Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 619
  4. 620
  5. 621
  6. 622
  7. 623
  8. ...
  9. 829
Sprint should be faster. Just get rid of Spartan Charge. I don't know that I've ever used it on purpose to get a kill. Most of the time I'm going up for the assassination only to use it, whiff the opponent, and then get murdered. lol
Yeah that stinks when that happens.
"error. Try again"

Thanks for the sucky advice waypoint.
Why is this still a thing? You can sprint in Halo. It would be lame without the sprint.
No it's lame with the sprint, as proven by the fact no one likes it anymore lol
I don't understand why the pro sprinters want to play halo, a game that has no population. It was an unfinished mess when it came out. There are so many games with sprint that implement it correctly. Why not have halo be the slower game millions of people loved. Then at least there is an alternative, excuse the pun change of pace, that people can play as well or instead of the others.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
Because equipment was almost never used, had to be found on maps, and most of them still had little affect on gameplay.
I don't know about you but bubble shield, regen, and power drain were used all the time in my experience. The others, only on occasion. They were extremely irritating, and screwed up the flow. Much more than armor abilities ever did imo.
I disagree, AA's are far more likely to alter the established game-play mechanics than a one use, map pick-up item.
They are being deliberately annoying, don't fall for it.
He's literally disagreeing just to disagree with us at this point, even if it makes no sense.
No I'm not. That is literally how I feel. Quit grouping me into the pro sprint crowd. I recognize I'm in the minority. I know that full well. My least favorite Halo multiplayer is the most popular. I dislike Halo 3 multiplayer. That my opinion. In my opinion, due to their extreme lack of balance, even more so than AA, and their unpredictability, I feel like equipment was way worse for gameplay than AAs. But that's my opinion. And no, before you assume so, Halo 4 and Halo 5 are not my favorite multiplayers
Funny how you never mentioned how equipment was bad until I said it was good...
Did you say it was good? If you did, I didn't read it
Then at least there is an alternative, excuse the pun change of pace, that people can play as well or instead of the others.
This is where 343 needs to do a complete 180 when it comes to philosophy. Don't try to give people what they expect. Give people what they don't expect. Cookie cutter shooters ironically don't cut it.

Look at the games that have come out recently that have become successful MP games. Minecraft, Rocket League, RS Siege, Overwatch. They all delivered an experience that people didn't even know they wanted before those games showed them. 343's Halo games don't show us anything that we don't see everywhere else. They give us exactly what we expect. Nothing more. Nothing less. When H4 launched the expectation was for FPS games to have loudouts, and perks, and killstreaks and sprint. That's what we got. When H5 launched the expectation was for FPS games to have thrust, and clamber, and double jump/floating, and ADS, and sprint. That's what we got. It's boring.

Give people something they don't expect. What they don't expect is a fast, visceral Halo built of a sprintless movement base.
I don't understand why the pro sprinters want to play halo, a game that has no population. It was an unfinished mess when it came out. There are so many games with sprint that implement it correctly. Why not have halo be the slower game millions of people loved. Then at least there is an alternative, excuse the pun change of pace, that people can play as well or instead of the others.
Dont you know, halo had to change or it would die! The saddest thing about the state of halo is its golden formula never had a chance to die, we saw changes for the sake of change.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
Concise and excellent explanation on why AA/SA's do enumerable damage to the game play mechanics established versus one use items and vehicular combat.
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
That doesn't mean that they don't destroy the triangle, which frankly is a made up idea that hasnt really been adhered to since Halo 2. Where does bubble shield, regenerator, power drain, or any other equipment fit into "weapons, grenades, melee"?
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
That doesn't mean that they don't destroy the triangle, which frankly is a made up idea that hasnt really been adhered to since Halo 2. Where does bubble shield, regenerator, power drain, or any other equipment fit into "weapons, grenades, melee"?
It wasnt properly adhered to in H2 with duel wielding, hence why they removed SMG starts. There isn't a zero sum argument here, its proportionality. The level of effect a bubble shield has over AA/SA's people can use every battle versus a one use item is immense and sincerely game changing.
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
Well said. It's similar to why dual wielding in Halo 3 doesn't break the triangle like it did in Halo 2. It's all about what the game encourages you to do.

