Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 369
  4. 370
  5. 371
  6. 372
  7. 373
  8. ...
  9. 838
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
They made the Warzone maps stretched out so you would have to use sprint. Not having sprint would basically make Warzone a broken gamemode since the maps were built for it. You nostalgic Halo fans need to suck it up.
...

They could just not stretch the maps. Then you know, they wouldn't be plagued by people sitting a mile away with rifles and snipers picking you off as you try to cross the mile of no man's land between every part of the map.
If you want smaller maps play Arena. Problem solved.
You don't make any sense.
Then don't talk to me.
You should read some of the thread because you clearly don't understand what people are complaining about.
I read it and I do understand it. I think I make sense enough if you still want to talk to me.
Your post claimed that if he wanted smaller maps he should play arena, his earlier post said that sprint creates large empty areas on maps, this exists equally in all gamemodes. You replied with a solution that had nothing do do with the problem, showing that you don't understand the problem.
This is from an hour ago. If you wanted start again I would have came earlier.
Sorry some people don't sit on waypoint all day, I don't think anyone else has a problem with getting a reply from an hour ago, it's not a long time when others take days, some people are still quoting op from months ago.
I wonder what OP does on waypoint now. From all the hate people have given him, I would have quit.
I think have new a controller option in H6 for all the old school players that they can switch off sprint anytime they want - and we will see how many do this when everybody else is sprinting around the WZ maps!
Irrelevant post is irrelevant, unless that control scheme gives you a 120 BMS, then your see who is still using sprint after a few weeks.
Yes maybe but playing without the sprint would be such a slow game. I played some multiplayer on MCC this past weekend it was just slow! Sprinting is a basic human movement it needs to be in the game, period!
While halo 1 through 3 are probly my favorite games of all time its very painful going back to the classic style. The games feel so slow amoung other things. For me increasing the base speed doesnt solve the issue of getting rid of sprint. Sprint is about having a second gear from the standard base speed. It provides more tactical options and ways to attack situations differently. Id imagine 343 knows that if they were to remove sprint to try and please the non sprint crowd that it wouldnt do a thing because most of those people will just find another issue to bring up on why 343 cant make a good halo game. As a halo fan from the beginning i personally loved the addition of sprint. I remember wishing halo had sprint before it had sprint. I cant think of another game that makes more sense to have sprint than halo.
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
When sprinting, you cannot fire. This disrupts the Golden Triangle of weapons, grenades, and melees: the idea that Halo's gameplay was originally founded upon. Halo is Halo CE, Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo 3: ODST. Reach really pushed it, and Halo 4 was simply a sin. Balancing sprint has made it bearable, but it has completely changed the map design in Halo 5, and the gameplay is nothing like it once was. If these gameplay changes were implemented in a different title, then I wouldn't care. They could actually be really awesome with more fine tuning. However, this is Halo, and as a vet, that means that there's no easy way out when I overextend. That means that I'm punished for not thinking twice about my position. It means that I can accurately predict my opponents movement when I lose sight of them.

So yeah, the problem isn't solved by not sprinting, it's solved by not designing the rest of the game around such a game mechanic. Why is it that the vets have to make their own maps and game variants in order to enjoy what Halo (god forbid) was? How can it not be the other way around? The only answer that I can think of, is that 343i doesn't care about the core Halo vets, but maybe it's really MS sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Either way, Halo 5, is not Halo. It's closer than Halo 4 in that there are actually weapon pickups, and no loadouts, but Halo's gameplay was supposed to be simple. That was the point, it was an even playing field.
does halo ce stop being halo when I get into a warthog? Or, if I forge a map in h3 that doesn't adhere to some theory of map design have I stopped playing halo?

I call bs.
Oh? See for yourself.

No, Warthogs are Halo. Thruster Packs, aren't. Warthogs and other vehicles were part of the maps that were designed for multiplayer. Sprint has changed that design.

No, making fun, original content was one of the best things about Halo 3, but it had a plethora of playlists with classic Halo multiplayer gameplay. Anything else?
but I cant shoot in a warthog... golden triangle!

I dont care what your video says, your opinion doesnt amount to proof.
If you wish to be pedantic, then that is your prerogative.

