Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 589
  4. 590
  5. 591
  6. 592
  7. 593
  8. ...
  9. 840
Chipmmunk wrote:
Cloud Usui wrote:
It's not really a game breaker.
Nope, not at all... Sprint enhances gameplay in Halo in so many ways. People need to have variety in their movement speeds in order to choose between walking and running for obvious reasons.
How about you just try to accuse pro sprinters of not making any points to keep sprint in Halo again... Then try to go back and necro old arguments with the same counter arguments that have already been answered multiple times.
Well once a pro sprinter makes a valid point I will concede it (incidentally I'm still waiting)
and there's really no need to necro old arguments when you are giving so much new ammunition
I don't care if you dangle that out there as if that statement has got some measure of worth to it. I hate to call you out, because perhaps you would actually concede that which you said you would under those circumstances you just made up (probably not based upon your previous counters to try and nullify reasons to keep sprint that were based upon mechanics/gameplay). But incidentally I don't believe that you would concede anything on this debate; regardless on how well grounded the pro sprint point is under your own standards. Bottom line is no matter what the pro sprint point is, you would still argue against keeping sprint so what's the point even of your antics here?
There are no "antics" here
as soon as someone gives me a legitimate reason as to why sprint enhances halo I will digest it process it and maybe just maybe give me a different perspective
however as I've said, I won't take immersion, lore and player expectation as valid reasons why it should remain
I would like a single mechanic based reason why sprint makes halo better
please, give me something actual to ponder and I give you this
maybe, just maybe consider my suggestion
if you increase the FOV the game will feel faster
if you increase BMS the game -will- BE faster
No you wouldn't... I already gave you "one legitimate reason," just a few posts back. The ability to choose between walking and running dependent upon the situation is just necessary as a player. You detract this element of realism by trying to remove sprint via the "FOV tweak," and/or "Increased one BMS," suggestions you put forward. And you can stamp your feet and keep on disagreeing with that but that's still a legitimate reason to keep sprint in Halo. You all but ignored this last time I said it and it didn't give you a "different perspective," nor did you even skip a beat with your never-ceasing campaign against sprint.
So go on ahead with your antics but don't try to put forth a false facade that those pro sprint points don't exist simply because you disagree with them.
Choosing the ability to walk or run was never a problem in past halos which by the way were far in large more successful than H4 or H5 put together
the ability to choose walk or run speed wasn't necrsssry in CE-3 it's not necessary in overwatch it's not necessary in CS:Go and all of those games are more popular and successful than either H4 or H5 could hope to be
"realism" is not a good enough or legitimate reason to have sprint in halo I'm sorry
Look you can disagree with me all you want and I understand why you do. That doesn't mean that enabling players with the ability to choose between waking or running depending on the situation is not a legitimate reason that should should stay in Halo. It's legitimate enough for you to sit here and try to spend your time countering the point.
Well actually you could choose walk speed or run speed in CE-3
it was just a matter of how far you pushed the left stick
so you had the ability to choose walk or run speed even without sprint......
so that argument is gone as well......
next?.....
It's not "gone," pushing down on a stick absolutely did not take you into a full sprint (no matter how hard you pressed it) Trying to tweak one BMS to be able to move at sprint-like speeds is totally unrealistic and would not work for Halo.
Really?.....
wouldnt work for halo?
it already worked for halo...defelecting the left analogue sprint did put you into a full sprint there was just no animation for it.....
oh and by the way it worked quite well
this mechanic presided over the most successful halos so it clearly worked
zer0 is right, you just want a fight, you've just got to have something to defend......
have a good day man
You can't sprint in Halo CE. 2, or 3 by "pressing down on the analog stick," any harder like you just lied about in your previous post. You've got to be kidding me, who is trying to deflect and ignore right now?? You didn't sprint, you could only walk or walk slower. And trying to remove sprint to return to one BMS wouldnt change any of that- you can't possibly try to make one BMS work to go between a slow walk to range up all the way up to a dead sprint like we have in Halo 5. Spartans don't even look natural moving at such speeds with the weapon at the ready for one; along with the impossibility of trying to make those incredibly wide range of speeds even work at all with one analog stick. Players don't get to walk and sprint with one BMS in Halo, and that would be a step backwards for gameplay if they tried to remove it now.
Classic move by you, choosing to ignore the hard questions. I'll ask you one more time, if I dont get a response I'm just gonna assume you have no rebuttal.
Glad you think I've got "classic moves," but I just ignore people like you and Exuberant Umbra that argue without logic and would rather come through with cool little one liner jabs like yours and try everything possible to "destroy," any and all pro sprint opinions than to just discuss the issue of sprint proactively.
My rebuttal to you is simple... Like I told Exuberant Umbra- buzz off.
So..........nothing? Awesome just what I figured.

