Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 829
Hav0k3 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
Thank you.
You do realize that we are not old guys afraid of change, sprint is not "evolution" and do u know what would happen if we stopped buying this game? Halo 5 hasn't had amazing sales bro. We stop buying the game = less games sold = less money in 343 and Microsoft's pockets. This is not nonsense. We never asked for change because Halo was FINE the way it was. Why change something that worked for so long???? Its like having your world famous recipe at a restaurant and everyone comes to have it. However, you change it even though there no complaints. Many people didn't like the new recipe and went away to other restaurants. See? This is what sprint did to Halo, and it must be removed.
Putting any drop in sales that people have seen in Halo and putting that as a direct result of you being able to sprint is ridiculous.
those other Halo games were great for their time, but they are boring and slow now. Competitive? Yes, at their time. But Halo 5 is an entirely new game experience that is ALSO very competitive. Just adjust your play style and figure it out. You can't blame every issue with this game on being able to sprint or not.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
No, sprint is still a problem, one that we've been dealing with for the better part of a decade. If you're truly curious as to why sprint is looked down on, I'll explain if you'd like. I won't argue, but if you ask questions I'll inform you of the answers.

Better yet, maybe visit the Team Beyond forums, because many of the more skilled players frequent there and know the franchise's gameplay inside and out and could probably explain it better than most people here. Though just the same as here, you're best of asking questions to become informed rather than arguing why one side is right or wrong because they're probably fed up with arguments like that. Many of them would likely be fine with answering the questions you have, possibly in great detail.
I've seen the arguments against it. I think they are weak and very subjective. There is a small group of players that they feel that their way of play is superior to all others. While not acknowledging that the gamer population as a whole do not think like them. I'm not talking Halo players, I'm talking every player that plays shooters period. If sprint were really disliked that much it would not be in COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Go to any gaming website and post that you want Battlefield to remove sprint as see what happens. Not having sprint is not what makes Halo, Halo. What separates Halo from most others is shots to get a kill due to shields and motion sensor(which is not more like other games , but that's another conversation). Halo compared to every other shooter takes a lot longer to get a kill and thus a wider skill gap. The only other game that comes close is Plants Vs Zombies garden Warfare with its TTKs. As we all know sprint was in Reach, It was in 4, now 5. It will be in 6. Count on it. But they cn still give you something to play as I have stated with a single gametype. But even a suggestion to ADD content people have issues with. how many games will they make with sprint before this dies? will it be H6, Will it be H7? H5 was designed with input for PRO players. They obviously wanted sprint otherwise it would not be in the game as seeing how this game caters to them. Go to other game sites and chat with people and see what they say about what separates COD from Halo. I have spent quite a bit of time on other sites discussing games. Nobody every EVER sites sprint being added as to why they don't play. They site, it takes too long to kill, they site the radar. they site the incredible lack of balance with weapons of prior games. NO I'm not speaking for every single gamer. My point is, neither is anybody else on here. If sprint were that big of deal H4 would not have sold the millions it has sold. H5 would not have sold the millions it has sold.
I'm sorry but Halo 4 had absolutely no legs when it came to launch. The reason it wound up 3-4 million copies short of Halo 3 was because its multiplayer was absolute trash and the campaign, which was really good in my opinion, went over people's heads. Sprint ruined it. It was unbalanced. Halo 5 didn't have great sales either. See what sprint does?
"Halo 5 didn't have great sales either"

