Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 828
If sprint were removed, sliding would also be gone since you need to sprint in order to slide.
The reason why sprint was added to halo was to make it more fast paced. Newer generations of gamers (me included) who didn't grow up with halo are used to fast paced games such as battlefield, cod, and just about every other fps. It's hard for a slow paced game like the older halos and even the newer ones to attract the gamers so they added sprint. To be honest I like sprint when I don't have it I feel like a turtle with a gun. Sure you might not like it but your not everyone. 343 also has to appeal to the newer generations as well.
Flawed argument. That's probably because you haven't grown up with the older games, so sprint is all you know. Everyone and their mother says the new Doom game is one of the fastest paced games out now and it has no sprint. The masses don't know what they want, they only think they know, that's why it's 343's job to show you want you want. Making a fast paced game without sprint is insanely easy, but nobody - including the devs - cares to think for themselves.
Naqser wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
A: Since the anti-sprint camp is only a section of the community it would not be the game everyone wants.
B: There has never been a clear answer as to why people think two geared movement isn't 'competitive'. Nor do I consider competitiveness to be the be all and end all of Halo. It has a role, but that isn't all halo is as h5 has shown to some degree.
C: You call any position other than yours 'absurd' though you fail to demonstrate how.
D: Loudly proclaiming that sprint has no place in 'competitive' halo is a claim, not an argument. You need to back up your claim if it is to be taken seriously.
E: Halo 5 has map design problems, but they don't really center around sprint. They center around size, spawning, blind corners, and lack of variety.
F: As a Halo veteran with no distaste for sprint, this argument form ignorance that the loss of population overtime is due to sprint that has been flooding the forum of late is getting tiresome. You still have nothing to base the claim on. It is still the equivalent of walking into your kitchen in the morning and seeing a plate of French toast and assuming a unicorn with a glittering mane made it for you.
This

Sprint is far from the be all and end all of halo. It never was and never will be. As I have said many, many times before i am pretty neutral as far as sprint goes but saying it will solve all problems is shallow and demonstrably not true.

A number of people have pointed to the increase in FPS without sprint as some form of evidence but from what i can see Doom has performed badly to say the least.

Its twitch rating has dropped hugely and it consistently sits below H5 most days despite being multi-platform. I realise this isnt the best measure but look at the steam numbers Here and you can see how numbers have dropped.
Single Player is where Doom excel, Multiplayer is where it doesn't.

Single Player only draw so much Twitch audience, Multiplayer always pull more.

It's logical that Doom isn't viewed as much on Twitch because the MP part was a let down. Loadouts and so fortg.
True, i didnt mean to suggest it was sprint that caused it just that many have mentioned it as a sign saying you dont need sprint to be successful (which you dont but it doesnt hurt either)
Maybe this is too radical, like poeple said a million times, make a classic playlist like in the old days. Lets just try maybe it is awesome
getatme94 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
A: Since the anti-sprint camp is only a section of the community it would not be the game everyone wants.
B: There has never been a clear answer as to why people think two geared movement isn't 'competitive'. Nor do I consider competitiveness to be the be all and end all of Halo. It has a role, but that isn't all halo is as h5 has shown to some degree.
C: You call any position other than yours 'absurd' though you fail to demonstrate how.
D: Loudly proclaiming that sprint has no place in 'competitive' halo is a claim, not an argument. You need to back up your claim if it is to be taken seriously.
E: Halo 5 has map design problems, but they don't really center around sprint. They center around size, spawning, blind corners, and lack of variety.
F: As a Halo veteran with no distaste for sprint, this argument form ignorance that the loss of population overtime is due to sprint that has been flooding the forum of late is getting tiresome. You still have nothing to base the claim on. It is still the equivalent of walking into your kitchen in the morning and seeing a plate of French toast and assuming a unicorn with a glittering mane made it for you.
This

Sprint is far from the be all and end all of halo. It never was and never will be. As I have said many, many times before i am pretty neutral as far as sprint goes but saying it will solve all problems is shallow and demonstrably not true.

