Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 372
  4. 373
  5. 374
  6. 375
  7. 376
  8. ...
  9. 829
sprint and all the new maneuvers have given halo a completely new feel which makes it much harder in some cases to kill. I prefer it this way now (at the beginning I thought it was a horrible idea) but we should keep all of this.
Making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up the gameplay.
I never said it speeds up the gameplay... but in fact it does, unless its a carefully played game. head to head battle for instance now is harder, dashing, sprinting, sliding jumping clambering, make it harder. which I like. theres nothing wrong with that.
sprint and all the new maneuvers have given halo a completely new feel which makes it much harder in some cases to kill. I prefer it this way now (at the beginning I thought it was a horrible idea) but we should keep all of this.
Making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up the gameplay.
I never said it speeds up the gameplay... but in fact it does, unless its a carefully played game. head to head battle for instance now is harder, dashing, sprinting, sliding jumping clambering, make it harder. which I like. theres nothing wrong with that.
Excuse me?

You say it increases the likelyhood of surviving and encounter, it's harder to fight due to the sheer number of different mechanics presented.
Yet sprint, a boost in forward momentum, increases the speed of the gameplay? A feature not used in combat, outside of Spartan Charge.

I'd say only a small amount of gameplay happens outside combat, and a large part of that small amount is sprinting. When you're experiencing the rest of the gameplay, combat, you're usually not sprinting.
Asavage853 wrote:
Alright it appears nobody read my long post so im just gonna bullet point everything, but first let me begin. Halo shouldnt have sprint starts here is why
  • Sprint helps the player TOO much, halo in the past was meant to be barebones. And get good with what u got.
  • Sprint is like a power weapon, as said above it helps the player too much and also doesn't take skill to use. Just a push of a button and you're perfecting it.
  • Sprint changes the game play too much. Again, just as I said earlier, sprint is like a power weapon. Its like playing slayer BRs and then playing snipers. People play differently.
  • We never needed sprint in the past. I only really play halo 2 on the PC now, and I never needed to sprint, I was going at a quick pace and had my gun up all the time.
  • In the past halos you were pretty much running with your gun up. Trust me go in theatre mode and tell me those arent running legs.
  • Its quite gimmicky, putting your gun and going faster isnt really revolutionary.
  • It would be more acceptable if it was a power up. It is quite powerful and would be a power up people would like.
And that's all I can remember
And im not nostalgia blinded. I just have a different opinion to you.
I dont own halo 5 or an xbox, but I still played the game, long enough to recognise its pros and cons.
It's sad that good posts get ignored...We've had some decent discussions on Map design and sprint that just get lost in the rabble.

I think it'd be awesome if we can get 4 articulate "Pro-sprint"ers and 4 articulate "No-Sprint"ers to have a proper debate.
Sprint helps the player to much? Not really it punishes them if used incorrectly. Fits in to the risk reward category nicely. Most of the time your just going to die unless you use it correctly so their is a skill to it. People complain that it allows players to escape when they shouldn't well if you cant complete the kill thats on you. As for stretching the maps to accommodate sprint i really couldnt care less and is a weak argument. In higher level play you rarely see sprint but its still an option. It provides immersion depth and tactics. I used to be anti sprint but with the way its implemented in halo 5 its Actually pretty genius and a good comprise. Its not like people are just spamming sprint unchecked.

In past halos you were pretty much running. Thats besides the point. Sprint is about providing a boost in speed reguardless of how fast the base speed is. It helps detur campers and you have to be more aware plus it flows seamlessly with clamber and thrust. I find the opposite of sprint is the way to go depending on the team your playing against. Sometimes stealthy is the way to go but if a team is playing slow and campy playing a faster game is the way to go. theirs just so much more depth imo. Sometimes you have to make adjustments. Classic halo just feels very one dimensional and boring with predictable traffic. A lot of people act as if adding sprint to halo changed it from an fps to a turn based strategy game. As long as halo has shields, fair starts, weapon spawn, and the golden Triangle its still halo. People just arent willing to change their play style.
And yet you still aren't punished as much for your mistakes, in general. Knowing when to and not to sprint doesn't take as much skill as knowing the map layout and predicting your opponents movements. Shouldn't it be more like, your death from poor positioning is on you? Hold up, how is the fact that sprint has changed Halo's map design, not to mention its fundamental gameplay, a weak argument? I'll give you the bit about 343i doing an okay job with balancing sprint, but the jumps just aren't there anymore--unless you're sprinting.