I proved my point, carry along now.

EDIT: I'd just like to add the part that SIN cut off from my post. You know the part that actually mattered.
What does sprint add that couldn't be done in previous games?
How does sprint benefit the player?Why do Josh Holmes opinions merit more credibility than thousands of other people?

This post has been hidden.

4
This should be a topic where fellow Halo fans can proactively and constructively discuss sprint (as the title of the thread states) versus having people like you trying so hard to "destroy," any and every pro sprint argument that comes along.
You realize that proactive and constructive discussion comes from debates, whether or not you agree with one side or the other. Just "talking about something" and all around agreeing as per a cesspool gets you nothing. As much as you may dislike how we argue, what we argue, etc, it's what makes the discussion constructive, because it raises points, and gets discussions (like the ones going for the past few days) going, bringing all sides into the debate/discussion. Rather than try and say we're trying to "destroy" and "crush" you, and your sides, why not look at how we actually got a discussion going, rather than just making unconstructive, one line "sprint should stay/go" comments, then never speaking our minds on the issue, whatever it may be, and leaving, never to be seen again.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Chipmmunk wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Cloud Usui wrote:
It's not really a game breaker.
Nope, not at all... Sprint enhances gameplay in Halo in so many ways. People need to have variety in their movement speeds in order to choose between walking and running for obvious reasons.
How about you just try to accuse pro sprinters of not making any points to keep sprint in Halo again... Then try to go back and necro old arguments with the same counter arguments that have already been answered multiple times.
Well once a pro sprinter makes a valid point I will concede it (incidentally I'm still waiting)
and there's really no need to necro old arguments when you are giving so much new ammunition
I don't care if you dangle that out there as if that statement has got some measure of worth to it. I hate to call you out, because perhaps you would actually concede that which you said you would under those circumstances you just made up (probably not based upon your previous counters to try and nullify reasons to keep sprint that were based upon mechanics/gameplay). But incidentally I don't believe that you would concede anything on this debate; regardless on how well grounded the pro sprint point is under your own standards. Bottom line is no matter what the pro sprint point is, you would still argue against keeping sprint so what's the point even of your antics here?
There are no "antics" here
as soon as someone gives me a legitimate reason as to why sprint enhances halo I will digest it process it and maybe just maybe give me a different perspective
however as I've said, I won't take immersion, lore and player expectation as valid reasons why it should remain
I would like a single mechanic based reason why sprint makes halo better
please, give me something actual to ponder and I give you this
maybe, just maybe consider my suggestion
if you increase the FOV the game will feel faster
if you increase BMS the game -will- BE faster
No you wouldn't... I already gave you "one legitimate reason," just a few posts back. The ability to choose between walking and running dependent upon the situation is just necessary as a player. You detract this element of realism by trying to remove sprint via the "FOV tweak," and/or "Increased one BMS," suggestions you put forward. And you can stamp your feet and keep on disagreeing with that but that's still a legitimate reason to keep sprint in Halo. You all but ignored this last time I said it and it didn't give you a "different perspective," nor did you even skip a beat with your never-ceasing campaign against sprint.
So go on ahead with your antics but don't try to put forth a false facade that those pro sprint points don't exist simply because you disagree with them.
Choosing the ability to walk or run was never a problem in past halos which by the way were far in large more successful than H4 or H5 put together
the ability to choose walk or run speed wasn't necrsssry in CE-3 it's not necessary in overwatch it's not necessary in CS:Go and all of those games are more popular and successful than either H4 or H5 could hope to be
"realism" is not a good enough or legitimate reason to have sprint in halo I'm sorry
Look you can disagree with me all you want and I understand why you do. That doesn't mean that enabling players with the ability to choose between waking or running depending on the situation is not a legitimate reason that should should stay in Halo. It's legitimate enough for you to sit here and try to spend your time countering the point.
Well actually you could choose walk speed or run speed in CE-3
it was just a matter of how far you pushed the left stick
so you had the ability to choose walk or run speed even without sprint......
so that argument is gone as well......
next?.....
It's not "gone," pushing down on a stick absolutely did not take you into a full sprint (no matter how hard you pressed it) Trying to tweak one BMS to be able to move at sprint-like speeds is totally unrealistic and would not work for Halo.
Really?.....
wouldnt work for halo?
it already worked for halo...defelecting the left analogue sprint did put you into a full sprint there was just no animation for it.....
oh and by the way it worked quite well
this mechanic presided over the most successful halos so it clearly worked
zer0 is right, you just want a fight, you've just got to have something to defend......
have a good day man
You can't sprint in Halo CE. 2, or 3 by "pressing down on the analog stick," any harder like you just lied about in your previous post. You've got to be kidding me, who is trying to deflect and ignore right now?? You didn't sprint, you could only walk or walk slower. And trying to remove sprint to return to one BMS wouldnt change any of that- you can't possibly try to make one BMS work to go between a slow walk to range up all the way up to a dead sprint like we have in Halo 5. Spartans don't even look natural moving at such speeds with the weapon at the ready for one; along with the impossibility of trying to make those incredibly wide range of speeds even work at all with one analog stick. Players don't get to walk and sprint with one BMS in Halo, and that would be a step backwards for gameplay if they tried to remove it now.
Classic move by you, choosing to ignore the hard questions. I'll ask you one more time, if I dont get a response I'm just gonna assume you have no rebuttal.
Glad you think I've got "classic moves," but I just ignore people like you and Exuberant Umbra that argue without logic and would rather come through with cool little one liner jabs like yours and try everything possible to "destroy," any and all pro sprint opinions than to just discuss the issue of sprint proactively.
My rebuttal to you is simple... Like I told Exuberant Umbra- buzz off.
So..........nothing? Awesome just what I figured.