A number of people have pointed to the increase in FPS without sprint as some form of evidence but from what i can see Doom has performed badly to say the least.

Its twitch rating has dropped hugely and it consistently sits below H5 most days despite being multi-platform. I realise this isnt the best measure but look at the steam numbers Here and you can see how numbers have dropped.
yet overwatch, and counterstrike are just fine
True, CS has been a huge game for a long time but this is mostly a PC game where the audience is quite different to that of a console. As for overwatch, its still very early days so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
getatme94 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
It's funny to see the people who defended doom so much during beta now say it's terrible. But on topic, anyone who claims the sprint alone is not halo, I've learned to ignore. People need to stop bandwagon jumping on ways halo 5 is bad. I see the same excuses over and over. Map design, sprint, no BR starts. It's funny and annoying at the same time to be a member of the halo community. P.S I've heard several pros say this is the best halo yet and I agree.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
*Looks at sales*

Way ahead of you.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
You can't tell the other people to not sprint lol... If you don't like sprint, Doom and Overwatch are great alternatives. They are both great games, imo.

I think Halo 5 is a great game, I like sprint. I also believe it would still be a great game without sprint as well. Sprint doesn't really make a difference, imo.
goodanhigh wrote:
It's funny to see the people who defended doom so much during beta now say it's terrible. But on topic, anyone who claims the sprint alone is not halo, I've learned to ignore. People need to stop bandwagon jumping on ways halo 5 is bad. I see the same excuses over and over. Map design, sprint, no BR starts. It's funny and annoying at the same time to be a member of the halo community. P.S I've heard several pros say this is the best halo yet and I agree.
That's funny, I wasn't really a fan of the Doom beta, I thought it was pretty bad actually... But the final game is amazing though, I think lol.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
You can't tell the other people to not sprint lol... If you don't like sprint, Doom and Overwatch are great alternatives. They are both great games, imo.

I think Halo 5 is a great game, I like sprint. I also believe it would still be a great game without sprint as well. Sprint doesn't really make a difference, imo.
Agreed.

I find these sprint threads the worst kind of clickbait. I just cant resist even though its usually the same stuff over and over again.
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????)
I want Halo 6 to have sprint, especially in the Campaign. So I guess not everyone.
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
It happens to me as well but it usually goes away within a couple of minutes so you may not need to come out of the game to sort it.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
*Looks at sales*

Way ahead of you.
You must've missed it last week when Frank (ya know, one of the guys who made the game) talked about the sales of H5. It's doing just fine.
They should just re-master Halo 3 as a test run. Maybe add in some new maps, few of their game modes... think it was Domination I enjoyed other then CTF. Just my opinion though.
Gandalfur wrote:
. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
Please tell us oh grand master enlightened one, what is the proper way? Can you even comprehend how subjective the highlighted line is? I can't stand Overwatch, because there is only one movement speed, It completely takes away from possible strategies. I also hate the ridiculously fast speed of Doom. Its like everybody is strung out on meth. Again it limits your strategies. I hate limits, I want options. I want the chance to get away if I see a whole gang running for me. I want to be able to run if I see my teammates need help. I want larger maps because I want to be able to put distance between me and my enemies if needed. I also want to be able to close that distance fast when needed.

That said, I would love, LOVE for H5 and H6 to have a "Classic Halo" gametype with no sprinting, no abilities. with the H2 Br as a starting weapon.
Putting a classic game mode is the developers admitting there stuff does haven't the magic that the previous guys did. It's a tough decision to make, but one I think 343i needs to make in order, at least, preserve the legacy of Halo for future titles.
I grew up with the original Halo's. If they took sprint out I wouldn't care. If they leave it in I wouldn't care. There is so much more to this game than sprinting. Is Halo 5 flawed? Sure. But it is also one of the best multiplayers Halo has ever provided, and thats coming from someone who spent the majority of my free time in Halo 2 and 3. Instead of complaining about one insignificant aspect of the game, try appreciating all the things it does right
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 828