Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 486
  4. 487
  5. 488
  6. 489
  7. 490
  8. ...
  9. 839
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that.
Then just read the opening post with all the links with the post. We shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. Make an effort.
No worry- The only Waypoint poll was literally LIED about on that Reddit post anyway. I should be surprised- stretching statistics is nothing new for the anti-sprint crew...
Well, at least you were nice enough to make it clear you're not to be taken seriously.
Says the guy who literally disappears anytime that he can't counter a point... You've done this twice in the past with me in this thread so I'd be surprised to see you take anyone seriously in this debate... That is to say if they don't agree with you. It's always the same cycle with you... You try to convince pro sprinters that they're wrong, why they're wrong, and that they should agree with you about why you don't like sprint... When that fails you say their opinions are worthless and eventually ask them to leave the thread.

The Reddit post clearly incorrectly referenced that poll on Waypoint.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that.
Then just read the opening post with all the links with the post. We shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. Make an effort.
No worry- The only Waypoint poll was literally LIED about on that Reddit post anyway. I should be surprised- stretching statistics is nothing new for the anti-sprint crew...
Well, at least you were nice enough to make it clear you're not to be taken seriously.
Says the guy who literally disappears anytime that he can't counter a point... You've done this twice in the past with me in this thread so I'd be surprised to see you take anyone seriously in this debate... That is if they don't agree with you.
I don't know who you are, don't flatter yourself.

I get it. It stinks when you see proof of the opposite what you said. Denial is normal, but when you're ready to have a real discussion, let us know. But now we know you'll just resort to, "LIES!", so you'll need to first prove you're open to discussion.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that.
Then just read the opening post with all the links with the post. We shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. Make an effort.
No worry- The only Waypoint poll was literally LIED about on that Reddit post anyway. I should be surprised- stretching statistics is nothing new for the anti-sprint crew...
Well, at least you were nice enough to make it clear you're not to be taken seriously.
Says the guy who literally disappears anytime that he can't counter a point... You've done this twice in the past with me in this thread so I'd be surprised to see you take anyone seriously in this debate... That is if they don't agree with you.
I don't know who you are, don't flatter yourself.

I get it. It stinks when you see proof of the opposite what you said. Denial is normal, but when you're ready to have a real discussion, let us know. But now we know you'll just resort to, "LIES!", so you'll need to first prove you're open to discussion.
No games played on that profile of yours... Funny how you seem to have such a strong opinion about a facet of a game that you never even bothered to play. Unless of course there are multiple accounts of yours out there but you'd never do that right? Well hey if you ever choose to actually play Halo you'd probably find that sprint isn't nearly as bad as you're portraying it.
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that.
Then just read the opening post with all the links with the post. We shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. Make an effort.
No worry- The only Waypoint poll was literally LIED about on that Reddit post anyway. I should be surprised- stretching statistics is nothing new for the anti-sprint crew...
Well, at least you were nice enough to make it clear you're not to be taken seriously.
Says the guy who literally disappears anytime that he can't counter a point... You've done this twice in the past with me in this thread so I'd be surprised to see you take anyone seriously in this debate... That is if they don't agree with you.
I don't know who you are, don't flatter yourself.

I get it. It stinks when you see proof of the opposite what you said. Denial is normal, but when you're ready to have a real discussion, let us know. But now we know you'll just resort to, "LIES!", so you'll need to first prove you're open to discussion.
No games played on that profile of yours... Funny how you seem to have such a strong opinion about a game that you never tried to play. Unless of course there are other accounts of yours out there but you'd never do that right? Well hey if you ever choose to actually play Halo you'd probably find that sprint isn't as bad as you're portraying it.
Are you ready to accept the polls we showed you or should I just wait until you cool down and come to grips with it?
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that. And the poll on Waypoint is ENTIRELY misquoted AND misrepresented!! The Reddit user tried to quote it as users stating that sprint doesn't belong in Halo- when in reality that Waypoint poll was completely convoluted- merging sprint and flinch together into the poll itself. The majority in that poll did NOT vote that sprint doesn't belong- rather that "neither mechanic belongs in Halo," because the poll
combined two separate issues into one response.
There were 4 options: sprint and flinch should stay in halo, sprint should stay but flinch shouldn't, flinch should stay but sprint shouldn't, and neither should stay. The last option had 70% of the votes, while the 3rd option had 1%, which was what made the Reddit poster summarize the poll to 71% of the posters not wanting sprint. How can you misinterpret this so inaccurately?
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"

Also I saw a ton of viewers watching HCS- And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it.
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"
And I told you that it's not an after though, especially in competitive play with how they're designed. You could argue it for older Halos when you weren't fed information for random tosses, but in Halo 5, it's more than an after thought to pick up grenades.

