2. ...
  3. 779
  4. 780
  5. 781
  6. 782
  7. 783
  8. ...
  9. 818
I think that sprint should stay, it only adds to the gameplay possibilities.
What kind of gameplay possibilities are we talking about?
Itz Nater wrote:
Seeing as they're professional game designers, I'd honestly be shocked if they decide to keep sprint knowing full well that it restricts their map and weapon design
I'd be shocked if they got rid of it. They knew what it caused since H4 and probably Reach, but they just nerfed sprint instead of getting rid of it. Now with them teasing a possible open world concept, I think it's even more hear to stay.
Naqser wrote:
Rumours from a long time ago have it so that i343 were split on sprint and the other mobilities, and that it essentially was some higher ups who made the call for their inclusion.
Yeah, a 343 dev at a GDC conference mentioned it was one of the most contentious debates they had.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Itz Nater wrote:
text
Naqser wrote:
text
Yeah, a 343 dev at a GDC conference mentioned it was one of the most contentious debates they had.
Well thankfully they made the right decision in the end. And sprint has continued to evolve ever since, offering players more immersive gameplay, more movement options, and creating more unique combat encounters.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Itz Nater wrote:
text
Naqser wrote:
text
Well thankfully they made the right decision in the end. And sprint has continued to evolve ever since, offering players more immersive gameplay, more movement options, and creating more unique combat encounters.
"Muh emmersion" is far less important than solid gameplay.
"More movement options" is nonsense. It does nothing to increase player movement capabilities. The movement options are actually less because you can only Sprint forward or very slightly to the left or right while still moving forward.
"Unique combat encounters" is also rubbish. You sprint into a combat encounter and you're forced to stop sprinting in order to use your weapon. As a result, it nixes your capability in combat.

Sprint does nothing but harm the game by making hitscan weapons either unreliable or too powerful. Maps are designed around sprint. Sprint does nothing but damage Halo, and it's inclusion since day one has been doing damage to the franchise and the multiplayer experience. There's a reason that the Sprint system has received nerf after nerf from day one. Your justification for Sprint reads like a baseless PR statement.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Itz Nater wrote:
text
Naqser wrote:
text
Continued to evolve; so far the most nerfed ability to still be featured, its usefullness has decreased plenty.

More immersive gameplay; highly subjective, and I'd even dare say it's on a subconcious level you make that call, unless you make a concious decision to work against the notion that a game you play is immersive to you.

More movement options; moving forward slighlty faster, having a slightly longer jump length. That's it.

Unique combat encounters; sprint isn't used in Combat.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Itz Nater wrote:
text
Naqser wrote:
text
I'm just a regular guy, I can sprint. If it's immersion you want, shouldn't a spartan be able to run at full speed with his weapon at the ready? And as for more movement options, you literally have two choices; sprint or don't don't sprint, I hardly call that a worthy trade off for the damage it causes to the sandbox
As a guy that's in his late 30's and approaching his 40's when Halo Infinite comes out, Halo 5 was the first game in the series where I actually felt like the developers had brought a game with modern visuals, effects etc while bringing back proper classic movements like sprint. I grew up in the late 80's and early 90's playing games on machines like the Commodore, Apple II and some form of IBM all using 8 inch to 5 1/2 inch floppy disks. I later played on the Classic Macintosh and NES and before getting the original Xbox I had the N64. All the games on these platforms from The Oregon trail, Wolfensten 3d all the way to Zelda:Ocinina of Time that I played had a form of sprint or run or speed boost built into the characters movements. So as much as Halo:CE is a great game, for someone like me I wouldn't characterize the movements in Halo:CE,2 and 3 as ... "classic".

For a classic gamer like myself, Halo Infinite and other Halo titles moving on from Halo 5 need to have proper classic movements that mimic classic gameplay and human movements that a gamer like myself are accustomed to while bringing the next gen of visuals and tech.
ooSnip3r wrote:
All the games on these platforms from The Oregon trail, Wolfensten 3d all the way to Zelda:Ocinina of Time that I played had a form of sprint or run or speed boost built into the characters movements. So as much as Halo:CE is a great game, for someone like me I wouldn't characterize the movements in Halo:CE,2 and 3 as ... "classic".
Aside from them being completely different genres of games, it doesn't really matter if the game is old or new. If it has a bad game mechanic in it, then it shouldn't be in the game. In an open world game like Zelda or The Witcher for example, having a sprint mechanic is perfectly fine, but in an Arena shooter like Halo, it creates more problems than it helps and it shouldn't be in the game. I also grew up on those old games by the way starting with Atari and NES.
That's really odd that you think these classic mechanics that they've finally brought to Halo 5 create problems LUKEPOWA , because I've found them to be quite useful and enjoyable and actually giving me the options and ability to move how I imagine that a character like Master Chief and Spartans should move. Maybe it's just me being an athlete that's always looking to move in new ways and push limits that I can't stand having to move slowly in the newer generation mechanics of Halo:CE-4. I can't imagine having to go back to modern mechanics of slowly moving around a map, it would be like having to compete with sandbags attached to your whole body. Nah, sorry the classic mechanics are what's needed in an arena setting. You didn't see MadMax fighting for his life in the ThunderDome by just crouch jumping around. Pretty sure he had more mobility options than that.
ooSnip3r wrote:
That's really odd that you think these classic mechanics that they've finally brought to Halo 5 create problems LUKEPOWA , because I've found them to be quite useful and enjoyable and actually giving me the options and ability to move how I imagine that a character like Master Chief and Spartans should move. Maybe it's just me being an athlete that's always looking to move in new ways and push limits that I can't stand having to move slowly in the newer generation mechanics of Halo:CE-4. I can't imagine having to go back to modern mechanics of slowly moving around a map, it would be like having to compete with sandbags attached to your whole body. Nah, sorry the classic mechanics are what's needed in an arena setting.
What do you mean by "finally brought in"? Sprint has been around since Reach. Thruster Pack was an Armor Ability in 4 which replaced Evade in Reach. The only entirely new abilities are Spartan Charge and Ground Pound, which just use the already existing Thruster Pack in different ways.

