OP Gandalfur

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 748
MODERATOR EDIT:

As this thread has reached 10,000 posts, there is no better time to make it clear that this is the official sprint thread where all sprint related discussion shall be directed, and give the title an accompanying face lift.

Original OP:
Quote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
Id rather keep sprint.
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
not true, the only time you NEED, to sprint, is if you are trying to break a wall in warzone. i have stopped sprinting completely and do just fine.

sprint should stay, spartan charge is what needs to leave.

not having sprint is not what made halo, halo. the BR, needler, floaty jumps, and spartans, made halo, halo. sprint alone does not make or break halo, the people who can't get over it, are what breaks halo.
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
it improves by being able to get to a spot slightly faster? is that not the obvious answer?
People are always reluctant when it comes to change. People either like sprint or don't. It's here and you either accept it and learn to adapt or you don't. Figure it out.

It has its place in the game, it can be rather gratifying when you do a sprint/boost/slide/jump and blast your opponent with the shotty.

Also, in CTF, if you time your sprint/flag grab/boost/throw you can really move the flag in a hurry.

There are plenty more examples of utilizing the feature. Like I said it has it's place in the game. The real key is balance and understanding the differences when to use it and when not to use it.
I think sprint is important part of the game now and should stay. I dont know why it really matters in campaign. It allows you to escape easier for one so i dont know why you would want it removed. Kinda why its essential in the game now. Being able to get around faster and having the choice of sprinting around and running around factor a ton into if you run into a fight. For example most time if im running around a corner and a guy is right in my face and he was not sprinting i will likely die since you cant fire from hip while running. So it matters in a game-play what you choose to do. Think it should stay.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
A: Since the anti-sprint camp is only a section of the community it would not be the game everyone wants.
B: There has never been a clear answer as to why people think two geared movement isn't 'competitive'. Nor do I consider competitiveness to be the be all and end all of Halo. It has a role, but that isn't all halo is as h5 has shown to some degree.
C: You call any position other than yours 'absurd' though you fail to demonstrate how.
D: Loudly proclaiming that sprint has no place in 'competitive' halo is a claim, not an argument. You need to back up your claim if it is to be taken seriously.
E: Halo 5 has map design problems, but they don't really center around sprint. They center around size, spawning, blind corners, and lack of variety.
F: As a Halo veteran with no distaste for sprint, this argument form ignorance that the loss of population overtime is due to sprint that has been flooding the forum of late is getting tiresome. You still have nothing to base the claim on. It is still the equivalent of walking into your kitchen in the morning and seeing a plate of French toast and assuming a unicorn with a glittering mane made it for you.
Gandalfur wrote:
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
A: Since the anti-sprint camp is only a section of the community it would not be the game everyone wants.
B: There has never been a clear answer as to why people think two geared movement isn't 'competitive'. Nor do I consider competitiveness to be the be all and end all of Halo. It has a role, but that isn't all halo is as h5 has shown to some degree.
C: You call any position other than yours 'absurd' though you fail to demonstrate how.
D: Loudly proclaiming that sprint has no place in 'competitive' halo is a claim, not an argument. You need to back up your claim if it is to be taken seriously.
E: Halo 5 has map design problems, but they don't really center around sprint. They center around size, spawning, blind corners, and lack of variety.
F: As a Halo veteran with no distaste for sprint, this argument form ignorance that the loss of population overtime is due to sprint that has been flooding the forum of late is getting tiresome. You still have nothing to base the claim on. It is still the equivalent of walking into your kitchen in the morning and seeing a plate of French toast and assuming a unicorn with a glittering mane made it for you.
This

Sprint is far from the be all and end all of halo. It never was and never will be. As I have said many, many times before i am pretty neutral as far as sprint goes but saying it will solve all problems is shallow and demonstrably not true.

A number of people have pointed to the increase in FPS without sprint as some form of evidence but from what i can see Doom has performed badly to say the least.

Its twitch rating has dropped hugely and it consistently sits below H5 most days despite being multi-platform. I realise this isnt the best measure but look at the steam numbers Here and you can see how numbers have dropped.
I think the "balancing of guns" makes Halo 5 feel less like Halo than the sprint.
i would prefer sprint, but if one day its not there, depending how gameplay is, i prob wont care and will continue to enjoy halo. on that note, i do laugh slightly how OP suggest make sprint only be in custom games and warzone? i mean thats pretty much what all the anti sprint players have, they have unlimited access to no sprint in custom games. and we can see how happy they are about that, so why think the guys that what sprint would be happy to be put in yalls shoes? i dont see huge custom game lobbies with no abilities going on. yet the option is there. why is that?
At this point we have to start thinking about map design more. I'm not saying you can't design a map without sprint but it would be drastically different (at least in terms of dimensions) than what we have now. It's not a bad thing but we have to think, can they handle a change like that this far into development? I would like to think they can, but I'm not too sure.
Unlimited sprint should be only applied in a situation like Call of Duty, where you need a constant velocity in order to chain wall runs. Halo 5 has one dinky slide, another thruster push, and a semi-thruster push in the Spartan Charge, there is not NEED for UNLIMITED sprint; LIMITED sprint should solve the problem here.
Gandalfur wrote:
This

Sprint is far from the be all and end all of halo. It never was and never will be. As I have said many, many times before i am pretty neutral as far as sprint goes but saying it will solve all problems is shallow and demonstrably not true.

A number of people have pointed to the increase in FPS without sprint as some form of evidence but from what i can see Doom has performed badly to say the least.

Its twitch rating has dropped hugely and it consistently sits below H5 most days despite being multi-platform. I realise this isnt the best measure but look at the steam numbers Here and you can see how numbers have dropped.
yet overwatch, and counterstrike are just fine
Gandalfur wrote:
This

Single Player is where Doom excel, Multiplayer is where it doesn't.

Single Player only draw so much Twitch audience, Multiplayer always pull more.

It's logical that Doom isn't viewed as much on Twitch because the MP part was a let down. Loadouts and so fortg.
The reason why sprint was added to halo was to make it more fast paced. Newer generations of gamers (me included) who didn't grow up with halo are used to fast paced games such as battlefield, cod, and just about every other fps. It's hard for a slow paced game like the older halos and even the newer ones to attract these gamers so they added sprint. To be honest I like sprint when I don't have it I feel like a turtle with a gun. Sure you might not like it but your not everyone. 343 also has to appeal to the newer generations as well. Don't get me wrong I had fun playing halo 3(my first halo and firs Xbox game) but ounce I got to other games like battlefield and even cod I noticed how slow the gameplay actually was.
OP, it's 2016. In 2016, players expect devs to not care about what's good for the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 748