Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 151
  4. 152
  5. 153
  6. 154
  7. 155
  8. ...
  9. 825
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
Why remove it? Everyone sprints, if you don't want to, then don't. It's not the world's problem, or 343's, just yours. Adapt to survive.
That makes literally no sense.
Why are you complaining about something you've never experienced?
Why is sprint good for the game?
Sprint adds a second gear of movement that comes with benefits and trade-offs, effectively adding another layer of strategy to the game. When combined with the other mechanics in Halo 5, it makes for something that's both engaging just genuinely fun to play. People's complaints about how it negatively affects the game are ridiculous. It stretches out the maps? You mean just like how every other game bases their maps around their gameplay mechanics? I guess Titanfall shouldn't have had awesome parkour routes for their wallrun mechanic. People also complain about its effects on the weapon sandbox. The sandbox in which, finally, every weapon is useful? You're really gonna complain about that?
Why is a second movement speed necessary? If anything, the limitations of sprint also limit strategy. And at times, not sprinting could be a disadvantage, particularly when traversing since the maps are built for that speed. There's less choice to be made when sprint. That's as opposed to if there's no sprint where you're never limited in what you can do and thus allows for more possibilities in the moment to moment gameplay.

Why is risk/reward automatically a good thing when applied to mechanics? If a rocket launcher had a 50% chance of blowing up in your face when firing two consecutive shots without reloading, that's risk/reward, but it's not necessarily a good thing.

I don't know how much you've been following this topic, but we've covered the effect larger maps have on the game. Perhaps I should go over them again?

Also, just because every weapon is useful, that doesn't mean they're balanced. But that's another topic entirely.
That's more pass or fail. Risk and reward is something like if you decide to spawn a mythic weapon there's the risk that you'll get killed and lose it and there's the reward that you'll get a maximum number of kills with it and there's also the risk of the enemy picking it up and using it against. Just stating for future reference so don't take it the wrong way.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
Why remove it? Everyone sprints, if you don't want to, then don't. It's not the world's problem, or 343's, just yours. Adapt to survive.
That makes literally no sense.
Why are you complaining about something you've never experienced?
Why is sprint good for the game?
Hasn't played game, opinion discarded.
*rolls eyes* no ones over the "no service record your opinion means nothing" thing yet? My service record shows I haven't played the original hCE or h2 and very little of h3 but I have indeed played them many times over. In fact I could mention a few things that the originals didnt have in them that the mcc added. It's also possible people could've played at a friends house, played it on a different account, or even just watched playthroughs of it by other people to get the gist. Never judge people by their waypoint records, some prefer to not link their normal account and prefer to just make an alt account only for posting on here.
Why? What's the need for secrecy? Makes your argument seem flimsy. Also I couldn't give a crap of what other Halos you have played in the context of this game.
Maybe they don't want to associate their in-game handle with the nonsense that goes on in this forum? Maybe they don't want their stats to be arbitrarily brought into conversations where they don't belong? There are plenty of valid reasons, but I have questions. Why do you care? What bearing do these irreverent stats have on whether someone's argument is "flimsy?" Do you want to see everyone's diplomas as well? Perhaps you would like to see their work history? Or, you could just have a conversation about the actual topic at hand.

And having played other Halos is absolutely relevant when we're talking about a mechanics this game has and classic Halo games did not. It doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's a numbered entry in a series.
Look the game is not going to change and unless they go full nostalgia I doubt 6 will remove the mechanic. Sprint feels different but I enjoy it which is something I didn't think would happen after how Halo 4 was handled. Also people people act like it is the reason for Halo's drop off. Most people that I talk to dislike the TTK and people not dying in a heartbeat.
And now you're shifting gears and switching to the nostalgia/adapt argument. Your TTK caim only makes sense if all of your friends are CoD players. How exactly would the longer TTK (which is a problem and is made worse by mechanics like sprint) cause the drop-off in a console shooter series generally known for longer kill times? What?
Did I say friends? I'm talking MY CUSTOMERS who are yeah regular people who enjoy the casual scene of CoD more. I hear the "it takes too long to kill someone" so maybe ya know that's one of the biggest reason the game's population. I just don't by the whole sprint mechanic. What about the ADS?
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Quote:
Sprint adds a second gear of movement that comes with benefits and trade-offs, effectively adding another layer of strategy to the game.
The inability to push while being offensive also eliminates a handful of potential strategies as well.

There's so much more to game strategy than just trade-offs and item/mechanic counter-play.
A majority of H5s player base doesn't give a -Yoink- about your mlg crap. Most people play for an hour or 2 and just want to relax and have a good time. The maps are bigger now so you can't just constantly spawn kill everyone like you do in your stupid video. MCC works fine so you can take your crap there.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Quote:
Whenever they HAVEN'T PLAYED THE GAME yeah I'm going to make a judgment on that.
You can judge however much you want. But judgements don't qualify as counter-arguments to whatever point they happen to be making.