You're trying to compare gameplay mechanics to real life movement, which will never actually happen. If you want a petty arguement, you can still only punch with one hand, awkwardly and once every 2 seconds instead of a flurry of punches like an actual brawler.

If you want a real argument, Spartans still die as soon as they step foot underwater.

So why is the argument for keeping Sprint because of realism, but not...every other mechanic in the game?

The movement mechanics and how fast they make you move are two different things. For an easy example, see DOOM. Look at how fast DOOM plays without Sprint. You couldn't recreate that speed in Halo 5 at all, even with Sprint. Many people, even at the higher level, consider Halo CE to be the fastest Halo game to date.

ooSnip3r wrote:
You didn't see MadMax fighting for his life in the ThunderDome by just crouch jumping around. Pretty sure he had more mobility options than that.
Well Mad Max is a movie, right there it's centered in some level of realism because it is a real actor moving around instead of a controller providing the inputs.

If you mean Mad Max the video game, well of course he does. He could barely jump in the game and moved at a snail's pace across the wasteland without his vehicle.
ooSnip3r wrote:
That's really odd that you think these classic mechanics that they've finally brought to Halo 5 create problems LUKEPOWA , because I've found them to be quite useful and enjoyable and actually giving me the options and ability to move how I imagine that a character like Master Chief and Spartans should move.
Also slide, clamber and stabilizers as well to add to Vegeto's list of new abilities, but I was referring to sprint in my previous comment since it's what the discussion is about. It's not really odd when you know all the negatives that sprint causes which you can also read throughout this thread if you're wondering. Yeah, sprint and other abilities as well can give you more mobility and a couple have less impact on the game than others, but most of them have negatives which outweigh the positives for gameplay. If it was the other way around, then I would have a much favorable opinion of sprint and the other abilities.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
ooSnip3r wrote:
That's really odd that you think these classic mechanics that they've finally brought to Halo 5 create problems LUKEPOWA , because I've found them to be quite useful and enjoyable and actually giving me the options and ability to move how I imagine that a character like Master Chief and Spartans should move. Maybe it's just me being an athlete that's always looking to move in new ways and push limits that I can't stand having to move slowly in the newer generation mechanics of Halo:CE-4. I can't imagine having to go back to modern mechanics of slowly moving around a map, it would be like having to compete with sandbags attached to your whole body. Nah, sorry the classic mechanics are what's needed in an arena setting.
What do you mean by "finally brought in"? Sprint has been around since Reach. Thruster Pack was an Armor Ability in 4 which replaced Evade in Reach. The only entirely new abilities are Spartan Charge and Ground Pound, which just use the already existing Thruster Pack in different ways.

You're trying to compare gameplay mechanics to real life movement, which will never actually happen. If you want a petty arguement, you can still only punch with one hand, awkwardly and once every 2 seconds instead of a flurry of punches like an actual brawler.

If you want a real argument, Spartans still die as soon as they step foot underwater.

So why is the argument for keeping Sprint because of realism, but not...every other mechanic in the game?

The movement mechanics and how fast they make you move are two different things. For an easy example, see DOOM. Look at how fast DOOM plays without Sprint. You couldn't recreate that speed in Halo 5 at all, even with Sprint. Many people, even at the higher level, consider Halo CE to be the fastest Halo game to date.

ooSnip3r wrote:
You didn't see MadMax fighting for his life in the ThunderDome by just crouch jumping around. Pretty sure he had more mobility options than that.
Well Mad Max is a movie, right there it's centered in some level of realism because it is a real actor moving around instead of a controller providing the inputs.

If you mean Mad Max the video game, well of course he does. He could barely jump in the game and moved at a snail's pace across the wasteland without his vehicle.
He's referencing the old Mario games, that's what he means by calling the advanced movements "classic".
But why Mario though, why not go back to Pong?
i do kinda disagree with the thrusters and spartan charge and all that but i think it wouldn't be bad to just keep the sprint itself
pvt mikel wrote:
i do kinda disagree with the thrusters and spartan charge and all that but i think it wouldn't be bad to just keep the sprint itself
Aside from the fact that it's really messed up hitscan weapons?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
Tcrusher04 wrote:
It's not like we're patrolling the thread or something 24/7.
I just have it set to remind me whenever someone makes a post, and I'll respond if I feel it's necessary. Nothing wrong with that.

Honestly, you don't contribute anything to the conversation by complaining about the conversation.
Tcrusher04 wrote:
This is a discussion forum. Are you really going to to criticize people for discussing something on it?
Tcrusher04 wrote:
Isn't that hypocritical of you? Don't you have a series of posts here, with some as recently as the previous page?
A6ENT C wrote:
Tcrusher04 wrote:
This is a discussion forum. Are you really going to to criticize people for discussing something on it?
Tcrusher04 wrote:
Isn't that hypocritical of you? Don't you have a series of posts here, with some as recently as the previous page?
Hey man, consider it what you like. It is ironic that I’ve furthered this thread, but it’s my opinion that this thread is just replaying the same series of arguments again and again. If this thread took a different direction, I‘d probably just lurk here, you wouldn’t even hear from me. I’m just trying to tell people that this thread is stagnant if not a little hostile.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 779
  4. 780
  5. 781
  6. 782
  7. 783
  8. ...
  9. 818