Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 771
  4. 772
  5. 773
  6. 774
  7. 775
  8. ...
  9. 840
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Itz Nater wrote:
Why wouldn't 343 just increase the base movement speed and go back to innovating through the sandbox? Halo 2 and 3 proved a game can evolve without drastically changing it's core mechanics
Because they want you to be immersed and feel like a super soldier and I'm not even joking. For the other point, it's not even just for sprint, but for everything. With H4, it's like they took every idea that someone had and crammed it into the game while changing things just to change them. It seems to me that they either don't have any idea how to do what you suggested with evolving or they don't care.
I'm glad you mentioned that cause it's honestly so backwards for me. I felt more like a spartan when I wasn't restricted with all these game changing mechanics. I didn't need sprint because I could already run faster than any normal human, I didn't need clamber because I could already jump higher than any normal human, and of course I didn't need ADS because I could already kill quicker than any normal human. It also helped that in the campaigns the unsc were always the underdogs and it actually felt like humanity's fate rested on your shoulders, the ultimate power trip lol.
Bxnnyson wrote:
Ok, first point. Unless Spartan’s are not human and do not have human muscular anatomy, your point is moot. Have you ever seen anyone sprint with still hands?
Yes. I can literally do this myself.

Bxnnyson wrote:
Moving your arms back and forth is a natural part of sprinting.
Natural, yes. But in no way required. Arm swinging provides counterbalance to the torque created by hitting the ground with your feet off-center. You can counter the torque in a number of different ways, including pelvis rotation, torso rotation, etc.

Here's a paper investigating metabolic cost of four different running methods, three of which don't involve arm swinging.
Bxnnyson wrote:
Even then though, even a Spartan wouldn’t have steady aim while sprinting, they wouldn’t even be in the right position to shoot, as the back needs to be bent to sprint.
Usain Bolt's 100m sprint world record. No back bent.
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
sprint needs to stay, its a staple of modern fps games and has been in halo long enough that removing it would upset more than enough players and could potentially ruin the game in general.
So the only reason it has to stay is because it's on some bucket list of features required in "modern games"? A list I've asked for but not a single person has been able to show me.
list of games with sprint:
  • Battlefield
  • HALO
  • COD
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Far Cry
  • Titan Fall
  • Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are the most relevant FPS games with sprint
And each of those games plays drastically differently, it's just that they all have Sprint. What point are you making here, exactly?
DOOM is also a relevant FPS. Doesn't have Sprint.
ok, doom is one game. AND ITS BASICALLY A REMAKE AND PLAYS FAST sooooooooooo
Typing in caps doesn't make your point any stronger.

Even without Sprint, Halo CE is still the fastest playing Halo game in the series. There's nothing stopping Halo from playing faster if they increase the BMS and remove Sprint. That'd actually fix a lot of the issues that people have with hitscan weapons.

And just because modern games have sprint doesn't mean that Halo has to have it. There's nothing stating that a game has to have certain features in order to be considered good.
CS:GO doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game. TF2 doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly poor.
thats you r opinion lol, halo under 343 will most likely have sprint. Theres plenty of FPS games without sprint and plenty with. not sure why listing three would make you think you're some how proving me wrong lmao
So are you saying that games without Sprint can continue to be relevant then?
yes, but its been in Halo Reach,4, and 5. 343 is most likely going to continue in this direction. Classic halo movement is a thing of the past, and thats a fact... the past two (4 and 5) have had sprint (halo reach is in an awkward spot for this) theres no real sign that 343 will remove sprint as a whole.
Do you know what else has been a thing of the past? halo 4, halo 5 and MCC 1 month after launch onwards.
Halo to xbox is like Crash to the PS1, Ratchet and clank or GTA to the PS2, Mario or Zelda to nintendo, half life to PC..It's a flagship title, one when under 343 sinks below the top 10 played online within a month. 2, 3 or reach didn't sink out of the top 10 ever during their life span, how weak is that?

Are you saying halo 4 or 5 are relevant then? What do they have that's worth defending?

Those of us who want classic settings most likely don't want the sluggish movement of halo 3, the competitive scene of halo was a tight knit group of 3 regions (Americas, Europe, Oceania) and we all agreed to up the movement speed and acceleration of H3s movement because it was sluggish. We do want a quick and fast game, halo 2 is a good example of that, increase FOV and move speed slightly and you're golden.