I proved my point, carry along now.

Yeah I'm not going to engage with you about that. I don't appreciate your aggressive debating style so I'm not going to answer your questions to get flamebaited into another argument. You've proven nothing other than your aggressive nature in this debate.
Thats just how I am. This is a topic Im passionate about, this is a game that I have grown up with and to see if fall apart in front of me isnt something Im going to take kindly to. And to see people defend the reasons this game is falling apart (in my opnion) is very irritating. So yeah I'm gonna be aggressive about it, especially when the people defending sprint dont have any valid or well thought out reasons as to why it should stay and then claim they are being "harassed" because others with different viewpoints dont agree with them.

Why dont you want to get "baited into another argument" isn't that why your here, to argue and support your claim, isnt that why we're all here on this very thread?
Chipmmunk wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Cloud Usui wrote:
It's not really a game breaker.
Nope, not at all... Sprint enhances gameplay in Halo in so many ways. People need to have variety in their movement speeds in order to choose between walking and running for obvious reasons.
How about you just try to accuse pro sprinters of not making any points to keep sprint in Halo again... Then try to go back and necro old arguments with the same counter arguments that have already been answered multiple times.
Well once a pro sprinter makes a valid point I will concede it (incidentally I'm still waiting)
and there's really no need to necro old arguments when you are giving so much new ammunition
I don't care if you dangle that out there as if that statement has got some measure of worth to it. I hate to call you out, because perhaps you would actually concede that which you said you would under those circumstances you just made up (probably not based upon your previous counters to try and nullify reasons to keep sprint that were based upon mechanics/gameplay). But incidentally I don't believe that you would concede anything on this debate; regardless on how well grounded the pro sprint point is under your own standards. Bottom line is no matter what the pro sprint point is, you would still argue against keeping sprint so what's the point even of your antics here?
There are no "antics" here
as soon as someone gives me a legitimate reason as to why sprint enhances halo I will digest it process it and maybe just maybe give me a different perspective
however as I've said, I won't take immersion, lore and player expectation as valid reasons why it should remain
I would like a single mechanic based reason why sprint makes halo better
please, give me something actual to ponder and I give you this
maybe, just maybe consider my suggestion
if you increase the FOV the game will feel faster
if you increase BMS the game -will- BE faster
No you wouldn't... I already gave you "one legitimate reason," just a few posts back. The ability to choose between walking and running dependent upon the situation is just necessary as a player. You detract this element of realism by trying to remove sprint via the "FOV tweak," and/or "Increased one BMS," suggestions you put forward. And you can stamp your feet and keep on disagreeing with that but that's still a legitimate reason to keep sprint in Halo. You all but ignored this last time I said it and it didn't give you a "different perspective," nor did you even skip a beat with your never-ceasing campaign against sprint.
So go on ahead with your antics but don't try to put forth a false facade that those pro sprint points don't exist simply because you disagree with them.
Choosing the ability to walk or run was never a problem in past halos which by the way were far in large more successful than H4 or H5 put together
the ability to choose walk or run speed wasn't necrsssry in CE-3 it's not necessary in overwatch it's not necessary in CS:Go and all of those games are more popular and successful than either H4 or H5 could hope to be
"realism" is not a good enough or legitimate reason to have sprint in halo I'm sorry
Look you can disagree with me all you want and I understand why you do. That doesn't mean that enabling players with the ability to choose between waking or running depending on the situation is not a legitimate reason that should should stay in Halo. It's legitimate enough for you to sit here and try to spend your time countering the point.
Well actually you could choose walk speed or run speed in CE-3
it was just a matter of how far you pushed the left stick
so you had the ability to choose walk or run speed even without sprint......
so that argument is gone as well......
next?.....
It's not "gone," pushing down on a stick absolutely did not take you into a full sprint (no matter how hard you pressed it) Trying to tweak one BMS to be able to move at sprint-like speeds is totally unrealistic and would not work for Halo.
Really?.....
wouldnt work for halo?
it already worked for halo...defelecting the left analogue sprint did put you into a full sprint there was just no animation for it.....
oh and by the way it worked quite well
this mechanic presided over the most successful halos so it clearly worked
zer0 is right, you just want a fight, you've just got to have something to defend......
have a good day man
You can't sprint in Halo CE. 2, or 3 by "pressing down on the analog stick," any harder like you just lied about in your previous post. You've got to be kidding me, who is trying to deflect and ignore right now?? You didn't sprint, you could only walk or walk slower. And trying to remove sprint to return to one BMS wouldnt change any of that- you can't possibly try to make one BMS work to go between a slow walk to range up all the way up to a dead sprint like we have in Halo 5. Spartans don't even look natural moving at such speeds with the weapon at the ready for one; along with the impossibility of trying to make those incredibly wide range of speeds even work at all with one analog stick. Players don't get to walk and sprint with one BMS in Halo, and that would be a step backwards for gameplay if they tried to remove it now.
Classic move by you, choosing to ignore the hard questions. I'll ask you one more time, if I dont get a response I'm just gonna assume you have no rebuttal.
Glad you think I've got "classic moves," but I just ignore people like you and Exuberant Umbra that argue without logic and would rather come through with cool little one liner jabs like yours and try everything possible to "destroy," any and all pro sprint opinions than to just discuss the issue of sprint proactively.
My rebuttal to you is simple... Like I told Exuberant Umbra- buzz off.
So..........nothing? Awesome just what I figured.

I proved my point, carry along now.

