Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 185
  4. 186
  5. 187
  6. 188
  7. 189
  8. ...
  9. 840
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.

An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
The Halo fanbase is full of excuses for every situation, aren't they?
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.
An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
So all those people who hated sprint and dominated every community poll up until two years ago left... in order to play Call of Duty?
A game which is sprint galore?
All at the same time?
The logic of some people on waypoint is hilarious...
Celestis wrote:
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.

An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
So all those people who hated sprint and dominated every community poll up until two years ago left... in order to play Call of Duty? All at the same time?
The logic of some people on waypoint is hilarious...
They all went to college or got jobs or families all at the same time too. We all know people with jobs don't have any time on their hands. Especially those college kids, no free time at all.
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.

An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
Yet it is that single decision that carries much of the blame. Halo has traditionally been an arena style shooter; however with Reach, and the implementations of armor abilities and loadouts, the game itself was changed. Halo 4 was an attempt to "modernize" the franchise, (a.k.a. Make it like CoD) and the game's sales and player numbers really speak for themselves. The Halo fanbase did not play the games with sprint for nearly as long as the ones without. Sprint is a mechanic that requires map design, gameplay, and overall feel of the game to be changed. A franchise can still feel relevant and modern without straying away from its roots. Doom is a great example of a shooter that stayed true to its roots and is still killing it in sales because it's not trying to be something it's not. Halo needs to go back to being Halo. So take out sprint.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The Halo fanbase is full of excuses for every situation, aren't they?
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Halo: The only game I'm aware of where Running; Something were all capable off is a feature that's a debate. I like being able to get from Position A to Be faster; I like the faster pace gameplay and i like how Sprinting has made guns like the AR and SMG useable in Multiplayer. What I think makes this a topic of debate is how it works in regards to your energy shields in Halo 5. I don't mind that you have to stop running to have your shields recharge, but I think that that didnt happen....people would be happier about it.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The Halo fanbase is full of excuses for every situation, aren't they?
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Its the most influential mechanic to how the game is played and designed since its inclusion. Correlation doesnt guarantee causation but the correlation in this mechanics implementation and these sales and population figures go hand in hand. Also if you can tell by the length of the thread, people genuinely care about how it is included, implemented and why it should be tossed aside after 6 years of negative trends.

Unless 343 would like to offer some sales and population data to indicate nu-halo is doing well...we know this may never happen...bummer.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The Halo fanbase is full of excuses for every situation, aren't they?
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Few people would argue it's a single factor. But when you suggest the main reason a game performs worse isn't because people like it less, it's a little laughable. Number one reason people stop buying a game: they stopped liking it as much. A franchise doesn't remain just as good or better and people stop buying it.

Like, I said though, the fanbase is full of excuses. It's never the quality of the game, it's always every other excuse under the sun.
i already posted my opinion but since this thread keeps coming back up...here's a summary. No it won't.
Celestis wrote:
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.
An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
So all those people who hated sprint and dominated every community poll up until two years ago left... in order to play Call of Duty?
A game which is sprint galore?
All at the same time?
The logic of some people on waypoint is hilarious...
Highly-dedicated community members who participate in forums and polls are completely different from the average gamer that bought Halo 3 almost 10 years ago at the height of the series' popularity. That's, what, a thousand community members compared to millions of people? Out of those 8 million I'd wager a lot of them stopped playing Halo over the last 10 years due to the factors I mentioned.
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Considering each and every miniscule possibility besides the one common element that all Halo games with huge population (and since H5G also sales) drops share is coming up with excuses, yes.

Highly-dedicated community members who participate in forums and polls are completely different from the average gamer that bought Halo 3 almost 10 years ago at the height of the series' popularity. That's, what, a thousand community members compared to millions of people? Out of those 8 million I'd wager a lot of them stopped playing Halo over the last 10 years due to the factors I mentioned.
Besides the fact that the timeframe is higly convenient for your argument, most of your points don't even make sense. Steam already existed back when Halo 3 was released, and most action games in recent memory had completely broken PC ports (i.e. Arkham Knight, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls, etc.) Lastly, I've went to college myself and am currently doing my PhD thesis on neutrino-physics, and even though I'm 12 hours a day in the office (while being only paid for 4) I now have more time and money than ever before for gaming (and other forms of leisure activities). This generation has been the first one where I've been able to afford all three mainstream consoles, while still having a high-end gaming PC at home, in addition to mobile devices, that is. A carreer does not hinder you from extensive gaming, it enables you.
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
Small note: Halo 4 was THE BEST-SELLING Halo game EVER. What was that you were saying about sales numbers since H3?
WOP1796 wrote:
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
I love how people love to make sweeping blanket statements about what the fanbase prefers.