The Golden Triangle has no concrete definition, but it I previously explained the intention of it.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
Because equipment was almost never used, had to be found on maps, and most of them still had little affect on gameplay.
I don't know about you but bubble shield, regen, and power drain were used all the time in my experience. The others, only on occasion. They were extremely irritating, and screwed up the flow. Much more than armor abilities ever did imo.
I disagree, AA's are far more likely to alter the established game-play mechanics than a one use, map pick-up item.
They are being deliberately annoying, don't fall for it.
He's literally disagreeing just to disagree with us at this point, even if it makes no sense.
No I'm not. That is literally how I feel. Quit grouping me into the pro sprint crowd. I recognize I'm in the minority. I know that full well. My least favorite Halo multiplayer is the most popular. I dislike Halo 3 multiplayer. That my opinion. In my opinion, due to their extreme lack of balance, even more so than AA, and their unpredictability, I feel like equipment was way worse for gameplay than AAs. But that's my opinion. And no, before you assume so, Halo 4 and Halo 5 are not my favorite multiplayers
How are equipment pickups worse? They were limited as not everyone could have one, you didn't spawn with them off the bat, and they had timed spawns just like power weapons. It's fine and dandy you don't like equipment, I don't either, but AA was much worse as they were the opposite of equipment pickups. I really don't understand how you can see equipment being more unpredictable than AAs were at all.
I found them more unpredictable for that very reason, they messed with the game flow.more than armor.abilities, but you didn't know when someone had one because they were map pickups. They were not balanced as well as AAs, and their spawn timers were much more akin to regular weapons like the BR, plasma rifle, or carbine. There was usually quite a few runningnaround on maps and it wasnt an uncommon occurance to see 2-3 bubble shields deployed next toneachother simultaneously. That did a number on game flow. Almost all the positives of armor lock, without the downside of being stationary. And they last much longer too
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
That doesn't mean that they don't destroy the triangle, which frankly is a made up idea that hasnt really been adhered to since Halo 2. Where does bubble shield, regenerator, power drain, or any other equipment fit into "weapons, grenades, melee"?
It wasnt properly adhered to in H2 with duel wielding, hence why they removed SMG starts. There isn't a zero sum argument here, its proportionality. The level of effect a bubble shield has over AA/SA's people can use every battle versus a one use item is immense and sincerely game changing.
So what you're saying is only Halo CE truly adhered to the golden triangle, but the just some of the other games did it better than others?
Although nearly everything 343 did to Halo has degraded the experience, Sprint is the single-worst addition (I'm aware Reach introduced it, but 343 doubled down).
Halo will never play like Halo until that -Yoink- is removed.
The "golden triangle" is such an ambiguous concept that anybody can twist it to mean whatever they want it to mean. The golden triangle is irrelevant. There are deeper concepts at play here, discuss those instead of using easily regurgitated buzzwords.
Richnj wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Halo was made with a 3 part formula set up in mind.

You have your grenades, melee, and weapons. Sprint wasn't a part of that. The formula changed with Reach, now it is generally accepted as one of the best Halos, so returning to a 4 part formula (AA, melee, grenade, gun like Reach) would probably still work.

Having the current gameplay with Charge, Thrust, GP, Sprint, grenade, melee, and weapons just won't work. 7 parts is 4 too many.

The population has also gone down faster in games that break the formula
Oh my... Again with the golden triangle crap... How in the world did H3 equipment fit in the triangle at all? They completely destroy it... Yet Halo 3 is the most successful Halo.

The formula is imaginary and to say that only halos like that are good, we'd be left with Halo 1 and 2.
That's like saying that power ups and vehicles completely destroy the triangle too.

AAs and SAs affect every fight you enter. Pick ups, and one use items like power ups, vehicles and equipment have to be collected, fought for and used correctly (i.e. not wasted or spammed).
That doesn't mean that they don't destroy the triangle, which frankly is a made up idea that hasnt really been adhered to since Halo 2. Where does bubble shield, regenerator, power drain, or any other equipment fit into "weapons, grenades, melee"?
It wasnt properly adhered to in H2 with duel wielding, hence why they removed SMG starts. There isn't a zero sum argument here, its proportionality. The level of effect a bubble shield has over AA/SA's people can use every battle versus a one use item is immense and sincerely game changing.
So what you're saying is only Halo CE truly adhered to the golden triangle, but the just some of the other games did it better than others?
I think what people are getting confused on here is the basic philosophy behind the "Golden Triangle". People either don't recall with much detail (or conveniently forget) exactly what its philosophy was. It's basically little more than an arguing point.

I wish I knew if the OG Vidoc series was still available. The one that had Halo CE's devs talking about the basic concepts of the game. If I did, I'd post a link. But basically, this is what they said about the Golden Triangle.

First, it was basic abilities that all Spartans spawned with. Weapons, grenades, melee. They spawned with nothing more, they spawned with nothing less.

Next, you should be able to deal with any situation in the game by using any combination of those abilities.

It really was that simple and applying that criteria can settle many of these incessant arguments about what does and does not "ruin" the Golden Triangle. AA's (if memory serves) were the first thing to disrupt it, because I believe you spawned with them. Other than that, equipment, vehicles and all these other arguing points do not and if you apply the criteria, it becomes easy to see why.

EDIT: I also tend to agree with tsassi, at least on the relevance...
tsassi wrote:
The "golden triangle" is such an ambiguous concept that anybody can twist it to mean whatever they want it to mean. The golden triangle is irrelevant. There are deeper concepts at play here, discuss those instead of using easily regurgitated buzzwords.
Thanks for talking about that, since arguing against sprint doesn't even require mentioning the concept of the Golden Triangle.
As a player since halo ce i like the sprint it gives a chance to run before getting sniped off. In my opinion it gives it a more competitive sense so you have to out maneuver your oppent instead of just getting behind them.
TryHardFan wrote:
tsassi wrote:
The "golden triangle" is such an ambiguous concept that anybody can twist it to mean whatever they want it to mean. The golden triangle is irrelevant. There are deeper concepts at play here, discuss those instead of using easily regurgitated buzzwords.
Thanks for talking about that, since arguing against sprint doesn't even require mentioning the concept of the Golden Triangle.
Exactly, it doesn't need to be constantly brought up
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 619
  4. 620
  5. 621
  6. 622
  7. 623
  8. ...
  9. 829