EDIT: I'd just like to add the part that SIN cut off from my post. You know the part that actually mattered.
What does sprint add that couldn't be done in previous games?
How does sprint benefit the player?Why do Josh Holmes opinions merit more credibility than thousands of other people?
Josh's opinions are just opinions if sin can blow off a bungie members opinion on sprint as not fitting"just another opinion".
Chipmmunk wrote:
Chipmmunk wrote:
Cloud Usui wrote:
It's not really a game breaker.
Nope, not at all... Sprint enhances gameplay in Halo in so many ways. People need to have variety in their movement speeds in order to choose between walking and running for obvious reasons.
How about you just try to accuse pro sprinters of not making any points to keep sprint in Halo again... Then try to go back and necro old arguments with the same counter arguments that have already been answered multiple times.
Well once a pro sprinter makes a valid point I will concede it (incidentally I'm still waiting)
and there's really no need to necro old arguments when you are giving so much new ammunition
I don't care if you dangle that out there as if that statement has got some measure of worth to it. I hate to call you out, because perhaps you would actually concede that which you said you would under those circumstances you just made up (probably not based upon your previous counters to try and nullify reasons to keep sprint that were based upon mechanics/gameplay). But incidentally I don't believe that you would concede anything on this debate; regardless on how well grounded the pro sprint point is under your own standards. Bottom line is no matter what the pro sprint point is, you would still argue against keeping sprint so what's the point even of your antics here?
There are no "antics" here
as soon as someone gives me a legitimate reason as to why sprint enhances halo I will digest it process it and maybe just maybe give me a different perspective
however as I've said, I won't take immersion, lore and player expectation as valid reasons why it should remain
I would like a single mechanic based reason why sprint makes halo better
please, give me something actual to ponder and I give you this
maybe, just maybe consider my suggestion
if you increase the FOV the game will feel faster
if you increase BMS the game -will- BE faster
No you wouldn't... I already gave you "one legitimate reason," just a few posts back. The ability to choose between walking and running dependent upon the situation is just necessary as a player. You detract this element of realism by trying to remove sprint via the "FOV tweak," and/or "Increased one BMS," suggestions you put forward. And you can stamp your feet and keep on disagreeing with that but that's still a legitimate reason to keep sprint in Halo. You all but ignored this last time I said it and it didn't give you a "different perspective," nor did you even skip a beat with your never-ceasing campaign against sprint.
So go on ahead with your antics but don't try to put forth a false facade that those pro sprint points don't exist simply because you disagree with them.
Choosing the ability to walk or run was never a problem in past halos which by the way were far in large more successful than H4 or H5 put together
the ability to choose walk or run speed wasn't necrsssry in CE-3 it's not necessary in overwatch it's not necessary in CS:Go and all of those games are more popular and successful than either H4 or H5 could hope to be
"realism" is not a good enough or legitimate reason to have sprint in halo I'm sorry
Look you can disagree with me all you want and I understand why you do. That doesn't mean that enabling players with the ability to choose between waking or running depending on the situation is not a legitimate reason that should should stay in Halo. It's legitimate enough for you to sit here and try to spend your time countering the point.