An overwhelming majority left because of changes in gameplay mechanics? Not because of a complex string of factors such as the expansion of the FPS market (especially CoD), Steam making PC gaming viable again, and people not having the time to game anymore due to college, a career, or families? Pinning the blame for Halo's decline on a single factor doesn't make for a healthy discussion.
Yet it is that single decision that carries much of the blame. Halo has traditionally been an arena style shooter; however with Reach, and the implementations of armor abilities and loadouts, the game itself was changed. Halo 4 was an attempt to "modernize" the franchise, (a.k.a. Make it like CoD) and the game's sales and player numbers really speak for themselves. The Halo fanbase did not play the games with sprint for nearly as long as the ones without. Sprint is a mechanic that requires map design, gameplay, and overall feel of the game to be changed. A franchise can still feel relevant and modern without straying away from its roots. Doom is a great example of a shooter that stayed true to its roots and is still killing it in sales because it's not trying to be something it's not. Halo needs to go back to being Halo. So take out sprint.
There are simple solutions to loadouts AND armor abilities AND sprint.
Loadout solution: Create and play game types that do not have loadouts. It is actually factually possible to disable all loadouts and give everyone the same weapons.
Armor Ability solution: Set the armor ability slot to "none".
Sprint solution: Don't click the little joystick residing adjacent to yer port opposable (left thumb).
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy playing Halo 3: Anniversary Edition (Halo 5: Guardians).

Adios.
Au revoir.

Have fun!
Celestis wrote:
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Considering each and every miniscule possibility besides the one common element that all Halo games with huge population (and since H5G also sales) drops share is coming up with excuses, yes.

Highly-dedicated community members who participate in forums and polls are completely different from the average gamer that bought Halo 3 almost 10 years ago at the height of the series' popularity. That's, what, a thousand community members compared to millions of people? Out of those 8 million I'd wager a lot of them stopped playing Halo over the last 10 years due to the factors I mentioned.
Besides the fact that the timeframe is higly convenient for your argument, most of your points don't even make sense. Steam already existed back when Halo 3 was released, and most action games in recent memory had completely broken PC ports (i.e. Arkham Knight, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls, etc.) Lastly, I've went to college myself and am currently doing my PhD thesis on neutrino-physics, and even though I'm 12 hours a day in the office (while being only paid for 4) I now have more time and money than ever before for gaming (and other forms of leisure activities). This generation has been the first one where I've been able to afford all three mainstream consoles, while still having a high-end gaming PC at home, in addition to mobile devices, that is. A carreer does not hinder you from extensive gaming, it enables you.
I feel like the only people that make the college/career/family argument have no experience with any of those things.

All my friends I play with have career, most have families (anywhere from 1-6 kids) and range from ages 25-40. Most of them play games daily or weekly.
Cerberzok wrote:
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
Small note: Halo 4 was THE BEST-SELLING Halo game EVER. What was that you were saying about sales numbers since H3?
You need evidence to back a claim like this. Straight from this very website for H3 units sold. 343 never released 4s unit sales much like 5s lack of data, here is our best guess. So 4 sold significantly less than 3 and less than Reach, considering this was the first of the 343s games coupled with the insane marketing and largest budget ever thats a disappointment. Do you have any evidence that shows less unit sales? Population figures? Nu-halo is a downward trend accept it.
Cerberzok wrote:
I don't think so, I have been playing halo since the beginning and adapting with the gameplay is part of the experience, I think they could make a traditional halo playlist and I think that would be fun.
It's not about adapting. It's what you prefer to play. If you like sprint game play over no sprint game play then good. More power to you. But the overwhelming majority prefer no sprint game play. As seen evidence by sales numbers since halo 3
Small note: Halo 4 was THE BEST-SELLING Halo game EVER. What was that you were saying about sales numbers since H3?
Normally, I'd ask something like, "what are you smoking" but you must have some sort of source to say something like that.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Celestis wrote:
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Considering each and every miniscule possibility besides the one common element that all Halo games with huge population (and since H5G also sales) drops share is coming up with excuses, yes.

