Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 433
  4. 434
  5. 435
  6. 436
  7. 437
  8. ...
  9. 828
SNG Swift wrote:
SNG Swift wrote:
Why take out something that is keeping halo up with all the other games? CoD for example has sprint as a set thing, take that out and you are going back 10+ years. Sprint has been in halo for 5-6 years now when Bungie had it introduced as a Spartan Ability in Reach, everyone loved the mechanic and that it allowed quick traverse across huge maps. Why take out something that makes the game more interesting and also more difficult?
I'm not sure what you mean with "keeping halo up". "Everyone loved the mechanic" no they didn't. How does sprint make the game more interesting and difficult. I think it makes the game less interesting and less difficult.
Its kinda hard to hit a moving target if they are running away and it also increases the range of which some weapons are effective (Energy Sword, Grav Hammer, Shotgun SMG) that increases your own movement and decreases your own accuracy having to adjust your aim and path your target.
It's not hard to hit sprinting players in the game. The bullet magnetism is very high and I know what direction they're locked in.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Naqser wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Naqser wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Naqser wrote:
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Let's say you guys get your way and we get a halo game without abilities and sprint. What happens to those who like halo 5's gameplay over the classic gameplay. Would you just want to leave them in the dust?
Yes.
If they have no genuine interest in what I prefer, why would I want them around?
Well that's kind of a -Yoink- thing to say. Why would want to inflict the same thing that happened to you onto others?
I am here on this forum for no one else than me, I act on behalf of my own interests.

Now pray tell, why should I have an interest in trying to keep players who are not interested in what I want to play?
I am pro no-sprint. However, we won't be able to get our fellow fans on board with another no sprint Halo if we condemn them.
What makes you think anyone who wouldn't be interested in a "classic" part of Halo in a Halo game split between modern and classic, would have interest in playing a "classic" Halo only? If they don't have an interest in it, then they simply do not, if they however do, then great.
Because if you want others to jump on board with the way you think. You have to be more tactful when discussing your point.
And this of course applies to players who will never be a part of such a discussion, but just have the game infront of them?
What do you mean?
There is a huge number of people who will never set foot on a Halo forum. They will just have the newest Halo game infront of them and based on that game they will choose to like it or not.

Again, why would I want players who aren't interested in what I like, to stay around?
You're saying you don't care about other Halo players who don't like your favorite style of Halo. However, you will have to deal with "those" other players as long as you play Halo.
That's not even remotely close to answering my question.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The reason why sprint was added to halo was to make it more fast paced. Newer generations of gamers (me included) who didn't grow up with halo are used to fast paced games such as battlefield, cod, and just about every other fps. It's hard for a slow paced game like the older halos and even the newer ones to attract the gamers so they added sprint. To be honest I like sprint when I don't have it I feel like a turtle with a gun. Sure you might not like it but your not everyone. 343 also has to appeal to the newer generations as well.
Flawed argument. That's probably because you haven't grown up with the older games, so sprint is all you know. Everyone and their mother says the new Doom game is one of the fastest paced games out now and it has no sprint. The masses don't know what they want, they only think they know, that's why it's 343's job to show you want you want. Making a fast paced game without sprint is insanely easy, but nobody - including the devs - cares to think for themselves.
But, doom has insane movement speed, that even the old halos dont have, which is why it still appeals to new generation. the new doom also has ledge clambering which old fps's didnt have.
But this topic isn't about the older games, it's about what to do with Halo 6. Increase the base speed and remove sprint. Done. Want a little burst of speed? Use thrust for that.

Point is, sprint isn't necessary for fast paced games and, in the case of Halo, slows it down.
but the point is that in order to have a faster movement speed that will keep the gameplay fast paced, the spartans would have to be in a constant state of sprint, which would break immersion. because like i said even the older halos didnt have movement speed as fast as doom. saying that h6 should just have dooms movement speed is stupid because doom already breaks the laws of physics with how fast the movement speed is. plus even if the movement speed was increased and sprint was removed, maps would still have to be made to compinsate for the faster movement speed, and therefore we would still need "bigger" maps sprint isnt the issue, map design is.
I don't think that anyone wants a BMS as high as DOOM's. 30% faster would probably be too much.