Sprint doesn't deter campers, good map design does. Aren't CoD campers so prevalent that they're a meme? In classic Halo, if somebody was camping, then you outflanked them--like hopping up the back of sniper tower on Lockout and assassinating your opponent. By your logic, chess feels very one dimensional and boring with predictable traffic. The thing is, despite the simplistic rules of chess, the game can still be played in many, many different ways. Classic Halo's gameplay was unique, it involved real thought and careful decisions, not mindlessly running for cover with your teammates. IMO, sprint and Spartan Abilities make Halo 5's gameplay more shallow by providing easy solutions to poorly thought-out strategies.
sprint and all the new maneuvers have given halo a completely new feel which makes it much harder in some cases to kill. I prefer it this way now (at the beginning I thought it was a horrible idea) but we should keep all of this.
Making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up the gameplay.
I never said it speeds up the gameplay... but in fact it does, unless its a carefully played game. head to head battle for instance now is harder, dashing, sprinting, sliding jumping clambering, make it harder. which I like. theres nothing wrong with that.
Again, making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up gameplay, which is what all of the pro-sprinters seem to be complaining about: "it's too slow!"

Catering mostly to a casual audience hasn't made the game any harder.
Naqser wrote:
sprint and all the new maneuvers have given halo a completely new feel which makes it much harder in some cases to kill. I prefer it this way now (at the beginning I thought it was a horrible idea) but we should keep all of this.
Making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up the gameplay.
I never said it speeds up the gameplay... but in fact it does, unless its a carefully played game. head to head battle for instance now is harder, dashing, sprinting, sliding jumping clambering, make it harder. which I like. theres nothing wrong with that.
Excuse me?

You say it increases the likelyhood of surviving and encounter, it's harder to fight due to the sheer number of different mechanics presented.
Yet sprint, a boost in forward momentum, increases the speed of the gameplay? A feature not used in combat, outside of Spartan Charge.

I'd say only a small amount of gameplay happens outside combat, and a large part of that small amount is sprinting. When you're experiencing the rest of the gameplay, combat, you're usually not sprinting.
listen... it is harder for BOTH PEOPLE TO KILL. just leave it at that, if you don't like sprinting/everything else, then go to another game. I've been playing halo since halo 1 came out and played on XBC, if you know what that is. games evolve, let them. if you don't like it, don't play them anymore. i'm not trying to start a percentage battle of combat and outside combat experiences to the square root to the 4th power... just leave it alone.
I love sprint with out it you would have to take out Spartan charge and slide those are two of my most used abilities and sprint also helps me cover lots of ground in warzone I think sprint should stay.
Asavage853 wrote:
Alright it appears nobody read my long post so im just gonna bullet point everything, but first let me begin. Halo shouldnt have sprint starts here is why
  • Sprint helps the player TOO much, halo in the past was meant to be barebones. And get good with what u got.
  • Sprint is like a power weapon, as said above it helps the player too much and also doesn't take skill to use. Just a push of a button and you're perfecting it.
  • Sprint changes the game play too much. Again, just as I said earlier, sprint is like a power weapon. Its like playing slayer BRs and then playing snipers. People play differently.
  • We never needed sprint in the past. I only really play halo 2 on the PC now, and I never needed to sprint, I was going at a quick pace and had my gun up all the time.
  • In the past halos you were pretty much running with your gun up. Trust me go in theatre mode and tell me those arent running legs.
  • Its quite gimmicky, putting your gun and going faster isnt really revolutionary.
  • It would be more acceptable if it was a power up. It is quite powerful and would be a power up people would like.
And that's all I can remember
And im not nostalgia blinded. I just have a different opinion to you.
I dont own halo 5 or an xbox, but I still played the game, long enough to recognise its pros and cons.
It's sad that good posts get ignored...We've had some decent discussions on Map design and sprint that just get lost in the rabble.