The way I entered the debate was entirely fine. Your logic behind sprint is based and rooted in how Spartans are in the lore. It doesn't hold ANY validity in regards to how it actually works in game, or affects it. I don't agree with you, sure, but my argument isn't being made solely because I disagree with you, but because you're wrong.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That post has polls from waypoint, team beyond, and Reddit. Please pay attention to the links people post next time.
What links?? Couldn't you just post said links to waypoint next time? I don't use Reddit because it's a mess of replies hidden inside of replies... inside of more replies... The link you posted is just that.
Then just read the opening post with all the links with the post. We shouldn't have to spoon feed this to you. Make an effort.
No worry- The only Waypoint poll was literally LIED about on that Reddit post anyway. I should be surprised- stretching statistics is nothing new for the anti-sprint crew...
Well, at least you were nice enough to make it clear you're not to be taken seriously.
Says the guy who literally disappears anytime that he can't counter a point... You've done this twice in the past with me in this thread so I'd be surprised to see you take anyone seriously in this debate... That is if they don't agree with you.
I don't know who you are, don't flatter yourself.

I get it. It stinks when you see proof of the opposite what you said. Denial is normal, but when you're ready to have a real discussion, let us know. But now we know you'll just resort to, "LIES!", so you'll need to first prove you're open to discussion.
No games played on that profile of yours... Funny how you seem to have such a strong opinion about a game that you never tried to play. Unless of course there are other accounts of yours out there but you'd never do that right? Well hey if you ever choose to actually play Halo you'd probably find that sprint isn't as bad as you're portraying it.
Are you ready to accept the polls we showed you or should I just wait until you cool down and come to grips with it?
The Waypoint poll was lied about on Reddit. That Reddit user incorrectly quoted that poll and probably figured that linking some poor qualty YouTube video about it INSTEAD of the poll itself would help mask that person's bias on the issue and the way they completely lied about that poll.
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"

Also I saw a ton of viewers watching HCS- And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it.
You're telling me that halo can't be fast paced and intense without sprint, from not only this post but your many other arguments against no sprint in the older games?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'm getting sick of this topic popping up in the popular topics category lol
Why comment and bringing to the top?
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"
And I told you that it's not an after though, especially in competitive play with how they're designed. You could argue it for older Halos when you weren't fed information for random tosses, but in Halo 5, it's more than an after thought to pick up grenades.

The way I entered the debate was entirely fine. Your logic behind sprint is based and rooted in how Spartans are in the lore. It doesn't hold ANY validity in regards to how it actually works in game, or affects it. I don't agree with you, sure, but my argument isn't being made solely because I disagree with you, but because you're wrong.
Regarding grenades I think there's a misunderstanding here between us that I'd like to clarify...

You're talking about the way grenades are used. We all use the equipment that we're given as a load out. I'm arguing that picking them up is an after thought. And not that players don't do it- most of us do it naturally. But we pick them up subconsciously- engaging the enemy is more important than scrambling around the map in search of grenades. The original point of all that even was to say that whether or not people had sprint- picking up grenades laying around the map wouldn't be impacted.

Also my logic behind sprint isn't SOLELY rooted behind lore- that's one reason of many why I think sprint should stay. Furthermore you have no basis to definitely stare that your opinion about that is any more right or wrong than my own.
TryHardFan wrote:
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"

Also I saw a ton of viewers watching HCS- And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it.
You're telling me that halo can't be fast paced and intense without sprint, from not only this post but your many other arguments against no sprint in the older games?
When did I tell you that? I never told anyone that- I said that Halo would be more boring for me if sprint were to be taken out... I've seen others chased off here in this for posting the same thing- but the point still stands that many people would be bored by Halo if sprint were removed. I'm not saying that everyone would feel that way- clearly you wouldn't... But you don't represent the majority of players any more than I do.