The video has one of the multiplayer designers for Halo talking about the concept of weapons, grenades, and melees.
just sayin'

you snarkily link a youtube video after touting some nonsense about the golden triangle and I'm being called out as a pedant. Good job making me want to see your side.
Most of the time in this thread were referring to infantry combat, many people on both sides either use the vehicles argument against it or treat it as a god that can't be broken for it, but the people that understand what they are talking about mean infantry combat.
but if one thing can take me out of infrantry combat, why cant another?

The notion that the golden triangle is the end all of halo design is false to begin with. Yes it might have been bungie's design mantra for achieving a goal, but halo was such a diverse game to single out one part and say, "This is what it means to be halo." is the largest load of crap I've seen in a while.
That should be very self explanatory, but because vehicle combat and infantry combat are separate things, sprint is not vehicle combat, therefore the golden traingle of infantry combat still applies.
why? Why should it still apply? because Bungie did it once a long time ago? If they are so separate why am I getting gunned down by warthogs? Why am I able to melee as a passenger? Why is an infantry guy climbing into my vehicular combat?

This is an arbitrary line you've drawn. If the golden triangle can be bypassed it can be bypassed. Dual wielding managed that rather well in 2 out of 3 of the classic halos... or was that not infantry combat?
Your just being super pediantric, if you can't understand the difference between infantry and vehicle combat then that's on you. But again, golden traingle says that at any time in infantry you should be able to shoot, melee, or throw grenades, you can shoot while dual wielding, and saying you can melee or shoot while in vehicles only proves the golden traingle to be more true.


pediatric is related to children. Its also an adjective... So its an adjective related to children, just as childish is an adjective related to children. So...? I guess you're wrong there.

I completely understand the difference between being on foot and in a vehicle. Your making the mistake of thinking that because I don't agree with what you're saying I must not understand your words. Thats ridiculous. Now, those differences are only partially related to the golden triangle, as in each case the abilities of the spartans are not fundamental. On foot it is common that a spartan can melee, shoot and throw grenades. But dual wielding impedes this... while on foot. In a vehicle I cannot always shoot, but as a passenger I have access to shooting and melee... why not grenades (at least until recently in h5 I suppose on the back of a Gungoose)? What is so special about being on foot that means I must be at all times be able to access these three offensive actions, especially when we already have an exception to it in H2 and H3... and then again in Bungie's own game in Reach?

I would argue that the Golden Triangle is the basis for halo's combat, not the end goal. These actions should be made available whenever possible- hence we see shooting and melee in passenger seats and all other instances of attacking in the games, really. Under this comprehensive model Sprint fits rather nicely if the goal is to give every chance for spartans to attack, while allowing for times when some actions exclude another. In the same way one cannot throw grenades and melee whilst dual wielding (depends on your control layout) due to having arms being used for other things, Sprinting uses up a spartans arms for the purpose of moving faster (as it is fact that the human body requires the use of arms to achieve maximum speeds while running despite what some may argue). yeah... thats not cannon... but y'know, gameplay trumps cannon right? This would also explain why spartan charge fits. Yes, sprinting removes the ability to shoot or drop a nade, but we can sure melee.