I think it'd be awesome if we can get 4 articulate "Pro-sprint"ers and 4 articulate "No-Sprint"ers to have a proper debate.
Sprint helps the player to much? Not really it punishes them if used incorrectly. Fits in to the risk reward category nicely. Most of the time your just going to die unless you use it correctly so their is a skill to it. People complain that it allows players to escape when they shouldn't well if you cant complete the kill thats on you. As for stretching the maps to accommodate sprint i really couldnt care less and is a weak argument. In higher level play you rarely see sprint but its still an option. It provides immersion depth and tactics. I used to be anti sprint but with the way its implemented in halo 5 its Actually pretty genius and a good comprise. Its not like people are just spamming sprint unchecked.

In past halos you were pretty much running. Thats besides the point. Sprint is about providing a boost in speed reguardless of how fast the base speed is. It helps detur campers and you have to be more aware plus it flows seamlessly with clamber and thrust. I find the opposite of sprint is the way to go depending on the team your playing against. Sometimes stealthy is the way to go but if a team is playing slow and campy playing a faster game is the way to go. theirs just so much more depth imo. Sometimes you have to make adjustments. Classic halo just feels very one dimensional and boring with predictable traffic. A lot of people act as if adding sprint to halo changed it from an fps to a turn based strategy game. As long as halo has shields, fair starts, weapon spawn, and the golden Triangle its still halo. People just arent willing to change their play style.
You start off with the risk/reward- argument, but you forget that base movement speed also has a risk/reward element. "Most of the time your just going to die unless you use it correctly so their is a skill to it." You must understand that this wasn't something sprint added to the game. It was true for base movement speed as well.

"People complain that it allows players to escape when they shouldn't well if you cant complete the kill thats on you." The problem is that you can't chase anyone that's running with your gun up. So in CQC if someone get's behind a corner, there isn't a lot you can do about it.

"As for stretching the maps to accommodate sprint i really couldnt care less and is a weak argument. In higher level play you rarely see sprint but its still an option. It provides immersion depth and tactics. I used to be anti sprint but with the way its implemented in halo 5 its Actually pretty genius and a good comprise. Its not like people are just spamming sprint unchecked." The problem with the stretched maps is that they are designed around sprint but not around combat. That's why they feel so weird. You see sprint a lot in higher level of play. Find one player on the circuit that doesn't use sprint. Find one match were sprint isn't used. You claim that it provides immersion, depth and tactics. It does provide depth, but not really immersion or tactics.

You don't understand what sprint is. It doesn't allow you to go faster in this game because maps are bigger. It only makes you go the same speed as before, but this time you don't have your gun out. See how limiting it is? It makes corner camping worse.

"As long as halo has shields, fair starts, weapon spawn, and the golden Triangle its still halo. People just arent willing to change their play style." The thing that is unique with halo is that it's half arena, half squad. On the other hand you got recharging health, grenades, two weapon rule, reloading and team based gameplay. On the other you got weapons on map, no bloom, no classes and no sprint. It was so cool to have this weird hybrid game.
Naqser wrote:
sprint and all the new maneuvers have given halo a completely new feel which makes it much harder in some cases to kill. I prefer it this way now (at the beginning I thought it was a horrible idea) but we should keep all of this.
Making it harder to achieve kills doesn't speed up the gameplay.
I never said it speeds up the gameplay... but in fact it does, unless its a carefully played game. head to head battle for instance now is harder, dashing, sprinting, sliding jumping clambering, make it harder. which I like. theres nothing wrong with that.
Excuse me?

You say it increases the likelyhood of surviving and encounter, it's harder to fight due to the sheer number of different mechanics presented.
Yet sprint, a boost in forward momentum, increases the speed of the gameplay? A feature not used in combat, outside of Spartan Charge.

