Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 9
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. ...
  9. 840
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Requistion wrote:
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
You obviously don't even have a grasp of the most basic effects sprint has.

Why are you even in a discussion thread about something you know nothing about?
Most of them don't. They make surface level arguments at best whereas anti-sprinters get into the nitty gritty.
Requistion wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Requistion wrote:
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
You obviously don't even have a grasp of the most basic effects sprint has.

Why are you even in a discussion thread about something you know nothing about?
Most of them don't. They make surface level arguments at best whereas anti-sprinters get into the nitty gritty.
That is the most infuriating part of this topic. It's not like other debates where two educated, intelligent sides clash over a disagreement. This topic is simply one side being educated and aware of an issue while the other side is utterly oblivious.
Nitty gritty and educated eh?? You mean by one repeating the same 2 points over and over? Get over it and go pretend to be enlightened above everyone somewhere else.
And yet, here you are with no points. Shame.
Hey i didint sign up for this. Your claim of EVERYONE against sprint.... count me out. Sprint FTW. Imagine a elite sprinting hahaha
Can sprint not be linked to shields?



Flame on!
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes political content
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
BIGxPapi01 wrote:
You're like the Donald Trump of Halo. "Make Halo great again!"
Yeah and let's make Halo great again part two. We do need less Sprint and more let's make Halo 6 awesome.
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
That's cool, I'm playing a game, not a simulator.
I don't mind sprint it doesn't really do anything harmful just adds to the game the only thing I hate about sprint is it can lead to that God awful Spartan charge •-•
The only thing Spartan Charge does that a regular melee doesn't is knock you back a few feet. I don't understand why people are -Yoinking!- about this it doesn't radically change the game and neither does sprint.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
That's cool, I'm playing a game, not a simulator.
What's that saying, the book is always better than the _______. (That means fill in the blank!).
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
That's cool, I'm playing a game, not a simulator.
What's that saying, the book is always better than the _______. (That means fill in the blank!).
I'm saying that taking out Sprint would be a terrible idea if we don't do stuff in the books. That means we aren't Spartans in ability to do that.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
That's cool, I'm playing a game, not a simulator.
What's that saying, the book is always better than the _______. (That means fill in the blank!).
I'm saying that taking out Sprint would be a terrible idea if we don't do stuff in the books. That means we aren't Spartans in ability to do that.
You do realize a book can have 17 Halo rings explore, explode, and rebuilt before you turn the last page. A video game on the other hand, unlike a movie, which has the same premise as a book just on a big screen, must have all of its parts implemented for balance and effectiveness. If sprinting and Spartan charges is that, then so be it. Now can we actually have them work in the right capacity? Limited sprint because Spartan Charge should not be unlimited (But It has a refresh rate, yes it does, and you can hit it again in the same line of sprinting, compared to only having a few seconds of sprint and one charge to use before needing to refill one meter to use the other meter, anyone play fighting games before, EX meters solve EVERY PROBLEM.)
Sprint adds another layer of strategy to the game. It has its benefits and trade-offs just like everything else. Stop trotting out one remade map to make the argument that it's an illusion. A game developer remade a map in a way that accommodated different gameplay mechanics and built the rest of the maps from the ground up with said mechanics in mind? Shocking!

Halo has to compete with a massive quantity of shooters on the market now. Alongside this, some younger people have never played a Halo game before. Adding in mechanics from other games while still retaining the core of Halo's multiplayer is what Halo 5 did in an effort to keep old players and attract new ones.

Everyone has the same weapons and abilities and are expected to use them to control the map and the weapons that spawn on it to complete the given objective. It's still very much a Halo game, both in its overall sci-fi setting and what it asks of you in your typical match of Slayer or CTF.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
That's cool, I'm playing a game, not a simulator.
What's that saying, the book is always better than the _______. (That means fill in the blank!).
I'm saying that taking out Sprint would be a terrible idea if we don't do stuff in the books. That means we aren't Spartans in ability to do that.
You do realize a book can have 17 Halo rings explore, explode, and rebuilt before you turn the last page. A video game on the other hand, unlike a movie, which has the same premise as a book just on a big screen, must have all of its parts implemented for balance and effectiveness. If sprinting and Spartan charges is that, then so be it. Now can we actually have them work in the right capacity? Limited sprint because Spartan Charge should not be unlimited (But It has a refresh rate, yes it does, and you can hit it again in the same line of sprinting, compared to only having a few seconds of sprint and one charge to use before needing to refill one meter to use the other meter, anyone play fighting games before, EX meters solve EVERY PROBLEM.)
So you say we should have limited sprint and sheds can charge when running. hmmmmmmmmmm
I honestly do not understand the major hate towards sprint. I mean, there are upsides to it but also downsides.

