3. 710
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. ...
  9. 830
tsassi wrote:
You movd slower in halo 5 than aby other halo because sprint is inbthe game.
Actually, the base movement speed in Halo 5 is 15% faster than in the original trilogy.
Which is negated by the increased map size. While technically you're correct, I would say that B4gs 4 Days is the one who is "right." True, in Halo 5 you move faster than you did in the original trilogy (note: I didn't research this, but tsassi has proven to be reliable thus far, and has stayed objective, so I have no problem believing this is true) but due to Halo 5's map design, which is stretched to accommodate sprint, you move across the map at a slower rate. I would say that how fast you move across the map is far more important than your UPS speed (Units Per Second for those who aren't familiar). It's how the speed feels that's important. Imagine playing two different hypothetical Halo games on the same hypothetical map. Both games are identical except for the fact that in our "control" game base speed is 100% and the size of the map is 100%. In the other game, base speed is 120%, but the map is scaled up 130%. In the second game, you're moving faster, but you'll get to each point slower than you would in game one, because the map size has also been increased. Obviously, you'll feel like you're moving faster in the first game, and for all intents and purposes, you are. While technically you are moving faster in game two, you're moving slower in relation to your surroundings than in game one, which is what really matters in a game. Of course, this doesn't take into account spartan abilities and sprint, but that's a whole other conversation in and of itself.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Well, that was a rather rude way to rebut someone's (albeit lackluster) pro sprint argument. They don't have to "stop playing Halo" just because you don't like sprint. As for Zr0Fear's comment, you do realize that was a sarcastic joke comment from a year ago, right?
tsassi wrote:
Actually, the base movement speed in Halo 5 is 15% faster than in the original trilogy.
Which is negated by the increased map size. While technically you're correct, I would say that B4gs 4 Days is the one who is "right." True, in Halo 5 you move faster than you did in the original trilogy (note: I didn't research this, but tsassi has proven to be reliable thus far, and has stayed objective, so I have no problem believing this is true) but due to Halo 5's map design, which is stretched to accommodate sprint, you move across the map at a slower rate. I would say that how fast you move across the map is far more important than your UPS speed (Units Per Second for those who aren't familiar). It's how the speed feels that's important. Imagine playing two different hypothetical Halo games on the same hypothetical map. Both games are identical except for the fact that in our "control" game base speed is 100% and the size of the map is 100%. In the other game, base speed is 120%, but the map is scaled up 130%. In the second game, you're moving faster, but you'll get to each point slower than you would in game one, because the map size has also been increased. Obviously, you'll feel like you're moving faster in the first game, and for all intents and purposes, you are. While technically you are moving faster in game two, you're moving slower in relation to your surroundings than in game one, which is what really matters in a game. Of course, this doesn't take into account spartan abilities and sprint, but that's a whole other conversation in and of itself.
Yes, this is something I've discussed many times. But when someone says "you movd slower in halo 5", I can only interpret that the preson is under the false impression Halo 5 has a slower base movement speed. How this affects travel times when map design is taken into account is a separate discussion.
tsassi wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Yes, this is something I've discussed many times. But when someone says "you movd slower in halo 5", I can only interpret that the preson is under the false impression Halo 5 has a slower base movement speed. How this affects travel times when map design is taken into account is a separate discussion.
Fair.
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Yeah I think sprint needs to stay.
Why?

It's so janky not being able to move and shoot at the same time.

Sprint makes halo feel like old school resident evil lol
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

Sprint really just is clunky. You go faster, but at the cost of not being able to use any of your weapons/most abilities. I feel like the people who think sprint makes games fast are the people who have never played a truly fast FPS game like Quake.
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

Sprint really just is clunky. You go faster, but at the cost of not being able to use any of your weapons/most abilities. I feel like the people who think sprint makes games fast are the people who have never played a truly fast FPS game like Quake.
I like sprint mostly because it allows for much faster than sprint movements where you can slide boost across the map in seconds or to reach a ledge twice the height of a normal jump. Finding a way to still slide boosts while removing sprint would be a fine alternative.

Not to mention slide boosting allows you to shoot/etc as well while travelling at a faster speed than normal sprinting. Sprinting adds another skill to master in this game which helps increase the skill gap in my opinion. Unfortunately this whole topic is always debatable and will likely continue to be around for as long as Halo continues to exist.
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

I like sprint mostly because it allows for much faster than sprint movements where you can slide boost across the map in seconds or to reach a ledge twice the height of a normal jump. Finding a way to still slide boosts while removing sprint would be a fine alternative.

Not to mention slide boosting allows you to shoot/etc as well while travelling at a faster speed than normal sprinting.
Only while moving forwards though.

