Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 828
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Why Does anyone care for sprint being in or out? Honestly is matters not, keeping it does not change a thing about Halo, it's not like in a war you'd be 'mildly running' through an area to escape grenades, you'd be sprinting for your life, why should you care so much?
Why are Spartans, in enclosed areas when an enemy could always be around the corner (as is the situation with every Arena map), ever putting their gun down to sprint? It makes no sense and they could easily be killed because of it. I wanna feel like a Spartan and I can't feel like a Spartan if I can do stupid things like that. If it doesn't matter then the devs shouldn't be wasting time or resources on something that doesn't matter.
That is one of the stranger arguments for removing sprint i have yet to read.
What's strange about it? I wanna feel like a Spartan, but Spartans would never be so careless when put into situations like that.
sprint sucks, games like Overwatch show that an arena shooter does not need sprint (but movement options are nice)

I was thinking about why I loved Halo back in the day, and it's pretty simple...squad of spartans working together using vantage points, grenades, melee, and tactics
it had nothing to do with sprinting, charging, clambering, ADS, gimiick gimmick gimmick

just make an awesome shooter 343i, where the TTK is slower but the skill ceiling is higher and precision weapons dominate

I would be open to the idea of having a team of spartans that each have unique abilities, that cannot be customized
these posts are pointless sprint isn't going any where
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
No, sprint is still a problem, one that we've been dealing with for the better part of a decade. If you're truly curious as to why sprint is looked down on, I'll explain if you'd like. I won't argue, but if you ask questions I'll inform you of the answers.

Better yet, maybe visit the Team Beyond forums, because many of the more skilled players frequent there and know the franchise's gameplay inside and out and could probably explain it better than most people here. Though just the same as here, you're best of asking questions to become informed rather than arguing why one side is right or wrong because they're probably fed up with arguments like that. Many of them would likely be fine with answering the questions you have, possibly in great detail.
I've seen the arguments against it. I think they are weak and very subjective. There is a small group of players that they feel that their way of play is superior to all others. While not acknowledging that the gamer population as a whole do not think like them. I'm not talking Halo players, I'm talking every player that plays shooters period. If sprint were really disliked that much it would not be in COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Go to any gaming website and post that you want Battlefield to remove sprint as see what happens. Not having sprint is not what makes Halo, Halo. What separates Halo from most others is shots to get a kill due to shields and motion sensor(which is not more like other games , but that's another conversation). Halo compared to every other shooter takes a lot longer to get a kill and thus a wider skill gap. The only other game that comes close is Plants Vs Zombies garden Warfare with its TTKs. As we all know sprint was in Reach, It was in 4, now 5. It will be in 6. Count on it. But they cn still give you something to play as I have stated with a single gametype. But even a suggestion to ADD content people have issues with. how many games will they make with sprint before this dies? will it be H6, Will it be H7? H5 was designed with input for PRO players. They obviously wanted sprint otherwise it would not be in the game as seeing how this game caters to them. Go to other game sites and chat with people and see what they say about what separates COD from Halo. I have spent quite a bit of time on other sites discussing games. Nobody every EVER sites sprint being added as to why they don't play. They site, it takes too long to kill, they site the radar. they site the incredible lack of balance with weapons of prior games. NO I'm not speaking for every single gamer. My point is, neither is anybody else on here. If sprint were that big of deal H4 would not have sold the millions it has sold. H5 would not have sold the millions it has sold.
In COD/Battlefield etc etc you need sprint to get from cover to cover as the TTK is less than 1 second or so. Completely different games, Halo benefits by allowing you to shoot at all times while moving. Just another deicsion 343i made to move away from traditional proven formula of Halo and attempt to appease a new crowd.
Why the -yoink- do we have to keep having the same argument over and over again?
PS: I would keep sprint.
Sothat stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time...
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it. So it matters in a game-play what you choose to do.
I've been playin for 15+ years and I like the sprint.
Oh look. Someone acting like their opinion is fact. Why am I not surprised?