All these movement options make you cross terrain faster, even with the map increase..but since you can't shoot or turn or recharge shields while using them they are used as an escape tool, that is why the game is cat and mouse, you cant chase a kill as they are running as fast as you toward their team, even if they're in the open they're far more evasive. It's so easy to not die in halo 5 the game has become slower, at least the progression of the game has.

Halo would be far easier to design maps and weapons around if it had 1 mode of movement, that's the crux of the issue we want 1 mode of speed.

If you could shoot while sprinting their would be no need for the slower speed and it would just be more tedious and frustrating to push a button to use a mode that should always be active.

In the current state or in the limited state like reach all it does is gimp the player trying to be offensive and give many options to the player trying to be defensive, making for a slower game

There is no 3rd example, sprint has no meaningful inclusion in halo.

ALSO
list of games with sprint:
Battlefield
HALO
COD
Rainbow Six Siege
Far Cry
Titan Fall
Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are some the most relevant FPS games with sprint

Bioshock isn't a relevant shooter, Far cry doesn't have a relevant multiplayer, Titanfall is a dead game, Battlefield is struggling far more than in the past and needs sprint because the maps are 10 times the size of a halo 4v4 map, CoD is instakill so map control isn't that important and sprint is severely punished, rainbow six siege is a round based attack/defend game and doesn't have much use of sprint within a match, since it is severely punished, also star wars battlefront, crysis and destiny i'd also consider dead games.

halo has a long kill time, halo has a lot of emphasis on team play, map control and just possession in general; it also has a decent amount of enclosed spaces. Sprint can be used in most circumstances and without a power weapon can't be punished too easily, it is too defensive and rewarding and the cat and mouse gameplay it creates single-handedly is one of the main reasons halo is having the life sucked out of it, it's a mechanic that only serves to create tedium, frustration and defensive gameplay.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
sprint needs to stay, its a staple of modern fps games and has been in halo long enough that removing it would upset more than enough players and could potentially ruin the game in general.
So the only reason it has to stay is because it's on some bucket list of features required in "modern games"? A list I've asked for but not a single person has been able to show me.
list of games with sprint:
  • Battlefield
  • HALO
  • COD
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Far Cry
  • Titan Fall
  • Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are the most relevant FPS games with sprint
And each of those games plays drastically differently, it's just that they all have Sprint. What point are you making here, exactly?
DOOM is also a relevant FPS. Doesn't have Sprint.
ok, doom is one game. AND ITS BASICALLY A REMAKE AND PLAYS FAST sooooooooooo
Typing in caps doesn't make your point any stronger.

Even without Sprint, Halo CE is still the fastest playing Halo game in the series. There's nothing stopping Halo from playing faster if they increase the BMS and remove Sprint. That'd actually fix a lot of the issues that people have with hitscan weapons.

And just because modern games have sprint doesn't mean that Halo has to have it. There's nothing stating that a game has to have certain features in order to be considered good.
CS:GO doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game. TF2 doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly poor.
thats you r opinion lol, halo under 343 will most likely have sprint. Theres plenty of FPS games without sprint and plenty with. not sure why listing three would make you think you're some how proving me wrong lmao
So are you saying that games without Sprint can continue to be relevant then?
yes, but its been in Halo Reach,4, and 5. 343 is most likely going to continue in this direction. Classic halo movement is a thing of the past, and thats a fact... the past two (4 and 5) have had sprint (halo reach is in an awkward spot for this) theres no real sign that 343 will remove sprint as a whole.
~snip~
Have a feeling you did, but you just don't know how to respond to any of it.
This is part of the argumentation process. You have to respond to people who make points against you. Otherwise, your argument can't stand.

As for what CelticDragon said... He said it well. Good job, Celtic.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
sprint needs to stay, its a staple of modern fps games and has been in halo long enough that removing it would upset more than enough players and could potentially ruin the game in general.
So the only reason it has to stay is because it's on some bucket list of features required in "modern games"? A list I've asked for but not a single person has been able to show me.
list of games with sprint:
  • Battlefield
  • HALO
  • COD
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Far Cry
  • Titan Fall
  • Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are the most relevant FPS games with sprint
And each of those games plays drastically differently, it's just that they all have Sprint. What point are you making here, exactly?
DOOM is also a relevant FPS. Doesn't have Sprint.
ok, doom is one game. AND ITS BASICALLY A REMAKE AND PLAYS FAST sooooooooooo
Typing in caps doesn't make your point any stronger.