Sprint affects map design more than an increased BMS would.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
wangtime from ultimate halo proved that wrong, you can totally play effectively without sprinting, the maps have little to do with it. also what's the big deal? it really doesn't change the game in any fundemental way. i don't understand why this is still a problem.
bruh
I say sprint is fine! This Halo is different and sometimes a change is needed. I think it's great.
1. Why is sprint great.
2. Why was (unnecessary) change needed for something that already worked beautifully and no one complained about. Also, if "change is needed" why can't we change back to no sprint since sprint has been the standard for 6 years now and has become stale.
I don't know if you have read all of these comments but it seems 90% of players don't mind the sprinting. No sprint worked fine before. Now we have sprint and it works fine. It sounds like you're just complaining now because you can't adapt to change. Why is sprint not great? Because it worked fine before? Great argument. Stay sad all you would like, sprint will never be removed from the game.
Sprint makes the combat flow random, because the maps are designed around movement, but not around combat. Sprint makes good positioning less rewarding and makes the game slower. On the other hand there are no good reasons to keep sprint.
"Why take out something that is keeping halo up with all the other games? CoD for example has sprint as a set thing, take that out and you are going back 10+ years. Sprint has been in halo for 5-6 years now when Bungie had it introduced as a Spartan Ability in Reach, everyone loved the mechanic and that it allowed quick traverse across huge maps. Why take out something that makes the game more interesting and also more difficult?"
Another user wrote that. On point. 👌🏼
I say sprint is fine! This Halo is different and sometimes a change is needed. I think it's great.
1. Why is sprint great.
2. Why was (unnecessary) change needed for something that already worked beautifully and no one complained about. Also, if "change is needed" why can't we change back to no sprint since sprint has been the standard for 6 years now and has become stale.
I don't know if you have read all of these comments but it seems 90% of players don't mind the sprinting. No sprint worked fine before. Now we have sprint and it works fine. It sounds like you're just complaining now because you can't adapt to change. Why is sprint not great? Because it worked fine before? Great argument. Stay sad all you would like, sprint will never be removed from the game.
Sprint makes the combat flow random, because the maps are designed around movement, but not around combat. Sprint makes good positioning less rewarding and makes the game slower. On the other hand there are no good reasons to keep sprint.
"Why take out something that is keeping halo up with all the other games? CoD for example has sprint as a set thing, take that out and you are going back 10+ years. Sprint has been in halo for 5-6 years now when Bungie had it introduced as a Spartan Ability in Reach, everyone loved the mechanic and that it allowed quick traverse across huge maps. Why take out something that makes the game more interesting and also more difficult?"
Another user wrote that. On point. 👌🏼
At least you're not pretending to know the effects of sprint on the game. Too many uninformed people act like they know what they're talking about. Kudos.
Oh sorry, I was arguing with Celestis and he said that halo 5 played more like Reach than 3, so I think I got a bit mixed up and assumed you thought that way also. The point of me saying that was so you could see how similar the games are if you remove a thing or two.
None of those statements contradict each other.

In order to make H5G play (roughly) like classic Halo, you need to remove Spartan abilties and ADS.
In order to make Reach play (roughly) like classic Halo, you need to remove Armor abilities and bloom.

I really don't see much of a difference. Especially given how H5G's Spartan abilities basically are Armor abilities: Thruster pack is a reskinned evade. Stabilize is a weaker jetpack. Sprint is, well, sprint.

In fact, off the top of my head, only one thing comes to mind in which H5G is closer to classic Halo than Reach, and that is bleedthrough. And even if H5G were thereby closer to classic Halo than Reach itself is, it would still be closer to Reach than to the original trilogy.

