Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 492
  4. 493
  5. 494
  6. 495
  7. 496
  8. ...
  9. 830
Sprint makes Halo a lot quicker and forces you to be a lot more skilled with your shots. If we didn't have sprint it would be very difficult to cross some of the more baron sections of particular maps without being shot and there is no way in hell you could get people to run into traps such as throwing a splinter grenade into a door way. Besides, if we are going forward in time it means that the armour that the UNSC makes is going to get better. Not worse. I don't thing that they are going to stop their spartans from getting places faster and the Spartans are not just going to forget how to run.
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
Woah there, those are statistics you're tossing around that you cannot back up because they're made up... Pro sprint ALWAYS won in the polls and everyone that I've ever seen and participated in indicated that the pro sprint side won with a slam dunk.

I'm not against anti-sprinters... I do want sprint to stay, yet at the same time I understand what many of you want and would rather have in Halo... I do think that be boring and would even hurt Halo by lowering the population so naturally I just want sprint to stay in Halo games. What I do not appreciate would pro sprinters is the way they GROSSLY try to over-inflate this issue in an effort to gain more exposure than this issue genuinely deserves.

I too have issues with Halo titles- but I wait my turn and express them in respectful ways... I like to hear what others think on the issue- I do not aggressively undercut and undervalue opinions when other people simple do not agree with me (A STARK contrast to the way pro sprinters have approached this issue). I don't sit here and try to perpetuate a thread to make it grow WAY bigger than the life of an average thread in an effort to make the issue appear larger than it really is. I express my opinions peacefully in the Halo Community Feedback system and expect that others may not actually see things the way that I see them. For those things I just went over, I don't appreciate or respect how so many pro-sprinters have conducted themselves regarding this issue.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
No, if you looked at the Reddit page it was only discussing the results of polls on other sites, one on r/halo, one on teambeyond.net and one on waypoint, they were all linked, and discussed on that Reddit page.
That Reddit post lied about the data anyway.

And no, absolutely not- that, "Waypoint poll," that Reddit user misquoted wasn't actually, "linked," to a poll. It was linked to a video about a poll that apparently no longer exists... That Reddit user incorrectly quoted that poll (including the question of the poll AND the responses in that poll) and completely left out the fact that in the video (according to the YouTube narrarator) that poll was still less than a day old. That is a completely and totally bogus way to try to use data.
No, he rephrased how the original post worded it, but the numbers are still corect, in case you weren't aware waypoint got a new site and that poll was on the old one, meaning it no longer exists. It's not our problem that you haven't been with the community long enough to know that, and there are still two polls from other sites there, waypoint isn't the only or even the most popular halo forum.
Chipmmunk wrote:
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Why would you need sprint for two betrayals? Are there not an abundance of vehicles to get around the map, or did you just neglect them and walk your way to the end? Not once in any previous Halo's did I say to myself "Man I wish I had sprint right about now"
You know that part You know that part you go through where you can't fit any vehicles through, and you have to walk forever to get to the action?
Here's a link for you. #PartIWishHadSprint
Zeezke99 wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Why would you need sprint for two betrayals? Are there not an abundance of vehicles to get around the map, or did you just neglect them and walk your way to the end? Not once in any previous Halo's did I say to myself "Man I wish I had sprint right about now"
You know that part You know that part you go through where you can't fit any vehicles through, and you have to walk forever to get to the action?
Here's a link for you. #PartIWishHadSprint
#speedrunstrats that's bad map design on their part but you can force vehicles through (obviously not something you are supposed to do so its not your fault for not knowing that) but better map design would fix that.
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
Woah there, those are statistics you're tossing around that you cannot back up because they're made up... Pro sprint ALWAYS won in the polls and everyone that I've ever seen and participated in indicated that the pro sprint side won with a slam dunk.

I'm not against anti-sprinters... I do want sprint to stay, yet at the same time I understand what many of you want and would rather have in Halo... I do think that be boring and would even hurt Halo by lowering the population so naturally I just want sprint to stay in Halo games. What I do not appreciate would pro sprinters is the way they GROSSLY try to over-inflate this issue in an effort to gain more exposure than this issue genuinely deserves.