See how that works? It isn't hard to come up with a BS use of the Golden Triangle to justify an opinion.
You used the right definition for the wrong word, I didn't use pediatric, the first quote auto corrected to it though. Nothing else there is new except for the Spartan charge, and seeing how the community views that I think everyone can agree that it's most likely gone in h6. I see your having a really hard time separating things here, but as I've said multiple times, no one claimed that the golden triangle applies to vehicle combat and vehicle combat isn't even in competitive modes like arena where having sprint really turns down gameplay. Dual wielding allows you to shoot, which is part of the golden triangle. Some people do take the whole golden triangle too far but I'm putting it in a very basic and non complicated way.
JIMLUKE104 wrote:
Does anyone know if in H6 you will be able to shoot while you sprint?
Far as I know, we know absolutely nothing on how h6 will play yet. I don't think sprint has even been confirmed to be in or gone yet. We'll see eventually tho. I just wonder what new penalty they'll add to it if they decide to keep using it.
I would assume they would keep it and improve on it. (Like give us the ability to shoot while running & throw grenades).
I think have new a controller option in H6 for all the old school players that they can switch off sprint anytime they want - and we will see how many do this when everybody else is sprinting around the WZ maps!
Irrelevant post is irrelevant, unless that control scheme gives you a 120 BMS, then your see who is still using sprint after a few weeks.
Yes maybe but playing without the sprint would be such a slow game. I played some multiplayer on MCC this past weekend it was just slow! Sprinting is a basic human movement it needs to be in the game, period!
There are plenty of other threads showing how ce and h2 played much faster than h5 with video proof. Halo 3 btb, (which is probably most of what you played because it's all that ever wins votes) has oversized maps and a bad fov making it feel slow
Naqser wrote:
I think have new a controller option in H6 for all the old school players that they can switch off sprint anytime they want - and we will see how many do this when everybody else is sprinting around the WZ maps!
Irrelevant post is irrelevant, unless that control scheme gives you a 120 BMS, then your see who is still using sprint after a few weeks.
Yes maybe but playing without the sprint would be such a slow game. I played some multiplayer on MCC this past weekend it was just slow! Sprinting is a basic human movement it needs to be in the game, period!
You already played Halo 6?
There are many more basic human movement actions we're missing at the moment, following that, those too need to be in the game.
Never said I've played H6 (i wish however)
So name some off those other basic human movements that are still missing!
thanks ...
I want to lie down in Halo.
I want to be able to move my arms individually.
Why can't I kick?
Why can't I eat?
How do I die and respawn?
Why can't I eat?
I've seen this forum consistently staying at the top of the forums list. In my opinion, I think sprint should be in halo, because it makes the game fast paced, fun, and easier to play. Specifically, most of the maps are designed well with sprint in mind. If you remove it, it will mess up the game, and send it back in time when most games didn't have sprint.
How does it make the game face paced?

Yeah, chess was a game that should've evolved, that's why nobody plays it anymore. The same goes for Counterstrike.
Sprint doesn't, trick question.

Chess should have evolved? People still play chess, not sure where you're getting that from.

Not sure if you know this, but when CSGO launched, it was EVOVLED.

You know what happened? The population tanked. Everyone went back to 1.6

Only recently is it doing well, because Valve made it more similar to the previous games. http://steamcharts.com/app/730
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
They made the Warzone maps stretched out so you would have to use sprint. Not having sprint would basically make Warzone a broken gamemode since the maps were built for it. You nostalgic Halo fans need to suck it up.
...

They could just not stretch the maps. Then you know, they wouldn't be plagued by people sitting a mile away with rifles and snipers picking you off as you try to cross the mile of no man's land between every part of the map.
If you want smaller maps play Arena. Problem solved.
You don't make any sense.
Then don't talk to me.
You should read some of the thread because you clearly don't understand what people are complaining about.
I read it and I do understand it. I think I make sense enough if you still want to talk to me.
Your post claimed that if he wanted smaller maps he should play arena, his earlier post said that sprint creates large empty areas on maps, this exists equally in all gamemodes. You replied with a solution that had nothing do do with the problem, showing that you don't understand the problem.
This is from an hour ago. If you wanted start again I would have came earlier.
Sorry some people don't sit on waypoint all day, I don't think anyone else has a problem with getting a reply from an hour ago, it's not a long time when others take days, some people are still quoting op from months ago.
I wonder what OP does on waypoint now. From all the hate people have given him, I would have quit.
He replies every so often, but for the most part I think he abandoned this thread.
Asavage853 wrote:
I think have new a controller option in H6 for all the old school players that they can switch off sprint anytime they want - and we will see how many do this when everybody else is sprinting around the WZ maps!
Irrelevant post is irrelevant, unless that control scheme gives you a 120 BMS, then your see who is still using sprint after a few weeks.
Yes maybe but playing without the sprint would be such a slow game. I played some multiplayer on MCC this past weekend it was just slow! Sprinting is a basic human movement it needs to be in the game, period!
While halo 1 through 3 are probly my favorite games of all time its very painful going back to the classic style. The games feel so slow amoung other things. For me increasing the base speed doesnt solve the issue of getting rid of sprint. Sprint is about having a second gear from the standard base speed. It provides more tactical options and ways to attack situations differently. Id imagine 343 knows that if they were to remove sprint to try and please the non sprint crowd that it wouldnt do a thing because most of those people will just find another issue to bring up on why 343 cant make a good halo game. As a halo fan from the beginning i personally loved the addition of sprint. I remember wishing halo had sprint before it had sprint. I cant think of another game that makes more sense to have sprint than halo.
Well said! Thanks for the input.
Asavage853 wrote:
I think have new a controller option in H6 for all the old school players that they can switch off sprint anytime they want - and we will see how many do this when everybody else is sprinting around the WZ maps!
Irrelevant post is irrelevant, unless that control scheme gives you a 120 BMS, then your see who is still using sprint after a few weeks.
Yes maybe but playing without the sprint would be such a slow game. I played some multiplayer on MCC this past weekend it was just slow! Sprinting is a basic human movement it needs to be in the game, period!
While halo 1 through 3 are probly my favorite games of all time its very painful going back to the classic style. The games feel so slow amoung other things. For me increasing the base speed doesnt solve the issue of getting rid of sprint. Sprint is about having a second gear from the standard base speed. It provides more tactical options and ways to attack situations differently. Id imagine 343 knows that if they were to remove sprint to try and please the non sprint crowd that it wouldnt do a thing because most of those people will just find another issue to bring up on why 343 cant make a good halo game. As a halo fan from the beginning i personally loved the addition of sprint. I remember wishing halo had sprint before it had sprint. I cant think of another game that makes more sense to have sprint than halo.
Then you must be playing some of the worst players in the game if you think CE is slow.

