2. ...
  3. 397
  4. 398
  5. 399
  6. 400
  7. 401
  8. ...
  9. 829
There should be more variety for both groups, those who like sprint and those who don't. I hate to use COD as an example, but when advanced warfare came out with all its new "enhanced" abilities and modified gameplay, they still kept a playlist for the people who liked the classic COD feel without these mechanics. I feel Halo should do something similar. Stop moving forward without looking back, 343 should be able to satisfy both groups in one game.
Moltened wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
I say OP makes this a poll. I'd like to see the percentages of people that prefer sprint compared to those who don't.
Here are some polls pertaining to sprint
now of course you will probably say that these polls don't mean anything because I'm assuming they are going to be contrary to what you believe, but here they are

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

and finally just for the sake of showing unbiased here is a poll from
Waypoint You will see that the first two polls show a wide margin of people in favour of having sprint removed compared to staying and in the waypoint poll it's actually pretty close but still
slightly in favour for sprint

PS. Polls don't mean anything
Quite to the contrary; I think sprint should be removed. I am also irrated at the fact that non halo fans are dictating halo's mechanics. It just goes to show mismanagement of the franchise when you are trying to appeal to a new audience despite it hurting and destroying the fan base they currently have. And you're right polls mean nothing. It's hilarious that the polls are so definitive yet 343/Microsoft refuse to adjust the gameplay mechanics to how the fans want them. Polls are meaningless when developers/publishers hold a franchise hostage.
Then I honestly apologise for making the assumption

i I love how despite those two polls I referenced Quinn del Hoya states that 77% of players polled wanted sprint to remain in the "offical poll" 343 conducted
For referenceThis is is what's known as selection bias , especially considering there are other polls in other communities which swing as much as 95% in favour of removing sprint

I also enjoyed how during the development of H4 they said that they (343) intentionally hired people who "didn't like halo"
Using polls as a way to design a game is a horrendous strategy.

Let's say im making a building and I invite 1000 people in to give me their opinions on the building. 900 of these people say it's amazing. They love it. It looks really cool and fancy. The other 100 say(who just happen to be engineers by trade) tell you that it is structurally flawed, unstable and dangerous. Should I ignore those 100 people because they are in a 90-10% minority? Obviously not.
Agreed, using polls is a flawed method to prove any point
selection bias is found in any poll really
it was bone headed of me to use in honesty
tsassi wrote:
i I love how despite those two polls I referenced Quinn del Hoya states that 77% of players polled wanted sprint to remain in the "offical poll" 343 conducted
For referenceThis is is what's known as selection bias , especially considering there are other polls in other communities which swing as much as 95% in favour of removing sprint
Consider that the possibility of selection bias applies equally well to the polls you brought up. I've discussed in more depth before why these "other polls" offer a poor survey of what the community at large thinks of sprint. Instead of trying to spin it one way or the other way, we should all admit that we just don't know.
True, but using a closed poll that many people even regularly on the forum didn't know about as support for your side is pretty bad support.
I wasn't saying anything about that because I don't have all the information. I've always been kind of confused with this "many people didn't know about" thing. The feedback program did manage to gather over 10,000 participants. And even though I haven't really followed Halo news for a long time aside from what I see on the forums, the feedback program crossed my radar. Although I didn't care because I'm not American, and was therefore ineligible. Then again, maybe I just spend a disproportionate amount of time on the forums compared to the average person. Anyway, I've never really been sure about the number of people who didn't know but should've known. That is, whether it was genuinely a problem or just a small (relative to the number of participants) group of people who didn't pay attention making noise.

But as I said, my information is limited because I was one of those people not paying attention. I don't know how people were supposed to find out about this feedback program, I don't know where the participants came from, and as a result, I can't form an opinion on how representative the whole thing was.
Moltened wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
I say OP makes this a poll. I'd like to see the percentages of people that prefer sprint compared to those who don't.
now of course you will probably say that these polls don't mean anything because I'm assuming they are going to be contrary to what you believe, but here they are

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

Waypoint You will see that the first two polls show a wide margin of people in favour of having sprint removed compared to staying and in the waypoint poll it's actually pretty close but still

Quite to the contrary; I think sprint should be removed. I am also irrated at the fact that non halo fans are dictating halo's mechanics. It just goes to show mismanagement of the franchise when you are trying to appeal to a new audience despite it hurting and destroying the fan base they currently have. And you're right polls mean nothing. It's hilarious that the polls are so definitive yet 343/Microsoft refuse to adjust the gameplay mechanics to how the fans want them. Polls are meaningless when developers/publishers hold a franchise hostage.

I also enjoyed how during the development of H4 they said that they (343) intentionally hired people who "didn't like halo"

Let's say im making a building and I invite 1000 people in to give me their opinions on the building. 900 of these people say it's amazing. They love it. It looks really cool and fancy. The other 100 say(who just happen to be engineers by trade) tell you that it is structurally flawed, unstable and dangerous. Should I ignore those 100 people because they are in a 90-10% minority? Obviously not.
That's actually a pretty poor analogy.

