Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 516
  4. 517
  5. 518
  6. 519
  7. 520
  8. ...
  9. 840
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
The reason why don't take their opinion seriously.
Jejshy wrote:
if you dont like sprint dont use it
That literally doesn't solve the problem in any way.

"Don't like world hunger, stop eating"

Makes no sense.
I liked halo when there was no sprinting involved. Yes it makes the campaign longer but it doesn't ruin it that much.
Jejshy wrote:
if you dont like sprint dont use it
That literally doesn't solve the problem in any way.

"Don't like world hunger, stop eating"

Makes no sense.
This is fundamentally flawed. World hunger IS a problem. You're comparing apples to oranges. And its an objective opinion that sprint is a "problem"
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
It proves that you can get kills without buffalo charging or killing someone with Supermans entrance.
Naqser wrote:
Jejshy wrote:
if you dont like sprint dont use it
Why? Does all the effects of sprint dissapear?

I disliked personal Ordnance in Halo 4, would it the effects of it for other players have been nullified if I had willingly not used it?

Would other players not spawn with their own personal created custom loadout if I hadn't created my own?

If I disliked the Splaser, should I not pick it up at all no matter thw outcome or situation?
It's true, it puts you at an definitive disadvantage to not use sprint when everyone else is using it. There simply isn't any logic to not using it simply because you don't want it to be in the game
Herecy wrote:
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
It proves that you can get kills without buffalo charging or killing someone with Supermans entrance.
It can also show that you have skill with the weapon being used.
Jejshy wrote:
if you dont like sprint dont use it
That literally doesn't solve the problem in any way.

"Don't like world hunger, stop eating"

Makes no sense.
This is fundamentally flawed. World hunger IS a problem. You're comparing apples to oranges. And its an objective opinion that sprint is a "problem"
There are people who don't think world hunger is a problem. Population control, overpopulation, diehard free market believers, etc.

I also think you're looking for the word "subjective" there, not "objective".
Herecy wrote:
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
It proves that you can get kills without buffalo charging or killing someone with Supermans entrance.
But if your just doing that I swat you're likely to lose. They are just additional tactics to use. Halo isn't just about getting as many kills as possible with precision weapons and only precision weapons, no mater the game mode.
Herecy wrote:
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
It proves that you can get kills without buffalo charging or killing someone with Supermans entrance.
But if your just doing that I swat you're likely to lose. They are just additional tactics to use. Halo isn't just about getting as many kills as possible with precision weapons and only precision weapons, no mater the game mode.
But I think Spartan Abilities contradict the objective of SWAT, which is to kill an enemy by shooting enemy's head.
Justima wrote:
Herecy wrote:
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
Isn't the point of swat no shields and insta-kill headshots? There's multiple ways to get kills, why should everyone be restrained to only shooting?
It proves that you can get kills without buffalo charging or killing someone with Supermans entrance.
But if your just doing that I swat you're likely to lose. They are just additional tactics to use. Halo isn't just about getting as many kills as possible with precision weapons and only precision weapons, no mater the game mode.
But I think Spartan Abilities contradict the objective of SWAT, which is to kill an enemy by shooting enemy's head.
Yes that is the main focus, doesn't mean they should be removed. Melee has always been a part of swat, or snipers. Spartan abilities are an evolution of that. And they are most easily countered in swat as well. You are more likely to be killed trying to ground pound in swat than actually landing a successful around pound.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show

So, were you ever going to reply to me?
I just like Halo...sprint or not, I'm happy I have a new game. I'm also really not trying to read this entire thread to form an opinion lol. Agree with me or disagree with me, I'll still play everyday.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show

Not sure if you witnessed the revival of this thread. When the debate was over, anti-sprinters stopped posting on this thread. They never bumped this thread to get attention. It was pro-sprinters who posted comments and started new discussion, like "I like sprint," or "Why is it still alive???" They are the one who bumped this thread to the top and started new discussion with anti-sprinters. If those people didn't comment, this thread would have been dead long ago.
lLockout wrote:
think ever since halo had sprint it has been going down hill.
Now don't get me wrong, I got into Halo at reach, so that is my favorite game at heart, but I do have some gripes with the introduction of sprint.
This has led the franchise to go into an awkward position and not creating very memorable gameplay or even notable.
Halo 4, the next step in the franchise made a more CallofDuty like game, let's not lie to ourselves, it was COD. And I like COD, but it shouldn't be in halo.
Listen sprint isn't an inherently bad mechanic. This is not what this about. It's about why HALO should not have sprint because HALO is a very different game, let me explain.

Halo is a bear bones game, it's built to be simple, becuase when you and I enter the halo arena, we are equals. It comes down to map control, grenades, and proper shooting. halo is construted of a triangle of 3 things, the devs call it the halo triangle. It's made of grenades, MeLee, and guns.
You should always be able to do any of those things at anytime to dispose of your enemies.
But with halo 5 and the "enhanced mobility" you have to put so many more things in the equation.
You have sprinting, sliding, boosting, clamber, groundpound, Spartan charge. It's too much

Now you could say, that is just more to think about, but it becomes random, and unpredictable, and there's no way to create a classic Playlist because the weapons are scaled to a quick environment and most gun fights are now mid to long range, so CQB has been totally erased from the question.