How does having sprint make the game tactical? No one ever has a reason for this.
it gonna take a whole lot more than just that buddy, halo used to be a classic and this company 343 ruined it so bad.
Alright it appears nobody read my long post so im just gonna bullet point everything, but first let me begin. Halo shouldnt have sprint starts here is why
  • Sprint helps the player TOO much, halo in the past was meant to be barebones. And get good with what u got.
  • Sprint is like a power weapon, as said above it helps the player too much and also doesn't take skill to use. Just a push of a button and you're perfecting it.
  • Sprint changes the game play too much. Again, just as I said earlier, sprint is like a power weapon. Its like playing slayer BRs and then playing snipers. People play differently.
  • We never needed sprint in the past. I only really play halo 2 on the PC now, and I never needed to sprint, I was going at a quick pace and had my gun up all the time.
  • In the past halos you were pretty much running with your gun up. Trust me go in theatre mode and tell me those arent running legs.
  • Its quite gimmicky, putting your gun and going faster isnt really revolutionary.
  • It would be more acceptable if it was a power up. It is quite powerful and would be a power up people would like.
And that's all I can remember
And im not nostalgia blinded. I just have a different opinion to you.
I dont own halo 5 or an xbox, but I still played the game, long enough to recognise its pros and cons.
JBODST75 wrote:
it gonna take a whole lot more than just that buddy, halo used to be a classic and this company 343 ruined it so bad.
Yup they did....
But its still fun to debate over it
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
They made the Warzone maps stretched out so you would have to use sprint. Not having sprint would basically make Warzone a broken gamemode since the maps were built for it. You nostalgic Halo fans need to suck it up.
...

They could just not stretch the maps. Then you know, they wouldn't be plagued by people sitting a mile away with rifles and snipers picking you off as you try to cross the mile of no man's land between every part of the map.
If you want smaller maps play Arena. Problem solved.
You don't make any sense.
Then don't talk to me.
You should read some of the thread because you clearly don't understand what people are complaining about.
I read it and I do understand it. I think I make sense enough if you still want to talk to me.
Your post claimed that if he wanted smaller maps he should play arena, his earlier post said that sprint creates large empty areas on maps, this exists equally in all gamemodes. You replied with a solution that had nothing do do with the problem, showing that you don't understand the problem.
This is from an hour ago. If you wanted start again I would have came earlier.
Sorry some people don't sit on waypoint all day, I don't think anyone else has a problem with getting a reply from an hour ago, it's not a long time when others take days, some people are still quoting op from months ago.
I wonder what OP does on waypoint now. From all the hate people have given him, I would have quit.
He replies every so often, but for the most part I think he abandoned this thread.
its like starting a Massive party but the part aint good, so you kinda run away lol
Keep sprint it allows up to get to cover quickly so we dont die
JBODST75 wrote:
it gonna take a whole lot more than just that buddy, halo used to be a classic and this company 343 ruined it so bad.
Yup they did....
But its still fun to debate over it
Its more interesting, for me, to read everyone opinions and arguments. Its truly fascinating
I wanna good laugh so im gonna do a parody on one of the dumbest arguments on this thread, please dont take offence.