For campaign, you can get through the levels so much quicker. Honestly, tell me if you loved those really long levels that required lots of walking - and slowly at that - in Halo CE through Halo 3. Like Two Betrayals, The Library, even the second mission in CE required a ton of walking on foot. For Halo CE you were a lot faster compared to 2 and 3, so it wasn't that bad.

As for multiplayer, honestly if you don't like sprint, do not use it. In fact, sprint isn't something that you can just use consequence free in Halo 5's multiplayer. It's really more of a situational thing. You need to know when to use it, and when not to.

For example your shields won't recharge as long as you keep sprinting. There is a delay when you try to stop sprinting and start trying to fire your weapon; this gives the enemy an advantage in a 1v1. Sprint may help you move around the map quicker, but you have to consider the costs before using it.

Also if Spartan Charge is an issue, it really shouldn't be. It's all about situational awareness. You can hear people getting ready to charge at you. You can see them on the radar. You can even miss your charge and what happens? The charger dies.
keep it
I like it at certain times. It would be cool to have a playlist with no sprint.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME IT ISNT SPRINT THATS MAKING HALO NOT HALO!!!!!!! It's the new pelican design and the removal of turquoise from the color palette. I want my spartan to be white and yoinking teal, it's a simple change. Are teal and turquoise the same color? Idk, I think they are.
Requistion wrote:
I don't mind sprint it doesn't really do anything harmful just adds to the game the only thing I hate about sprint is it can lead to that God awful Spartan charge •-•
...

Why do I come here...
@Requistion, I've seen a bunch of your comments on here and they all boil down to "These people don't know what they're talking about, sprint is bad. *Facepalm*."

How about you try educating them if you are indeed one the educated ones you talk about.

Here, try this... "I liked Halo when weapons were up all the time which made fights come down to who was faster and better. But sprint is bad in the sense that it needlessly forces maps to get bigger, which forces weapon range to increase as a whole, which takes away from a lot of Halo's special CQC. Sprint is simply an illusion for that reason, only serving for what people like to call "immersion." However, I think its more immersive when these soldiers are moving in a more tactical manner as opposed to everyone sprinting for every 2 yards they need to cover, which doesn't really look immersive at all. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast."

There, hope that helps. I can understand when your tired of explaining yourself to the masses but if thats the case then copy and paste, explain again, or don't comment at all. You can copy and paste this if you want. Hope you find this comment.
Betrayyal wrote:
I honestly do not understand the major hate towards sprint. I mean, there are upsides to it but also downsides.

For campaign, you can get through the levels so much quicker. Honestly, tell me if you loved those really long levels that required lots of walking - and slowly at that - in Halo CE through Halo 3. Like Two Betrayals, The Library, even the second mission in CE required a ton of walking on foot. For Halo CE you were a lot faster compared to 2 and 3, so it wasn't that bad.

As for multiplayer, honestly if you don't like sprint, do not use it. In fact, sprint isn't something that you can just use consequence free in Halo 5's multiplayer. It's really more of a situational thing. You need to know when to use it, and when not to.

For example your shields won't recharge as long as you keep sprinting. There is a delay when you try to stop sprinting and start trying to fire your weapon; this gives the enemy an advantage in a 1v1. Sprint may help you move around the map quicker, but you have to consider the costs before using it.

Also if Spartan Charge is an issue, it really shouldn't be. It's all about situational awareness. You can hear people getting ready to charge at you. You can see them on the radar. You can even miss your charge and what happens? The charger dies.
The charge is slow after all I would though make it less tracking and maybe less range but other than that I love. Charge since it is after realistic since Foot ball players do it all the time.
For more information, MC and other Spartans have been sprintin in the books and if we can't do it in the game. That's makes us not Spartans.
YOUR GENIUS AND YOUR NOT EVEN TRYING TO BE!!! LETS MAKE HALO 5: ODST, LIKE ANOTHER HALO 3: ODST, BUT WITH A LONGER AND BETTER STORY!!!! Wait, first off, halo 3: ODST's campaign was awesome. And halo 5's campaign, hate to say it, SUCKED. So, we SHOULDNT make it now, maybe if halo 6's campaign is great, we'll make Halo 6: ODST, or maybe we could just make Halo ODST.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 9
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. ...
  9. 840