What I was actually trying to tell you in that particular post was what I told you in closing in that post... "And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it."
Also my logic behind sprint isn't SOLELY rooted behind lore- that's one reason of many why I think sprint should stay. Furthermore you have no basis to definitely stare that your opinion about that is any more right or wrong than my own.
I very much do have a basis to say my idea is more "right" than your own in a competitive argument, but do go on. Bar lore or ANY sense of immersion, what possible upsides or reasons could you have for keeping sprint.
Also my logic behind sprint isn't SOLELY rooted behind lore- that's one reason of many why I think sprint should stay. Furthermore you have no basis to definitely stare that your opinion about that is any more right or wrong than my own.
I very much do have a basis to say my idea is more "right" than your own in a competitive argument, but do go on. Bar lore or ANY sense of immersion, what possible upsides or reasons could you have for keeping sprint.
The sense of immersion was and still is another point that I made for keeping sprint. I don't need to bar that point because you told me to- it's a separate, additional point to support why sprint should stay. It might somewhat coincide with the point I made about lore but those are still separate and valid points no matter how you try to chew them up. But I'll bite- lack of sprint was also boring and it served to counter professional play in Halo 3. Why did all the Halo 2 map remakes fail to deliver in Halo 3? Because Halo 2 played faster than 3- so walking around them like big bulky robo-cop morons in Halo 3 didn't work the same way that it did in Halo 2. And yeah, I get it - there was no sprint in Halo 2. But it wasn't that moving slow didn't work in Halo 3 either- it did work on several maps. The bridge in the gap between 2's faster base movement and speed of combat and Halo 3's slower, more controlled pace IS NOT trying to tweak ONE base movement speed. The BRIDGE is to continue to keep sprint and to give players the CHOICE of which speed they want to use depending on the situation. Cat and mouse games CANNOT go on forever because sprint is temporary. How can you honestly argue that giving players choice is a bad thing here? I'd counter that constraining them to one base movement speed is a restriction.

Aside from my personal boredom of slugging through maps on one steady pace via the lack of two movement speeds, on a larger scale I'd argue that removing sprint will absolutely not make Halo feel any more like Halo to the majority of gamers. If anything more players would likely feel alienated and less people would likely watch it on Twitch.
The sense of immersion was and still is another point that I made for keeping sprint. I don't need to bar that point because you told me to- it's a separate, additional point to support why sprint should stay. But I'll bite- lack of sprint was also boring and it served to counter professional play in Halo 3. Why did all
the Halo 2 remakes fail to deliver in Halo 3? Because Halo 2 played faster than 3- so walking around them like big bulky robo-cop morons in Halo 3 didn't work the same way that it did in Halo 2. And yeah, I get it - there was no sprint in Halo 2. But it wasn't that moving slow didn't work in Halo 3 either- it did work on several maps. The bridge in the gap between 2's faster base movement and speed of combat and Halo 3's slower, more controlled pace IS NOT trying to tweak ONE base movement speed. The BRIDGE is to continue to keep sprint and to give players the CHOICE of which speed they want to use depending on the situation. Cat and mouse games CANNOT go on forever because sprint is temporary.
Halo 2 played faster than Halo 3 because the starting weapon was much more consistent, on top of equipment being introduced (In H3), not because of movement speed inconsistencies caused by sprint, though. Halo 3's BR wasn't precise, or consistent compared to Halo 2's which made fights much more slow, as you couldn't consistently hit a target five feet in front of you, and opened up much more opportunities for running, since strongsiding was still a thing. And to add to it, Halo 3 allowed you to drop things like bubble shields or regen fields when your opponent had no idea you held them, which brought in a bit of randomness to the fray.

None of those had to do with sprint, or movement issues. And the illusion of you moving slower in Halo 3 was caused by the narrow FoV, when in reality, you moved at the same speed as Halo 2, bar your strafe, which was slower. Look at Heretic and Midship. Both maps are the exact same. The remakes didn't fail at all, it was a combination of weapon placement, equipment placement, and a bad starting weapon that ended up being the wrench in Halo 3.