I'd say only a small amount of gameplay happens outside combat, and a large part of that small amount is sprinting. When you're experiencing the rest of the gameplay, combat, you're usually not sprinting.
listen... it is harder for BOTH PEOPLE TO KILL. just leave it at that, if you don't like sprinting/everything else, then go to another game. I've been playing halo since halo 1 came out and played on XBC, if you know what that is. games evolve, let them. if you don't like it, don't play them anymore. i'm not trying to start a percentage battle of combat and outside combat experiences to the square root to the 4th power... just leave it alone.
Please tell me that you're just trolling. Halo's core gameplay didn't need to evolve. What happened to equipment? Like, wut? We can't just stop being passionate about a game that we love. Why couldn't 343i have made a spin-off with this style of gameplay? Or added a classic Halo playlist? Posts like this are just so ridiculous.
APEX1928 wrote:
I love sprint with out it you would have to take out Spartan charge and slide those are two of my most used abilities and sprint also helps me cover lots of ground in warzone I think sprint should stay.
Spartan Charge is unbalanced. In classic Halo, we used to do slide-jumps to get around.

I'd actually be fine with Spartan Abilities being in Warzone playlists only. They have destroyed the flow of Arena.
in matchmaking i find that sprinting is sometimes a disadvantage. you have to pick and choose when you use it or else your not gonna have a fun time. having your gun at the ready always has its rewards versus running into an area and getting shot while you have to ready your gun. all im saying is it adds a diverse play style that has its advantages and disadvantages . im just glad they fixed it from halo 4's copy and paste sprint from Call of Duty. halo made it there own.
in matchmaking i find that sprinting is sometimes a disadvantage. you have to pick and choose when you use it or else your not gonna have a fun time. having your gun at the ready always has its rewards versus running into an area and getting shot while you have to ready your gun. all im saying is it adds a diverse play style that has its advantages and disadvantages . im just glad they fixed it from halo 4's copy and paste sprint from Call of Duty. halo made it there own.
The point is Halo was more of its own without sprint to begin with
in matchmaking i find that sprinting is sometimes a disadvantage. you have to pick and choose when you use it or else your not gonna have a fun time.
This was true for base movement as well.
having your gun at the ready always has its rewards versus running into an area and getting shot while you have to ready your gun.
This was also true for base movement. It's just that having to ready your gun was reacting and aiming. Now it's just an animation.
all im saying is it adds a diverse play style that has its advantages and disadvantages . im just glad they fixed it from halo 4's copy and paste sprint from Call of Duty. halo made it there own.
I don't think it adds a diverse play style that has its advantages and disadvantages.
APEX1928 wrote:
I love sprint with out it you would have to take out Spartan charge and slide those are two of my most used abilities and sprint also helps me cover lots of ground in warzone I think sprint should stay.
Spartan charge is a terrible mechanic.

You wouldn't have to remove slide.
ZuuluuZ wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
They made the Warzone maps stretched out so you would have to use sprint. Not having sprint would basically make Warzone a broken gamemode since the maps were built for it. You nostalgic Halo fans need to suck it up.
...

They could just not stretch the maps. Then you know, they wouldn't be plagued by people sitting a mile away with rifles and snipers picking you off as you try to cross the mile of no man's land between every part of the map.
If you want smaller maps play Arena. Problem solved.
But arena has sprint...
So take it out, no bad maps, skillful gameplay, everybody wins!
You don't HAVE to sprint. Just because you don't want sprint doesn't mean everybody else doesn't want it.
I know I don't have to sprint. I don't want my enemies sprinting, because it effects me. Oh, and the vocal majority doesn't want sprint.
Vocal majority? You mean the majority of those voicing an opinion?

I don't think that means much at all, unless you can show that this opinion is actually representative of the whole.
Neither side can show what the major "likes" and either way it doesn't matter.

"If I would have asked people what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse"".
-Henry Ford
yeah, people are dumb. Which is why this is such a funny conversation.