Trilogy______________________________H5G_____Reach
Celestis wrote:
Celestis wrote:
From a lore standpoint, both can run and gun. You were just moving at a base movement speed in halo ce-3. If your claim were the case, master chief would've been able to shoot while sprinting in halo 4/5.
Chief is able to shoot while sprinting in lore. He just can't run and gun in Halo 4 and H5G because 343 implemented mechanics that go against lore, just like ADS does.
My guess is the change from halo ce to 2 didn't feel drastic (or at least doesn't not now it doesn't) just because it didn't have sprint. Halo 2 changed so many things to not make it feel like halo ce, but here you are, 12 years later, saying that there weren't drastic changes.
Exactly. Im saying that because they weren't drastic changes. You still had the same quake-ish gameplay with some tactical influences as before, except you were now able to shoot two weapons at the same time. Sprint is a drastic change because is eliminates run and gun gameplay in favor of stop and shoot (or whatever the exact term might be).
Halo 5 doesn't actually follow Reach's gameplay, so I guess it should be a main title.
H5G does follow Reach's gameplay very much. It still has armor abilities, they just have been rebranded into Spartan abilities. It's a spinoff, but with a few cameos of old characters, like how Regret appeared in Halo Wars.
Did you even see what I suggested? I proposed 6-8 classic, 6-8 new style playlists, and 3-4 warzone playlists. Do you see me as some evil guy trying to secretly kill halo and stop you and your band of good guys from having fun? It certainly comes off that way.
I see you as somebody kicking and screaming against people trying to return Halo to its former glory. I don't know for what reason, nor do I care.
You still proposed what I said you did, namely have some alibi-playlists in the game, as the vast majority of modes follows the modern style. Warzone follows the modern style, but with Microtransactions. Half of Arena follows the modern style. So does campaign, which you already admitted to in an older post. How on earth is this a satisfying compromise when at the very least 75% of the entire game are worthless to us?
Why does sprint matter in the campaign?
Because it screws with gameplay even more than it does in multiplayer.
From a lore standpoint, both can run and gun. You were just moving at a base movement speed in halo ce-3. If your claim were the case, master chief would've been able to shoot while sprinting in halo 4/5. . . .
Chief is able to shoot while sprinting in lore. He just can't run and gun in Halo 4 and H5G because 343 implemented mechanics that go against lore, just like ADS does. . . .
Let's clear this up: in halo ce-3, chief never sprints during the gameplay. We see him sprint in a cutscene in halo 2 after he kills regret and in halo ce as he runs to the ship after the warthog run. Both of those times we can assume he was running it was trying to run at full speed. Spartan or not, it is impossible for one at to run max speed and not have a messed up aim. We can assume that when the Spartans in halo 4/5 are sprinting, they are aiming for top speed.

Halo 5 doesn't follow Reach's gameplay. I know it's tempting to compare 2 things with five word "abilities" in it, but you have to know that Spartan abilities and armor are 2 very different things. Armor abilities were abilities that each Spartan could invidually choose and are way more powerful than a single Spartan ability, but they could only pick one. Spartan abilities are abilities that everyone has and each one is not too powerful. If you compare Reach to 5, then 3 to 5, I think you'll find that halo 5 has more similarities with 3 than Reach (if you do, don't generalize).

How many times do we have to say this, removing sprint won't return halo to its former glory!!! I saw your post on how sprint affects the campaign, and I disagree with it. It totally doesn't negatively impact the game in any way. If you want proof, look at SPV3. Plus, we are talking about the mp, not the campaign. Like I said, if you want, there could be an option to turn off abilities in the campaign. Excluding campaign, about 40% of the game would be classic. What's wrong with that? Warzone is closer to halo reach and 4 gameplay (20%), new style arena is closer to halo 5 (40%), and classic style arena is closest to halo 2/3 (40%).
Wouldn't it be possible to test the time that it would take to run the length of the temple, and then compare it to the time that it takes the Master Chief to run that distance in the cutscene? The same goes for the CE instance, right?

I'll give you that the jetpack was the only real choice. Mother of--does Truth play like Heretic? What about Reflection compared to Ivory Tower? Pitfall vs. The Pit? Reach was a spin-off.
Celestis wrote:
If a true halo fan is someone who will play the game whatever, then are Zr0 or Celestis not true halo fans. A true fan will get every halo game and try it out for a while before they make their judgement. A mega true fan would play the -Yoink- outbid every halo game, regardless if they like a different style or not. Going by your definition, are you a true fan? You said in another post that quoted me on that you might not buy halo 6. So are you, or are you not? Zr0 and all those guys are probably going to be pissed that they don't fit your definition.....
Oh, I did try out and play H5G. I just didn't pay any money for that and dropped it like a hot potato once I recognized it for the sham it is.