I too have issues with Halo titles- but I wait my turn and express them in respectful ways... I like to hear what others think on the issue- I do not aggressively undercut and undervalue opinions when other people simple do not agree with me (A STARK contrast to the way pro sprinters have approached this issue). I don't sit here and try to perpetuate a thread to make it grow WAY bigger than the life of an average thread in an effort to make the issue appear larger than it really is. I express my opinions peacefully in the Halo Community Feedback system and expect that others may not actually see things the way that I see them. For those things I just went over, I don't appreciate or respect how so many pro-sprinters have conducted themselves regarding this issue.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
No, if you looked at the Reddit page it was only discussing the results of polls on other sites, one on r/halo, one on teambeyond.net and one on waypoint, they were all linked, and discussed on that Reddit page.
That Reddit post lied about the data anyway.

And no, absolutely not- that, "Waypoint poll," that Reddit user misquoted wasn't actually, "linked," to a poll. It was linked to a video about a poll that apparently no longer exists... That Reddit user incorrectly quoted that poll (including the question of the poll AND the responses in that poll) and completely left out the fact that in the video (according to the YouTube narrarator) that poll was still less than a day old. That is a completely and totally bogus way to try to use data.
Could you explain how sprint makes the game more competitive? I'm sure you've done it already, but I've missed it. Overall there are like two conversations to be had about sprint. If it makes the gameplay more "fun" and if it adds depth to the gameplay. I don't think that many people are doing a very good job of the second conversation.
Sprint makes Halo a lot quicker and forces you to be a lot more skilled with your shots. If we didn't have sprint it would be very difficult to cross some of the more baron sections of particular maps without being shot and there is no way in hell you could get people to run into traps such as throwing a splinter grenade into a door way. Besides, if we are going forward in time it means that the armour that the UNSC makes is going to get better. Not worse. I don't thing that they are going to stop their spartans from getting places faster and the Spartans are not just going to forget how to run.
Sprint has little relevance in how quick Halo actually is, while it may be so that you need to be a little better at following a faster target, I'd say it's a negligible difference.

As for "barren" sections of particular maps, without sprint, the sections would be differently designed, or alternatively, they're designed that way for a purpose. For instance, an open quicker route is more dangerous, but as I said, quicker. While another longer path takes more time, but can be made safer with more cover.
The much talked about "risk vs reward" aspect.

Short exposed path = riskier but quicker
Longer safer path = less risky but slower

However, the barren exposed parts in maps now that serve a function, you're at as much of a risk in a game with sprint on an open area as you are in a game without sprint, because that area has most likely been designed in a way to be a risky place to be in, regardless of what kind of movement mechanics you have. There is no idea in designing a map with dangers, safe spots, defensive positions, choke points and what ever else they may have in mind, if all that is nulled or made less effective with gameplay mechanics.

Getting people to run into traps have little to do with sprint, if any at all. Your awareness has more to do with your chances for falling for a trap than sprint ever will.

Yes, time moves forward and the gear improves. One would assume that the armors at some point could compensate all the physics that goes into sprinting and allow a Spartan to shoot accurately while going at full speed, the speed that the wearer can achieve without starting to hurt him- / herself.

Either way, that's besides the point, unless we want to contemplate on how Spartans now and then remember that they can go prone?
Make Halo Great again. Remove sprint, ADS, and clambering. Sometimes I wonder if I'm even playing Halo 5 or COD. Beginning to become indistinguishable.
Naqser wrote:
Sprint makes Halo a lot quicker and forces you to be a lot more skilled with your shots. If we didn't have sprint it would be very difficult to cross some of the more baron sections of particular maps without being shot and there is no way in hell you could get people to run into traps such as throwing a splinter grenade into a door way. Besides, if we are going forward in time it means that the armour that the UNSC makes is going to get better. Not worse. I don't thing that they are going to stop their spartans from getting places faster and the Spartans are not just going to forget how to run.
Sprint has little relevance in how quick Halo actually is, while it may be so that you need to be a little better at following a faster target, I'd say it's a negligible difference.

As for "barren" sections of particular maps, without sprint, the sections would be differently designed, or alternatively, they're designed that way for a purpose. For instance, an open quicker route is more dangerous, but as I said, quicker. While another longer path takes more time, but can be made safer with more cover.
The much talked about "risk vs reward" aspect.