P.S: Sprint's not temporary in Halo 5.
TryHardFan wrote:
-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Warzone spawns are nothing like CE's, don't kid yourself. Grenades affect Halo 5's gameplay a lot, especially with the addition of grenade hitmarkers, unlike earlier games where grenades, while useful, weren't used as a constant tool to randomly find people across the map. The argument for two movement speeds being realistic and being good for the game are entirely different. You shouldn't add sprint because of lore in the same way you shouldn't design the weapon sandbox around how said weapons act in the lore. Sprint's messed up the competitive viability of the game in multiple ways and on top of it, the pace, although, the two can be intertwined, and with that, 343i can stay honest to Halo's canon in multiple other ways, that don't impact how Halo plays.
Don't "kid," myself? AYFKM? That's the whole way you approach trying to counter somebody's point? That's almost laughable except you're actually serious in that statement... Wow.

Grenades are still just equipment- And picking them up on the map IS just an after thought. Finding a few people crouching around via tossing grenades on a whim is still such a small part of any game it's not even worthy of such a discussion, let alone as an attempt to try and counter the point that picking up grenades laying around on maps is still an after thought.

And the argument for two movement speeds IS NOT separate from this discussion. Wanting my Spartan to move like the Spartans in the Halo books is absolutely not something you can extract from this discussion. You're opinion here is actually not some condescending "shock and awe," epiphany- you're still just another pro-sprinter extremist that wants to under value the opposing point of view any way that you possible can. And Halo 5 has been enormously successful in the pro scene so how on earth can you even justify your opinion that, "sprint messed up the competitive viability of [Halo]"?? You can't other than you just prefer sprint... Which is also just an opinion- no different than mine, except I prefer to keep things in perspective...
I don't see how you could get offended by me saying "don't kid yourself" as a proper phrase. What I'm saying is CE's spawns are nothing like Halo 5's, and you shouldn't kid yourself about it.

May be an after-thought to you, but Halo 5's grenades are more than "just" equipment. They're at a base, miniature "motion trackers". Throw a nade cross-map, and you can potentially learn someone's position, whereas in older Halos, you couldn't, and would be required to pick one up again. They CAN be used in a way that's unarguably game changing, which was my point about your comment in the first place. To add to that, for example, picking up a Splinter isn't an after thought. People are aware of how powerful they can be (A OHKO) and will actively go for them, given how they can be used as a way to deny an area to the enemy, while also dealing out hilarious amounts of damage.

Finally, though, you know calling me a "pro sprinter extremist" means that I argue FOR sprint to an extreme degree, right? Which is entirely not what I'm doing, since I'm arguing against it. Same goes for the "you can't, other than you just prefer sprint" comment. I don't prefer it. I wish it'd go since it's a detriment to the game's design. However, Halo 5 hasn't really been successful in the pro scene. You may not know it, but viewership for Halo 5 isn't exactly stellar and is well under prior Halo's viewership counts for MLG. Besides, success and competitive viability aren't mutually exclusive. For example, sprint objectively stretches out maps and engagements, and slows them down, since players can run away from an attacker at a speed faster than the base speed, resulting in cat and mouse play, but also rewarding people who can run away from gunfights with survival. That isn't an opinion, that's how the game plays. And the game may have viewers and pro players willing to play, but there're many things that bog down it's competitive viability from an objective design standpoint.
I told you that picking up grenades is an after thought... Especially when you spawn in with them anyway.

The pro sprinter extremist comment was more or less regarding the way you enter the debate and conduct yourself when defending your opinion. Trying to minimize the other side on the issue because they don't agree with you is where that originated from- not necessarily how much personal stake you actually choose to being "pro sprint"

Also I saw a ton of viewers watching HCS- And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it.
You're telling me that halo can't be fast paced and intense without sprint, from not only this post but your many other arguments against no sprint in the older games?
When did I tell you that? I never told anyone that- I said that Halo would be more boring for me if sprint were to be taken out... I've seen others chased off here in this for posting the same thing- but the point still stands that many people would be bored by Halo if sprint were removed. I'm not saying that everyone would feel that way- clearly you wouldn't... But you don't represent the majority of players any more than I do.

