Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 166
  4. 167
  5. 168
  6. 169
  7. 170
  8. ...
  9. 840
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
people hated the story and let 343 do what they want
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
people hated the story and let 343 do what they want
Letting 343 do what they want gave us both the worst multiplayer (Halo 4) and the worst campaign (H5G) in franchise history. This just proves that above all, they need supervision, primarily from the fanbase.
Celestis wrote:
because it makes the gameplay more competitive and fast paced which halo should be
also allows more then one move meant speed plus much more
It makes the gameplay less fast-paced. Time between encounters in the newer games is twice as long (15-20 seconds) than in the older games (5-10 seconds). Matches end way more frequently in time-outs than before, even though the total match duration has been increased since Halo 4. If you want to speed up the game, just increase the base movement speed. No need for sprint.
Next.
And in case he's wondering why, the longer time between encounters is because of larger maps which are built for the sprint speed. So because nobody is always sprinting, people are actually traversing the map slower. You can add to that how sprint allows, at times, for people to escape a fight with nothing to lose (though this is made worse with thruster and 343 map design that includes an over abundance of cover), which obviously lengthens the match and also making it slower paced.
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
people hated the story and let 343 do what they want
Letting 343 do what they want gave us both the worst multiplayer (Halo 4) and the worst campaign (H5G) in franchise history. This just proves that above all, they need supervision, primarily from the fanbase.
halo 5 fans want cortana back so they had to rewrite it and halos 4 wasnt bad
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
people hated the story and let 343 do what they want
Letting 343 do what they want gave us both the worst multiplayer (Halo 4) and the worst campaign (H5G) in franchise history. This just proves that above all, they need supervision, primarily from the fanbase.
halo 5 fans want cortana back so they had to rewrite it and halos 4 wasnt bad
Nobody was asking for Cortana back. Specifically, nobody was asking for Cortana to be turned into "space Hitler".
The overall consens on Halo 4's multiplayer is that it's a piece of trash, a straight Call-of-Duty-ripoff and the worst in the series. Altough I have to admit, in my personal opinion, H5G is far worse.
Also, "Halo 5 fans"? Before the game was even released? I think by this point you're just replying for the sake of arguing...
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
Proof.
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
ok tell me why removing sprint with make halo halo again? halo has and always will be halo
Because the gameplay of Halo was built around the mantra of having combat during movement, and not one instead of the other. A design philosophy that 343 seems to trample underfoot.
meaning? just cause the first one didnt have it doesnt mean none can have it
Meaning that the Halo gameplay was specifically designed without sprint. Bungie tried it in an early build for Halo 2 and threw it out once they realized it broke the gameplay mechanics. It's quite literally not Halo gameplay if it has sprint.
it still is halo just cause bungie didnt have it doesnt mean its wrong for 343 to put it in the game
No it's not and yes it is.
Regardless, I'm still waiting for your explanation why we need sprint in the game.
how was it wrong please do tell?
Because people hated it and population plummeted.
people hated the story and let 343 do what they want
Letting 343 do what they want gave us both the worst multiplayer (Halo 4) and the worst campaign (H5G) in franchise history. This just proves that above all, they need supervision, primarily from the fanbase.
halo 5 fans want cortana back so they had to rewrite it and halos 4 wasnt bad
Nobody was asking for Cortana back. Specifically, nobody was asking for Cortana to be turned into "space Hitler".
The overall consens on Halo 4's multiplayer is that it's a piece of trash, a straight Call-of-Duty-riposs and the worst in the series. Altough I have to admit, in my personal opinion, H5G is far worse.
Also, "Halo 5 fans"? Before the game was even released? I think by this point you're just replying for the sake of arguing...
im not arguing to argue you still have given me a reason why sprint is bad and that is was "wrong" for 343 to put it in
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
It literally affected a core mechanic that had been unchanged since the dawn of Halo itself. Pretty sure that's the very definition of "breaking Halo" when you have to encroach on such a basic element of every game that came before in order to make it work.
slvr cobra wrote:
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
It literally affected a core mechanic that had been unchanged since the dawn of Halo itself. Pretty sure that's the very definition of "breaking Halo" when you have to encroach on such a basic element of every game that came before in order to make it work.
so it changed one small thing
slvr cobra wrote:
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
It literally affected a core mechanic that had been unchanged since the dawn of Halo itself. Pretty sure that's the very definition of "breaking Halo" when you have to encroach on such a basic element of every game that came before in order to make it work.
so it changed one small thing
The fact that Midship, one of the smallest maps in Halo, somehow ended up stretched to the size of a football field in H5 should be telling about how Sprint affected the game's map design.