"Sprint sucks because it leads to upscaled maps."
Actual Counter-Argument: "Why are upscaled maps a bad thing? You haven't elaborated on that point whatsoever."
Useless Ad-Hominem: "Yeah well you haven't played the game. Checkmate Tryhards, Casuals 1 Competitive Players 0"
Yep me liking Sprint makes me tryhard, good one at making an Ad Hominem you accused me of. So why is the map being larger bad?
You might want to look into what an ad hominem actually is. Hint: it's not just being mean.
An adhominem, short for argumentum adhominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly.
Raven XCVl wrote:
I still feel halo 5 is strategic, just fast pace too. I like sprint any game without it (for me) is too slow and boring. You can bet if they make H6 with no sprint I won't buy it. This is because once you play campaign what's left? Matchmaking, where the majority of your time is spent
Sprint creates the illusion of speed. It doesn't make games faster. It makes them SLOWER. Doom plays and feels faster than H5, but does not have sprint. I am getting a bit tired of refuting this misconception.
only bc they boosted the base movement speed
You realize you jumped higher in the original Halos, before they added clamber. So I'm pretty sure you walked faster, but I can't be sure, but then again in Campaign they gave you vehicles most of the time.
they gave you vehicles and teleporters as well. The absence of sprint would make those options more valid. Also this is multiplayer and not the campaign that I'm talking about
Ramir3z77 wrote:
A majority of H5s player base doesn't give a -Yoink- about your mlg crap. Most people play for an hour or 2 and just want to relax and have a good time. The maps are bigger now so you can't just constantly spawn kill everyone like you do in your stupid video. MCC works fine so you can take your crap there.
That's fine but then they shouldn't be arguing about aspects of competitive game design like balance if they have no actual interest in it.

Your statement is akin to saying evolution is wrong because extremists don't personally care about it.

Also it's not my video.
Also there's very little "spawn killing" going on anyways.
Also larger maps don't really eliminate spawn killing, that's entirely dependent on sight-lines and where the spawns are relative to them. You can stretch out a sightline as much as you want, if I can still see my opponent I can still potentially kill him.

Quote:
An adhominem, short for argumentum adhominem, is an attack on an argument made by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, rather than attacking the argument directly.
Which differs from an insult, as an insult is not an argument.

I can call someone stupid and then go on to refute their point with an actual argument. Me calling them stupid wasn't a counter-argument, it was just an insult.

What that one guy said was an ad hominem because he attempted to use their lack of experience as a counter-argument to their point.
so your saying every game should have sprint but halo wow you got to move with the times
Insult: Your argument is terrible, you piece of human garbage.
Ad hominem: Your argument is terrible, because you're a piece of human garbage.
so your saying every game should have sprint but halo wow you got to move with the times
1. We've demonstrated tons of times that not all modern games have sprint.
2. "Move with the times" is an empty slogan. Fads are constantly changing and there's several popular games that couldn't be any more different anyways. Is it mandatory that every game has procedural world generation like Minecraft does? Or customizable loadouts like CoD does? Let's make a frankenstein of those two games I'm sure there will be no problems...you guys say we need to keep with the times but I bet you can't even come up with a working definition of what "the times" are.
Insult: Your argument is terrible, you piece of human garbage.
Ad hominem: Your argument is terrible, because you're a piece of human garbage.
I already said the definition man. There's no need to go back lashing.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
A majority of H5s player base doesn't give a -Yoink- about your mlg crap. Most people play for an hour or 2 and just want to relax and have a good time. The maps are bigger now so you can't just constantly spawn kill everyone like you do in your stupid video. MCC works fine so you can take your crap there.
That's fine but then they shouldn't be arguing about competitive game design if they have no actual interest in it.

Also it's not my video.
Also there's very little "spawn killing" going on anyways.
Also larger maps don't really eliminate spawn killing, that's entirely dependent on sight-lines and where the spawns are relative to them.
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Quote:
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
That's a nice opinion you got there.
Pity it has no relevance to anything I said in that post.
Insult: Your argument is terrible, you piece of human garbage.
Ad hominem: Your argument is terrible, because you're a piece of human garbage.
I already said the definition man. There's no need to go back lashing.
You copy-pasted a definition, yes. I saw. I still don't get what motivates you to keep posting in this thread, when you aren't even invested in it and have very little to say.
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Objectively false. Not even 343 has implied something so ridiculous.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
A majority of H5s player base doesn't give a -Yoink- about your mlg crap. Most people play for an hour or 2 and just want to relax and have a good time. The maps are bigger now so you can't just constantly spawn kill everyone like you do in your stupid video. MCC works fine so you can take your crap there.
That's fine but then they shouldn't be arguing about competitive game design if they have no actual interest in it.

Also it's not my video.
Also there's very little "spawn killing" going on anyways.
Also larger maps don't really eliminate spawn killing, that's entirely dependent on sight-lines and where the spawns are relative to them.
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
LMAO please provide some evidence for that. Even if it did have the best multiplayer since reach .. who cares? Wow halo 5 beat the mcc and halo 4 what an accomplishment!
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Objectively false. Not even 343 has implied something so ridiculous.
Apparently you haven't heard, Bravo confirmed that it was most popular since Halo 3
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Objectively false. Not even 343 has implied something so ridiculous.
Apparently you haven't heard, Bravo confirmed that it was most popular since Halo 3
And that's somehow the highest population of any Halo ever?
Really...Really? This thread again! Removing sprint will not make halo halo again. Sprint works just fine. These are newer Spartans. Not the same big boys like master chief. As time has passed new technologies have developed and they were incorporated into the new Spartans. So lets stop whining about sprint and nerfing such and such weapon. Come on! 343 has done a great job since they took over the reigns from Bungie. There are a few minor things that can be changed but, overall they nailed it.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Objectively false. Not even 343 has implied something so ridiculous.
Apparently you haven't heard, Bravo confirmed that it was most popular since Halo 3
And that's somehow the highest population of any Halo ever?
My bad auto correct. Most populated. If you want you can look for yourself.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
H5 has has the best multiplayer since Reach and the highest population of any Halo to date.
Objectively false. Not even 343 has implied something so ridiculous.
Apparently you haven't heard, Bravo confirmed that it was most popular since Halo 3
And that's somehow the highest population of any Halo ever?
My bad auto correct. Most populated. If you want you can look for yourself.
Again you're missing the point.

The most populated since Halo 3 isn't the same as the most populated Halo game ever made. That statement implies it didn't even exceed the population of Halo 3 itself.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 151
  4. 152
  5. 153
  6. 154
  7. 155
  8. ...
  9. 825