2. ...
  3. 529
  4. 530
  5. 531
  6. 532
  7. 533
  8. ...
  9. 828
6) Increasing BMS is not the answer for a multitude of reasons I've discussed several times before. The result is still one boring speed no matter what you set it to... And you can't have it set to sprint-like speeds anyway so all the restrictions that come with removing sprint still stand anyway you cut it when you talk about removing it.
6.) You realize that "boring" isn't an actual logical or proper criticism against a universal base movement speed, nor the upsides to its consistency right? And that the logic of not being able to set it to sprint speeds is wrong, given the BMS of any non-sprint Halo in relation to the maps IS sprint speed. You're not moving slower at all. It's a placebo because of the lack of an animation which actually takes away objective restrictions imposed by sprint and its animation, and allows the player to have the freedom to do more actions while fighting.

My friends and I play a certain strain of Halo 5 called "Evolved". Settings designed specifically around no sprint, no ability gameplay. Bar the effects of clamber on maps (Ugh), the buff in movement speed makes you able to travel around the map just as fast if not a little more so than sprint, as if you were constantly sprinting, meaning the speed is still kept. And the best part? You're able to keep your weapon up, crouch jump, strafe, etc, without being bound by any ability's animations all throughout it. In no situation do you put your gun down, unless you die, which, given the powerful nature of the Magnum, can happen pretty easily if you're unskilled.

People don't get the ability to just run off like in vanilla Halo 5. They get punished for that and are much better off fighting because they're able to with the weapon's overall buff. There is no Spartan Charging, but also no risk of double melee rushing occurring with the lack of sprint. The pace is kept high, and much more consistent, since people are dying without any resistance or ability to run, while also being empowered individually off of spawn and being pushed to fight others more with their utility, meaning the cycle of dying and killing remains next to constant and ever-present. To add to it, the strafe acceleration is brought up to the max of 130%, meaning things like the crutch thrust ability aren't needed. Your only savior, and thing you can rely on consistently in a fight is your strafe. Can sure tell you a faster paced Halo 5 without the fluff sure isn't "boring", just because you can't put your gun down to run around at the highest speed you can go.
Yeah this was arguably one of the weakest points out of the 25-30 or so that I made for keeping sprint... I realize that it's just my opinion - and that of many fellow pro sprinters across the board however it's not really a strong argument at all the stand upon in this debate... With regarding to not having sprint, I was really discussing personal preference here... Has to be a little bit better than when someone just says "I like it," or "I don't like it."

I would challenge being told that it's not "logical or proper criticism,"... It's a perfectly logical argument even if it's not an very good one.
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
I personally enjoy sprint. I like how it can speed up games, as well as help people traverse maps faster which opens up the possibility for even larger maps.
Please read some posts before making a dumb response that has already been addressed in detail. Thanks.
Please.let people post their opinion without being a jerk. Thanks.
He's pissed at the poor reasoning for supporting sprint when it was already addressed in depth many times throughout this thread, not necessarily the opinion of liking sprint. Big difference.
He was sharing his thoughts. That was the first time he had posted on the thread. No need to jump right at him. You cant expect people who are new to the thread to go through all 10000+ posts...
He didn't need to venture far to do so however, that's the bigger issue.
Richnj wrote:
And this has been my stance on sprint all along. With SAs it adds more complexity. More layers the players have to learn on order to maximise there potential and enjoyment of the game. Halo was always accessible to a wide audience. Beyond that of those who are already familiar with shooters. Halo as it stands under 343i is off putting to a wider audience because of the extra complexity.
We should celebrate Halo's simplicity. We use to. It was a strength to the franchise. We need to remove the steep learning curve, but that doesn't mean we are creating a shallow depth of game play. If we do this, and bring back split screen, we can start playing with spouses, non gaming buddies, children and bring back Halo Night.
Couldn't have said it better. Simplicity was always Halo's strong suit and was what made it actually accessible, without being overbearing or mindnumbingly
I don;'t get it. You guys say they added sprint and other abilities to cater to a wider audience. to be more accessible to new gamers. but you are saying that it should more accessible witout them?
That doesn't make sense. It is not a consistent agrument.
I actually spoke a little bit about that here and explained why it makes more sense than you may think.