Am I a "true" Halo fan? I always guessed I was, as I read all the expanded lore, followed all the ARGs, etc. On the other hand I never bought any toys or apparel. In the end, I don't know and I don't care.
Don't hate on me, it's not my definition.
lolwut
Celestis wrote:
I'm not saying you can't run with your gun up. I'm saying that you can't run at full speed and be effective with your gun.
Of course I can't, but a Spartan super soldier could. I mean, I don't have implanted augmentations, for one thing, so yeah.
I love sprint and use it religiously. Keep it.
Yo, what's poppin'?
Quote:
Chief is able to shoot while sprinting in lore. He just can't run and gun in Halo 4 and H5G because 343 implemented mechanics that go against lore, just like ADS does. . . .
Let's clear this up: in halo ce-3, chief never sprints during the gameplay. We see him sprint in a cutscene in halo 2 after he kills regret and in halo ce as he runs to the ship after the warthog run. Both of those times we can assume he was running it was trying to run at full speed. Spartan or not, it is impossible for one at to run max speed and not have a messed up aim. We can assume that when the Spartans in halo 4/5 are sprinting, they are aiming for top speed.
Wouldn't it be possible to test the time that it would take to run the length of the temple, and then compare it to the time that it takes the Master Chief to run that distance in the cutscene? The same goes for the CE instance, right?
The speed from The Package is roughly 15 meters per second, which can be measured by calculating the distance of the archway (6 meters), then timing how long they need from one archway to the next (~0.4 seconds, I counted the frames using Avidemux).
The cutscene is pretty hard to assess, as the temple has no distinct features besides those three stone pedestals that it rests upon. The camera also shifts constantly, so distance perception is skewed. A very rough estimate by using Chief himself as a ruler gives the size of one of those holes in the wall as 12.53 meters, for which he needs 1.935 seconds (again using frame counting in Avidemux), which yields 6.5 meters per second. Seeing as this is lower than the 7m/s BMS in Halo CE, 2 and 3, it is safe to assume that the deviation comes from measurement uncertainties and Chief is actually still running his usual 7m/s in the cutscene.
I want to point out that 15m/s from The Package is faster than sprint speed in the games, yet Blue Team was still able to shoot accurately.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
True that man
I love sprint and use it religiously. Keep it.
Yo, what's poppin'?
Not much. Came by to see how the conversation has been going. I see it hasn't changed much. lol
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The reason why sprint was added to halo was to make it more fast paced. Newer generations of gamers (me included) who didn't grow up with halo are used to fast paced games such as battlefield, cod, and just about every other fps. It's hard for a slow paced game like the older halos and even the newer ones to attract the gamers so they added sprint. To be honest I like sprint when I don't have it I feel like a turtle with a gun. Sure you might not like it but your not everyone. 343 also has to appeal to the newer generations as well.
Flawed argument. That's probably because you haven't grown up with the older games, so sprint is all you know. Everyone and their mother says the new Doom game is one of the fastest paced games out now and it has no sprint. The masses don't know what they want, they only think they know, that's why it's 343's job to show you want you want. Making a fast paced game without sprint is insanely easy, but nobody - including the devs - cares to think for themselves.
But, doom has insane movement speed, that even the old halos dont have, which is why it still appeals to new generation. the new doom also has ledge clambering which old fps's didnt have.
But this topic isn't about the older games, it's about what to do with Halo 6. Increase the base speed and remove sprint. Done. Want a little burst of speed? Use thrust for that.

Point is, sprint isn't necessary for fast paced games and, in the case of Halo, slows it down.
but the point is that in order to have a faster movement speed that will keep the gameplay fast paced, the spartans would have to be in a constant state of sprint, which would break immersion. because like i said even the older halos didnt have movement speed as fast as doom. saying that h6 should just have dooms movement speed is stupid because doom already breaks the laws of physics with how fast the movement speed is. plus even if the movement speed was increased and sprint was removed, maps would still have to be made to compinsate for the faster movement speed, and therefore we would still need "bigger" maps sprint isnt the issue, map design is.
I don't think that anyone wants a BMS as high as DOOM's. 30% faster would probably be too much.

