3. 183
  4. 184
  5. 185
  6. 186
  7. 187
  8. ...
  9. 840
tsassi wrote:
There is no data that supports the notion that the majority of players enjoy sprint. In fact, population numbers express the exact opposite. Obviously neither side has concrete proof (we can't possibly determine why players still play and why they don't), but player retention has been on a major downward spiral since H4. That's something you just can't ignore/dismiss.
To be truthful, Halo's capability to retain players has been steadily decreasing since Halo 2. Not to mention, it's impossible to attach significance to any single mechanic when so much has changed. Not only in Halo, but also in the shooter landscape around it. The population data only tells the popularity has decreased over the years, but it offers no explanation as to why that is.

Really, we just don't know what the majority of players thinks of sprint. Anybody who thinks the majority is on their side is not being honest to themselves.
Nice graph and very true, that's why I added "major" in there. H4 just completely plummeted compared to the steady decline of the past titles. I wish we had some H5 data.
Halo has not been halo since halo 2.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
thank you someone knows lol
tbh sprinting is a must need bc it helps you get to cover easily
And what will happen to fast-paced/navigation gametypes like strongholds? And what gives you the right to define a "proper" halo map design?
Also, someone really needs to lock this thread
have you somehow forgotten halo 3?
That empowers cowards and noobs to never challenge and play defensively ALL THE TIME
Sonyu wrote:
As a spartan super soilder you are not just faster and stronger, you are to be extordanairaly smarter and quicker congetively. Complaining about issued equipment for todays rules of engagment means your not cut out to be a spartan! Buck up buttercup! this ain't the marine corpse any more.
That seriously made me laugh and especially since I imagined the sergeant barking orders at master chief with a huge stogie while yelling it.

I completely agree with the notion that Spartans are super soldiers, but to a lesser degree are stil grounded in realism since they are infact..human. Sprinting just makes sense to me to sell that bit of realism. By making it an advantage only by practicing situational awareness, it doesn't have to dominate your every move. I only sprint when I see it as a means to gain an advantage. That takes away zero for me in terms of gameplay and still feels like Halo has evolved.
And what will happen to fast-paced/navigation gametypes like strongholds?
How did Territories and KotH play before?
Who says Sprint is the only way to increase pacing or somehow indicates that the game is fast paced?
Whoever uses, the "you are a super soldier" argument, is completely wrong.
"IF I'M A SUPER SOLDIER, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SPRINT!"
Ok, you are a super soldier, and in the lore it says that you can sprint.
But this is completely, dumb.
If you are a spartan, you should be able to eat, drink, load your bullets in the magazine, auto-aim (yes they can do that), crawl, stop breathing for stealthy situations, high five other spartans, level any building, see through walls, cry as your fellow spartans die (spartan 4's are quite emotional) and rest.
If you use that argument, then all of the above should be in the halo mp for you.
Yeah, stop using that super soldier argument.
Amazing to see that this post is still trending!
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
I don't think that the removal of sprint would 'save halo' but I do think that maybe sprint should be like in halo 4 and reach where you can only sprint for a certain amount of time. I think that would make spartan abilities like spartan charge a bit less annoying would and I think it would really complement and help balance out the game-play.
Cuxp wrote:
Not too surprising. Sprint is the most controversial halo mechanic in franchise history.
While I would have preferred Sprint to never make an appearance in Halo, it doesn't seem so easy to just remove it now that it's been in the last 3 games and is starting to really become a main mechanic of the series, especially considering all the (admittedly, pretty cool) Spartan abilities in H5 that use it.

In my eyes losing Sprint won't make Halo 'Halo' again. Personally, it's also the art style, the music and the Covenant-Human War that really mean Halo to me.

Regardless, Halo 5 plays great with sprint, they did a pretty good job on creating the multiplayer sandbox present in this game. It is honestly one of the most satisfying, fluid and balanced multiplayer games I've ever played.

At this point, considering how I enjoy the Halo 5 MP, I do not mind if Sprint stays. If I had a choice? I'd rather go back to no sprint, but I doubt that will happen so I'm fine with it staying. What I really want from Halo 6 is a solid MP sandbox like Halo 5's with a clean UI similar to Reach's and a vast array of features present in games like Halo 3/Reach at launch. That means Forge, File Browser, Bungie Favourites, Theatre (working properly plx) and all the other new cool stuff in Halo 5 like Warzone, Warzone Firefight (With Reach's customization options), customization similar to Halo 3 or Reach (not that keen on REQ packs for customization).

I just want it to be a massive -blam- fest of content at launch. The biggest Halo we'll ever see.
have you somehow forgotten halo 3?
H3 sucked.
That empowers cowards and noobs to never challenge and play defensively ALL THE TIME
Toss a grenade at them! It works for me!
I really don't have an issue with sprint, honestly you have to be smart when to use it and if you sprint into your death, well that's your fault. Personally I rarely use sprint except when I want to slide. Now, on this topic, please get rid of Spartan charges. They are absurd and allow sprinting noobs a way out. I actually like ground pound, that takes skill, but Spartan charge takes no skill at all.
I really don't have an issue with sprint, honestly you have to be smart when to use it and if you sprint into your death, well that's your fault. Personally I rarely use sprint except when I want to slide. Now, on this topic, please get rid of Spartan charges. They are absurd and allow sprinting noobs a way out. I actually like ground pound, that takes skill, but Spartan charge takes no skill at all.
ground pound is really a *click-and-shoot mechanic. Maybe a bit more skilled
but spartan charge is literally a QTE
press rb to win
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 183
  4. 184
  5. 185
  6. 186
  7. 187
  8. ...
  9. 840