Even without Sprint, Halo CE is still the fastest playing Halo game in the series. There's nothing stopping Halo from playing faster if they increase the BMS and remove Sprint. That'd actually fix a lot of the issues that people have with hitscan weapons.

And just because modern games have sprint doesn't mean that Halo has to have it. There's nothing stating that a game has to have certain features in order to be considered good.
CS:GO doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game. TF2 doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly poor.
thats you r opinion lol, halo under 343 will most likely have sprint. Theres plenty of FPS games without sprint and plenty with. not sure why listing three would make you think you're some how proving me wrong lmao
So are you saying that games without Sprint can continue to be relevant then?
yes, but its been in Halo Reach,4, and 5. 343 is most likely going to continue in this direction. Classic halo movement is a thing of the past, and thats a fact... the past two (4 and 5) have had sprint (halo reach is in an awkward spot for this) theres no real sign that 343 will remove sprint as a whole.
Do you know what else has been a thing of the past? halo 4, halo 5 and MCC 1 month after launch onwards.
Halo to xbox is like Crash to the PS1, Ratchet and clank or GTA to the PS2, Mario or Zelda to nintendo, half life to PC..It's a flagship title, one when under 343 sinks below the top 10 played online within a month. 2, 3 or reach didn't sink out of the top 10 ever during their life span, how weak is that?

Are you saying halo 4 or 5 are relevant then? What do they have that's worth defending?

Those of us who want classic settings most likely don't want the sluggish movement of halo 3, the competitive scene of halo was a tight knit group of 3 regions (Americas, Europe, Oceania) and we all agreed to up the movement speed and acceleration of H3s movement because it was sluggish. We do want a quick and fast game, halo 2 is a good example of that, increase FOV and move speed slightly and you're golden.

All these movement options make you cross terrain faster, even with the map increase..but since you can't shoot or turn or recharge shields while using them they are used as an escape tool, that is why the game is cat and mouse, you cant chase a kill as they are running as fast as you toward their team, even if they're in the open they're far more evasive. It's so easy to not die in halo 5 the game has become slower, at least the progression of the game has.

Halo would be far easier to design maps and weapons around if it had 1 mode of movement, that's the crux of the issue we want 1 mode of speed.

If you could shoot while sprinting their would be no need for the slower speed and it would just be more tedious and frustrating to push a button to use a mode that should always be active.

In the current state or in the limited state like reach all it does is gimp the player trying to be offensive and give many options to the player trying to be defensive, making for a slower game

There is no 3rd example, sprint has no meaningful inclusion in halo.

ALSO
list of games with sprint:
Battlefield
HALO
COD
Rainbow Six Siege
Far Cry
Titan Fall
Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are some the most relevant FPS games with sprint

Bioshock isn't a relevant shooter, Far cry doesn't have a relevant multiplayer, Titanfall is a dead game, Battlefield is struggling far more than in the past and needs sprint because the maps are 10 times the size of a halo 4v4 map, CoD is instakill so map control isn't that important and sprint is severely punished, rainbow six siege is a round based attack/defend game and doesn't have much use of sprint within a match, since it is severely punished, also star wars battlefront, crysis and destiny i'd also consider dead games.

halo has a long kill time, halo has a lot of emphasis on team play, map control and just possession in general; it also has a decent amount of enclosed spaces. Sprint can be used in most circumstances and without a power weapon can't be punished too easily, it is too defensive and rewarding and the cat and mouse gameplay it creates single-handedly is one of the main reasons halo is having the life sucked out of it, it's a mechanic that only serves to create tedium, frustration and defensive gameplay.
Have a feeling you did, but you just don't know how to respond to any of it.
This is part of the argumentation process. You have to respond to people who make points against you. Otherwise, your argument can't stand.

As for what CelticDragon said... He said it well. Good job, Celtic.
Your prerogative... the first stage is always denial. Great response Celtic. I agree on all points.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

This post has been hidden.

4
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show

This post has been hidden.

2
Unknown wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
sprint needs to stay, its a staple of modern fps games and has been in halo long enough that removing it would upset more than enough players and could potentially ruin the game in general.
So the only reason it has to stay is because it's on some bucket list of features required in "modern games"? A list I've asked for but not a single person has been able to show me.
list of games with sprint:
  • Battlefield
  • HALO
  • COD
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Far Cry
  • Titan Fall
  • Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are the most relevant FPS games with sprint
And each of those games plays drastically differently, it's just that they all have Sprint. What point are you making here, exactly?
DOOM is also a relevant FPS. Doesn't have Sprint.
ok, doom is one game. AND ITS BASICALLY A REMAKE AND PLAYS FAST sooooooooooo
Typing in caps doesn't make your point any stronger.