What the hell are you talking about?
Sprint is definitely needed for campaigns... you know all those achievements for completing an enormous level without using ANY VEHICLES? Imagine how long that would take without sprint (looking at you Halo 1: Mission 2 "Halo", and Halo 5: Mission 3 "Glassed")
Hav0k3 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
Thank you.
You do realize that we are not old guys afraid of change, sprint is not "evolution" and do u know what would happen if we stopped buying this game? Halo 5 hasn't had amazing sales bro. We stop buying the game = less games sold = less money in 343 and Microsoft's pockets. This is not nonsense. We never asked for change because Halo was FINE the way it was. Why change something that worked for so long???? Its like having your world famous recipe at a restaurant and everyone comes to have it. However, you change it even though there no complaints. Many people didn't like the new recipe and went away to other restaurants. See? This is what sprint did to Halo, and it must be removed.
Putting any drop in sales that people have seen in Halo and putting that as a direct result of you being able to sprint is ridiculous.
those other Halo games were great for their time, but they are boring and slow now. Competitive? Yes, at their time. But Halo 5 is an entirely new game experience that is ALSO very competitive. Just adjust your play style and figure it out. You can't blame every issue with this game on being able to sprint or not.
Sprint is just ONE of the reasons H5 had a lack in sales. They are still great. Sprint absolutely changed the core formula for the worse. Didn't you hear everyone complaining about it when Halo Reach came out with it. That also failed to top H3 sales despite it being Bungie's last game. Sprint has caused the downfall of Halo by taking away its uniqueness compared to other shooters. The facts are right here my friend. Accept it.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
I still don't get the hate for sprint. It is so trivial. "sprint allows players to run away" My answer to that is so what? Of all things that can be wrong with a game. Sprint should be the least of your concerns. how about disconnect from the server? that's a real issue. EVERY SINGLE TIMEI start up Halo 5 I get "REQs not available" message. It does not matter what internet I'm on. IT Does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I have to go and "Test Multiplayer Connection" in the xbox settings. Once I do It then immediately works. That's a real problem. Horrible team balancing in match making. That's a REAL problem. Organized parties playing randoms. THATS a real problem. Sprint? that's not a problem.
No, sprint is still a problem, one that we've been dealing with for the better part of a decade. If you're truly curious as to why sprint is looked down on, I'll explain if you'd like. I won't argue, but if you ask questions I'll inform you of the answers.

Better yet, maybe visit the Team Beyond forums, because many of the more skilled players frequent there and know the franchise's gameplay inside and out and could probably explain it better than most people here. Though just the same as here, you're best of asking questions to become informed rather than arguing why one side is right or wrong because they're probably fed up with arguments like that. Many of them would likely be fine with answering the questions you have, possibly in great detail.
I've seen the arguments against it. I think they are weak and very subjective. There is a small group of players that they feel that their way of play is superior to all others. While not acknowledging that the gamer population as a whole do not think like them. I'm not talking Halo players, I'm talking every player that plays shooters period. If sprint were really disliked that much it would not be in COD and Battlefield and Battlefront. Go to any gaming website and post that you want Battlefield to remove sprint as see what happens. Not having sprint is not what makes Halo, Halo. What separates Halo from most others is shots to get a kill due to shields and motion sensor(which is not more like other games , but that's another conversation). Halo compared to every other shooter takes a lot longer to get a kill and thus a wider skill gap. The only other game that comes close is Plants Vs Zombies garden Warfare with its TTKs. As we all know sprint was in Reach, It was in 4, now 5. It will be in 6. Count on it. But they cn still give you something to play as I have stated with a single gametype. But even a suggestion to ADD content people have issues with. how many games will they make with sprint before this dies? will it be H6, Will it be H7? H5 was designed with input for PRO players. They obviously wanted sprint otherwise it would not be in the game as seeing how this game caters to them. Go to other game sites and chat with people and see what they say about what separates COD from Halo. I have spent quite a bit of time on other sites discussing games. Nobody every EVER sites sprint being added as to why they don't play. They site, it takes too long to kill, they site the radar. they site the incredible lack of balance with weapons of prior games. NO I'm not speaking for every single gamer. My point is, neither is anybody else on here. If sprint were that big of deal H4 would not have sold the millions it has sold. H5 would not have sold the millions it has sold.
I'm sorry but Halo 4 had absolutely no legs when it came to launch. The reason it wound up 3-4 million copies short of Halo 3 was because its multiplayer was absolute trash and the campaign, which was really good in my opinion, went over people's heads. Sprint ruined it. It was unbalanced. Halo 5 didn't have great sales either. See what sprint does?
"Halo 5 didn't have great sales either"

What the hell are you talking about?
Lowest selling mainline Halo game in the franchise. What the Hell are YOU talking about?
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
It doesn't solve the problem because it IS STILL THERE. Take it away. Now.
Wow, really great argument. Totally sold me! You are a visionary in the art of formulating a well-drawn topic of discussion.

