnum is single handedly ruining the multiplayer for me and for almost everyone I've played Halo 5 with. On day one I noticed that the radar was gimped and it was extremely annoying; but that's nothing compared to how overpowered the magnum is. We haven't had a magnum this powerful since CE. There's literalky teams usimg only the magnum and they're outgunning DMRs and BRs. I've been outgunned by magnums when I was wielding a DMR before. It's unscceptable. Reach and ODST had the perfect magnum. It's supposed to be a good sidearm; not a primary. Please either remove it as a secondary or lower the damage. It ruins the game and makes me have to play Warzone to have fun or just play a different game altogether. No other Halo has been this unbalanced.
I translated this as:
Everyone spawns with a capable weapon so I'm no longer able to kill them easily when I have a better weapon.

Halo spawns have never been this balanced before. Halo:CE it was Plasma Pistol spawns haha. In the past, we have had to modify it to M6D or BR starts in order to bring some balance. Loadouts in other games and later Halo titles is a testament to what the majority had always complained about: the imbalance of an incapable spawn weapon.

End of story. Get better with weapon control and understand that they can actually fight back now. It will also be more rewarding as you know you beat them with skill. Check out the Halo 5 channel on twitch.tv to see what many are doing to control such weapons on the map.

Thanks for understanding!
Pistol ROCKS!
The problem is not the pistol... its the radar,.. and still it is not a big problem
I got outgunned in close range by an AR using my SMG. I nearly emptied the thing and he was still standing.

Sometimes you play on a server that isn't in your country and everyone can solo you. It happens. Stop blaming the Pistol.
PolyG3D wrote:
I got outgunned in close range by an AR using my SMG. I nearly emptied the thing and he was still standing.

Sometimes you play on a server that isn't in your country and everyone can solo you. It happens. Stop blaming the Pistol.
"strafe"
PolyG3D wrote:

"strafe"
Implying I don't.

I had the first shot and I was following up on the kill.
Oh good. Another "Magnum is overpowered, because it should be a useless sidearm you only use when out of ammo for good weapons." Nope. Stop. Just stop. Halo 5's sandbox is surprisingly well balanced. If there are any problems, it certainly isn't the viable utility weapon on spawn.
The Magnum is love...
The magnum is single handedly ruining the multiplayer for me and for almost everyone I've played Halo 5 with. On day one I noticed that the radar was gimped and it was extremely annoying; but that's nothing compared to how overpowered the magnum is. We haven't had a magnum this powerful since CE. There's literalky teams usimg only the magnum and they're outgunning DMRs and BRs. I've been outgunned by magnums when I was wielding a DMR before. It's unscceptable. Reach and ODST had the perfect magnum. It's supposed to be a good sidearm; not a primary. Please either remove it as a secondary or lower the damage. It ruins the game and makes me have to play Warzone to have fun or just play a different game altogether. No other Halo has been this unbalanced.
I find your post overly dramatic, inaccurate and false.
The DMR and the Magnum are BOTH 5 hit kills. Provided you finish with a headshot. Up close the Pistol will beat the DMR, as that gun is designed for extreme ranges, were it will OWN the pistol constantly as it's red redicule lock on is much farther away.

Every gun has a use in halo 5 and the Pistol DMR and BR all have specific niches to fill which is nice. If you wanna blame something blame how SMALL arena maps are. 99% of the time when you pick a DMR up you are actually in the prime range to use to pistol.
The only problem I see is that there's one type of Pistol... You can have multiple skins for turret-less warthogs, but only one type of pistol :/
The pistol is fine. The only situation it can beat a BR or DMR is close range, really. Still, the BR and DMR are easier to aim with. I would say it's fairly balanced.
I don't really have a problem with the Magnum, but the lack of BR start variants that were in every Halo, except Halo 4 which had stupid loadouts. Halo 2 and 3 had "Slayer BR", and Halo Reach had "Slayer Pro". Halo 4 had "Infinity Slayer Pro", but it was more of getting rid of the Armor Abilities.

BR/SMG starts and AR/Magnum starts should be about a 1:3 ratio(25% BR/SMG starts). It is not making the game "BR dependent", but actually changing the meta of the game. This changes strategy and the core dynamic of battles.
Vrruumm wrote:
I don't really have a problem with the Magnum, but the lack of BR start variants that were in every Halo, except Halo 4 which had stupid loadouts. Halo 2 and 3 had "Slayer BR", and Halo Reach had "Slayer Pro". Halo 4 had "Infinity Slayer Pro", but it was more of getting rid of the Armor Abilities.

BR/SMG starts and AR/Magnum starts should be about a 1:3 ratio(25% BR/SMG starts). It is not making the game "BR dependent", but actually changing the meta of the game. This changes strategy and the core dynamic of battles.
The problem with BR starts is that it stalls map movement. Why run around when you have an all purpose power weapon? I think with the pistol being as useful as it is, there is no reason to start with BRs. Unless you like camping.
SoyJuice wrote:
The pistol is fine. The only situation it can beat a BR or DMR is close range, really. Still, the BR and DMR are easier to aim with. I would say it's fairly balanced.
It isn't that it is "balanced", but that the maps don't really cater to the BR/DMR/LR/Carbine. The maps are focused on too many close quarter engagements to make these other weapons a "necessity" like in previous games. The BR was a power weapon in Halo 2 and 3 for a reason, but not in Halo 5. The point is that these pickup precision rifles should be much better than the starting weapons. It gave them a purpose.

At the end of the day we need some larger 4v4 maps and get away from all of the close quarter maps. Something like High Ground, Standoff, Last Resort, Terminal, Relic, etc. This will give these pickup precision rifles an actual purpose because being balanced makes them nearly pointless.
Vrruumm wrote:
SoyJuice wrote:
It isn't that it is "balanced", but that the maps don't really cater to the BR/DMR/LR/Carbine. The maps are focused on too many close quarter engagements to make these other weapons a "necessity" like in previous games. The BR was a power weapon in Halo 2 and 3 for a reason, but not in Halo 5. The point is that these pickup precision rifles should be much better than the starting weapons. It gave them a purpose.

At the end of the day we need some larger 4v4 maps and get away from all of the close quarter maps. Something like High Ground, Standoff, Last Resort, Terminal, Relic, etc. This will give these pickup precision rifles an actual purpose because being balanced makes them nearly pointless.
Although I disagree with BR starts, I do agree we need more variety with map size. Larger maps would be cool.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6