The phrases "less is more" and "quality over quantity" and "easy to learn, hard to master" come to mind.
Matt Spesh wrote:
I personally enjoy sprint. I like how it can speed up games, as well as help people traverse maps faster which opens up the possibility for even larger maps.
Please read some posts before making a dumb response that has already been addressed in detail. Thanks.
When that "opinion" is a regurgitated, garbage non-argument that has been posted over and over again by other people who DID NOT READ ANY OF THE ARGUMENTS BEFOREHAND, I will not be nice about it. This is a discussion, not a mindless contradiction thread. It's a waste of everyone's time. Useless, ignorant posts like that clutter up every single thread on this website. I love people like you who get butt-hurt about how mean people are on internet forums, though. It's adorable.
Oohh aren't you big and mean! *rolls eyes*

You want to actually encourage discussion, don't run people off the first time they post on the thread.

And your post did absolutely nothing to contribute to discussion, so its not like you're any better.

Why would anybody want to come have a discussion here when people like you jump on them like that as soon as they post?

And that is part of what makes a forum a forum, some people just get on the thread and post their thoughts in one post.

And like I said in my previous post, you cant expect someone to go through 10000+ posts when they are and new to the thread.

I love people like you on the internet who thinks its their job to make other people feel like idiots, like it fulfils some sort of self-gratification. It's adorable.
TryHardFan wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
He's pissed at the poor reasoning for supporting sprint when it was already addressed in depth many times throughout this thread, not necessarily the opinion of liking sprint. Big difference.
He was sharing his thoughts. That was the first time he had posted on the thread. No need to jump right at him. You cant expect people who are new to the thread to go through all 10000+ posts...
So then link him to some prior arguments. It's not his job to read through everything. People can just see a title of a thread and post their thoughts, that is part of what makes the internet the internet and a forum a forum
TryHardFan wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
So then link him to some prior arguments. It's not his job to read through everything. People can just see a title of a thread and post their thoughts, that is part of what makes the internet the internet and a forum a forum
Fair enough, if he wishes to respond.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not flame/attack others.

Spoiler:
Show
Oohh aren't you big and mean! *rolls eyes*

You want to actually encourage discussion, don't run people off the first time they post on the thread.

And your post did absolutely nothing to contribute to discussion, so its not like you're any better.

Why would anybody want to come have a discussion here when people like you jump on them like that as soon as they post?

And that is part of what makes a forum a forum, some people just get on the thread and post their thoughts in one post.

And like I said in my previous post, you cant expect someone to go through 10000+ posts when they are and new to the thread.

I love people like you on the internet who thinks its their job to make other people feel like idiots, like it fulfils some sort of self-gratification. It's adorable.
I don't make people feel like idiots. I just point out the self-evident fact that they ARE idiots. I've written my fair share of multi-paragraph responses to idiots like you, so pardon me if I'm not terribly concerned with 343lo kids who come in here, find one similarly vacuous post that they agree with and then REITERATE THE SAME MORONIC SENTIMENT. Why is it that casual players who quite eveidently don't actually CARE that much about the mechanics of this series feel the need to jump into a conversation that has been going on for 6 years without doing any reading themselves? It's a waste of everyone's -Yoinking!- time and it absolutely deserves a sharp response. I've been around Waypoint long enough to know that this kind of thoughtless ignorance is standard around here. I have no patience for it. But yeah, me pointing out the worthlessness of his response, having made plenty of detailed, constructive posts myself is TOTALLY the same thing. /s

Piss off.
Haha so now you're calling me an idiot. Thanks lol.

what does 343lo even mean? Ha

What if he was a newer fan. He didn't quote anyone, he didn't say he agreed with anyone. He simply expressed his feelings.

I wouldn't call most of what you post constructive.

A lot of people don't have any patience for thoughtless anger or calling out either.