Provide some constructive material rather than stating "Take it away. Now."
I have done more constructive criticizing that you. Please step up and give useful input. Taking away sprint will help.
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
what this guy said ^^^^^^^........
Nooga wrote:
Id rather keep sprint.
Same. I honestly don't think I would do so well without it! XD
Hav0k3 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitve halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
OH MY GOD! SHUT UP! When is someone going to have an original argument for or against sprint??
Why is the OPTION to sprint so upsetting to you people?? you don't have to use it. When you purists start whining about sprint and the other abilities, you just come across as old guys afraid of change. Evolve or get left behind. I'm really getting sick of all these threads. If you're so disgusted with Halo and the direction it's going, stop playing it. Seriously. Stop buying it. Stop playing. Stop coming to the forums posting the same nonsense over and over. The best way to get your point across would be to round up and organize the rest of the purists and boycott the game.
Thank you.
You do realize that we are not old guys afraid of change, sprint is not "evolution" and do u know what would happen if we stopped buying this game? Halo 5 hasn't had amazing sales bro. We stop buying the game = less games sold = less money in 343 and Microsoft's pockets. This is not nonsense. We never asked for change because Halo was FINE the way it was. Why change something that worked for so long???? Its like having your world famous recipe at a restaurant and everyone comes to have it. However, you change it even though there no complaints. Many people didn't like the new recipe and went away to other restaurants. See? This is what sprint did to Halo, and it must be removed.
Putting any drop in sales that people have seen in Halo and putting that as a direct result of you being able to sprint is ridiculous.
those other Halo games were great for their time, but they are boring and slow now. Competitive? Yes, at their time. But Halo 5 is an entirely new game experience that is ALSO very competitive. Just adjust your play style and figure it out. You can't blame every issue with this game on being able to sprint or not.
Yeah. I can't play Halo CE anymore because the missions hurt my soul. XD
I really don't think sprint by itself would be a big deal. I think the balanced guns along with sprint is what really makes Halo 5 play completely different from the original trilogy.

In the original trilogy, a lot of emphasis was put on your utility. If you were skilled with your utility, it didn't matter what gun your opponent had (unless it was one of the power weapons), you could have a chance to win the firefight. In Halo 5, with every gun having it's own niche, it becomes more of a game of equipping yourself with the best loadout, rather than getting really good with aiming your utility. It completely changes what is rewarded in terms of skill. Instead of one teammate grabbing a power weapon and the rest holding a strong position on the map, it has become a race to the SMG or Storm Rifles (just using these as examples to help make my point) because they are the easiest to use, as long as you are in range. Not to mention with the AR that is now a formidable weapon, unlike it was in the original trilogy, it's my opinion that superior skill with precision weapons is rewarded less in this game.
Seven save you friends
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
Have you not been on Halo forums long? People have been been giving detailed, in-depth explanations supporting a lack of sprint and how sprint negatively affects the game for years now. You're telling me you've heard none of them?
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
It doesn't solve the problem because it IS STILL THERE. Take it away. Now.
Wow, really great argument. Totally sold me! You are a visionary in the art of formulating a well-drawn topic of discussion.