Sprint affects map design more than an increased BMS would.
i disagree. sprint effects maps because it offers more speed. a high bms i feel would act the same way.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Senketsu7 wrote:
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Senketsu7 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
The reason why sprint was added to halo was to make it more fast paced. Newer generations of gamers (me included) who didn't grow up with halo are used to fast paced games such as battlefield, cod, and just about every other fps. It's hard for a slow paced game like the older halos and even the newer ones to attract the gamers so they added sprint. To be honest I like sprint when I don't have it I feel like a turtle with a gun. Sure you might not like it but your not everyone. 343 also has to appeal to the newer generations as well.
Flawed argument. That's probably because you haven't grown up with the older games, so sprint is all you know. Everyone and their mother says the new Doom game is one of the fastest paced games out now and it has no sprint. The masses don't know what they want, they only think they know, that's why it's 343's job to show you want you want. Making a fast paced game without sprint is insanely easy, but nobody - including the devs - cares to think for themselves.
But, doom has insane movement speed, that even the old halos dont have, which is why it still appeals to new generation. the new doom also has ledge clambering which old fps's didnt have.
But this topic isn't about the older games, it's about what to do with Halo 6. Increase the base speed and remove sprint. Done. Want a little burst of speed? Use thrust for that.

Point is, sprint isn't necessary for fast paced games and, in the case of Halo, slows it down.
but the point is that in order to have a faster movement speed that will keep the gameplay fast paced, the spartans would have to be in a constant state of sprint, which would break immersion. because like i said even the older halos didnt have movement speed as fast as doom. saying that h6 should just have dooms movement speed is stupid because doom already breaks the laws of physics with how fast the movement speed is. plus even if the movement speed was increased and sprint was removed, maps would still have to be made to compinsate for the faster movement speed, and therefore we would still need "bigger" maps sprint isnt the issue, map design is.
I don't think that anyone wants a BMS as high as DOOM's. 30% faster would probably be too much.

Sprint affects map design more than an increased BMS would.
i disagree. sprint effects maps because it offers more speed. a high bms i feel would act the same way.
Why would a single movement speed act the same as a double movement speed?

110-120% would probably be the best range. Maps wouldn't have to be made that much larger, and they'd probably play a little bit differently, but it would most likely feel like Halo again.
Yeah, I tend to respond to certain things. I usually say what I feel needs to be said.

True Halo fans were here before sprint. If someone is truly a fan of Halo, then he or she will still play when sprint is removed, even if he or she liked it. I got Halo 4 and Halo 5, tried them out, and didn't like (most of) them. A hardcore fan would probably get really into the lore--in which, spartans were able to fire while running. Anyway, as for my definition, yes, I would consider myself a true Halo fan. I don't know as much as some, but I probably know more about the Halo franchise and its lore than a lot of people who play the games--especially the ones who were lured in by Halo 4. I won't be buying Halo 6 if it lacks split-screen, but I will be playing through the campaign at least once. I know, shocking, isn't it? Not wanting to buy a game because I can't spend hours screwing around with my friends without needing to be connected to the internet? I must not be a true fan of the series, right? I mean, it's not like Halo 5 is the first Halo title to lack split-screen--for the sake of 60 FPS. I don't need another console just to play with my sibling, do I? Concerning other posters in this thread, it isn't like the core Halo fanbase wasn't wary after the ****storm that was Halo 4. A lot of fans have jumped ship, don't you think that there's a reason for that?

No, you didn't, I was explaining part of the reason why there isn't very much overlap. Warzone Assault was pretty much all I played until--well, until Firefight came out. I mean, I played some Arena to work on commendations, but I started playing Arena a lot more after I had finished unlocking everything (and gotten Firefight Mastery). Anyway, why would Breakout getting a higher amount of RP indicate intentional poor weighting? The best Arena playlist to go for, if you're going for max RP per hour, is SWAT. 5 minute games will get you the most RP per hour. Warzone Assault is, beyond contest, the most lucrative source of RP. That's probably because it also demands REQs to win. But yeah, this is off-topic, so I'm going to stop there.

Because sprint isn't a healthy direction for Halo to go in, obviously. That's why this thread exists.

It's called hyperbole. Halo 5 isn't Halo, it has taken elements of other modern FPS games and tried to slap it all together in one game. This includes a lower TTK, which is the biggest difference between Halo and twitch shooters. Having similar movement mechanics further diminishes the line between Halo and modern twitch shooters. Could 343i pull it all together and make a Halo title with the new movement system that succeeded where Halo 5 failed? Sure. Would it be Halo? Probably not, because when I think of Halo, I think of outwitting my opponents, which means that they don't get to escape my carefully calculated trap--unless they quadshot me, which is really hard to do. Halo is at the point of having an identity crisis, and there are two ways that this can end. I want to remain a fan of Halo. I care, that's why I've said all these things in this thread. That's why people who don't play Halo 5 are on an internet forum, debating this very topic. Sprint changed everything. (And no, sprint isn't the only problem.)

