Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The Perfect Micro-Transaction/Req System?

OP Chipmmunk

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
This topic is designed to stray off of a YouTube discussion video by LukeTheNotable(Ft. TheActMan, Favyn and Samaritian). I highly recommend you guys to watch it if you want to continue a discussion about it, however I'll be providing a TLDW here (The vid is almost an hour long).
TLDW (TLDR at the bottom)

The whole topic of the video was a discussion on how to provide free DLC without having an intrusive Micro-Transactions system, and on top of that, to provide a way for players to have a clear way of unlocking certain items.

These 4 awesome guys designed a system that not only sound cool, but is in no way, shape, or form is P2W. The system that these 4 guys agreed upon was a Micro-Transaction/Achievement system that only applied to armor, however in a very unique way.

• Basic armor pieces can be obtained through completing challenges/achievement within the game. As an example to get the basic EVA helmet you have to get 50 kills with every vehicle in the game.
  • Variants of armor pieces can only be unlocked via the Micro-Transaction and Req system, these variants would drastically change the look of armor pieces, for example EVA----->Emile's Helmet
  • If you unlock a variant piece via the Micro-Transaction/Req system before you unlock the Basic armor piece, then you cannot use that variant until said armor piece is unlocked via the challenge/achievement method
  • The Micro-Transaction/Req system is based around a in game currency(For the sake of giving it name, I'll call the currency, Credits). The credits can be obtained by playing the game or purchasing them via the Micro-Transaction system.
  • The credits can then be used in two ways; they can be used traditionally, to buy packs and hope you get lucky, or they can be used to buy specific armor variants but at highly inflated price.
That is the gist of the system, an in my opinions sounds like it could most definitely work, if the variants were unique enough then I can definitely see people buying req packs just to get that cool/weird/unique looking helmet or chest piece

However thats not all these guys talked about, because if you may have noticed this system leaves out variants of weapons. Now this is where it gets a bit iffy for some people, but I'm just gonna lay out what they stated.

• Variants of Weapons and Vehicles will no longer be in future titles as it makes it very hard to balance out all elements into a single map
  • Weapons will not be found in req packs whatsoever
  • Weapons and Vehicles will be obtainable in Warzone through different methods(It wasnt a clear cut decision on how these would be obtained, however I'll provide you guys with the ideas these guys came up with in a bit)
Personally I find this idea amazing as the biggest problem with Warzone is that games can become very unbalanced due to the fact that people can have armaments that others cant counter due to the current system found in Halo 5.

Now as i stated before I will be providing the methods that these guys talked about on how to implement weapons and vehicles into Warzone. And again just remember that there wasn't a clear agreement regarding this portion of the discussion.

• Weapons can be obtained via a CS:GO type system. For those of you that don't know how that system would work, basically you get money for getting kills and completing tasks. For example every kill gets you 100$, every base capture gives you 1000$, bosses could have bounties on them that would give you different amounts every time. The money would then be used to purchase whatever piece of equipment the player wishes. There are many ways this could be implemented but these are just some of the ideas that they discussed.
  • Weapons can be obtained via the traditional BTB method where they spawn in at certain points of the map
  • Weapons can be obtained by capturing specific points on the map. For example an armory would only provide your team with weapons, a vehicle bay would provide vehicles, a air base would provide air vehicles, etc
  • A mix of a few or all of these systems
Again there isn't really a clear solution to this problem, however I find many of these systems could work tremendously better than the one found in Halo 5. Just remember these are skeletons and they aren't polished yet in any means.

Now I'll be adding some miscellaneous topics that these guys discussed.