To your topic, sprint is already in the game and should remain. However it needs balanced some and there needs to be a classic playlist.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
No, sprint is still a problem, one that we've been dealing with for the better part of a decade. If you're truly curious as to why sprint is looked down on, I'll explain if you'd like. I won't argue, but if you ask questions I'll inform you of the answers.
Better yet, maybe visit the Team Beyond forums, because many of the more skilled players frequent there and know the franchise's gameplay inside and out and could probably explain it better than most people here. Though just the same as here, you're best of asking questions to become informed rather than arguing why one side is right or wrong because they're probably fed up with arguments like that. Many of them would likely be fine with answering the questions you have, possibly in great detail.
I've seen the arguments against it. I think they are weak and very subjective. There is a small group of players that they feel that their way of play is superior to all others. While not acknowledging that the gamer population as a whole do not think like them. I'm not talking Halo players, I'm talking every player that plays shooters period. If sprint were really disliked that much it would not be in COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Go to any gaming website and post that you want Battlefield to remove sprint as see what happens. Not having sprint is not what makes Halo, Halo. What separates Halo from most others is shots to get a kill due to shields and motion sensor(which is not more like other games , but that's another conversation). Halo compared to every other shooter takes a lot longer to get a kill and thus a wider skill gap. The only other game that comes close is Plants Vs Zombies garden Warfare with its TTKs. As we all know sprint was in Reach, It was in 4, now 5. It will be in 6. Count on it. But they cn still give you something to play as I have stated with a single gametype. But even a suggestion to ADD content people have issues with. how many games will they make with sprint before this dies? will it be H6, Will it be H7? H5 was designed with input for PRO players. They obviously wanted sprint otherwise it would not be in the game as seeing how this game caters to them. Go to other game sites and chat with people and see what they say about what separates COD from Halo. I have spent quite a bit of time on other sites discussing games. Nobody every EVER sites sprint being added as to why they don't play. They site, it takes too long to kill, they site the radar. they site the incredible lack of balance with weapons of prior games. NO I'm not speaking for every single gamer. My point is, neither is anybody else on here. If sprint were that big of deal H4 would not have sold the millions it has sold. H5 would not have sold the millions it has sold.
You say "small group of players", but I could point you to a ton of polls, both on this forum and others, that show anti-sprinters are the majority. The Halo audience is the one that matters. 343 tried making a game for everyone else (Halo 4) and it was god awful and only sold as much as it did because it was Halo and fans had never been slapped in the face like that before. Even still, it sold less than Halo 3 despite having a comparably MASSIVE install base. You don't make a game that appeals to everyone because it can't. When you have a fanbase, they come first and the rest come second. And considering Halo 5 is the worst selling game yet (since Halo 3 at least), your argument on sales doesn't really hold much water. You seem very out of touch with fans opinions and even the opinions of those who don't play Halo (since, they still don't polay Halo, despite having sprint).