What I was actually trying to tell you in that particular post was was I told you in closing in that post... "And I very much doubt that there would be more viewers watching HCS if sprint wasn't part of it."
Where does this sense of boredom come from with a game without sprint exactly, because you heavily imply that sprint makes games more intense with a potential for even faster movement to make games more interesting to watch? Movement can be entirely compensated without sprint by a bigger FOV, base movement speed, and proper map design, all of which possible to implement. And did you ever realize that halo 3, which didn't have sprint was contending for the top 3 in Xbox live without the life span of at least 2 years, while halo 5 can't consistently break top 10 with sprint, one year in its lifespan? Odd correlation if you ask me for a claim that HCS would have less viewers without it.
If the base player speed is as fast as a spartan sprinting, why would we need sprint? We wouldn't. This way we could always have our guns ready to fire, and remove the randomization of player speeds by having to click a button mindlessly to sprint. So what do we have left to consider? That it does not visually look like your spartan is sprinting? This could easily be fixed but running animations. Most people are just attached to the idea that not sprinting means you're slow, but if you are going the same speed regardless of clicking an additional button, then why on earth would we actually need sprint?
Also, the argument that nobody is forcing you to sprint is absurd, theoretically, that is true. But if you never sprint, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage to get to power weapons on time, or force engagements. People always say, "I don't sprint and I do fine" well, theres a HUGE difference between doing "fine" and being "pro" isn't there.
I can't believe this is still a topic we have to argue about. You can make lists about the negative aspects of sprint all day, but where are the lists of positive gameplay enhancements? There are none.
The sense of immersion was and still is another point that I made for keeping sprint. I don't need to bar that point because you told me to- it's a separate, additional point to support why sprint should stay. But I'll bite- lack of sprint was also boring and it served to counter professional play in Halo 3. Why did all
the Halo 2 remakes fail to deliver in Halo 3? Because Halo 2 played faster than 3- so walking around them like big bulky robo-cop morons in Halo 3 didn't work the same way that it did in Halo 2. And yeah, I get it - there was no sprint in Halo 2. But it wasn't that moving slow didn't work in Halo 3 either- it did work on several maps. The bridge in the gap between 2's faster base movement and speed of combat and Halo 3's slower, more controlled pace IS NOT trying to tweak ONE base movement speed. The BRIDGE is to continue to keep sprint and to give players the CHOICE of which speed they want to use depending on the situation. Cat and mouse games CANNOT go on forever because sprint is temporary.
Halo 2 played faster than Halo 3 because the starting weapon was much more consistent, on top of equipment being introduced, not because of movement speed inconsistencies caused by sprint, though. Halo 3's BR wasn't precise, or consistent compared to Halo 2's which made fights much more slow, as you couldn't consistently hit a target five feet in front of you, and opened up much more opportunities for running, since strongsiding was still a thing. And to add to it, Halo 3 allowed you to drop things like bubble shields or regen fields when your opponent had no idea you held them, which brought in a bit of randomness to the fray.

None of those had to do with sprint, or movement issues. And the illusion of you moving slower in Halo 3 was caused by the narrow FoV, when in reality, you moved at the same speed as Halo 2, bar your strafe, which was slower. Look at Heretic and Midship. Both maps are the exact same. The remakes didn't fail at all, it was a combination of weapon placement, equipment placement, and a bad starting weapon that ended up being the wrench in Halo 3.
Then why did pro leagues (then called "MLG") choose to increase base movement speed in an effort to increase the speed of the combat? That's no illusion my friend that's what actually happened and the result was a different type of game that played faster and more like Halo 2. I'm not trying to get into a "which was better?" debate between 2 and 3 because that's not what this thread is about... However base movement speed was a factor in Halo 3 playing different than in Halo 2 because when base movement it was increased Halo 3 played more like Halo 2. That said, Halo 3 was still a fine game in the slower, more controlled default pace (for me not so much particularly in larger maps where large spaces needed to be covered by walking at a painfully slow pace- however Halo 3 was still hugely successful nonetheless).

Therefore giving players the ability to choose between walking or sprinting merges a slower pace of gameplay with a faster pace- thereby opening the door to making more maps actually work for Halo games with a sprint option. Sprint is less confining and restrictive than one single base movement speed. That holds true for both map designers and for players (more importantly it caters to multiple styles of play from the gamers).

Now I'm not going to sit here and try to tell you that you're wrong for not wanting sprint. That's your opinion to have- but on the flip side I'm not going to allow you, zr0fear, jinx, or anyone else to sit and tell me that I'm wrong for wanting to keep sprint either or that my opinion for wanting to keep sprint is somehow "worthless," or "pointless," just because it doesn't line up with your opinion. There are reasons you want sprint gone but that doesn't mean there aren't good reasons that I want it to stay either.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 486
  4. 487
  5. 488
  6. 489
  7. 490
  8. ...
  9. 839