Short exposed path = riskier but quicker
Longer safer path = less risky but slower

However, the barren exposed parts in maps now that serve a function, you're at as much of a risk in a game with sprint on an open area as you are in a game without sprint, because that area has most likely been designed in a way to be a risky place to be in, regardless of what kind of movement mechanics you have. There is no idea in designing a map with dangers, safe spots, defensive positions, choke points and what ever else they may have in mind, if all that is nulled or made less effective with gameplay mechanics.

Getting people to run into traps have little to do with sprint, if any at all. Your awareness has more to do with your chances for falling for a trap than sprint ever will.

Yes, time moves forward and the gear improves. One would assume that the armors at some point could compensate all the physics that goes into sprinting and allow a Spartan to shoot accurately while going at full speed, the speed that the wearer can achieve without starting to hurt him- / herself.

Either way, that's besides the point, unless we want to contemplate on how Spartans now and then remember that they can go prone?
I'm gonna be honest. Those are some good counter arguments. However, I believe sprint can still improve, in some sense, every one of those points such as; people unable to stop when they become aware of an ambush or trap, getting to the action quicker, spawn in further away (from the objective) safer areas without the cost of having to walk a long distance over to the objective; this isn't fun.

What really is beside the point is that the majority is going to get their way with 343 and it seems that the majority wants to keep the sprint. Halo without sprint will still be fun regardless of what direction they go in but I have a feeling they are going to add, not take away. The master chief collection for now then? All the Halos are fun to play, sprint or no sprint.

On a side note, it's really nice to see some passion for Halo but I'm not sure wether it's because you like it or because you hate it. I really do hope you enjoy what 343 brings us next. I hope the creator of this form enjoys it too. (Between you and me, I think they are trying to steal some Call Of Duty fan boys by making it original but making some of the mechanics more like COD bit by bit. That's not hard though because Cod is trying to make it way too futuristic for its own good.)
Okay, hold on. So first the issue with Spartans not sprinting has nothing to do with the lore. The reason Spartans don't sprint is a game mechanic not a demonstration of their physical ability. For example, Kelly from Blue team can run up to 80 MPH.
Let's discuss your reason on why sprint should be in halo
1. It allows you to get across large open spots.
My issue with this is that, in previous halo games, is that on most maps is that aren't many if any big open spaces. There are a few like the bottom of zealot and the back of boneyard but this highlights another great thing about halo. Is that it is all about map control. You don't have to go through the "open parts" as long as you have proper positioning. So it becomes a fight for things like the high ground. Halo is always been about team work and communication.

Halo is also created with with skill in mind. You had to make moves to take out your enemyou that they knew you could make. It was all about your excaution, it doesn't take more skill in halo 5 to kill someone because the hit boxes were made larger due to faster movement.
Halo is about gun fights that you have to be confident about and the situation.

Halo has become more if a twitch shooter in the sense that you need to snap around each corner instead of taking fights slower and thinkingredients about everything and the facts that players can cross the map in seconds near defeats map control.

I want to explain the halo triangle about guns, grenades, MeLee, but if your read my previous note then you know what I'm taking about, basically Spartan abilities ruin halo.

There are new ways the devs can speed up the gameplay like things like grenade jumping, fusion coil jumps and other creative froms of transportation that can add to the sandbox and maput design.

I hope this could clear all this up, and show you why people don't want halo in sprint and show you the other side of the argument. If you still have issues with my arguments, we can talk more, I'd be glad.
think ever since halo had sprint it has been going down hill.
Now don't get me wrong, I got into Halo at reach, so that is my favorite game at heart, but I do have some gripes with the introduction of sprint.
This has led the franchise to go into an awkward position and not creating very memorable gameplay or even notable.
Halo 4, the next step in the franchise made a more CallofDuty like game, let's not lie to ourselves, it was COD. And I like COD, but it shouldn't be in halo.
Listen sprint isn't an inherently bad mechanic. This is not what this about. It's about why HALO should not have sprint because HALO is a very different game, let me explain.