• Warzone can have different variants of itself all in one playlist. For example you could have Warzone:Invasion which plays a lot like invasion from reach but with the new mechanics, or you could have traditional Warzone, or you could have Warzone-Dominion where it's main focus would be on capturing bases, or Warzone-Regicide where each team has a "king" that needs to be protected, the possibilities are endless. And to make it even more juicy oyu could have all of these variants under one game-type, this would greatly increase replay value in my opnion. Heck they could even make gametype specific maps for each Warzone variant, identical to Overwatch where each map has only one mode tied to it.
  • Let the forgers have access to Warzone gametypes and maps. This would MASSIVELY help the community out as these guys can create anything with this amazing tool, let them divulge themselves and let them loose
  • Emblems can also follow the Achievement system talked about in the very beginning, for example say 1000 people have downloaded your forge map, you would then get an anvil as an emblem that you can choose to equip, therefore every time you go into a match others will recognize you as a forger. (This system is not reserved to forgers specifically, just using them as an example)
These are just some miscellaneous stuff worth talking about that I couldn't mention in the other categories. Personally I see all positives and no negatives with these three ideas.

So, what do you guys think? Do you agree with some of these ideas, all of them, or any at all? I really want to start a discussion about this and hear others opinions on the issue and hopefully we can get someone from 343 to see this. Personally I find that these ideas can work for everybody, it promotes community interaction in several ways and is overall well thought out. If I heard this would be implemented into the next game you can bet your -Yoink- I'd buy it in a second!

Let me, or more specifically us (the community) know what you guys think, and please if you plan on commenting keep it friendly, I would hate for all this writing to turn into a toxic post.

TLDR: Watch the 50 minute long video or read the TLDW, dont be lazy it only takes like 3 minutes to read
How about no micro transactions at all,is that to much to ask?
Exoworld wrote:
Well I dunno about you, but I don't wanna spend 30-50 bucks just to find out 10 other people are playing on the playlist that those new maps are only on.
Exoworld wrote:
That's what I would hope for also but it seems like thats highly unlikely, if we have to do this then at least let it be as pro-consumer as possible.
The thing is Luke keeps saying REQ pays for free updates. Halo 5 had to had updates, because the game was unfinished. If Halo 6 launch with completed game, there will be no DLC/updates needed. No REQ = No update right? I am good with that. Anyway, 343 seems they are going to be implementing REQs in future Hal game, which is sad, but we don't know how is it going to be changed. They suggested changes that would make REQ system better or monetizing the system. The question is does 343 really need to monetize their game, when the customers have to pay at least $60 to play it. Where did all the money go from purchase of game? If they are going keep going this way, Halo should be free to play and only charge for campaign as DLC. My opinion on the REQ is to remove forever.
Justima wrote:
The thing is Luke keeps saying REQ pays for free updates. Halo 5 had to had updates, because the game was unfinished. If Halo 6 launch with completed game, there will be no DLC/updates needed. No REQ = No update right? I am good with that. Anyway, 343 seems they are going to be implementing REQs in future Hal game, which is sad, but we don't know how is it going to be changed. They suggested changes that would make REQ system better or monetizing the system. The question is does 343 really need to monetize their game, when the customers have to pay at least $60 to play it. Where did all the money go from purchase of game? If they are going keep going this way, Halo should be free to play and only charge for campaign as DLC. My opinion on the REQ is to remove forever.
Ok, lets say Halo 6 has all content at launch, would you not want the game to be supported for months after the games release? I certainly would, and with this system I feel it could be very successful in providing everybody what they want, actual "free" (I only put it in quotations because it's technically not free) dlc.
I completely agree about the armor section. It's well detailed and it has best of both worlds. Now come the weapons part. I'm not sure a CS:GO system would work as it put lesser skilled players at a disadvantage.

A solution to this would be to keep the REQ system as is for the weapon only. There would be customization REQs (the new system you talked about) and the regular REQs for weapon and vehicle. You would be able to buy currency with the micro-transaction system instead of buying packs. So that give you the choice on what you want to spend it.
Chipmmunk wrote:
Justima wrote:
Ok, lets say Halo 6 has all content at launch, would you not want the game to be supported for months after the games release? I certainly would, and with this system I feel it could be very successful in providing everybody what they want, actual "free" (I only put it in quotations because it's technically not free) dlc.
If the game is buggy and mess, 343 might have to support (fix) the game. Look at MCC, people leaved the game because it was buggy and messy, not because lack of additional support. And it is still a mess and 343 abandoned it. Then there will be people arguing 343 could not support the game additionally, because there is no profit out of it aside from purchase of game. 343 is not an independent developer, they have a huge company backing, they do not need our help on finance to support the game. They just want extra money. Anyway, all the content at launch with achievement system would make game about 2 years of longevity or more. What do we need after of that?
JLC4LIFE wrote:
I completely agree about the armor section. It's well detailed and it has best of both worlds. Now come the weapons part. I'm not sure a CS:GO system would work as it put lesser skilled players at a disadvantage.

