Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The Perfect Micro-Transaction/Req System?

OP Chipmmunk

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6
I like idea more of being able to unlock certain armors through completing tasks rather than randomly rewarded
Exoworld wrote:
How about no micro transactions at all,is that to much to ask?
Microtrasactions do pay for free DLC. That is a good thing. The problem with the REQ system, IMO, is that it took a lot away from the game. Armor used to be an in game achievement system of sorts. People could tell what you've gone through by what you were wearing. When everything cosmetic is based on RNG it completely removes that aspect of the game.

There are some benefits to a microtransaction system. Like I said earlier, they help pay for Free DLC. REQ packs are also fun to open sometimes. If 343i can find a middle point, where they can re-add an achievement based system, while keeping aspcets of the REQ system in place to campitalize on the benefits that it offers it would be ideal.

The framework that these four came up with is a perfect solution in my mind.
And if that's the case I'm also in agreement with that. Micro Transactions aren't the problem. If they pay for the free DLC than by all means, keep them. Making new products for free, as glamorous an idea as it is, just won't keep the studio afloat and won't leave them enough at the end of the day to do to much else in the way of working on other games, or what have you. Even the REQ systems themselves aren't bad inherently, they just need some work, like being able to sell them en masse or having a REQ store to trade certain REQs and buy others.
But trading out an in game achievement system for a random spawn generator for cosmetic based rewards is not a good idea. It depletes the value and meaning of what those cosmetics signify. Example: My brother just finished working his tail off all summer to get the Legend Achievement in the MCC. After finally having unlocked the achievement he updated his nameplate to the Gold Legend, changed his armor to Helioskrill in Halo 5 (though he barely even goes on multiplayer) and either every time we play a multiplayer game, or even if I play the campaign, makes a big deal of knowing that the Gold Legend nameplate we see, he got for beating all games on Legendary. It's something he's PROUD of to an outrageous degree and that even if he doesn't necessarily use it in an online arena (yet), he still takes joy in having. Now in a theoretical imagine the Helioskrill armor, could be unlocked through the MCC Legend Achievement but also could be randomly given to someone through the REQ system. Imagine my brother meets someone who had the Helioskrill armor and they talk about how they got their armor and this other guy tells him he got it through a random turn of the REQ wheel. All meaning for that Achievement, for the hard work it took to get it, all of it now means nothing because anyone can get it if their lucky.

So, as I've said before, the REQ system itself is not an inherently bad system but needs some work. A REQ store should be added for the sell and purchase of temporary unlocks with the use of REQ points. The Need for Micro Transactions is fine as 343 needs a steady source of income to continue a steady source of free content, fine, understandable.
But the abolition of a random spawn generator over an achievement based system is imperative for permanent unlocks.
I think that a good middle-point this far in the game would be, the same thing, a REQ store to which you can earn points and use them to buy the permanent unlocks and cosmetic changes as you still would be working towards a goal and thereby it still would be an achievement. But I think come Halo 6, if the REQ systems stays than split it down the middle, where REQs are used for temporary unlocks and an achievement based system for permanent ones.
Favyn wrote:
Just checked out the thread!

It's cool to see all these responses.

I've seen a lot if support and good feedback concerns.

I'm currently working on a video that delves a little deeper in to the things we talked about.
And I'm glad Favyn checked this out too because his videos have great commentary on what achievement based systems are capable of. The fostering of the gaming community through going up to people and asking what steps one must go to to get certain cosmetic changes and how such events came about, being able to take pride in your accomplishments (like my brother),and even just being rewarded for doing things in game like getting so many unique sniper kills or another one, collecting Audio Logs and Data Pads other than just as an actual Xbox Achievement.
These are the kinds of things that bring out the best in a game and keep it going well past it's release day. This is what makes it fun to replay over and over again, not tedious because you're waiting for something that may never come. You know what you want, you have a goal that you've set and you put in the hard work to bring it to fruition. In my opinion that's one of the great joys of playing video games right next to story, campaign experience, how the game plays (AI mechanics, event spaces and weapon usage), and multiplayer. And granted while I don't think any REQ system would be perfect per se I think we still could come a long way to making it better for everyone around the board, like, ironically, the DLC being available to everyone instead of a select few who could purchase it. It's a good step in the right direction.
But yeah. That's my four cents (already added my two earlier). Super excited to see much interest in this topic however. Keep it up guys and gals!
Exoworld wrote:

Favyn wrote:
I don't know if you've seen the Steaktacular episode where Luke TheNoticable, Favyn, The Act Man, and Samaritan talked about a new system. If you haven't I recommend that you do. It's a good episode.