Halo is a bear bones game, it's built to be simple, becuase when you and I enter the halo arena, we are equals. It comes down to map control, grenades, and proper shooting. halo is construted of a triangle of 3 things, the devs call it the halo triangle. It's made of grenades, MeLee, and guns.
You should always be able to do any of those things at anytime to dispose of your enemies.
But with halo 5 and the "enhanced mobility" you have to put so many more things in the equation.
You have sprinting, sliding, boosting, clamber, groundpound, Spartan charge. It's too much

Now you could say, that is just more to think about, but it becomes random, and unpredictable, and there's no way to create a classic Playlist because the weapons are scaled to a quick environment and most gun fights are now mid to long range, so CQB has been totally erased from the question.

So as you can see, it's not that halo 5's engine is bad. But instead its transformed into a whole other game. It's NOT HALO. the fact that Sprint is in halo and has caused this much stirring just says why this was not a good idea. It's doing numbers on the community. And we just want a game where old and new fans can come together and play a game that we love. That's all.
Saying "Ever since Halo added sprint, it's been going down hill" does not mean that sprint is the cause for Halo declining. There would need to be a great deal of effort given to prove that this is in fact the reason for Halo's decline. So as of now, it is only your assumption (and anyone who also agrees with this)

The DMR didn't appear until Halo Reach, the same game that sprint was added, and has been in every Halo game since. You'd probably laugh at my face if I really tried to make that argument as the reason for the decline, wouldn't you?

While yes, Halo started declining when sprint appeared, you guys also fail to consider the fact that:

- The popularity of Call of Duty began to explode, and eventually overtook Halo as MLG's primary console game.

- A very large amount of the active Halo population were in college at the time of Halo Reach's release and either had stopped gaming, or played less often in general - and the variables go on and on with this one, with some gamers never returning to Halo after college, some finding other games that they got into, etc.

- In regards to my last point, with a large portion of that generation leaving, the younger generation grew up at a time where cod was the coolest game out there, so that's where they went. You wouldn't believe how many times I've posted a clip on social media and people ask "what game is this?" - CoD is all they know and all they've ever played.

- Sony has grown in popularity as well with many Xbox users switching over.

- As the times go on, Halo has had a massively growing pool of competition when it comes to other games out there.

Even with these few examples I listed, you guys think that removing sprint will somehow take everything back to the way it was? You think the ones who simply got older and decided to find other hobbies only did so because sprint was added to the game? There are just a mind numbing number of variables that played and may have played a part in Halo's decline, but it is silly to assume that sprint is the leading cause, only because it started when sprint was added to the game.

For me personally, I was one of those who left/Played less when Reach came out, and it was really upsetting to not enjoy the newer Halo's as much as 2/3. Halo 5 brought me back into Halo full force and it is once again the only game I play. H5 has sprint, but so does Reach and H4 - I hated H4 and moderately enjoyed Reach, and sprint was never the reason I played those games less than the previous ones. Like I said thats my personal reason. So I'm not using it as an argument. I actually understand some of the arguments against sprint even though I disagree with them, but I do not think it's valid to say that it's the reason for the decline of the series.
The 'if you don't like it don't use it' argument, is the stupidest point I've ever heard.
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
What? An STK OG actually supports sprint? Mind blown.

Were weapon spawns on maps here to stay before Halo 4 dropped? What about even starts? Picking up grenades without a perk? etc.

Could you explain how two movement speeds are "both necessary and beneficial" for Halo?
I am an OG but never was a part of the StK clan. I enjoyed the older Halo games as well. I was also never one to just say, "adapt," as Halos changed but the way I've always approached it was that I'm either going to figure it out or wait for the next Halo title to really pick it back up again... I've had issues "getting gud," in Halo titles, so to speak. I was pretty decent at CE, gud at 2, pretty trashy at 3 (not horrible), pretty trashy at Reach (borderline average), gud at 4, and I've been the best on 5. As such sprint has never seemed to impact what my skill level is going to be in a Halo title. But the lack of sprint did half-way bore me to death (ESPECIALLY ON BIG TEAM) in Halo 3.

And to address your points...

-Weapons still spawn on maps in Arena... Here to stay for the most part.