A solution to this would be to keep the REQ system as is for the weapon only. There would be customization REQs (the new system you talked about) and the regular REQs for weapon and vehicle. You would be able to buy currency with the micro-transaction system instead of buying packs. So that give you the choice on what you want to spend it.
Awesome I found the armor section to be the best part also.

As for the weapons, I don't really feel the system would hurt less skilled players as they could just go for the A.I and get money from them, or maybe to make it easier to obtain money, players can get money by getting medals. That way if you want to be a driver you can get a ton of wheelman medals, and obtain money that way, or if youre not good at the game and you get a ton of assists medals you can get money that way.

As for the system you proposed could you elaborate a bit?
Justima wrote:
1.The req pays for the free updates. I've paid $0 for the dlc that has come out.
2.This is stretch argument. No game is released "finished". The main game is released with content that either couldn't make it to launch (ie forge and big team battle) or was scrapped because they didn't have time to put it into the game. The req system imho is far better then what most games do now with season passes. Most games are super expensive and most never make back the money they invested so they try and make it back through dlc. 343 went the route of micros that had little impact on the overall game but you were given free content. if you don't want to buy req packs then don't, you don't have to. Saying "well they should just release the whole game at launch with no dlc" is unrealistic as companies nowadays can barely afford making games (most need one million copies sold to break even) so they release dlc to make a profit. The dlc also extends the lifespan of the game. Halo 5 even at launch would have fizzled out by now without dlc coming out each month.
3.It was implemented because buying map packs divided the community up. It is still a better then buying season passes for games with dlc or having to buy a map pack if you want to play. I have spent nothing on req packs and compete in warzone easily. It's not like other games that force you to buy expansions and has microtransactions on top of it. They atleast give it to you for free.
4.It goes to the Halo championship series and into development of the next game like dlc's do. dlc and microtransactions aren't going away. The very least is make them unable to effect the overall game.
Justima wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Justima wrote:
If the game is buggy and mess, 343 might have to support (fix) the game. Look at MCC, people leaved the game because it was buggy and messy, not because lack of additional support. And it is still a mess and 343 abandoned it. Then there will be people arguing 343 could not support the game additionally, because there is no profit out of it aside from purchase of game. 343 is not an independent developer, they have a huge company backing, they do not need our help on finance to support the game. They just want extra money. Anyway, all the content at launch with achievement system would make game about 2 years of longevity or more. What do we need after of that?
Ok I understand, but let's just say Halo 6 comes out with no problems whatsoever, none. All content is released on time and the game has zero network problems. Wouldn't you want the game to still be supported, or would you rather them just leave the game and start working on a new project immediately? I feel like a majority of players would want future support for at least a year, look at Halo Reach they supported that game very well into Halo 4's life span. Halo Reach already had an abundance of content yet they continued to support it. You know what they say, the more the merrier. And again it's not like this micro-transactions system is highly intrusive, I personally wouldn't mind at least.
Sounds good!
Chipmmunk wrote:
JLC4LIFE wrote:

As for the weapons, I don't really feel the system would hurt less skilled players as they could just go for the A.I and get money from them, or maybe to make it easier to obtain money, players can get money by getting medals. That way if you want to be a driver you can get a ton of wheelman medals, and obtain money that way, or if youre not good at the game and you get a ton of assists medals you can get money that way.

I do play the objective in Warzone and don't only focus on getting 100+ kills. But isn't there something less fun than killing A.I./Bullet Sponge? It would sucks for those "less skilled" players to have to focus on A.I. in order to compete against the enemy on a PvP faceoff.