That's the problem with sprint. Its so linear. So limiting.

And no. Sprint does not increase skill gap.
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

Not to mention slide boosting allows you to shoot/etc as well while travelling at a faster speed than normal sprinting. Sprinting adds another skill to master in this game which helps increase the skill gap in my opinion. Unfortunately this whole topic is always debatable and will likely continue to be around for as long as Halo continues to exist.
I've always loved mobility tricks in games, so I see where you're coming from, but sprint is just so limiting. I have an idea for slide without sprint that essentially functions like thrusters, except a slide. That could possibly work, but preferably we would have it where maybe you could only slide in a short window of time after thrusting.
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

-------------------------------

Not to mention slide boosting allows you to shoot/etc as well while travelling at a faster speed than normal sprinting.

Sprint is more of a side-grade in terms of 'skill' than anything else. It provides different challenges than the base movement speed.
This doesn't afford it acceptance in my mind however, as ultimately Sprint ruins the pacing of the game by creating stop-start scenarios and leading to periods of time where multiple players are just chasing each other.

I don't like that, rather than having one high speed, in Halo 4 and 5, you have two, the combat is tied to the slower of the two, while the maps are designed around the faster of the two, which creates a disconnect.
In Reach, a lot of the defences for Sprint hold up because it legitimately is a boost of speed, the maps being designed around the slower of the two speeds as it was optional, meaning that 'classic' gameplay was also still very much possible. This isn't the case in 4 or 5 and it's what causes some of the issues people have with the gameplay.
I'm also not a fan of Sprint because it reduces the usefulness of Vehicles, particularly as a traversal mechanic but also in terms of combat, (with the exception of the Aerial vehicles of course).
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

I see the point about moving forward, though when slide boosting you can be facing any way with it. I often use it while getting space between someone behind me, slide boost forward while pulling a 180 and getting better shots off on them. Though I also have 10 sens so it is easier to do those quick turns. And I think we will have to agree to disagree about the sprint and the skill gap issue. I think the way it is to be put is it lowers the skill floor, meaning beginners and intermediate players have a wider gap between skill between their different uses of sprint, while the skill ceiling is about the same.
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

I've always loved mobility tricks in games, so I see where you're coming from, but sprint is just so limiting. I have an idea for slide without sprint that essentially functions like thrusters, except a slide. That could possibly work, but preferably we would have it where maybe you could only slide in a short window of time after thrusting.
I can go either way with having sprint or removing it, but I just love bum-jumping and slide boosting way to much to lose that aspect of the game. If we had a quicker base movement speed without sprint but could still use slide(maybe when walking max speed or something) I would be down with that.
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

Sprint is more of a side-grade in terms of 'skill' than anything else. It provides different challenges than the base movement speed.
This doesn't afford it acceptance in my mind however, as ultimately Sprint ruins the pacing of the game by creating stop-start scenarios and leading to periods of time where multiple players are just chasing each other.

Rather than having one high speed, in Halo 4 and 5, you have two, the combat is tied to the slower of the two, while the maps are designed around the faster of the two, which creates a disconnect.
In Reach, a lot of the defences for Sprint hold up because it legitimately is a boost of speed, the maps being designed around the slower of the two speeds as it was optional, meaning that 'classic' gameplay was also still very much possible. This isn't the case in 4 or 5 and it's what causes some of the issues people have with the gameplay.
I'm also not a fan of Sprint because it reduces the usefulness of Vehicles, particularly as a traversal mechanic but also in terms of combat, (with the exception of the Aerial vehicles of course).
You put that very well. The usefulness of vehicles is affected, especially warzone where you also have speed boosts and weapon boosts(like running faster with swords, etc) that make being in a Scorpion or something pretty useless. (Though to be fair balance isn't really the point of warzone)

A quicker base movement speed but keeping sprint the way it is currently would be a good compromise in my opinion. Then sprint will simply be used to perform trick jumps or slides without being "necessary" for map movement.
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

---------------------
...I'm also not a fan of Sprint because it reduces the usefulness of Vehicles, particularly as a traversal mechanic but also in terms of combat, (with the exception of the Aerial vehicles of course).
You put that very well. The usefulness of vehicles is affected, especially warzone where you also have speed boosts and weapon boosts(like running faster with swords, etc) that make being in a Scorpion or something pretty useless. (Though to be fair balance isn't really the point of warzone)