Even without Sprint, Halo CE is still the fastest playing Halo game in the series. There's nothing stopping Halo from playing faster if they increase the BMS and remove Sprint. That'd actually fix a lot of the issues that people have with hitscan weapons.

And just because modern games have sprint doesn't mean that Halo has to have it. There's nothing stating that a game has to have certain features in order to be considered good.
CS:GO doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game. TF2 doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly poor.
thats you r opinion lol, halo under 343 will most likely have sprint. Theres plenty of FPS games without sprint and plenty with. not sure why listing three would make you think you're some how proving me wrong lmao
So are you saying that games without Sprint can continue to be relevant then?
yes, but its been in Halo Reach,4, and 5. 343 is most likely going to continue in this direction. Classic halo movement is a thing of the past, and thats a fact... the past two (4 and 5) have had sprint (halo reach is in an awkward spot for this) theres no real sign that 343 will remove sprint as a whole.
Do you know what else has been a thing of the past? halo 4, halo 5 and MCC 1 month after launch onwards.
Halo to xbox is like Crash to the PS1, Ratchet and clank or GTA to the PS2, Mario or Zelda to nintendo, half life to PC..It's a flagship title, one when under 343 sinks below the top 10 played online within a month. 2, 3 or reach didn't sink out of the top 10 ever during their life span, how weak is that?

Are you saying halo 4 or 5 are relevant then? What do they have that's worth defending?

Those of us who want classic settings most likely don't want the sluggish movement of halo 3, the competitive scene of halo was a tight knit group of 3 regions (Americas, Europe, Oceania) and we all agreed to up the movement speed and acceleration of H3s movement because it was sluggish. We do want a quick and fast game, halo 2 is a good example of that, increase FOV and move speed slightly and you're golden.

All these movement options make you cross terrain faster, even with the map increase..but since you can't shoot or turn or recharge shields while using them they are used as an escape tool, that is why the game is cat and mouse, you cant chase a kill as they are running as fast as you toward their team, even if they're in the open they're far more evasive. It's so easy to not die in halo 5 the game has become slower, at least the progression of the game has.

Halo would be far easier to design maps and weapons around if it had 1 mode of movement, that's the crux of the issue we want 1 mode of speed.

If you could shoot while sprinting their would be no need for the slower speed and it would just be more tedious and frustrating to push a button to use a mode that should always be active.

In the current state or in the limited state like reach all it does is gimp the player trying to be offensive and give many options to the player trying to be defensive, making for a slower game

There is no 3rd example, sprint has no meaningful inclusion in halo.

ALSO
list of games with sprint:
Battlefield
HALO
COD
Rainbow Six Siege
Far Cry
Titan Fall
Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are some the most relevant FPS games with sprint

Bioshock isn't a relevant shooter, Far cry doesn't have a relevant multiplayer, Titanfall is a dead game, Battlefield is struggling far more than in the past and needs sprint because the maps are 10 times the size of a halo 4v4 map, CoD is instakill so map control isn't that important and sprint is severely punished, rainbow six siege is a round based attack/defend game and doesn't have much use of sprint within a match, since it is severely punished, also star wars battlefront, crysis and destiny i'd also consider dead games.

halo has a long kill time, halo has a lot of emphasis on team play, map control and just possession in general; it also has a decent amount of enclosed spaces. Sprint can be used in most circumstances and without a power weapon can't be punished too easily, it is too defensive and rewarding and the cat and mouse gameplay it creates single-handedly is one of the main reasons halo is having the life sucked out of it, it's a mechanic that only serves to create tedium, frustration and defensive gameplay.
yeah, i'm not reading all of that.
I'm not butting in anymore, but they're saying sprint makes Halo play more defensively because of the long time to kill and map control being essential to the game, and a bunch of games with sprint are either dead or dying.

Quote them, not me if you want to respond.
How? I'm just summarizing what they said.