Anyways. The system that Luke suggested in that episode is, IMO, the perfect system. It keeps that achievement system from past games in place, while allowing REQ packs to remain and keep their pluses, while removing most of their negatives.
Exoworld wrote:
Favyn wrote:
I don't know if you've seen the Steaktacular episode where Luke TheNoticable, Favyn, The Act Man, and Samaritan talked about a new system. If you haven't I recommend that you do. It's a good episode.

Anyways. The system that Luke suggested in that episode is, IMO, the perfect system. It keeps that achievement system from past games in place, while allowing REQ packs to remain and keep their pluses, while removing most of their negatives.
It is not perfect. The thing is you still have to spend money to get these cool skins and additional items, when there just could be another simple customization type that skins apply to all armors. Although their system is far better than the current one,but that is not a perfect system. I don't know why people are obsessed with "free DLC".
Justima wrote:
Exoworld wrote:
Favyn wrote:

It is not perfect. The thing is you still have to spend money to get these cool skins and additional items, when there just could be another simple customization type that skins apply to all armors. Although their system is far better than the current one,but that is not a perfect system. I don't know why people are obsessed with "free DLC".
You don't have to pay money. You could play the game and earn every skin without spending a dime. Free DLC is nice because it doesn't fragment the population. Also, it's free.
Justima wrote:
Exoworld wrote:
Favyn wrote:

You don't have to pay money. You could play the game and earn every skin without spending a dime. Free DLC is nice because it doesn't fragment the population. Also, it's free.
Yes, according to their system, you earn armor pieces, but you get armor variant when you spent money.

What about asking developers to launch game with full content? Free DLC is not always good, it showed to us with Halo 5. What were the updates about? It was not adding, it was finishing. Free DLC thing is just an excuse for developers releasing bland game to make money earlier and saying "we need micro-transaction in the game to support the game additionally". REQ system destroyed the progression of the game by making it RNG. It should be absent in future Halo games. This is not free to play game, there is already price that people pay for. At least people pay $60, and there it comes the Limited Edition and Collector's Edition, which cost more than $100. Free doesn't justify everything.
Justima wrote:
Justima wrote:
Exoworld wrote:
Favyn wrote:

Yes, according to their system, you earn armor pieces, but you get armor variant when you spent money.

What about asking developers to launch game with full content? Free DLC is not always good, it showed to us with Halo 5. What were the updates about? It was not adding, it was finishing. Free DLC thing is just an excuse for developers releasing bland game to make money earlier and saying "we need micro-transaction in the game to support the game additionally". REQ system destroyed the progression of the game by making it RNG. It should be absent in future Halo games. This is not free to play game, there is already price that people pay for. At least people pay $60, and there it comes the Limited Edition and Collector's Edition, which cost more than $100. Free doesn't justify everything.
I think you misunderstand how the system they propose works. Base armor would be achieved through various achievements throughout the game. Skins for both armor and weapons would be received in a REQ system/Halo: Reach credit system hybrid way where you could pay for things if you want to, but if you play the game you earn points to spend on things.

Free DLC isn't bad. Halo 5's implementation of free DLC is bad. There is an important difference. A lot of games have handled free DLC in a good way. They release full games and add onto them instead of finishing a game post release. I obviously don't want a situation where 343i used free updates as an excuse to finish a game. But consistent and free support to a game is never a bad thing. It keeps the community from segmenting based on whether or not they bought the DLC or not, and doesn't force you to do anything or force you to pay for something you don't want to do. It's a best of both worlds situation. If you want to pay for things then go for it. If you don't want to then no big deal. Either way you are going to get all of the content that everyone else gets.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. ...
  6. 6