Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The moment "REACH" is considered a good game..

OP JeagerAB117

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 21
  4. 22
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. ...
  8. 25
Nooga wrote:
Reach was better than 2 and 3 for campaign and multiplayer in my opinion. Ive been playing Halo since CE
bs
Nooga wrote:
Reach was better than 2 and 3 for campaign and multiplayer in my opinion. Ive been playing Halo since CE
You've probably got the dumbest statement of a lifetime award right here buddy....lol
The only good thing reach had in my opinion was the improved fileshare. Other than that it was a steaming pile of jackal -Yoink-.
I agree. And you're right.
Reach is the best Halo
Absolutely true, Reach destroyed the lore that was carefully laid out by Eric Nylund. Perhaps it was Bungie's ultimate middle-finger to Microsoft upon leaving the franchise? I dunno. Reach's campaign was still great on it's own though, ignoring the lore, and I quite enjoyed it's multiplayer
Well, I respect your opinion because you presented it rationally, but I have to say that I disagree. Reach had nearly a perfect balance in gameplay, campaign story, and customization.
Reach was a pretty emotional game you watched your team die one by one i think thats what bungie wanted the game to be, or bungie was like screw it this is the last game we'll be able to make lets mess up the story line alot to mess with whatever company continues the halo franchise.
...When your comparing things for Halo 5 I lose all interest in your thread and you lose all credibility in my opinion. Reach was an abomination of a story line, and it was a blatant disregard of the deep lore established by many great authors. Multiplayer was alright at best, the only good thing was invasion and some of the weapons. Does anybody else feel this way while reading these forums?

edit** just so were clear, Im stating this because of the lore as my main point of reference for my opinion. ones a (not so great) prequel, the other is a continuation of a new story. comparing two games when Reach didnt even have the decency to follow canon is not right in my opinion.
Abomination ???? Did you even play it.. Easily the most emotional and one of the best stories in the halo universe ..
Im just here so I wont get fined
I actually liked reach I mean it could not beat halo 3 campaign for me but I still found it an emotional war story I cared when the characters die that's more Tha I can say for team Osiris excluding buck (bucks an amazing character) please give us an odst 2 based on new blood 343!!! And the art style was fitting for the game and customisation was brilliant more Tha I can say for halo 5 ....just to say I love halo 5 but yeah I have my problems with it . To Finnish up i like reach...
The reason I love reach was because it was my first halo game
For those that are claiming Reach's story was perfect and really emotional. Cat's death was super cheap. Super cheap.
Reach was good, smd haters.
XMike15 wrote:
I personally loved Reach, in every single aspect. The campaign was fun, the multiplayer was full and gripping, the forge and customs options were great, the firefight was fun mainly because of all the custom options, even the theatre was good just because it worked very well and gave a lot of ability to the player. Reach was one of the best in my opinion, close second to Halo 3. I very much enjoy all the games and I am really enjoying 5, but I have to disagree and say Reach was an extremely good game.
Thank you! Alot of hardcore fanboys complain that it contradicts canon from books, but the fact is, Halo games overrule books. Halo Reach was really fun to play, and it and Halo 3 are my two favorite bungie games ever. Of all time.
Absolutely true, Reach destroyed the lore that was carefully laid out by Eric Nylund. Perhaps it was Bungie's ultimate middle-finger to Microsoft upon leaving the franchise? I dunno. Reach's campaign was still great on it's own though, ignoring the lore, and I quite enjoyed it's multiplayer
That's funny, because I'm pretty sure Eric Nylund had a hand in writing Halo Reach's story, or at the very least the supplementary material such as Halsey's Journal which tied the stories of The Fall of Reach and Halo Reach together rather well. So obviously he didn't really care that his original version of the story was being overwritten, especially since he ended up rewriting the book, correcting some things, and making additions to the original story that helped further connect the two together.