Evenly? As in the time between them? As in the features that they have? Or, as in something else? Because Halo 2 was much more like CE than Halo 5 was like Reach. Anyway, Halo 2 improved on the gameplay of CE and made it even more solid. I constantly played through 5-10 minute wait-times between matches, standby, and modding. I play Halo 5 regularly, because I'm trying to finish off my commendations, and build up a large stockpile so that I can hop on when Warzone Turbo is around. Otherwise, it'll be back to other games for the most part. I'll still get on Halo 5, but it probably won't even be on a weekly basis. Moving on, that is a very dishonest list: the map design is a huge departure from Halo 3. The weapons are balanced reasonably well for Halo 5's gameplay, sure, but the balance was pretty decent in Halo 3 as well. Movement options? Try changes to core gameplay, the gameplay feels nothing like it did in Halo 3; CE and Halo 2 are right next to each-other compared to Halo 3 and 5. Equipment was a very interesting direction, it provided more depth to the gameplay, unlike Armor--sorry, Spartan Abilities.

Let me list some more differences: Warzone, the REQ system, 500 pieces of armor (that you can't customize as much as you could in Halo 3), pieces of armor that could only be acquired by completing certain challenges (in Halo 5, all you need is some luck, some time, or some cash), visor colors, loadout weapons with modifications, armor mods, REQ variants, a campaign where you actually play as the Master Chief, Prometheans... like, do I honestly need to go on?
So only people who were here before sprint came are true fans, and no one else after that can be? No. Anyone can be a true fan whenever they start.

If playing breakout got you an more RP, it would be obvious that they are trying to promote it. That's why many thought they were trying to promote warzone by giving out more RP.

I disagree that sprint is unhealthy.

Every halo has taken things from other games. Halo Reach-5 aren't the only ones. Just because they are using some similar movement ideas doesn't mean it's not halo.

Wait so equipment adds depth but Spartan abilities don't? Are you serious, or is your mind clouded with nostalgia? Maybe to you it feels nothing like it, but it feels like halo enough for me to call it halo. Every halo (besides 2/3) has had a different feel than their predecessor. There's nothing unique about halo 5 not feeling totally like halo 3.

I was comparing gameplay, not all the other stuff, because the other stuff doesn't affect the feel in-game.
Celestis wrote:
Quote:
Chief is able to shoot while sprinting in lore. He just can't run and gun in Halo 4 and H5G because 343 implemented mechanics that go against lore, just like ADS does. . . .
Let's clear this up: in halo ce-3, chief never sprints during the gameplay. We see him sprint in a cutscene in halo 2 after he kills regret and in halo ce as he runs to the ship after the warthog run. Both of those times we can assume he was running it was trying to run at full speed. Spartan or not, it is impossible for one at to run max speed and not have a messed up aim. We can assume that when the Spartans in halo 4/5 are sprinting, they are aiming for top speed.
Wouldn't it be possible to test the time that it would take to run the length of the temple, and then compare it to the time that it takes the Master Chief to run that distance in the cutscene? The same goes for the CE instance, right?
The speed from The Package is roughly 15 meters per second, which can be measured by calculating the distance of the archway (6 meters), then timing how long they need from one archway to the next (~0.4 seconds, I counted the frames using Avidemux).
The cutscene is pretty hard to assess, as the temple has no distinct features besides those three stone pedestals that it rests upon. The camera also shifts constantly, so distance perception is skewed. A very rough estimate by using Chief himself as a ruler gives the size of one of those holes in the wall as 12.53 meters, for which he needs 1.935 seconds (again using frame counting in Avidemux), which yields 6.5 meters per second. Seeing as this is lower than the 7m/s BMS in Halo CE, 2 and 3, it is safe to assume that the deviation comes from measurement uncertainties and Chief is actually still running his usual 7m/s in the cutscene.
I want to point out that 15m/s from The Package is faster than sprint speed in the games, yet Blue Team was still able to shoot accurately.
I don't think every or even most tiny details about anime should be considered canon.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 433
  4. 434
  5. 435
  6. 436
  7. 437
  8. ...
  9. 828