To relate that back to what we are talking about it would have to be applied like this:

I add a new feature (sprint) to a video gamee and ask for 1000 people's opinions. 900 people love the new feature. 100 people do not, those 100 people are game designers.

That's essentially what you said with the 100 people who were engineers and know about building construction.

All 1000 of us (i'm sure there are a few exceptions), are just fans playing the game, not game developers. It seems like 900 people like sprint (and are likely younger/new generation players) & 100 people don't like sprint (which are likely older generation, don't change the winning formula players.)
JIMLUKE104 wrote:
Moltened wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

To relate that back to what we are talking about it would have to be applied like this:

I add a new feature (sprint) to a video gamee and ask for 1000 people's opinions. 900 people love the new feature. 100 people do not, those 100 people are game designers.

That's essentially what you said with the 100 people who were engineers and know about building construction.

All 1000 of us (i'm sure there are a few exceptions), are just fans playing the game, not game developers. It seems like 900 people like sprint (and are likely younger/new generation players) & 100 people don't like sprint (which are likely older generation, don't change the winning formula players.)
Ok. Let's change that from engineers by trade to "people who seem to atleast want to talk about the structural integrity of the building instead of just talking about how cool the paint colour is". Better?

The problem with this sprint debate is that one side is looking deeper at the mechanic while the other is only looking at the very most surface layer. If someone can actually explain to 343 how sprint affects each area of the game and why those effects are good, than that's awesome. However 10,000 people saying "I like sprint because it looks cool" doesn't mean anything. These types of people clearly have no idea how sprint affects the other aspects of the game. Due to this sprint could actually be a huge detrimental game mechanic to those same people. They just don't see it.

The reason sprint debates look like "veterans/good players vs new/bad players" is simply because those vets/good players are the players who understand the game. They see how every aspect of the game's design affects the other aspects. That knowledge is generally what makes good players good. This knowledge also reveals the flaws of sprint. Newer players don't see these flaws because all they see is the surface layer of sprint. What it literally is as a mechanic. They don't see the subtle influences it has on other mechanics. This is why if you look through this thread you'll see a lot of posts along the lines of "what's the problem you just press a button and go fast. Don't like it, don't press the button".

This post has been hidden.

Moltened wrote:
JIMLUKE104 wrote:
Moltened wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

Ok. Let's change that from engineers by trade to "people who seem to atleast want to talk about the structural integrity of the building instead of just talking about how cool the paint colour is". Better?

The problem with this sprint debate is that one side is looking deeper at the mechanic while the other is only looking at the very most surface layer. If someone can actually explain to 343 how sprint affects each area of the game and why those effects are good, than that's awesome. However 10,000 people saying "I like sprint because it looks cool" doesn't mean anything. These types of people clearly have no idea how sprint affects the other aspects of the game. Due to this sprint could actually be a huge detrimental game mechanic to those same people. They just don't see it.

The reason sprint debates look like "veterans/good players vs new/bad players" is simply because those vets/good players are the players who understand the game. They see how every aspect of the game's design affects the other aspects. That knowledge is generally what makes good players good. This knowledge also reveals the flaws of sprint. Newer players don't see these flaws because all they see is the surface layer of sprint. What it literally is as a mechanic. They don't see the subtle influences it has on other mechanics. This is why if you look through this thread you'll see a lot of posts along the lines of "what's the problem you just press a button and go fast. Don't like it, don't press the button".
I still have yet to see a competent argument for pro sprint, and many of the non competent arguments change sides after having evreything explained to them. If 343 put an evolved settings btb/arena playlist in for a week I bet it would be the most populated playlist as long as it's in the game.
Unknown wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

They hired people who don't like Halo... wha...why?
Because 343.

Unknown wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

Because 343.
I'm so f*cking done! It's like they want to fail.
This is the direct quote from the interview Frank O'Connor gave pertaining to this topic

"people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

If that doesn't scream I didn't like OG halo because of these reasons so we are going to change those reasons to make the game more like this instead

I don't know what does
Unknown wrote:
Conspiracy time. Do Microsoft/343 want Halo to die? I can't see any other reason sometimes for their decision making process.
It's not that they want halo to die, they (and I do believe this pertains to Microsoft as well) want to distance themselves as much as possible from Bungie and the version of halo Bungie created
at least this is my opinion, why else would they make the changes they have?
And I'm not taking huge changes like Spartan charge or kill streaks I'm talking snall subtle changes like grenade indicators hit markers map design character development art design ect etc etc

I honestly think what we are seeing is that most people
old fans and new alike are simply rejecting 343s vision of halo for a multitude of reasons
they keep telling us how H5 is "the best selling halo of all time", well that means zero if there's only approx 26,000 people still playing this game at any given time less than a year later
5 million people bought the game* (* if you believe 343) and it doesn't peak over 26,000 players at any given time so where did the 4.5 million other people go?
worst part is they still claim it's got the best player retention rate since H2