As for my system I will elaborate for you. Let's put it that way and let's say that Halo 5 is the new Halo 6. Arena will remain the same, no need to touch to it, and then there will be warzone and WZFF. On the store, there will be different REQ packs. There will be Customization Packs and Warzone Packs. As you mentioned, Customization Packs is totally random, and a specific armor piece can be bought with credit directly from your customization menu at an inflated price. Warzone Packs would also be totally random with higher chance at unlocking lower tier weapon/vehicle. Pretty much the same as it is now. To add some challenge, we could maybe unlock the ONI/Ultra variant by getting X amount of kills using the vehicle, etc... All standard, and other variant like Urban/Tundra/Storm (covenant) would be unlock with those Warzone Packs.

Edit1: English isn't my first language.
No thanks. I don't want to

1.) Have to jump through ridiculous hoops to get the armor I want.

2.) Deal with other teammates in a match doing ridiculous things that may make it more difficult to win. My team would effectively be down a man if some moron decides that they want to work their way towards the helmet locked behind the "Splatter 40 Enemy Spartans with a Mongoose" challenge the entire match.

What I like about Halo 5's REQ system is that the only thing you need to do to unlock (nearly) everything is simply play the game or spend some extra cash. That, way, you can focus on winning instead of ridiculous objectives.
JLC4LIFE wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
JLC4LIFE wrote:

I do play the objective in Warzone and don't only focus on getting 100+ kills. But isn't there something less fun than killing A.I./Bullet Sponge? It would sucks for those "less skilled" players to have to focus on A.I. in order to compete against the enemy on a PvP.

As for my system I will elaborate for you. Let's put it that way and let's say that Halo 5 is the new Halo 6. Arena will remain the same, no need to touch to it, and then there will be warzone and WZFF. On the store, there will be different REQ packs. There will be Customization Packs and Warzone Packs. As you mentioned, Customization Packs is totally random, and a specific armor piece can be bought with credit directly from your customization menu at an inflated price. Warzone Packs would also be totally random with higher chance at unlocking lower tier weapon/vehicle. Pretty much the same as it is now. To add some challenge, we could maybe unlock the ONI/Ultra variant by getting X amount of kills using the vehicle, etc... All standard, and other variant like Urban/Tundra/Storm (covenant) would be unlock with those Warzone Packs.
Players would still get money from playing the objective(Capturing bases, killing bosses, etc)

Also a correction, a "specific armor *variant* can be bought from the customization menu at an inflated price". Variants can be bought, armor pieces cannot. (Just trying to get everybody on the same page, sorry if that came off as rude)

As for your system, I feel like it has a chance of succeeding, because again, there are many ways we can go about this. Personally I would prefer the groups (Youtubers) system as reqs would not be limited game to game in a sense. For example if I get 5 lightrifles from the system you mentioned and I use them all up in 3 games, then I no longer have the option to play how I feel would be best. However with the system the guys proposed you could use any weapon in any game, you don't have to worry about running out of lightrifles because you can buy as many as you want each game.

However I would prefer your system to the one found in Halo 5.
2.) Deal with other teammates in a match doing ridiculous things that may make it more difficult to win. My team would effectively be down a man if some moron decides that they want to work their way towards the helmet locked behind the "Splatter 40 Enemy Spartans with a Mongoose" challenge the entire match.
What I like about Halo 5's REQ system is that the only thing you need to do to unlock (nearly) everything is simply play the game or spend some extra cash. That, way, you can focus on winning instead of ridiculous objectives.
Well it's not like all challenges have to be wacky or random, they could have challenges that support gameplay, for example capture 100 bases in Warzone. Also they could limit how absurd the challenges are if they feel it would be to detrimental to the gameplay. Any ways isnt warzone about having fun and being social? Could you imagine how hilarious it would be to see a bunch of people attempting to do the same wacky challenge? Warzone is there to be social not to be competitive.

Edit:
Also I'd much rather have a controllable method to unlock armor rather than it just being random which is a lot more tedious in my opinion.