So as you can see, it's not that halo 5's engine is bad. But instead its transformed into a whole other game. It's NOT HALO. the fact that Sprint is in halo and has caused this much stirring just says why this was not a good idea. It's doing numbers on the community. And we just want a game where old and new fans can come together and play a game that we love. That's all.
Saying "Ever since Halo added sprint, it's been going down hill" does not mean that sprint is the cause for Halo declining. There would need to be a great deal of effort given to prove that this is in fact the reason for Halo's decline. So as of now, it is only your assumption (and anyone who also agrees with this)

The DMR didn't appear until Halo Reach, the same game that sprint was added, and has been in every Halo game since. You'd probably laugh at my face if I really tried to make that argument as the reason for the decline, wouldn't you?

While yes, Halo started declining when sprint appeared, you guys also fail to consider the fact that:

- The popularity of Call of Duty began to explode, and eventually overtook Halo as MLG's primary console game.

- A very large amount of the active Halo population were in college at the time of Halo Reach's release and either had stopped gaming, or played less often in general - and the variables go on and on with this one, with some gamers never returning to Halo after college, some finding other games that they got into, etc.

- In regards to my last point, with a large portion of that generation leaving, the younger generation grew up at a time where cod was the coolest game out there, so that's where they went. You wouldn't believe how many times I've posted a clip on social media and people ask "what game is this?" - CoD is all they know and all they've ever played.

- Sony has grown in popularity as well with many Xbox users switching over.

- As the times go on, Halo has had a massively growing pool of competition when it comes to other games out there.

Even with these few examples I listed, you guys think that removing sprint will somehow take everything back to the way it was? You think the ones who simply got older and decided to find other hobbies only did so because sprint was added to the game? There are just a mind numbing number of variables that played and may have played a part in Halo's decline, but it is silly to assume that sprint is the leading cause, only because it started when sprint was added to the game.

For me personally, I was one of those who left/Played less when Reach came out, and it was really upsetting to not enjoy the newer Halo's as much as 2/3. Halo 5 brought me back into Halo full force and it is once again the only game I play. H5 has sprint, but so does Reach and H4 - I hated H4 and moderately enjoyed Reach, and sprint was never the reason I played those games less than the previous ones. Like I said thats my personal reason. So I'm not using it as an argument. I actually understand some of the arguments against sprint even though I disagree with them, but I do not think it's valid to say that it's the reason for the decline of the series.
That's a very good and well thought out way to put things. Pretty much everything you said is valid.
Could we please stop the discussion about why this thread is alive (and the fact that it is alive)? The reality is that there's no one group to blame (or thank, depending where you stand), and it is a combination of
  • active discussion in the thread
  • the mod team redirecting sprint topics to this thread
  • people commenting the thread being alive/not locked/having a high post count
This thread would've died if there wasn't a significant amount of active interest in sprint on the forums. This thread would've died like threads before it had we not redirected traffic to it. (It likely would not have died had people wanting it to die not posted in it as, despite the steady flow of spam, the frequency of those posts is not significant. So, unfortunately we don't get to appreciate the irony of that.)

But right now, it's here, alive, and there has never been a point at which anybody who doesn't like it couldn't just have ignored it. So, let the people who want to discuss sprint discuss sprint, and anybody who isn't happy with that arrangement can ignore the discussion. After all, the great thing about forums is that you don't have to comment on threads you're not interested in.
Herecy wrote:
I agree, however it should be removed from game modes such as SWAT and Breakout... Why?

No Spartan Charging, No Ground Pounding from Outta Nowhere (insert Randy Orton meme here)

Also No Meleeing - Its a cheap kill.
That wont help because the design of the maps are far too large to work with the original
tsassi wrote:
Could we please stop the discussion about why this thread is alive (and the fact that it is alive)? The reality is that there's no one group to blame (or thank, depending where you stand), and it is a combination of
  • active discussion in the thread
  • the mod team redirecting sprint topics to this thread
  • people commenting the thread being alive/not locked/having a high post count
This thread would've died if there wasn't a significant amount of active interest in sprint on the forums. This thread would've died like threads before it had we not redirected traffic to it. (It likely would not have died had people wanting it to die not posted in it as, despite the steady flow of spam, the frequency of those posts is not significant. So, unfortunately we don't get to appreciate the irony of that.)

But right now, it's here, alive, and there has never been a point at which anybody who doesn't like it couldn't just have ignored it. So, let the people who want to discuss sprint discuss sprint, and anybody who isn't happy with that arrangement can ignore the discussion. After all, the great thing about forums is that you don't have to comment on threads you're not interested in.
Maybe you shouldnt have changed the title because you thought it was relevant. There was already a Sprint topic and it died but because of the original title, that is what got the attention.
JIMLUKE104 wrote:
Wrong, you need two movement speeds to add variation.
1. Why?

2. You don't need sprint to accomplish this.
Changes encounters.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 516
  4. 517
  5. 518
  6. 519
  7. 520
  8. ...
  9. 840