What i would honesty like to see is unbiased third party data derailing unique users per month and the time in which each unique user played halo 5 for per month
Maybe then we could have some real data to crunch and talk about
Unknown wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:
Eggnaug wrote:

Reditt poll
Beyond.net

Because 343.
I'm so f*cking done! It's like they want to fail.
This is the direct quote from the interview Frank O'Connor gave pertaining to this topic

"people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

If that doesn't scream I didn't like OG halo because of these reasons so we are going to change those reasons to make the game more like this instead

I don't know what does
Here we are four years on and they're still trying to "prove" sprint would make Halo "awesome", because apparently Halo wasn't "awesome" before 343 was formed.
Unknown wrote:
Conspiracy time. Do Microsoft/343 want Halo to die? I can't see any other reason sometimes for their decision making process.
It's not that they want halo to die, they (and I do believe this pertains to Microsoft as well) want to distance themselves as much as possible from Bungie and the version of halo Bungie created
And I'm not taking huge changes like Spartan charge or kill streaks I'm talking snall subtle changes like grenade indicators hit markers map design character development art design ect etc etc

old fans and new alike are simply rejecting 343s vision of halo for a multitude of reasons
they keep telling us how H5 is "the best selling halo of all time", well that means zero if there's only approx 26,000 people still playing this game at any given time less than a year later
5 million people bought the game* (* if you believe 343) and it doesn't peak over 26,000 players at any given time so where did the 4.5 million other people go?

What i would honesty like to see is unbiased third party data derailing unique users per month and the time in which each unique user played halo 5 for per month
Do we really need real data at this point? The things 343/MS has said - or specifically not said - about Halo 5's players and sales should tell us it's nothing particularly good.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Unknown wrote:

Do we really need real data at this point? The things 343/MS has said - or specifically not said - about Halo 5's players and sales should tell us it's nothing particularly good.
What about Microsoft saying halo could go for another 30 years? I agree halo is more than likely going to keep going down untill serious changes are made, but I honestly don't think Microsoft believes halo is in a bind, that or they're oblivious to it, or it could just be them trying to do pr and say halos doing fine to try and "calm" those who are worried.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Unknown wrote:

What about Microsoft saying halo could go for another 30 years? I agree halo is more than likely going to keep going down untill serious changes are made, but I honestly don't think Microsoft believes halo is in a bind, that or they're oblivious to it, or it could just be them trying to do pr and say halos doing fine to try and "calm" those who are worried.
The 30 years claim is the same sort of PR talk as Halo 5 having "the biggest Halo launch in history" or whatever.

If it were as fine as they want people to think they wouldn't be making such -Yoink- implications like they did regarding the launch sales and the active monthly users from a couple months ago.
Justima wrote:
Why would you not want sprint?
Read the thread.

Why would you want an unnecessary game mechanic that slows down the gameplay because of how maps are designed to accommodate it?
Don't waster your time on the comments like that. There will be people continue to posting "Halo needs to evolve", "I like sprint", "Sprint makes you move faster", etc. Igonore those.
I actively strive to act intentionally. I understand that there are many who haven't contributed to the conversation in a meaningful way.
I pointed out a few points, you just tried to say I'm an idiot. just get off this post thread. do us all a favor
Justima wrote:
Why would you not want sprint?
Read the thread.

Why would you want an unnecessary game mechanic that slows down the gameplay because of how maps are designed to accommodate it?
Don't waster your time on the comments like that. There will be people continue to posting "Halo needs to evolve", "I like sprint", "Sprint makes you move faster", etc. Igonore those.
I actively strive to act intentionally. I understand that there are many who haven't contributed to the conversation in a meaningful way.
I pointed out a few points, you just tried to say I'm an idiot. just get off this post thread. do us all a favor
If I recall, the few points out of all your posts in this thread were contradictory to each other, touched how to play the game rather than touch how the mechanics work and a situational scenario.

The latter part of your post is also ironic, because you call others haters and lilwhitetrashflower.

So do you have anything of actual contribution, for example, explaining how choosing not to use sprint, or not to play altogether somehow is relevant to what some see as problems with sprint when they perhaps like other parts of the game and want to continue playing? Or are you the kind of person who abandons ship the instance you see something you dislike? I mean, there's a saying "takes on to know one".
At this point, the only way Halo will return to classic mechanics is if 343's contract with Microsoft ends and another developer that appreciates those mechanics of classic games picks it up.

Edit: which is in no way supportive of the current mechanics... just lost hope.
Halo 5 plays nothing like any call of duty game ever created.

This is argument is very detrimental to any kind of debate these threads can possibly bring up. It makes those opposed to certain mechanics appear uninformed and inexperienced in halo 5 gameplay.

I play halo 5 nightly. I played black ops 3 for a day. Didn't like it. And the games are very different. If cod played like halo 5 I would be playing a lot more cod.
Halo 5 isn't like CoD, but Halo 4 sure was. However, CoD is definitely one of the reasons why sprint is in Halo.
A little. The differences were still apparent... but the similarities were jarring the same way.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 397
  4. 398
  5. 399
  6. 400
  7. 401
  8. ...
  9. 829