Also if you really dont like the fact that you have to complete challenges to unlock armor then they could even make it to where there is some armor that can ONLY be unlocked via the credits system. There's a way to please everyone here.
Chipmmunk wrote:
Justima wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Justima wrote:
Ok I understand, but let's just say Halo 6 comes out with no problems whatsoever, none. All content is released on time and the game has zero network problems. Wouldn't you want the game to still be supported, or would you rather them just leave the game and start working on a new project immediately? I feel like a majority of players would want future support for at least a year, look at Halo Reach they supported that game very well into Halo 4's life span. Halo Reach already had an abundance of content yet they continued to support it. You know what they say, the more the merrier. And again it's not like this micro-transactions system is highly intrusive, I personally wouldn't mind at least.
Yes, I will be grateful if they continue supporting and adding "additional contents" as free. The credit system is the answer in my opinion, you either buy specific armor by REQ points (game money) or real life currency. RNG is garbage that never should return.
i like this idea better than the system at the moment, but i also believe that microtransaction (no matter what kind) should not be in a full price game.
to the argument that payed map packs devide the community: i think it's true, but i also think that microtransactions devide a community, because some people will always have stuff that others don't have, which could (doesn't have to) create some kind of bad blood.

for not deviding the community i would suggest a system, where you get map packs (or any add ons) and can decide on your own how much you want to pay for it. you can do it right at the moment you get the map pack or later on, you decide. that system would also force the developer to actually deliver a good ammount of content. but i'm also that realistic, that i don't think that any developer would do DLC that way, because it's riski and i also don't think they could make even close to that much money like with other systems.

and for the "gambling" part: maybe just put skins (not armor variants) in (for want of a better word) req packs and let them be opened with some kind of in game currency, which can't be purchased with real money
WSerg wrote:
i like this idea better than the system at the moment, but i also believe that microtransaction (no matter what kind) should not be in a full price game.
to the argument that payed map packs devide the community: i think it's true, but i also think that microtransactions devide a community, because some people will always have stuff that others don't have, which could (doesn't have to) create some kind of bad blood.

for not deviding the community i would suggest a system, where you get map packs (or any add ons) and can decide on your own how much you want to pay for it. you can do it right at the moment you get the map pack or later on, you decide. that system would also force the developer to actually deliver a good ammount of content. but i'm also that realistic, that i don't think that any developer would do DLC that way, because it's riski and i also don't think they could make even close to that much money like with other systems.

and for the "gambling" part: maybe just put skins (not armor variants) in (for want of a better word) req packs and let them be opened with some kind of in game currency, which can't be purchased with real money
Yeah, I to believe that Micro-Transactions dont belong in 60$ games, however if for whatever reason they need to be in the game then at least have them be non detrimental to gameplay. I don't think this system would really divide the community as you sated because with this system, if players really wanted an armor variant then they could just buy it individually(at an inflated price) with credits, like in Halo Reach. However unlike in Halo Reach, with this system players can just pay real money to get the credits in order to buy there armor variant that they desperately want. Its a win win for both sides.
Chipmmunk wrote:

Well it;s not like all challenges have to be wacky or random, they could have challenges that support gameplay, for example capture 100 bases in Warzone. Also they could limit how absurd the challenges are if they feel it would be to detrimental to the gameplay. Any ways isnt warzone about having fun and being social? Could you imagine how hilarious it would be to see a bunch of people attempting to do the same wacky challenge? Warzone is there to be social not to be competitive.
If they want to have a large variety of base armor pieces similar to the variety of base armies in Halo 5, then I suspect that quite a few of those challenges will be wacky/random or a complete and utter chore to get. As well, I can already imagine people team killing so they can capture the flag to get whatever armor piece is locked behind the "Capture 50 flags" challenge.

Also, WarZone may be more lax than Arena but that doesn't mean I want to see it become a super wacky playground where people mess around in an attempt to boost/farm for armor.

Right now, I feel that Halo 5's system has the best balance in regards to the question "Do you have time or do you have money?" and shouldn't be messed with a whole lot.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6