Im all for a respectable conversation about sprint, but it seems you're not interested in that. And you don't even knowny stance on sprint.

But whatever lol
Sounds awkward. About as awkward as having to press 3-4 buttons to get to full possible speed in Halo 5, every few seconds.
Now you're over exagerating.
I'm not exaggerating at all. I hold forward, press A to sprint, press X to thrust, down on the left stick to crouch, I then slide, and use LB to jump when I hit the apex of my forward momentum.
I said it is your choice whether to use it defensively or offensively. well now you are given with more options of engagement. Not only that, but there is risk when running away, no recharge, and open to fire. To say it hinder's pace is incorrect. With more options given to engagement, the pace has changed.
Yes, exactly, the pace changes, but it doesn't become faster. It becomes slower. But to that point, nothing that I said concurs with what you said, because as I said, it's not a choice as to whether or not you use it offensively, because you're forced to use it for basic map movement anyway. It's not offensive at that point, and its use for defense is still staggeringly present when it shouldn't be there at all. There is next to no risk when you run, because your enemy can't follow AND shoot you, because to get to you, they'd need to use sprint as well, which means they put their weapon down, which means combat between you and the enemy stops for however long you chase/get chased for. That slows the game's pace, and assuming you get out, rewards you, despite you having every reason to have been killed. Cat and mouse gameplay isn't good for Halo.
Either I crouch or evade to dodge gunfire, clamber on an ledge to gain height, get behind an object to recharge. You can correct yourself. Everything you said about sprint in situations you described completely concurs with my previous statement. all of these circumstances you pointed out reinforces the idea of choice whether it may be used for defensively or offensively. It is a thought process.To say there is no thought process is baffeling on its own because of what you said. With choices, there are decisions to be made.
But the entire point is, you shouldn't be able to correct yourself with these extra abilities. You shouldn't have sprint, clamber or anything else save you bar either your own wit, or strafe and gunskill. It's a thought process to hide behind cover and juke your enemy when you're in a losing situation, sure. It's not a thought process, nor right, when you're able to run, or clamber away. You should not be giving more defensive options to players in a game that you want to set a fast pace for, because preventing the kills from being obtained in that manner rewards the wrong players for the wrong plays and actions. It makes it less punishing, and less skillful.
C'mon man, I answered this. A greater dimension of combat means the rule of engagement is widened. You are given more decisions in how to fight one on one or agasint a whole team when you ahve all of these other abilities. with more defensive, offensive, and counter attack options. It's not muddled. I don't understand how you and others think it is muddled. There is a whole fluidity to it.
Yes, and this insane amount of options with the insane amount of mobility is exactly the issue. It leads to an improper lack of predictability and flow. Where, for example, Halo: CE gives a grounded sense of predictability in its simplicity, a quick pace due to the TTK of weaponry and empowerment, and possesses basic movement options that while rudimentary, are full of depth, Halo 5 gives you next to no predictability, no set pace, and a cluttered set of movement options that can all be achieved by simply allowing the player to move forward with one stick. They provide no depth and only add complexity. Refer to the button combo I need to use to move at the fastest possible speed one can in a simple multiplayer game. I shouldn't need to use four buttons to move forward as fast as I can. There isn't fluidity to that. Just needless complexity.
It may feature the same abilities but the way it is implemented coinciding with it's core gameplay. I can use the same agrument about the previous halo when i comes to other FPS because of the shared game mechanics yet those who argued against the addition in H5 would defend it.You don't seem to like the widened dimension of gameplay. Is it too much for you? it's a legitament question. I fail to understand why people find it so horrible. It's incredibly fluid.
But the thing is, how it's implemented affects core gameplay and makes it not function like it used to. And is it too much? No, I can mechanically handle it, so it's not "too much" physically, but it's literally needless clutter in regards to how it's handled and forced upon you. Too outwardly complex in the name of trying to be accessible. And it's so far from fluid when control's yanked from you every time you perform one of these actions. Thrust will leave you unable to do anything when it's performed, disallowing you from being able to even fire your weapon. Same for slide, which has a delay in which you can begin to regain control over your character. Clamber is the exact same way. You need to face the location to jump up to it, since crouch jumping generally won't work anymore.