-Warzone spawns are pretty much even... They're reminiscent of spawns in OG Halo on Blood Gultch as a matter of fact.

-Grenades don't affect gameplay very much that's why they're just equipment- as such picking them up rarely results in anything that could be considered game changing. Perks or no perks, picking up a grenade is typically an afterthought/subconscious type of action.

So to me, two movement speeds is simply more realistic... Common sense dictates that Spartans SHOULD be able to maneuver faster when the situation calls for it. Also it matches canon- Just pick up and read any Halo lore featuring Spartans engaging in combat... Every Halo novel depicts Spartans that RUN only when they HAVE TO. So that's it- adding a sense of verisimilitude to a science fiction story is not only great way to help Halo feel just a little bit more real but it's also a way for 343i to stay honest regarding Halo canon.
Oh, then why do you have it in your GT? I'm guessing that it must be totally unrelated? I don't play competitively anymore, that was back during Halo 2 and Halo 3. I'm interested in being better at other things in life, I mostly play games for fun now. I strive to win, but all I really care about is having a good game. I enjoy a good challenge, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered learning how to play Halo 5, but now that I have--most of it just isn't fun to me. There are still great game modes that are missing. Riftball and Pound Town are awesome applications of Halo 5's movement system, but elsewhere--why was this a numbered title? Anyway, what was the problem with Big Team Battle in Halo 3? I'm pretty sure that I played that the most in that title, and I thought that it was really fun. I mean, there were vehicles, teleporters, and mancannons. Wasn't there Big Team Heavies? So much chaos and destruction.

  • Right, now, but they weren't a thing in Halo 4, and that was after five games. They came back because it was a total sin. Unrelated, but there should be a Classic Firefight playlist with weapon spawns on the map.
  • My understanding of the term "even starts" concerns consistent starting loadouts. Am I mistaken? As for Warzone spawns, have you ever been killfarmed--or done some killfarming? If a team knows what they're doing, and ultimately possesses more skill/co-ordination, then Warzone can become a completely unbalanced experience. Outside of that, I usually don't chose a REQ when I'm spawning in, because I've been spawn-killed more than enough times. And then there's the problem with how clunky the REQ station can be, but I digress. I've had a ton of bad spawns in Arena, which are more of a problem than they were in classic Halo titles because of the lower TTK.
  • Grenades don't--what? So, sticking a Warthog with a Plasma Grenade doesn't affect gameplay very much? Using a Splinter Grenade to disable an enemy Wraith so that you can close the distance and board it, doesn't really impact the gameplay? Nadeshots don't give you a better chance to win in a 2 on 1 situation? Like--WUT!? Are you serious? lol I honestly can't tell. What I'm getting at is that your statement about sprint staying because it's been in three games now is unfounded.
So, expectation, lore, and immersion are why "sprint is both necessary and beneficial" for Halo?

This is a video game: gameplay is what matters, not realism. Halo is a military sci-fi FPS franchise, so what seems more realistic to me, is military themes, and enemies that bleed. Where's the blood? Why doesn't anyone salute Commander Palmer? Common sense dictates that you can't expect to run and shoot accurately, or jump/fall without missing a shot. Sci-fi. Could you describe how thrusters that maneuver a 500 pound Spartan the way that they do in Halo 5 work? What's realistic about that much weight, smashing into a wall at such speeds, and not even having your aim shake? I mean, if we're going to go to the lore, then weren't Spartans able to fire while sprinting? In Halo 5's campaign, why is it that enemies can move as fast as I can while sprinting, and still fire unlimited ammo? (Soldiers, omg--Soldiers. Prometheans still aren't fun to fight.) Are Spartan Abilities cannon outside of Halo 5?
Sprint makes Halo a lot quicker and forces you to be a lot more skilled with your shots. If we didn't have sprint it would be very difficult to cross some of the more baron sections of particular maps without being shot and there is no way in hell you could get people to run into traps such as throwing a splinter grenade into a door way. Besides, if we are going forward in time it means that the armour that the UNSC makes is going to get better. Not worse. I don't thing that they are going to stop their spartans from getting places faster and the Spartans are not just going to forget how to run.
Uh, no, a longer TTK forces you to be more skilled with your shots. Halo 5's aim assist and bullet magnetism are annoying. Sniper Rifles are a joke, they're way too easy to use. Swipesnipe r done!