Provide some constructive material rather than stating "Take it away. Now."
I have done more constructive criticizing that you. Please step up and give useful input. Taking away sprint will help.
OBJECTION!! Sprint is amazing. It helps so much and gives a depth to Halo that we haven't had before. Just look at Halo reach. It was so much good. Silly how one little innovative mechanic can completely make people lose their minds..
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
Have you not been on Halo forums long? People have been been giving detailed, in-depth explanations supporting a lack of sprint and how sprint negatively affects the game for years now. You're telling me you've heard none of them?
I haven't seen a good one and I've been reading them since 2010, mate. The OP made claims, he failed to support them.
Gandalfur wrote:
Halo 6 could be the game EVERYONE wants by removing sprint in campaign (yes because who the -Yoink- needs TWO movement speeds in campaign????) and
arena multiplayer at first I thought a no sprint playlist might be optimal but hear me out. I pretty sure the new spartan abilities (save -Yoinking!- spartan charge) would be GENERALLY accepted in a halo game if they werent accompanied by sprint it would feel more competitive more strategic and would also still be recognizable to the fine tuned experience we got in halo 5. Warzone and customs would be a whole other beast entirely retaining ALL the features that made halo 5 successful would keep warzone great and would also allow more options for custom games, for those people that actually wanted to play in a sprint arena type setting they could actually fire up the in game custom game lobby adjust the filter and be good to go! lets face it, sprint has NO place in competitive halo and to argue that it does would just be absurd. this would allow arena maps to continue to be designed the PROPER way and please the vets and basically everyone whos willing to give it a chance and you wouldnt lose much of your sprint loving audience at all because there would still be sprint in the game it would just take a backseat!
Thoughts? :3
A: Since the anti-sprint camp is only a section of the community it would not be the game everyone wants.
B: There has never been a clear answer as to why people think two geared movement isn't 'competitive'. Nor do I consider competitiveness to be the be all and end all of Halo. It has a role, but that isn't all halo is as h5 has shown to some degree.
C: You call any position other than yours 'absurd' though you fail to demonstrate how.
D: Loudly proclaiming that sprint has no place in 'competitive' halo is a claim, not an argument. You need to back up your claim if it is to be taken seriously.
E: Halo 5 has map design problems, but they don't really center around sprint. They center around size, spawning, blind corners, and lack of variety.
F: As a Halo veteran with no distaste for sprint, this argument form ignorance that the loss of population overtime is due to sprint that has been flooding the forum of late is getting tiresome. You still have nothing to base the claim on. It is still the equivalent of walking into your kitchen in the morning and seeing a plate of French toast and assuming a unicorn with a glittering mane made it for you.
Fact ^
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
Have you not been on Halo forums long? People have been been giving detailed, in-depth explanations supporting a lack of sprint and how sprint negatively affects the game for years now. You're telling me you've heard none of them?
I haven't seen a good one and I've been reading them since 2010, mate. The OP made claims, he failed to support them.
Oh, so you've seen them, you just don't understand them.
Gandalfur wrote:
Snip..
If you truly believe this, download my pro slayer game type on customs and play with up to 12 friends and prove you like it. No changing speed nor jump or any base traits. If you don't, you're a troll and bored. Get going, 24 hrs before I report you for trolling.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
but thats the thing we are still keeping sprint, its there its still an option and if you wanted to play with it you could play warzone or custom games. thing is halos 1-3 were fine without sprint in the campaign and the arena aspect. What does sprint bring to those gamemodes that improve on the experience and dont just take away from it?
I notice you still haven't attempted to address my points and now you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. Support your claim if you want it to be taken seriously. If you want sprint removed give a well reasoned and supported argument other wise you are just wasting my time. Oh and randomly implying that sprint takes away from game modes is meaningless drivel without actual support.
Have you not been on Halo forums long? People have been been giving detailed, in-depth explanations supporting a lack of sprint and how sprint negatively affects the game for years now. You're telling me you've heard none of them?
I haven't seen a good one and I've been reading them since 2010, mate. The OP made claims, he failed to support them.
Oh, so you've seen them, you just don't understand them.
Yeah. Nice attempt to deflect, kiddo. You can't support your claim that sprint is bad so you attempt a personal attack. Thank you for illustrating that you don't have a leg to stand on though.
no
it will not
Can we please go a week without this topic being in the top threads. It's getting old and Sprint isn't going anywhere so don't bother. Don't like sprint then don't use it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 829