Well actually you could choose walk speed or run speed in CE-3
it was just a matter of how far you pushed the left stick
so you had the ability to choose walk or run speed even without sprint......
so that argument is gone as well......
next?.....
It's not "gone," pushing down on a stick absolutely did not take you into a full sprint (no matter how hard you pressed it) Trying to tweak one BMS to be able to move at sprint-like speeds is totally unrealistic and would not work for Halo.
Really?.....
wouldnt work for halo?
it already worked for halo...defelecting the left analogue sprint did put you into a full sprint there was just no animation for it.....
oh and by the way it worked quite well
this mechanic presided over the most successful halos so it clearly worked
zer0 is right, you just want a fight, you've just got to have something to defend......
have a good day man
You can't sprint in Halo CE. 2, or 3 by "pressing down on the analog stick," any harder like you just lied about in your previous post. You've got to be kidding me, who is trying to deflect and ignore right now?? You didn't sprint, you could only walk or walk slower. And trying to remove sprint to return to one BMS wouldnt change any of that- you can't possibly try to make one BMS work to go between a slow walk to range up all the way up to a dead sprint like we have in Halo 5. Spartans don't even look natural moving at such speeds with the weapon at the ready for one; along with the impossibility of trying to make those incredibly wide range of speeds even work at all with one analog stick. Players don't get to walk and sprint with one BMS in Halo, and that would be a step backwards for gameplay if they tried to remove it now.
Classic move by you, choosing to ignore the hard questions. I'll ask you one more time, if I dont get a response I'm just gonna assume you have no rebuttal.
Glad you think I've got "classic moves," but I just ignore people like you and Exuberant Umbra that argue without logic and would rather come through with cool little one liner jabs like yours and try everything possible to "destroy," any and all pro sprint opinions than to just discuss the issue of sprint proactively.
My rebuttal to you is simple... Like I told Exuberant Umbra- buzz off.
So..........nothing? Awesome just what I figured.

I proved my point, carry along now.

EDIT: I'd just like to add the part that SIN cut off from my post. You know the part that actually mattered.
What does sprint add that couldn't be done in previous games?
How does sprint benefit the player?Why do Josh Holmes opinions merit more credibility than thousands of other people?
Josh's opinions are just opinions if sin can blow off a bungie members opinion on sprint as not fitting"just another opinion".
Bungie's opinions are guilty of wrong think. The narrative doesn't fit so we must omit!
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
Hmm... This is pretty interesting and I feel it will add something of value to this discussion. I think I will hop on and try to do some of these tests myself tonight. I'd like to see how long it takes to walk around points to put Exuberant Umbra's "map widening," theory in Halo 5 to the test as well using maps that were rebuilt from older Halo games.
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
Hmm... This is pretty interesting and I feel it will add something of value to this discussion. I think I will hop on and try to do some of these tests myself tonight. I'd like to see how long it takes to walk around points to put Exuberant Umbra's "map widening," theory in Halo 5 to the test as well using maps that were rebuilt from older Halo games.
Im genuinely glad you will consider this. Many of us say sprint is an illusion due to the travel times in remakes being nearly identical, I hope you can recognize this.

This post has been hidden.