You know I could do the equivalent to every single one of these actions, without abilities, on a single joystick, and the accompanying button, without putting down my weapon at all, or having to face a certain arbitrary way to climb for the sake of movement? If the developers would design a game with simple, but depthful controls, you could replace sprint with a proper BMS that just allows you to move forward with no impediments to your combat capabilities, you could replace thrust with a good, solid strafe. You could replace clamber with crouch jumping, and you can just toggle crouch if you for some reason need to lose height. But the thing is, the game isn't designed around simple, but depthful options like that. They're based around crutch maneuvers like that, over learning to do these things by skill, and skill alone.

The thing is, this "widened dimension" of gameplay was ALWAYS there. But it wasn't spoonfed to you. You needed to learn it by experience, rather than just having a button do things for you and without the maps themselves suffering for the sake of making these things super prominent. When you had to crouch jump in the past, you needed to control your camera, your momentum, and when you leaped, so the highest arc of your jump would net you that leap over the ledge you seek to climb. Now? You just hit the button and it's done for you. It's a lazy option. It literally takes all the effort and skill out of the action, and then makes the action irrelevant by being implemented in a ay that screws the map vertically, so your jump height can NEVER get you those leaps by default. You never have to "learn" anything in depth, because it's all given to you.

I just don't get this mass idea of the process now somehow being "streamlined" or "fluid" when it is so incredibly clunky and un-intuitive compared to the tools we were given in the past. It's not only clunky, but the way it's been brought in has made those prior skills next to irrelevant. I know one area in Halo 5 where I need to crouch jump, while using stabilize to reach a ledge, but the thing is, it isn't even the crouch jump that gets me up. It's clamber. Just a constant reminder that depth has been given the sideline in favor of... "this".
Sorry I couldn't write more. No space. >_<

What if he was a newer fan. He didn't quote anyone, he didn't say he agreed with anyone. He simply expressed his feelings.

A lot of people don't have any patience for thoughtless anger or calling out either.

Im all for a respectable conversation about sprint, but it seems you're not interested in that. And you don't even knowny stance on sprint.

But whatever lol
343lo, as in the games 343 has made with "Halo" on the box. lol. I recall him quoting someone. Maybe he edited it, maybe he didn't, and maybe I'm mixing him up in my mind with the literally hundreds of nearly identical 1-2 sentence, useless response posts in this thread alone. So? What useful distinction does that establish? My point stands.

You haven't read most of what I've posted and I do know what your position is on sprint, because I can read. You being easily triggered by blunt posts is your problem.

But whatever lol
343lo, as in the games 343 has made with "Halo" on the box. lol. I recall him quoting someone. Maybe he edited it, mayhbe he didn't, and maybe I'm mixing him up in my mind with the literally hundreds of nearly identical 1-2 sentence, useless response posts in this thread alone. So? What useful distinction does that establish? My point stands.

You haven't read most of what I've posted and I do know what your position is on sprint, because I can read. You being easily triggered by blunt posts is your problem.
I already know quite well what your stance on sprint is....

And is that supposed to be some sort of jab at me for not being able to read? ok....

Theres also a difference between blunt, and know it all.

Youre probably mixing him up with someone else, but youre point doesnt quite stand.

Youre quite easeily triggered too it seems like by anything pro-sprint.
Naqser wrote:
You could tie slide and spartan charge to forward momentum with regular base movement speed if sprint was removed.

And why do we need complexity in the first place?
Like i said. That sounds really awkward in practice. They can test it out but it just seems odd having a base movement and then slide or spartan charge?

What's wrong with complexity? There is a reason why i don't like COD. It's too simple. I like to think and out maneuver my enemies. Which is why I loved halo in the first place. There is a bit of tactic behind the game play which was alluring. like considering grenade throws. Halo 5 widens it
Slide: Full forward momentum, to slide hold / press crouch button in order to slide (depending on crouch toggle settings)
Spartan Charge: Full forward momentum, hold melee button to charge a power meter (Like Splaser and Rail Gun), when meter is full you perform a Charge, deviate from forward motion while charging and it immediately depletes.