HEY GUYS 343 HERE!!!
Today we are showing you halo 7: locke's revenge
And its BETTER THAN EVER!!!!!
We got loads of new abbilities, we received feedback and we are making it EVEN MORE immersive.
You can BACKFLIP. Just press the right trigger to back flip.
You can LIE DOWN. Press down on the D pad to lie down.
You can EAT. Apparantly, in the lore spartans could eat because they are human!!
You can now SPRINT at mach 10! Due to player feedback we decided to do the opposite and make you sprint even faster!!!
You can now take a seat. Because in the LORE spartans are humana so they can sit down!!
You can now CRY!! Because in the LORE spartans are humans and so they can CRY!!
We decided to make a classic playlist. Yes! Where we go back to HALO 5's gameplay.
Pre order to get FREE CEREAL!!!!! FOR YOUR SPARTAN TO EAT!!@
Rated E for Everyone.
Hopefully no one got triggered.
Keep sprint it allows up to get to cover quickly so we dont die
Read my post which has a lot of bullet points. Its on the same page where your post was written
Alright it appears nobody read my long post so im just gonna bullet point everything, but first let me begin. Halo shouldnt have sprint starts here is why
  • Sprint helps the player TOO much, halo in the past was meant to be barebones. And get good with what u got.
  • Sprint is like a power weapon, as said above it helps the player too much and also doesn't take skill to use. Just a push of a button and you're perfecting it.
  • Sprint changes the game play too much. Again, just as I said earlier, sprint is like a power weapon. Its like playing slayer BRs and then playing snipers. People play differently.
  • We never needed sprint in the past. I only really play halo 2 on the PC now, and I never needed to sprint, I was going at a quick pace and had my gun up all the time.
  • In the past halos you were pretty much running with your gun up. Trust me go in theatre mode and tell me those arent running legs.
  • Its quite gimmicky, putting your gun and going faster isnt really revolutionary.
  • It would be more acceptable if it was a power up. It is quite powerful and would be a power up people would like.
And that's all I can remember
And im not nostalgia blinded. I just have a different opinion to you.
I dont own halo 5 or an xbox, but I still played the game, long enough to recognise its pros and cons.
It's sad that good posts get ignored...We've had some decent discussions on Map design and sprint that just get lost in the rabble.

I think it'd be awesome if we can get 4 articulate "Pro-sprint"ers and 4 articulate "No-Sprint"ers to have a proper debate.
Alright it appears nobody read my long post so im just gonna bullet point everything, but first let me begin. Halo shouldnt have sprint starts here is why
  • Sprint helps the player TOO much, halo in the past was meant to be barebones. And get good with what u got.
  • Sprint is like a power weapon, as said above it helps the player too much and also doesn't take skill to use. Just a push of a button and you're perfecting it.
  • Sprint changes the game play too much. Again, just as I said earlier, sprint is like a power weapon. Its like playing slayer BRs and then playing snipers. People play differently.
  • We never needed sprint in the past. I only really play halo 2 on the PC now, and I never needed to sprint, I was going at a quick pace and had my gun up all the time.
  • In the past halos you were pretty much running with your gun up. Trust me go in theatre mode and tell me those arent running legs.
  • Its quite gimmicky, putting your gun and going faster isnt really revolutionary.
  • It would be more acceptable if it was a power up. It is quite powerful and would be a power up people would like.
And that's all I can remember
And im not nostalgia blinded. I just have a different opinion to you.
I dont own halo 5 or an xbox, but I still played the game, long enough to recognise its pros and cons.
It's sad that good posts get ignored...We've had some decent discussions on Map design and sprint that just get lost in the rabble.

I think it'd be awesome if we can get 4 articulate "Pro-sprint"ers and 4 articulate "No-Sprint"ers to have a proper debate.
Forum engineer pls
There should be sprint in Halo 6 because it makes the game flow but they should get rid of spartan ability.
I think that sprint has ruined Halo's flow.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 369
  4. 370
  5. 371
  6. 372
  7. 373
  8. ...
  9. 838