Highly-dedicated community members who participate in forums and polls are completely different from the average gamer that bought Halo 3 almost 10 years ago at the height of the series' popularity. That's, what, a thousand community members compared to millions of people? Out of those 8 million I'd wager a lot of them stopped playing Halo over the last 10 years due to the factors I mentioned.
Besides the fact that the timeframe is higly convenient for your argument, most of your points don't even make sense. Steam already existed back when Halo 3 was released, and most action games in recent memory had completely broken PC ports (i.e. Arkham Knight, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls, etc.) Lastly, I've went to college myself and am currently doing my PhD thesis on neutrino-physics, and even though I'm 12 hours a day in the office (while being only paid for 4) I now have more time and money than ever before for gaming (and other forms of leisure activities). This generation has been the first one where I've been able to afford all three mainstream consoles, while still having a high-end gaming PC at home, in addition to mobile devices, that is. A carreer does not hinder you from extensive gaming, it enables you.
I feel like the only people that make the college/career/family argument have no experience with any of those things.

All my friends I play with have career, most have families (anywhere from 1-6 kids) and range from ages 25-40. Most of them play games daily or weekly.
Agree, Im on my doctoral in econ with a fiancee and I can pour tons of time into video games if I wanted. Heck Im able to instruct 3 classes a semester, work out daily, do 2-3 hours of research and I can still pump in 3 hours of halo easily. It helps having an X1 in my office lol. As my financial means improved my ability to play games has not been hindered. Children on the other hand should have an impact on your social sphere for the first 18 months at least.
Celestis wrote:
So arguing that Halo's decline in population and sales was brought about by larger factors outside of 343i's control rather than the inclusion of Sprint is the equivalent of coming up with excuses now?

I'm genuinely impressed with how hard the level of discussion in this thread has hit rock bottom.
Considering each and every miniscule possibility besides the one common element that all Halo games with huge population (and since H5G also sales) drops share is coming up with excuses, yes.

Highly-dedicated community members who participate in forums and polls are completely different from the average gamer that bought Halo 3 almost 10 years ago at the height of the series' popularity. That's, what, a thousand community members compared to millions of people? Out of those 8 million I'd wager a lot of them stopped playing Halo over the last 10 years due to the factors I mentioned.
Besides the fact that the timeframe is higly convenient for your argument, most of your points don't even make sense. Steam already existed back when Halo 3 was released, and most action games in recent memory had completely broken PC ports (i.e. Arkham Knight, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls, etc.) Lastly, I've went to college myself and am currently doing my PhD thesis on neutrino-physics, and even though I'm 12 hours a day in the office (while being only paid for 4) I now have more time and money than ever before for gaming (and other forms of leisure activities). This generation has been the first one where I've been able to afford all three mainstream consoles, while still having a high-end gaming PC at home, in addition to mobile devices, that is. A carreer does not hinder you from extensive gaming, it enables you.
Steam existed, yes, but it was still a fledgling service that had massive technical issues despite having existed for 3 years at that point. Steam started really, well, picking up steam after the launch of The Orange Box. The incredibly-well-received game collection brought people into the Steam ecosystem, which in turn brought in more revenue. Valve managed to overhaul Steam with that cash and by 2010 (Reach's launch) it was a force to be reckoned with. By 2012, it became a juggernaut in its own right. 2015 was its best and biggest year yet. And for every broken game there were/are tons of AAA and indie titles that launched without a hitch. Its impact on Halo as well as console gaming as a whole should not be discounted.

Regarding your work and education, not everyone is as fortunate as you. Have you considered that not everyone can balance a 12-hour job and a PhD thesis (let alone accomplish the kind of work that would allow them to reach that point in their post-grad education) while also finding substantial gaming time?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 185
  4. 186
  5. 187
  6. 188
  7. 189
  8. ...
  9. 840