4
Unknown wrote:
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
On Halo 2 Midship, flag to flag is about 14 seconds and front door to front door is about 5.8 seconds with several runs.
So the times are comparable between all the games really
H5 decreased the base movement speed to make is slower than in H2 and H3 and made sprint slightly faster than H3 BMS to accomodate it

so really is gaining that second or two really that big of a difference? And does the small increase justify everything else that goes along with it?

the movement times are comparable and seem to be almost on par which means sprint seemingly accomplishes nothing
Uhhh EVERYTHING
Unknown wrote:
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
On Halo 2 Midship, flag to flag is about 14 seconds and front door to front door is about 5.8 seconds with several runs.
So the times are comparable between all the games really
H5 decreased the base movement speed to make is slower than in H2 and H3 and made sprint slightly faster than H3 BMS to accomodate it

so really is gaining that second or two really that big of a difference? And does the small increase justify everything else that goes along with it?

the movement times are comparable and seem to be almost on par which means sprint seemingly accomplishes nothing
^^^^ Remarkable research sir !!! You are a true gentleman and a scholar #KeepHalo5Sprint @HCS @Halo #Halo5sprint #
Unknown wrote:
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
On Halo 2 Midship, flag to flag is about 14 seconds and front door to front door is about 5.8 seconds with several runs.
So the times are comparable between all the games really
H5 decreased the base movement speed to make is slower than in H2 and H3 and made sprint slightly faster than H3 BMS to accomodate it

so really is gaining that second or two really that big of a difference? And does the small increase justify everything else that goes along with it?

the movement times are comparable and seem to be almost on par which means sprint seemingly accomplishes nothing
^^^^ Remarkable research sir !!! You are a true gentleman and a scholar #KeepHalo5Sprint @HCS @Halo #Halo5sprint #
Uuuuhhhhhhh I think you may have misinterpreted the data
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
Hmm... This is pretty interesting and I feel it will add something of value to this discussion. I think I will hop on and try to do some of these tests myself tonight. I'd like to see how long it takes to walk around points to put Exuberant Umbra's "map widening," theory in Halo 5 to the test as well using maps that were rebuilt from older Halo games.
Im genuinely glad you will consider this. Many of us say sprint is an illusion due to the travel times in remakes being nearly identical, I hope you can recognize this.
Of course I'll consider it. This is simply a test of movement. Btw I've considered all anti sprint opinions; even if I don't agree with them.

I'm going to spend more time doing this, but here are the times that I've come up with so far after a quick test with a stop watch.

Halo 5: Truth:

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.7 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.2 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.8 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds
Sprinting: ~7.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.4 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

Halo 3: Heretic:

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.4 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.3 seconds

Halo 2: Midship:

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.6 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~8.8 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.2 seconds

Summary:

Caveat: I understand that these tests were only run once and slight deviations can occur between tests.

-There's no doubt that sprinting takes you between distances much faster than any previous pace offered by Halo 2 or Halo 3 (Regardless as to how hard you press the stick to move). Situation dependent, I believe it's important for a Spartan to be able to choose between a "walking," pace and a "sprinting," pace; which is why I feel it's important to keep sprint in order to give players the option to choose between a walking pace or a dead sprint.

-It takes about 1.1 seconds longer to travel from Flag spawns to bottom mid between Truth (Halo 5) and Heretic (Halo 3) and roughly 1.2 seconds longer than on Midship (Halo 2). The map on Halo 5 does appear to contain more distance to cover from Flag Locations to bottom mid than the maps from Halo 3 and Halo 2.

-The deviation (~0.2 seconds) was negligible however in walking from Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue between all three games. There was some additional time required in order to navigate the "pit," area of bottom mid on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 which seemed to increase the time for this test. The distance was shorter but the dip in the pit area on the older Halo games seemed to slow the travel time down to a time comparable to that in Halo 5's Truth map that doesn't have a drop in elevation at bottom mid.

-The deviation (~0.4 seconds) was negligible in walking from Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red across all three titles. This doesn't appear to support the "stretching," of this map according to movement speed.

-The deviation (~0.2 seconds) was negligible in walking from From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two across all three titles. This doesn't appear to support the "stretching," of this map according to movement speed.