Pro players don't have any significant input on the game. 343 tells them whats gonna be in the game and the pros are there to help balance everything. They're advisors at best and I'd be surprised if you could find many pro players that think Halo is better with sprint (again, Team Beyond could probably speak better to that).
Gandalfur wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
Yes it would make Halo like what it was before but I would rather keep it even if they got rid of it all of the fans would get mad they would say stuff like "Your a super souldier and you can't SPRINT!?! C'mon before I could did my legs break or somthing?!?"
People are convinced it's new coke vs coke classic when in comes to Halo.
The reality is Halo is like an 80's rock band that used to sell out arenas, but today it's only got it's core fans and plays in smaller venues.
The Mechanics don't matter, It just one group fighting against another over spilled milk, the cat's out of the bag, the fat lady sang, and That's all folks!
I don't understand why everyone complains about sprint. I've played every halo multiplayer to date, and halo 5 is by far the most balanced in my opinion, including sprint and Spartan charge. It gets a little annoying when people can boost and sprint away, but it adds tactics in, and makes working/communicating as a team even more important in my opinion.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
Thank you.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
It doesn't solve the problem because it IS STILL THERE. Take it away. Now.
Hav0k3 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
Thank you.
You do realize that we are not old guys afraid of change, sprint is not "evolution" and do u know what would happen if we stopped buying this game? Halo 5 hasn't had amazing sales bro. We stop buying the game = less games sold = less money in 343 and Microsoft's pockets. This is not nonsense. We never asked for change because Halo was FINE the way it was. Why change something that worked for so long???? Its like having your world famous recipe at a restaurant and everyone comes to have it. However, you change it even though there no complaints. Many people didn't like the new recipe and went away to other restaurants. See? This is what sprint did to Halo, and it must be removed.
Sprinting is not that big of a deal. I don't understand how it ruins the game. I loved all the old halo's and yes they were just fine without sprint in them. But this is an entirely new game and it is just fine with sprint it in! Lets move on. Sprint will forever be a part of Halo from now on. (Most likely)
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
No, sprint is still a problem, one that we've been dealing with for the better part of a decade. If you're truly curious as to why sprint is looked down on, I'll explain if you'd like. I won't argue, but if you ask questions I'll inform you of the answers.

Better yet, maybe visit the Team Beyond forums, because many of the more skilled players frequent there and know the franchise's gameplay inside and out and could probably explain it better than most people here. Though just the same as here, you're best of asking questions to become informed rather than arguing why one side is right or wrong because they're probably fed up with arguments like that. Many of them would likely be fine with answering the questions you have, possibly in great detail.
I've seen the arguments against it. I think they are weak and very subjective. There is a small group of players that they feel that their way of play is superior to all others. While not acknowledging that the gamer population as a whole do not think like them. I'm not talking Halo players, I'm talking every player that plays shooters period. If sprint were really disliked that much it would not be in COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Go to any gaming website and post that you want Battlefield to remove sprint as see what happens. Not having sprint is not what makes Halo, Halo. What separates Halo from most others is shots to get a kill due to shields and motion sensor(which is not more like other games , but that's another conversation). Halo compared to every other shooter takes a lot longer to get a kill and thus a wider skill gap. The only other game that comes close is Plants Vs Zombies garden Warfare with its TTKs. As we all know sprint was in Reach, It was in 4, now 5. It will be in 6. Count on it. But they cn still give you something to play as I have stated with a single gametype. But even a suggestion to ADD content people have issues with. how many games will they make with sprint before this dies? will it be H6, Will it be H7? H5 was designed with input for PRO players. They obviously wanted sprint otherwise it would not be in the game as seeing how this game caters to them. Go to other game sites and chat with people and see what they say about what separates COD from Halo. I have spent quite a bit of time on other sites discussing games. Nobody every EVER sites sprint being added as to why they don't play. They site, it takes too long to kill, they site the radar. they site the incredible lack of balance with weapons of prior games. NO I'm not speaking for every single gamer. My point is, neither is anybody else on here. If sprint were that big of deal H4 would not have sold the millions it has sold. H5 would not have sold the millions it has sold.
I'm sorry but Halo 4 had absolutely no legs when it came to launch. The reason it wound up 3-4 million copies short of Halo 3 was because its multiplayer was absolute trash and the campaign, which was really good in my opinion, went over people's heads. Sprint ruined it. It was unbalanced. Halo 5 didn't have great sales either. See what sprint does?
I cant believe so many people are upset that super soldiers can run. Most of the people that complain about it wouldn't think anything of it if they didn't have others on the forums to tell them why they shouldn't like it.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
It doesn't solve the problem because it IS STILL THERE. Take it away. Now.
Wow, really great argument. Totally sold me! You are a visionary in the art of formulating a well-drawn topic of discussion.

Provide some constructive material rather than stating "Take it away. Now."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 828