This also extends to annoyances like Spartan Charge and the overpowered guns that were buffed to compensate for all the crazy speed.
Techarch 1 wrote:
Unwisested wrote:
The arguement of how halo """"""stole""""" sprint from cod is just as believable as saying that halo """"stole""" the first person shooting style from doom or wolfenestein
Well

It did...
So true. Halo was made to mimic classic arena shooters such as Doom and Quake. They didn't have sprint and they succeeded. Reach put sprint in and failed compared to Halo 3. Every Halo game sense had seen worse and worse player counts and purchases.
I never knew that being in a type of genre ment that you stole it...

...interesting...
Sprint is unnecessary mechanic in Halo 5. It's pointless to sprinting, because you cannot shoot, cancels when being shot, reset timer for shield recharge and shield doesn't recharge. 343 put this to compromise the hate and balance of sprint, which made no point of sprint. It should never come to Halo again. On YouTube there is guy named Wpns Grade and he makes very good point on why spring doesn't belong to Halo. I find it myself walking is better and it doesn't really take long time to reach other points.
Personally I'm fine with or without sprint, but I feel if it didn't have sprint then it would be better, because it would (sort of) heal the rift that we have.

As far as I know, there are more players who don't want sprint than the ones who do.

I always liked not being able to sprint. I still felt fast enough to function in combat proficiently.

I like being able to sprint in H5G, because if you were in combat, well, you wouldn't walk at a steady pace the whole time. Sometimes you would run.
Still, I liked Halo: Reach's sprint better, though I feel it could have lasted longer and had a longer recharge time.

Just make the next game without sprint; I don't care whether or not it has it, but it seems many people don't want it.
slvr cobra wrote:
slvr cobra wrote:
I can deal with Sprint, but not unlimited Sprint with a screwed-up shielding system.

Reach Sprint or no Sprint I'd be fine either way, but H4 and especially H5's Sprint are garbage and completely break Halo.
it doesnt break halo
It literally affected a core mechanic that had been unchanged since the dawn of Halo itself. Pretty sure that's the very definition of "breaking Halo" when you have to encroach on such a basic element of every game that came before in order to make it work.
so it changed one small thing
You call changing a "core mechanic" changing a small thing?

Would making shields not recharge be changing a small thing?
Would it be a small thing to remove jumping and/or crouching?
why does this have 168 pages?
if ya dont wanna sprint, you don't have to.
ez pz
HCS makes everyone here sound stupid. Pros use sprint properly and its balanced. High level play is much different. Being onyx i can tell from experince. If you sprint in the wrong place you are melted end of story. No matter how much you say sprint is bad. Its just another tool to use and not bad if anything helpful. Same with thrust. Was not needed but helpful. A tool. Spartan use tools no matter what it is. And they use it to win no matter what. The only yhing thats bad about arena is the spawns. Spawn time should be longer and spawns showuld always have your back to the wall not out in the open
HCS are paid to play. There is a complete difference there
With more modern technology 343 can make much bigger maps hosting more players, sprinting is very helpful as it helps us navigate the maps that are made.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 166
  4. 167
  5. 168
  6. 169
  7. 170
  8. ...
  9. 840