-Overall based upon these tests it does feel that the distance between bases is shorter on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 than on Halo 5; although with the dip in elevation at bottom mid posing an obstacle for Halo 2 and Halo 3 the total travel time directly between bases appears to comparable. There could also be any number of reasons why 343i would have chosen to increase any distances on the map: such as to cut the dip in elevation at bottom mid in order to expand the direct distance between bases which would make sense and it wouldn't have anything to do with sprint either.
Gaining a second or two can mean everything! It makes all the difference in this game , are the maps from halo 2 compared to H3 the same size?
Yes, I did, that still dosn't change anything about halo 3s maps being bigger, and having tighter fov
It does, actually. Literally, Halo 3 maps weren't "bigger". The tighter FoV is true, and lead to the illusion of slower movement, possibly making maps seem like a slogfest, but the maps themselves legitimately aren't scaled any bigger than previous maps before them, in previous games.
You can try and compare them however you want, your halo 5 comparison was still worthless, in my opinion halo 3 maps tend to be bigger and have longer walking times.
Takes the same time to get from on side of the map on heretic in H3 as it does sprinting on truth in H5
same time...
so while you can have that opinion
that opinion is wrong
That dosn't make it the same size, it's all in scale. Since your not always moving at that faster speed actual combat is slower because of the fact that the map is scaled larger for sprint.
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
Hmm... This is pretty interesting and I feel it will add something of value to this discussion. I think I will hop on and try to do some of these tests myself tonight. I'd like to see how long it takes to walk around points to put Exuberant Umbra's "map widening," theory in Halo 5 to the test as well using maps that were rebuilt from older Halo games.
Im genuinely glad you will consider this. Many of us say sprint is an illusion due to the travel times in remakes being nearly identical, I hope you can recognize this.
Of course I'll consider it. This is simply a test of movement. Btw I've considered all anti sprint opinions; even if I don't agree with them.

I'm going to spend more time doing this, but here are the times that I've come up with so far after a quick test with a stop watch.

Halo 5: TruthFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.7 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.2 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.8 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds
Sprinting: ~7.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.4 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

Halo 3: HereticFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.4 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.3 seconds

Halo 2: MidshipFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.6 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~8.8 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.2 seconds

Summary:

Caveat: I understand that these tests were only run once and slight deviations can occur between tests.

-There's no doubt that sprinting takes you between distances much faster than any previous pace offered by Halo 2 or Halo 3. Situation dependent, I believe it's important for a Spartan to be able to choose between a "walking," pace and a "sprinting," pace; which is why I feel it's important to keep sprint in order to give players the option to choose between a walking pace or a dead sprint.

-It takes about 1.1 second longer to travel from Flag spawns to bottom mid between Truth (Halo 5) and Heretic (Halo 3) and roughly 1.2 seconds longer than on Midship (Halo 2). The map on Halo 5 does appear to contain more distance to cover from Flag Locations to bottom mid than the maps from Halo 3 and Halo 2.

-The deviation (~0.2 seconds) was negligible however in walking from Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue between all three games. There was some additional time required in order to navigate the "pit," area of bottom mid on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 which seemed to increase the time for this test. The distance was shorter but the dip in the pit area on the older Halo games seemed to slow the travel time down to a time comparable to that in Halo 5's Truth map that doesn't have a drop in elevation at bottom mid.

-The deviation (~0.4 seconds) was negligible in walking from Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red across all three titles. This doesn't appear to support the "stretching," of this map according to movement speed.

-Overall based upon these tests it does feel that the distance between bases is shorter on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 than on Halo 5; although with the dip in elevation at bottom mid posing an obstacle for Halo 2 and Halo 3 the total travel time directly between bases appears to comparable.
Uhhhhhh..... I wouldn't say a second is much faster
you arrive at your destination a second faster sprinting in H5 than you do at full speed in H3
so really "the ability to choose speeds" means nothing with such a little difference between distance/times
which leads to the idea that the maps have been made larger to accomodate sprint

also thank you because I think I've figured out the premis of your argument

"I believe it's important for a Spartan to be able to choose between a "walking," pace and a "sprinting," pace; which is why I feel it's important to keep sprint in order to give players the option to choose between a walking pace or a dead sprint"

Thats your argument

However the tests show there is minimal difference between the two
So I couldn't find the video so I just jumped on and did some tests myself
For this test I calculated movement times on heretic in H3 on MCC and in Truth on H5 with and without sprint

I measure distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and from front door to front door on heretic
and I measured distance/time from flag to flag running through pink 2 and front door to front door on truth

i did several tests per movement so I will take the shortest time for each test

HERITIC
-Flag to Flag: 15 seconds
-Front door - Front Door 6 seconds

TRUTH NO SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 17 seconds
-Front door to Front door: 8 seconds

TRUTH WITH SPRINT
-Flag to Flag: 14 seconds
-Front door - Front door 6 seconds

So it would see that sprinting is slightly faster than the base movement speed in H3 and does allow you to get to your destination slightly quicker
at least according to these tests (please feel free to do your own)
Hmm... This is pretty interesting and I feel it will add something of value to this discussion. I think I will hop on and try to do some of these tests myself tonight. I'd like to see how long it takes to walk around points to put Exuberant Umbra's "map widening," theory in Halo 5 to the test as well using maps that were rebuilt from older Halo games.
Im genuinely glad you will consider this. Many of us say sprint is an illusion due to the travel times in remakes being nearly identical, I hope you can recognize this.
Of course I'll consider it. This is simply a test of movement. Btw I've considered all anti sprint opinions; even if I don't agree with them.