Why would it be awkward?

Did you not watch the video? It explains quite a lot.
Richnj wrote:
Naqser wrote:
I am aware you don't need to srpint to function aside from slide and spartan charge but helps when you want to increase you range when utilizing these abilities. I am unaware of sliding without sprint though. I don't think it's possible. I tried and it doesn't happen. How would you do it? And if thats the case to be true, when can you slide? do you have to walk for a certain amount of time to initiate crouch? sounds very awkward.
You could tie slide and spartan charge to forward momentum with regular base movement speed if sprint was removed.

I favor the slides, spartan charge, boost, and clambers. It creates a wider dimension of gun play and offers more ways to approach in combat. It adds complexity while still maintaining core gameplay mechanics that is recognized in Halo: Halo trifecta which is Grenades, guns, and Melee. All of the essentials are still maintained, preserving the Halo identity we've grown attached to. It still stands out from other FPS.
In addition, this allows for more creative maps Like the warzone maps and BTB refresh maps. Although arena maps needs more versatility in it's design and art direction, the maps complement the old and new mechanics quite well. So we have really fluid gameplay.
Campaing levels, athough bad story-wise, brought in more dynamic level desgins which I loved. However, it does need more open sandbox style maps.
We should be more concerned about the bugs in matchmaking right now. imrpoving the UI and fixing certain glitches that still happen in the game right now.
And why do we need complexity in the first place?
And this has been my stance on sprint all along. With SAs it adds more complexity. More layers the players have to learn on order to maximise there potential and enjoyment of the game. Halo was always accessible to a wide audience. Beyond that of those who are already familiar with shooters. Halo as it stands under 343i is off putting to a wider audience because of the extra complexity.

We should celebrate Halo's simplicity. We use to. It was a strength to the franchise. We need to remove the steep learning curve, but that doesn't mean we are creating a shallow depth of game play. If we do this, and bring back split screen, we can start playing with spouses, non gaming buddies, children and bring back Halo Night.
Agree on spliscreen. but I don't understand why complexity and depth is such a bad thing. It makes engagements all the more exciting.
Depth isn't bad. Dont misunderstand that. We like depth. It's complexity, or rather over complexity that we want to avoid.

The reason?. Is the learning curve. The higher the learning curve, the higher the complexity the harder it is for new players, new gamers, and non gamers to enjoy.

I'm arguing that sprint, along with the other SAs and design choices of a pro team developed Halo has become a huge barrier for a wider audience to enjoy Halo.

So spouses, buddies who dont game often, younger children, players who dont like MP fps normally, and players who dont like high stress games, are all overwhelmed when first giving Halo 5 a try. The complexity is putting players off before they ever get to experience the depth of the franchise.
Removing sprint is a bad idea. Even though you grew up without it, when someone wants to take it away you want to keep it even more. Its like coffee; you grew up never drinking it, but now that you like it, if someone wants to take it away, you get defensive about it. My point is once you get used to it, you don't want to get rid of it.
I grew up without taking heroine as well, and I would probably enjoy it, were I to start doing drugs. So does that mean that everybody should just enable me to keep destroying myself, just because I like it?
Yeaaah...I like sprint in h5...it's balanced and it works just fine with other spartan abilities
Celestis wrote:
Removing sprint is a bad idea. Even though you grew up without it, when someone wants to take it away you want to keep it even more. Its like coffee; you grew up never drinking it, but now that you like it, if someone wants to take it away, you get defensive about it. My point is once you get used to it, you don't want to get rid of it.
I grew up without taking heroine as well, and I would probably enjoy it, were I to start doing drugs. So does that mean that everybody should just enable me to keep destroying myself, just because I like it?
This is a very dark line of logic. Is sprint so addictive that players will suffer withdrawal from removal of the mechanic?

Also it's not just that "I grew up without" sprint.