I'm against sprint in Halo, but wouldn't mind it as an Armor Ability map pickup, after a map has been completely designed. For example, if Sandtrap was for some reason remade for Reach's MLG playlist, it could have had sprint pickups in the small pyramid things spread around the map to help traversal while vehicles respawned.
oh, sry... misread something in there lel
Sypriz wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Unknown wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
sprint needs to stay, its a staple of modern fps games and has been in halo long enough that removing it would upset more than enough players and could potentially ruin the game in general.
So the only reason it has to stay is because it's on some bucket list of features required in "modern games"? A list I've asked for but not a single person has been able to show me.
list of games with sprint:
  • Battlefield
  • HALO
  • COD
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Far Cry
  • Titan Fall
  • Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are the most relevant FPS games with sprint
And each of those games plays drastically differently, it's just that they all have Sprint. What point are you making here, exactly?
DOOM is also a relevant FPS. Doesn't have Sprint.
ok, doom is one game. AND ITS BASICALLY A REMAKE AND PLAYS FAST sooooooooooo
Typing in caps doesn't make your point any stronger.

Even without Sprint, Halo CE is still the fastest playing Halo game in the series. There's nothing stopping Halo from playing faster if they increase the BMS and remove Sprint. That'd actually fix a lot of the issues that people have with hitscan weapons.

And just because modern games have sprint doesn't mean that Halo has to have it. There's nothing stating that a game has to have certain features in order to be considered good.
CS:GO doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game. TF2 doesn't have ADS or Sprint. It's still a huge game.
Your arguments are becoming increasingly poor.
thats you r opinion lol, halo under 343 will most likely have sprint. Theres plenty of FPS games without sprint and plenty with. not sure why listing three would make you think you're some how proving me wrong lmao
So are you saying that games without Sprint can continue to be relevant then?
yes, but its been in Halo Reach,4, and 5. 343 is most likely going to continue in this direction. Classic halo movement is a thing of the past, and thats a fact... the past two (4 and 5) have had sprint (halo reach is in an awkward spot for this) theres no real sign that 343 will remove sprint as a whole.
Do you know what else has been a thing of the past? halo 4, halo 5 and MCC 1 month after launch onwards.
Halo to xbox is like Crash to the PS1, Ratchet and clank or GTA to the PS2, Mario or Zelda to nintendo, half life to PC..It's a flagship title, one when under 343 sinks below the top 10 played online within a month. 2, 3 or reach didn't sink out of the top 10 ever during their life span, how weak is that?

Are you saying halo 4 or 5 are relevant then? What do they have that's worth defending?

Those of us who want classic settings most likely don't want the sluggish movement of halo 3, the competitive scene of halo was a tight knit group of 3 regions (Americas, Europe, Oceania) and we all agreed to up the movement speed and acceleration of H3s movement because it was sluggish. We do want a quick and fast game, halo 2 is a good example of that, increase FOV and move speed slightly and you're golden.

All these movement options make you cross terrain faster, even with the map increase..but since you can't shoot or turn or recharge shields while using them they are used as an escape tool, that is why the game is cat and mouse, you cant chase a kill as they are running as fast as you toward their team, even if they're in the open they're far more evasive. It's so easy to not die in halo 5 the game has become slower, at least the progression of the game has.

Halo would be far easier to design maps and weapons around if it had 1 mode of movement, that's the crux of the issue we want 1 mode of speed.

If you could shoot while sprinting their would be no need for the slower speed and it would just be more tedious and frustrating to push a button to use a mode that should always be active.

In the current state or in the limited state like reach all it does is gimp the player trying to be offensive and give many options to the player trying to be defensive, making for a slower game

There is no 3rd example, sprint has no meaningful inclusion in halo.

ALSO
list of games with sprint:
Battlefield
HALO
COD
Rainbow Six Siege
Far Cry
Titan Fall
Bioshock
i could go on, but its pointless. these are some the most relevant FPS games with sprint

Bioshock isn't a relevant shooter, Far cry doesn't have a relevant multiplayer, Titanfall is a dead game, Battlefield is struggling far more than in the past and needs sprint because the maps are 10 times the size of a halo 4v4 map, CoD is instakill so map control isn't that important and sprint is severely punished, rainbow six siege is a round based attack/defend game and doesn't have much use of sprint within a match, since it is severely punished, also star wars battlefront, crysis and destiny i'd also consider dead games.

halo has a long kill time, halo has a lot of emphasis on team play, map control and just possession in general; it also has a decent amount of enclosed spaces. Sprint can be used in most circumstances and without a power weapon can't be punished too easily, it is too defensive and rewarding and the cat and mouse gameplay it creates single-handedly is one of the main reasons halo is having the life sucked out of it, it's a mechanic that only serves to create tedium, frustration and defensive gameplay.
yeah, i'm not reading all of that.
I'm not butting in anymore, but they're saying sprint makes Halo play more defensively because of the long time to kill and map control being essential to the game, and a bunch of games with sprint are either dead or dying.