Also, it has been stated by Bungie numerous times that while they take the games as the utmost important canon material, they still consider the expanded media as canon. Hell, if they didn't we wouldn't get references to TFoR, see ODSTs, have Cortana refer to Chief by his real name, or even get to see Spartan IIIs or Halsey. As for why Bungie made the changes they did (even though in actuality the changes to the source material they made was kinda minimal), they did it because they wanted to tell more of a story of an epic campaign for Reach since it was the UNSC's greatest stronghold, so that is why they increased the length of the timeline for the battle. I guess they also wanted to have the story of Noble team tie into the story of the Master Chief and Cortana, so they made the Pillar of Autumn temporarily land on Reach to receive a package from Noble team containing a fragment of Cortana that was made by Halsey to study a Forerunner artifact buried under Sword Base. Other than that, I think the story makes perfect sense with the original story of the battle of Reach.
I keep hearing this "games are more important canon" justification, fair enough, it was Bungie's intellectual property. My arguement is still this - why? The story Nylund wrote was more than good enough for a game, why ignore it? Disappointed.
...When your comparing things for Halo 5 I lose all interest in your thread and you lose all credibility in my opinion. Reach was an abomination of a story line, and it was a blatant disregard of the deep lore established by many great authors. Multiplayer was alright at best, the only good thing was invasion and some of the weapons. Does anybody else feel this way while reading these forums?

edit** just so were clear, Im stating this because of the lore as my main point of reference for my opinion. ones a (not so great) prequel, the other is a continuation of a new story. comparing two games when Reach didnt even have the decency to follow canon is not right in my opinion.
reach was too clunky imo
DonVinzone wrote:
deldour wrote:
There's no confliction with Reach and previous canon, as far as I can tell from all the books I've read.
There is plenty.
  1. Spartan III's The Spartans of Noble team (and by extension Gauntlet, Red, and Echo teams mentioned by Jun in New Alexandria) were Spartan IIIs (save for Jorge) from Alpha and Beta who were pulled due to their similarities to Spartan II candidates and given prototype MJOLNIR armor, effectively making them declassified as pseudo Spartan IIs while the rest of the Spartan IIIs of Alpha and Beta (save for any surviving Headhunters also pulled from the companies and Tom and Lucy of Beta) went on their suicide missions and were decimated.
  2. Cortana's inception The game never explicitly said that Cortana was made in Sword Base by the Forerunner artifact, only that she was used by Halsey and a team of scientists under her to decrypt and decode it. In fact this Cortana is a fragment that was reunited to the main component of Cortana installed on the Pillar of Autumn during the events of The Fall of Reach novel.
  3. Halsey's locations One could easily say that after meeting Noble team in the mission "Oni Sword Base" she left the Cortana fragment to continue the decoding process and went to the other side of the planet to begin preparations for Red Flag, then after preparations were finished, she went back to Sword Base to finish decoding the Forerunner artifact and give the fragment to Noble team to then give to Keyes on the Pillar of Autumn to reunite the pieces of Cortana and assemble the star map to Alpha Halo.
  4. Timeline The battle length was extended, yes, but I don't really see why this is a bad thing. You would expect the biggest UNSC military base to fight back the hardest against an alien invasion would you not? The only time the UNSC fought back harder would be when Earth was invaded, but that was because it was essentially the core of the UNSC and the UEG, so that makes sense as well.
  5. Covenant invasion force. The first two invasion fleets were smaller than the massive fleet that finally destroyed Reach led by Thel Vadam(ee). The first was a small fleet that scouted the planet searching for the Forerunner artifact, the second was a larger predominantly Brute fleet that probably also wanted credit for the recovery of the artifact, and wanted to destroy the Human forces on the ground but didn't get to do so because they were caught up in a battle with the UNSC fleet that was called in 48 hours after the events of "Tip of the Spear". The third fleet was the massive fleet led by Vadamee and was the one that finally destroyed all of Rech and most of the UNSC fleet that was sent in to protect it afterward save for the Pillar of Autumn, which escaped.
Re-read ghosts of onyx and tell me there is a way those are spartan III's without using conjecture.
6. Cortana being on the Pillar of Autumn with Chief a full day before they left. I don't really understand this one. I don't really recall the game showing or saying anything about this. The only time we see Cortana in the game is the fragment at Sword Base, and that was being delivered to the Pillar of Autumn during the last few hours of the battle of Reach before the Autumn's escape to Alpha Halo. It never showed Cortana being on the Autumn any time before the fragment arrived, and after the package's delivery to Keyes, the Pillar of Autumn took off and left reach soon after.
Indeed, even though Reach at first glance seems to contradict the books there is an even better and valid reason for both the games and the books co-exsisting together.