Man, I got so many people with traps in classic Halo. It was so nice when they couldn't escape.
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Jeez, id have given anything for sprint in two betrayals.
Jumpin' Jimminy Jones Jehoshaphat, do you honestly believe that the One would limit the developers as much as the original XBox did?
I never said anything about the Xbox one limiting capabilities, I was just highlighting my opinion on how I would of liked sprint in that mission.
Dinho239 wrote:
Dinho239 wrote:
Dinho239 wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Dinho239 wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Dinho239 wrote:
so then you prefer a pay to win Halo without sprint, you really care more about sprint than that Halo is almost becoming a pay to win???
I want both, sprint and Reqs/MTs, removed from future iterations.
But if somebody were to put a gun to my head and forced me to choose between the two of them, I'd rather have sprint gone and Reqs/MTs stay than the other way around.
Reqs/MTs don't affect me in campaign. Sprint does.
how does sprint affects in campaign??? is not like someone is forcing you to use it or anything.
Sprint affects level design, enemy AI and weapon balance. All of them are relevant in campaign. You can't avoid them just by not spriting.

Levels need to be more wide and stretched, so sprinting players don't get stuck on objects. That makes a lot of campaign levels dull, being either a long corridor or a vast and empty plane. AI needs to be programmed with a player's peak performance in mind, so they usually are just as fast as sprint speed, while still being able to shoot. It also doesn't help that 343 introduced teleporting enemies who can bum-rush you at a moments notice. Meanwhile, when on the offense, you have to decide whether to approach enemies at a slower speed while shooting, missing shots and losing ammo because of the distance (which the infinite-ammo-wielding enemies don't have to worry about) or sprint towards them so you get into range before growing a beard, while constantly getting bombarded by their barrage fire. All this while suffering from the reduced average TTK that was implemented because of sprint.

I actually don't really care what happens in multiplayer. 343 could reduce the multiplayer to one weapon, one map, have blue team stand on the ceiling and moonwalking be the only method of moving. But campaign is the last place I want to see sprint in.
not at all, Reach for me was one of the games with better level design in camaign and it also has the ability to sprint if you want to, also it had one of the best AI in my opinión, what really affects level design is the -Yoinking!- lack of creativity fron 343i, just look at the infinite armor variants in Halo 5, also that they're changing the level, AI design and almost everything else to atract new players from other games, which is a -Yoinking!- terrible idea, they focus on other fans than in keeping the fans they already had, which makes Halo turning into another generic random fps, Reach is a prove that a game can have sprint, and still feel like Halo in everything else. The problema isn't sprint, the problema is that 343i doesn't know how to implement anything the right way in the game.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. Just because you believe something or something is true in your experience does not mean that you can use that to disprove someone else. Unless you can provide evidence that can be agreed on and proven true then you can't try and disprove other people with your opinion.
then do you have evidence that people stop playing just for sprint or that dislike the whole game just for that, I know sprint made some changes to the franchise, but is not the -Yoinking!- end of the games, is just sprint, anyone can tolerate it, and if who doesn't at least tolerate it is just because is bad at playing with the new mechanics and because can't get use to it so tries to change the whole game at his convenience.
No, no one can prove that sprint changed anything until 343 makes another sprintless halo. And even then there are too many variables. But it would be ignorant to say that sprint didn't affect anything, or heavily add to the pile of reasons why people don't like the new games. Using git gud won't work here. We've all adapted to the new game, we play it, and find it much less enjoyable. Try out the halo 5 evolved settings if you think a no sprint halo wouldn't work.
what about MCC, more thanahlf of it's playlists were wihout sprint (Halo CE, 2, 2 anniversary and 3 playlists) and is maybe the least played game today, it has been ignored by almost everyone, and it wasn' for sprint, it was because the terrible rank system, bugs and glitches, and lack of polishing since day one etc, it was basically unplayable at it's launch, I'm not saying that sprint doesn't affect in anything, I know it affects in some areas like map design (also not at all since Halo online had Halo 3 maps that were perfectly playable with sprint) and makes the game more fast paced, but it makes changes, but that doesn't mean it makes damage to the game like other huge issues Halo 5 has.