Quote them, not me if you want to respond.
How? I'm just summarizing what they said.

I'm against sprint in Halo, but wouldn't mind it as an Armor Ability map pickup, after a map has been completely designed. For example, if Sandtrap was for some reason remade for Reach's MLG playlist, it could have had sprint pickups in the small pyramid things spread around the map to help traversal while vehicles respawned.
oh, sry... misread something in there lel
Even though i shouldn't for someone so rude i'll tl;dr my post just this once

You can only be offensive when you aren't sprinting, but when you are sprinting you can escape most of the offence thrown at you, making for a slower, tedious, frustrating and defensive game.

There is no need for 2 modes of speed, if you can shoot while sprinting then there is no use for the slower speed and pressing a button all the time would be annoying, just make the faster speed the default speed. In it's current state or like reach if you have to sacrifice powerful movement to shoot someone, unless the kill time is like CoD (instant..it isn't) then most people sprinting live until a power weapon or teamshot kills them.

Not being able to move and shoot and not having 1 mode of speed is what is killing halo the most, as it's the thing that's altering how halo fundamentally plays the most, and the gameplay it becomes..isn't fun.
I am personally not a fan of Sprint. As a matter of fact, I got so tired of the Spartan Abilities in Halo 5 after a month or two, then just went back to MCC full time.

I went through some of the replies on this post. This topic is clearly polarizing, to say the least. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To be honest though, and in my opinion, Halo is going through an immense identity crisis. The Spartan Abilities feel more Titanfall or Destiny then they do Halo. I could do without them, and would prefer them not to be in Halo 6.

I know a ton of my friends feel the same, and definitely wont be picking up Halo 6 because of their inevitably inclusion, sadly.

EDIT: The comment saying "They cant just outright remove it" is just an awful argument. They add and drop features in between entries constantly. Plus, this game could very easily fit it into the lore. The guardians knocked out all of Humanities modern technology using those EMPs at the end of 5, so the UNSC had to rely on more traditional armor and armor modifications.

This post has been hidden.

8
Unknown wrote:
I'm just going to butt in for one post to bring up a new point. I already have dozens of posts explaining my position in this debate, so yeah... Don't quote me. If you go on numerous websites, there's been an impressive surge of actual interest in Halo again due to the release of unspeakable content on this site. It may not be world-breaking, but the recent interest is legitimately impressive. Depending on how you look at the situation, people either want no-sprint Halo or Halo on PC.

For me, this just shows that the argument of people expecting, wanting, or needing sprint in modern games cannot be a way to look at this discussion anymore. I mean, it hasn't been a valid argument at all, but still. There's just more concrete evidence now that old school Halo isn't outdated to regular gamers.
Well said, I think the player retention of every game since Reach was enough for most of us to see it, but now it should be perfectly clear to everyone what direction this franchise needs to head in.
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Nope just on truth an reconciliation for me I hate that one
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Nope just on truth an reconciliation for me I hate that one
in the old games you'd think you'd need sprint for the downtime, i just don't feel like there was any level like that, when it was it was intentional, or a driving part.
In 4 and 5 i found many times i was sprinting just to get to the next piece of action, the combat was boring and spread thin.
Zeezke99 wrote:
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
Except the maps are purposefully stretched out to accompany sprint, so that stretched maps will have the same sprint travel time as a non stretched map with just walking. So
not sprinting is punishing because the game had to be made around it.
Campaign maps aren't. God I wish I could have had sprint on some old campaign misions(Looking at you Two Betrayals)
Nope just on truth an reconciliation for me I hate that one
Adressing specific issues with a blanket.

Perhaps the missions were the size they were meant to be to showcase the sheer scale of the ring/ships. Or feelings, walking alone in the big tunnel in Two Betrayals, made me feel like it was hopeless and made me feel lonely.

Bringing in Sprint, could at best have made these "oh so boring treks" somewhat faster.
But you need to remember that sprint is in the entire game and it'd have affected other parts of the game.
At worst you'd have even larger campaign maps because Bungie wanted you to feel and experience the same emotions and feelings no matter what, and hastily sprinting those sections through quickly wouldn't have given the same emotional impact. Then also sprint affecting the other parts of the game.

Map design issues are not solved by implementing a global mechanic.
Keep sprint but take away spartan charge...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 771
  4. 772
  5. 773
  6. 774
  7. 775
  8. ...
  9. 840