If you got the Limited Edition of the game, you'd also get a letter in which it is explained you are now holding "the most complete and accurate account anyone has been able to assemble of SPECWAR/GroupThree/Noble's actions..."Ergo: it is a reconstruction, same as how we now make movies about events that took place in real life, but with some artistic liberty.
The package itself is dated LONG after the Trilogy and even long after the new trilogy. In other words: it is an interpretation of the events that took place on Reach, based upon found footage (explaining the style of most of the cutscenes at times) and recovered information (which would be heavily damaged from what Reach went through). The original data was no doubt damaged, and whoever made the reconstruction filled in the gaps as they did.

It doesn't neccecarily contradict what ACTUALLY happened, because it is another interpretation of what happened.
We didn't really play through the events as they happened....we played through a reconstruction of those events based upon incomplete data.Besides: there are A LOT of holes surrounding the ground battles on Reach. Fall of Reach (book, that DOES take place right there at the events) only deals with the invasion from the perspective of space for about 40 pages (almost nothing on the ground). And First Strike takes place 3 weeks later when the battle was already over. What happened in between and up front ON Reach was never explained until this reconstruction.With that explanation, which was really just given in the LE contents...but somehow ignored by everybody, Reach (the game) and Reach (the actual events) can co-exsist perfectly fine.

We might even say that in the wake of the first Covenant War, with ONI having to deal with the aftermath of the Spartan programmes, they needed to have several options to deal with public backlash to the idea of how Spartans became what they are. Obviously, the thing was resolved by arresting Halsey and presenting the S2 programme as if it was a Joseph Mengele disaster, but I can imagine having a "look how heroic and sacrificial these S2's and S3's were" option was considered as well.

Yes, even with this explanation the game and books don't match but the discrepancies start to make sense. The books are us viewing things as it happens at that time (from limited perspectives), the game is ONI making sense of what happened based upon fractured data (not first hand account).
Thank you! It drives me bloody insane seeing people hate on Halo Reach for it's "Canon contradictions"
Spoiler:
Show
I keep hearing this "games are more important canon" justification, fair enough, it was Bungie's intellectual property. My arguement is still this - why? The story Nylund wrote was more than good enough for a game, why ignore it? Disappointed.
Because it wasn't really good enough for a game? Unless you want an overly linear visual novel or half the game to be a tutorial mission (because half the book is spent showing the Spartan II training and augmentation procedures), it wouldn't be a very good FPS game. The only gameplay we would get would shift around with gameplay mechanics because the first battle the Spartans fought in was a mission against insurrectionists with minimal armor. The next bit of the game would force you to play without energy shields since that is when the Spartans wore their MJOLNIR Mark IV armor. The final mission would be Blue team's mission in orbit above Reach (so not even on Reach) which would pretty much be Combat Evolved's gameplay on a new map since then they would finally have Mark V armor. We could probably get a mission of Chief's first training session with the Mark V armor and Cortana, but other than that, not much.
reach was great what yall talking about especially when compared to halo req.... i mean 5, but it stands on its own merits too
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 21
  4. 22
  5. 23
  6. 24
  7. ...
  8. 25