and if people doesn't like the newer games is for reasons: they don't like it for the other reasons I said before, can't get used to the new mechanics and are bad at playing with them so they want to change it at their convenience, or they're just Bungie fanboys.
so valid reasons you "accept" for not liking newer Halos are:
- game is broken as -Yoink-
- you suck at it
- you're a fanboy

have you ever considered that by the addition of sprint, Halos gameplay has changed in a way that people don't enjoy playing it anymore?
so then how doesn the addition of sprint broke or at least damage the game, I know that the gameplay has changed, but if people doesn't enjoy it is because they don't get used to the new gameplay, if they don't like it they can move to other games instead of trying to change it to their convenience, things always change, and Halo isn't the exception, if Halo had never changed it's gameplay it would have been kept something of the past and maybe it wouldn't be still alive today since everyone would be bored of it to be exactly as every other past game, then it wouldn't be nessesary to buy the newer games if the only thing that changes is the campaign, and it doesn't have any different and new content on it's MP, just try to see it in the perspective of the producers of the game, they need to keep the things fresh and new so people doesn't get bored of it, and if someone doesn't like a franchise just because the gameplay is more fast paced then it's not a true fan, it it doesn't neither improve or damage the game then there's no reason to complain.
Sprinting in halo is what makes the game play faster they have upscale maps to counter for sprint and nearly every fps has sprint now remember when call of duty didn't? Well halo didn't either times are changing people want faster paced games. Though I agree in moderation that they should include gametypes in matchmaking with no sprint for a more classic feel. They shouldn't get rid of sprint entirely they need to keep both sets of fans happy
Why are pro-sprinters talking like every single gamer wants fast paced game? Also, like many times, game can be fast without sprint.
Justima wrote:
Why are pro-sprinters talking like every single gamer wants fast paced game? Also, like many times, game can be fast without sprint.
Like Over watch, Doom and few others I don't remember.
l Jinxed I wrote:
I always make sure to recommend to KEEP sprint in Halo any chance that I get... It's been such a positive change to Halo since it first arrived with Reach and most of us are glad it's permanent now and more than just an armor mod. I see the same couple of guys ensuring this thread keeps on going and going it's a sad and selfish way to "kick a can around," over and over to try and inflate this issue to make it appear way bigger than it actually is or ever was... And no- increasing base speed is not some magical formula that will eradicate sprint or "fix," anything- it would only make Halo worse by making it more BORING like the lack of sprint always has done in much older, dated Halo titles...

The ability to choose between moving fast OR slow is both necessary and beneficial to a fast-paced FPS game like Halo. This thread is like an attention-seeking thing that has gotten way too much exposure thanks to a vocal minority that has chosen to make this one small facet of gameplay in Halo a focal point simply because it isn't their preference. You made your point already so eventually you'll have to let it go... Sprint is in Halo, has been for the past 3 triple-A Halo titles, it's DEFINITELY here to stay.

I sure wouldn't play Halo if sprint was taken out... The sheer boredom of that type of gameplay would be too much for me to put up with. As such I say just the opposite of the title of this thread- removing sprint would actually make Halo no longer feel like Halo.
I'm honestly surprised hearing this come from you.

But seeing as how you have no base for this statement, you opinion is pointless. CSGO is the top FPS game, and it doesn't have sprint. Halo formerly did not have sprint, and it was also at the top. Guess what happened. Not saying sprint is the sole reason.

Wow.
Just like the rest of the vocal minority against sprint- just write off anyone's opinion as "pointless," if it doesn't coincide with your own opinion. Halo is not CSGO. I don't think CSGO is any good anyway, but the comparison is bleak and vague at best. I wish I could say that I was surprised to hear you discounting others' opinions the way these pro sprinters have been... But coming from you I'm honestly not surprised at all. (Though telling someone to "smash [their] monitor," was actually a bit over-the-top... Even for you- the guy just doesn't agree with you about sprint so get over it already)
You don't like csgo, did we ask? I'm pretty sure he just stated its the top FPS, which it is if you check out its sales and viewership on twitch. And your claims are just as baseless as his, there's quite a bit of evidence pointing to anti sprint being a large part of the population around halo 4 that voted for no sprint in polls. suddenly they're gone and pro sprint is winning 50% of the polls and halo 5 has a very low player count. That dosn't seem like a vocal minority to me. That seems quite a bit like a main fanbase that was alienated by the devs.
Woah there, those are statistics you're tossing around that you cannot back up because they're made up... Pro sprint ALWAYS won in the polls and everyone that I've ever seen and participated in indicated that the pro sprint side won with a slam dunk.