A quicker base movement speed but keeping sprint the way it is currently would be a good compromise in my opinion. Then sprint will simply be used to perform trick jumps or slides without being "necessary" for map movement.
No see, my argument is that the presence of Sprint in any capacity reduces the effectiveness of vehicles, in general, not just Warzone, but in BTB, in Halo 4, and to a lesser extent Halo Reach.
Increasing the base movement speed would do nothing but worsen the issue. I mean, if you can move even faster normally, but don't remove Sprint, then there's even less reason to use a Mongoose or Warthog, and slow moving vehicles like the Scorpion become even easier targets, it damages an entire pillar of Halo's gameplay for the sake of building a newer, yet much flimsier one, which I'm not a fan of, personally.
One thing I'll also say, if 343 implement movement mechanics, they, by the principle of design, have to design around them, so those mechanics being present makes them 'necessary' by definition. If they're there, the game is going to be designed so that you need to use them, otherwise there's no point in them being there, basically.
H8TRFFC wrote:
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

---------------------
...I'm also not a fan of Sprint because it reduces the usefulness of Vehicles, particularly as a traversal mechanic but also in terms of combat, (with the exception of the Aerial vehicles of course).

No see, my argument is that the presence of Sprint in any capacity reduces the effectiveness of vehicles, in general, not just Warzone, but in BTB, in Halo 4, and to a lesser extent Halo Reach.
Increasing the base movement speed would do nothing but worsen the issue. I mean, if you can move even faster normally, but don't remove Sprint, then there's even less reason to use a Mongoose or Warthog, and slow moving vehicles like the Scorpion become even easier targets, it damages an entire pillar of Halo's gameplay for the sake of building a newer, yet much flimsier one, which I'm not a fan of, personally.
One thing I'll also say, if 343 implement movement mechanics, they, by the principle of design, have to design around them, so those mechanics being present makes them 'necessary' by definition. If they're there, the game is going to be designed so that you need to use them, otherwise there's no point in them being there, basically.
So make them go faster too?
Benti86 wrote:
H8TRFFC wrote:
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

---------------------
...A quicker base movement speed but keeping sprint the way it is currently would be a good compromise in my opinion. Then sprint will simply be used to perform trick jumps or slides without being "necessary" for map movement.
So make them go faster too?
...no, remove Sprint but increase the base movement speed marginally, back up to Halo 2 or so.

Then you have combat and movement occurring on the same plane, and you are always ready to engage other players immediately, which ironically, increases the pace of the game while improving its flow.
Vehicles become a viable traversal method again, and become more effective given player's lack of means to escape and flank (requiring skill and timing rather than mechanics and trigger spam).
Fewer mobility mechanics to account for allows for more creative freedom in maps, perhaps returning to the Halo 2 and 3 system of interactive environment pieces to make them unique (and potentially offering more variety as well).

Less mechanics to learn also means lower skill floor, which makes the game more accessible for new players, and brings back the need to learn grenade jumping, crouch jumping, strafing, etc. which simultaneously raises the skill ceiling, extending the skill gap at both ends and creating that golden standard critics like to tout, "Easy to play, difficult to master".
You know, the elements of the gameplay that everyone used to praise when they were culturally relevant.
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

I don't like that, rather than having one high speed, in Halo 4 and 5, you have two, the combat is tied to the slower of the two, while the maps are designed around the faster of the two, which creates a disconnect.
you could simply make the sprint button a slide button with a cooldown and a required move input. if any has played the new unreal tournament game on pc they u can slide and they don't have sprint.
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

you could simply make the sprint button a slide button with a cooldown and a required move input. if any has played the new unreal tournament game on pc they u can slide and they don't have sprint.
Slide is a separate issue, one which I find far less egregious than Sprint, but I'd say that Slide being a momentum based mechanic by nature rather than 'press 'X' to slide 'X' distance', it wouldn't function very well without Sprint unless we crank up the base movement speed to Quake and UT levels, which presents it's own set of problems.
H8TRFFC wrote:
H8TRFFC wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
IB Meta wrote:
xXMrSpecXx wrote:
Why?

Slide is a separate issue, one which I find far less egregious than Sprint, but I'd say that Slide being a momentum based mechanic by nature rather than 'press 'X' to slide 'X' distance', it wouldn't function very well without Sprint unless we crank up the base movement speed to Quake and UT levels, which presents it's own set of problems.
Why do you think Halo had to use slower movement speed in the first place? Quake style movement speeds just don't translate well to a gamepad with joysticks as opposed to mouse and keyboard.
H8TRFFC wrote:
...no, remove Sprint but increase the base movement speed marginally, back up to Halo 2 or so.
I hate to repeat myself constantly, but the base movement speed in Halo 5 is already 15% faster than in Halo 2. The base movement speed is the least of Halo 5's issues (unless one thinks it's too fast).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 710
  4. 711
  5. 712
  6. 713
  7. 714
  8. ...
  9. 830