I get the distinct feeling a lot of hardcore halo fans are looking to explain why the franchise they so love isnt as popular as before. The answer is undoubtedly more complicated than Sprint or Golden Triangle, but those are the easiest to point to.
ZuuluuZ wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
Me Bot Bot wrote:
then no one would be able to spartan charge or slide
Sliding might be harder to accomplish in an intuitive fashion, but charging could be accomplished by thrusting followed by an immediate melee attack. Slide could be done similarly, duck right after a thrust, but I think that might feel weird... at least it would to me.
The terminal velocity mechanic that is already in place could easily be transfered over to a BMS system.
yeah it could. That was how sprinting worked in Prejudice: Section 8. Sprint kicked in after a few seconds of full base speed in a straight line.
No matter if you like sprint or not, it is a modern gaming mechanic, and many players refuse to play a game without it. Even if 343i wanted to remove sprint, they wouldn't, cause it would drive away new players. Really, sprint can be done well and balanced like in H5, and works well with the spartan abilities. (but lets all agree that spartan charging sucks and would be better off out of the game.) Removing sprint may make halo great again for the small minority of old fans who dislike sprint, but the large majority of new and old players either prefer sprint or don't really care. 343i can't babysit all the old halo players, and why would they bother, when half of them hate halo no matter what 343i does. so i guess my answer is no.
There is no evidence that a Halo game will sale less if it didn't have sprint, or that the group of people that dislike sprint are the "small minority" and the people that like sprint are the "large majority". Also if the "old halo players" hate Halo no matter what 343 does, then why would they spend their time on a Halo forum talking about how they would improve the game?
Try telling that to mircosoft. My point is is that sprint is not going.
JSYSJ wrote:
Does anyone know why 343 is persisting to keep sprint?
http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-300

Scroll down to the post by Sal1ent(josh Holmes) it states why 343 put sprint in the game. A fair amount of the post is just fluff but the gist of it is that people expect to sprint in FPS and sprint is good for immersion and feeling like a spartan. He overlooks the negative aspects of sprint predictably.
Basically 343 is justifying sprint from realism and lore perspective... While Halo is not realistic game, why they are caring about the realism in this game?
pajama dad wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
pajama dad wrote:
ZuuluuZ wrote:
They made the Warzone maps stretched out so you would have to use sprint. Not having sprint would basically make Warzone a broken gamemode since the maps were built for it. You nostalgic Halo fans need to suck it up.
...

They could just not stretch the maps. Then you know, they wouldn't be plagued by people sitting a mile away with rifles and snipers picking you off as you try to cross the mile of no man's land between every part of the map.
If you want smaller maps play Arena. Problem solved.
But arena has sprint...
So take it out, no bad maps, skillful gameplay, everybody wins!
You don't HAVE to sprint. Just because you don't want sprint doesn't mean everybody else doesn't want it.
I know I don't have to sprint. I don't want my enemies sprinting, because it effects me. Oh, and the vocal majority doesn't want sprint.
Vocal majority? You mean the majority of those voicing an opinion?

I don't think that means much at all, unless you can show that this opinion is actually representative of the whole.
Neither side can show what the major "likes" and either way it doesn't matter.

"If I would have asked people what they wanted, they would have said "a faster horse"".
-Henry Ford
yeah, people are dumb. Which is why this is such a funny conversation.

I get the distinct feeling a lot of hardcore halo fans are looking to explain why the franchise they so love isnt as popular as before. The answer is undoubtedly more complicated than Sprint or Golden Triangle, but those are the easiest to point to.
Poor map design, yo. That is the single most glaring problem with Halo: Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5.
Sierra3141 wrote:
they should just make a game playlist where the base speed and have no sprint
Ding ding ding! Easiest way to cater to both side.

And 343i hasn't done this because of--reasons?
No I meant to see if it should be changed upcoming games I want to see how the gameplay is with higher base speed and no sprint(Doom style)
Sierra3141 wrote:
Sierra3141 wrote:
they should just make a game playlist where the base speed and have no sprint
Ding ding ding! Easiest way to cater to both side.

And 343i hasn't done this because of--reasons?
No I meant to see if it should be changed upcoming games I want to see how the gameplay is with higher base speed and no sprint(Doom style)
Oh, okay, that would be different I suppose.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 372
  4. 373
  5. 374
  6. 375
  7. 376
  8. ...
  9. 829