1. One of the very first games I played, and a game I played to death during the early years of my gaming youth was Super Mario World. It had sprint. A button that I held to make Mario go faster. To master the game I had to master the mechanic.
  2. Sprint as we know it today had been around for more than a decade. That's plenty of time to experience the mechanic and get use to it.
  3. If you were to look at my gamercard, and my achievements you'll see something different from most gamercards. It's not full of just COD, BF, Titanfall and so on. It covers a wide range of genres and franchises. It also has a lot of games on there and that's just my Xbox account. I also play Nintendo and PlayStation.
  4. This covers nearly 25 years of gaming (born in '85, same year as the NES)
It's a huge wealth of gaming experience. And I'll tell you now, sprint is just a drop in the gaming ocean. Not a new mechanic, not the most important one. Old or new, not every game needed, used or benefitted form having sprint. FPS's especially seem to suffer when the mechanic is used actually. Because it slows everything down. It works with platformers for distance, it works for cover/military shooters because you need to cover unsafe ground. It works for COD because it is a military shooter (albeit and arcadey one). But it doesn't work in Arena Shooters.

It only seems to be those that have limited gaming experience that worry about something like 'withdrawal symptoms' from a single mechanic. Old schoolers wont care, completely new gamers wont care, casual gamers wont care, gamers who normally don't play FPS games won't care. Only those who have only been playing for the last decade and limited themselves to 'AAA' FPS titles will care.
Richnj wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. Simplicity was always Halo's strong suit and was what made it actually accessible, without being overbearing or mindnumbingly
I don;'t get it. You guys say they added sprint and other abilities to cater to a wider audience. to be more accessible to new gamers. but you are saying that it should more accessible witout them?
That doesn't make sense. It is not a consistent agrument.
The excuse used to include these abilities is "to appeal to a wider audience" but when you look at the gaming community as a whole, you actually realise that the only people who expect these things are players who already play MP FPS titles and so have had time to get use to these mechanics. So by including these Halo lets it become more accessible to an audience outside those who are currently playing Halo. Namely those who are playing COD, Destiny, BF, and so on.

Only, that's not the effect this has. Some of those players come try out Halo and then go back to playing COD, Destiny, BF and so on. Leaving Halo with pretty much the same community it had during Halo 4.

But on the otherside of things. We have lost many casual MP FPS players. Or players who don't normally play FPS titles. Take Splatoon for instance. It's found a nice audience despite not being anything like a modern shooter. It sold around 5 million. Halo 5 has sold 5-6 million. It did it by offering a MP experience that was more casual, more friendly towards the Nintendo crowd. People will play online MP titles if it offers an experience they can get in to without it being hyper competitive like Halo 5 and other modern shooters. Remember Halo use to be called "kiddie" and easy compared to other shooters. One of 343i's goals for Halo was to make it more mature in themes and art. Which is a shame when there's an audience outside of the modern shooter crowd.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 343i and their Halo straddles the line between what Halo was and what other shooters are. And that it's not really finding success in the same way as either.
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
Settle, he is stating his opinion and his reason for it. If he didn't state his reason then 20 more guys would be on him for it.
CPU100Xx wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
Settle, he is stating his opinion and his reason for it. If he didn't state his reason then 20 more guys would be on him for it.
Not really. People who don't typically post an argument for sprint are left alone because there's no argument to address, and they're just sharing their opinion. But this person is stating a very misinformed reason that has been countered multiple times in this thread. Posting misinformed arguments is what gets your post attacked, but sharing your opinion is okay.
TryHardFan wrote:
CPU100Xx wrote:
TryHardFan wrote:
Matt Spesh wrote:
Not really. People who don't typically post an argument for sprint are left alone because there's no argument to address, and they're just sharing their opinion. But this person is stating a very misinformed reason that has been countered multiple times in this thread. Posting misinformed arguments is what gets your post attacked, but sharing your opinion is okay.
He didn't post an argument, he posted his opinion. Even if it's misinformed, it's still what he thinks.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 529
  4. 530
  5. 531
  6. 532
  7. 533
  8. ...
  9. 828