I'm not against anti-sprinters... I do want sprint to stay, yet at the same time I understand what many of you want and would rather have in Halo... I do think that be boring and would even hurt Halo by lowering the population so naturally I just want sprint to stay in Halo games. What I do not appreciate would pro sprinters is the way they GROSSLY try to over-inflate this issue in an effort to gain more exposure than this issue genuinely deserves.

I too have issues with Halo titles- but I wait my turn and express them in respectful ways... I like to hear what others think on the issue- I do not aggressively undercut and undervalue opinions when other people simple do not agree with me (A STARK contrast to the way pro sprinters have approached this issue). I don't sit here and try to perpetuate a thread to make it grow WAY bigger than the life of an average thread in an effort to make the issue appear larger than it really is. I express my opinions peacefully in the Halo Community Feedback system and expect that others may not actually see things the way that I see them. For those things I just went over, I don't appreciate or respect how so many pro-sprinters have conducted themselves regarding this issue.
How long have you been around here for? This set of polls had come up hundreds of times by now
That's Reddit... Got any Waypoint polls to speak of?
That Reddit post lied about the data anyway.

And no, absolutely not- that, "Waypoint poll," that Reddit user misquoted wasn't actually, "linked," to a poll. It was linked to a video about a poll that apparently no longer exists... That Reddit user incorrectly quoted that poll (including the question of the poll AND the responses in that poll) and completely left out the fact that in the video (according to the YouTube narrarator) that poll was still less than a day old. That is a completely and totally bogus way to try to use data.
No, he rephrased how the original post worded it, but the numbers are still corect, in case you weren't aware waypoint got a new site and that poll was on the old one, meaning it no longer exists. It's not our problem that you haven't been with the community long enough to know that, and there are still two polls from other sites there, waypoint isn't the only or even the most popular halo forum.
Omg "it's not our problem..." like just stop it... I've been on Waypoint since it started kid, please. My point still stands that the poll no longer exists so quoting something that no longer exists is actually indeed part of the problem. That poll was one day old in the video so it's not even close to being definitive about anything AT ALL. The poll combines two separate mechanics of the game- sprint AND flinch with the question and every response in that poll having a mandatory tie in with FLINCH. That Reddit user intentionally excluded that information, along with the fact that that poll was merely a day old at the time of that video (That's NOT "rephrasing," anything, it's intentionally changing the data by lying about the poll).

Those poll results are a) LIED ABOUT by the Reddit user that incorrectly cited the poll, b) inconclusive as the poll had just began at the time of that video, and c) the poll is not even something that can be cited as it disappeared when Waypoint transitioned so it CANNOT be cited as evidence at all.... This Reddit guy cannot try to use a video about the poll when it was only a day old- excluding all the information he did is misleading and wrong to try and present data in that manner. There are many reasons to support that this Reddit user lied by improperly citing data so that guys entire post is therefore defunct, null and void. There is nothing there to support that people want sprint removed, it's just another vain attempt to over-inflate this issue by anti sprinters. Btw if someone did what that Reddit user did where I got my degree the honor council would have seen them kicked out the university... Intentionally falsifying data like that to try to bloster ones claim is a, "Nono," in academia and in the working world. That's because it's dishonorable to lie in the first place but to do it to try and deceive people by falsifying data like that Reddit User did in the post is even worse.
Justima wrote:
Why are pro-sprinters talking like every single gamer wants fast paced game? Also, like many times, game can be fast without sprint.
Like Over watch, Doom and few others I don't remember.
Doom is ridiculously fast... I like Overwatch's pace.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 492
  4. 493
  5. 494
  6. 495
  7. 496
  8. ...
  9. 830