I'm going to spend more time doing this, but here are the times that I've come up with so far after a quick test with a stop watch.

Halo 5: TruthFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.7 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.2 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~5.8 seconds
Sprinting: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~8.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~6.4 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds
Sprinting: ~7.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.3 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.4 seconds
Sprinting: ~8.3 seconds

Halo 3: HereticFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.8 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~9.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.4 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.3 seconds

Halo 2: MidshipFrom: Red team Flag location; To: center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Red team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~6.6 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To center of bottom mid:
Walking: ~4.5 seconds

From: Blue team Flag location; To: center of Carbine Two
Walking: ~7.0 seconds

From: Center of Carbine Two; To: center of Pink Tower Two
Walking: ~8.8 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red
Walking: ~10.0 seconds

From: Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue
Walking: ~10.2 seconds

Summary:

Caveat: I understand that these tests were only run once and slight deviations can occur between tests.

-There's no doubt that sprinting takes you between distances much faster than any previous pace offered by Halo 2 or Halo 3. Situation dependent, I believe it's important for a Spartan to be able to choose between a "walking," pace and a "sprinting," pace; which is why I feel it's important to keep sprint in order to give players the option to choose between a walking pace or a dead sprint.

-It takes about 1.1 second longer to travel from Flag spawns to bottom mid between Truth (Halo 5) and Heretic (Halo 3) and roughly 1.2 seconds longer than on Midship (Halo 2). The map on Halo 5 does appear to contain more distance to cover from Flag Locations to bottom mid than the maps from Halo 3 and Halo 2.

-The deviation (~0.2 seconds) was negligible however in walking from Center of Bottom Red; To: Center of Bottom Blue between all three games. There was some additional time required in order to navigate the "pit," area of bottom mid on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 which seemed to increase the time for this test. The distance was shorter but the dip in the pit area on the older Halo games seemed to slow the travel time down to a time comparable to that in Halo 5's Truth map that doesn't have a drop in elevation at bottom mid.

-The deviation (~0.4 seconds) was negligible in walking from Center of Bottom Blue; To: Center of Bottom Red across all three titles. This doesn't appear to support the "stretching," of this map according to movement speed.

-Overall based upon these tests it does feel that the distance between bases is shorter on Halo 2 and on Halo 3 than on Halo 5; although with the dip in elevation at bottom mid posing an obstacle for Halo 2 and Halo 3 the total travel time directly between bases appears to comparable.
Uhhhhhh..... I wouldn't say a second is much faster
you arrive at your destination a second faster sprinting in H5 than you do at full speed in H3
so really "the ability to choose speeds" means nothing with such a little difference between distance/times
which leads to the idea that the maps have been made larger to accomodate sprint

also thank you because I think I've figured out the premis of your argument

"I believe it's important for a Spartan to be able to choose between a "walking," pace and a "sprinting," pace; which is why I feel it's important to keep sprint in order to give players the option to choose between a walking pace or a dead sprint"

Thats your argument

However the tests show there is minimal difference between the two
That's not the premise of all of my arguments for keeping sprint in Halo. There were many other points that I've brought up to support keeping sprint- you just seem to want to focus on the mechanical aspect.

That was the mechanical reason that I provided to you for this discussion because I don't feel like continuing to engage with you on my pro sprint opinions regarding why sprint is beneficial for Halo.

Many other reasons that I've also provided in the past for keeping sprint in Halo were: Immersion, Realism, Lore, Predictive Combat, Player Expectations, Give the majority of fans what they want in Halo, and Past Precedence. Those aren't even all the points that I've argued when advocating for sprint but those are where I began in this thread and those are additional reasons other than what I've argued with you which is enabling players to choose between movement speeds whether to walk or sprint based upon the situation. I just choose not to get into a bickering contest with you about those points any further. Thank you for understanding that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 589
  4. 590
  5. 591
  6. 592
  7. 593
  8. ...
  9. 840