1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 826
  4. 827
  5. 828
  6. 829
  7. ...
  8. 830
Sprint needs to be gone. Look at the videos of Halo 2 and Halo 3 movement compared to sprint in the bigger maps, plus you can't even shoot while sprinting. You move so fast in H2/H3 and you can still shoot, you can crouch jump backwards up on things that you can't do in halo 5 walking. Get rid of sprint
I still don't understand why ppl can't just settle for keeping sprint and all spartan abilities including ADS, and to just have a classic matchmaking playlist with them all disabled if you really hate the new mechanics. I for one love Halo 5's multiplayer the most in franchise history solely because of the movement mechanics, but if you hate them for some reason, a separate classic playlist could easily remedy the issue and make everyone happy
Or how about a classic game, with one playlist with H5 spartan abilities on and some remake h5 forge maps? We can even call it armor ability throwback list just to give everyone a sense of nostalgia
I still don't understand why ppl can't just settle for keeping sprint and all spartan abilities including ADS, and to just have a classic matchmaking playlist with them all disabled if you really hate the new mechanics. I for one love Halo 5's multiplayer the most in franchise history solely because of the movement mechanics, but if you hate them for some reason, a separate classic playlist could easily remedy the issue and make everyone happy
Or how about a classic game, with one playlist with H5 spartan abilities on and some remake h5 forge maps? We can even call it armor ability throwback list just to give everyone a sense of nostalgia
^ This is the only real solution to this discussion. The majority of H5's population agree that sprint is a fine feature to have, it's only a minority of competitive (and nostalgiac) players who want it gone. 343 wouldn't remove it even with the vocal players hounding them, but a game mode? that could be workable.
The only issue I see is that the maps aren't designed with a lack of sprint in mind anymore (I'd say just -Yoink- map design overall really, they're impressive but not that great gameplay wise).
Ideally there will be a sprint playlist and a no-sprint "legacy" playlist, perhaps bringing back mechanics from previous games. Sprint in the campaign has always felt necessary in the games where it was featured (other than Reach), so I could go either-or, as long as there is a reason for it (Chief's suit is breaking, he suffered a permanent injury, that kind of thing.
Ideally there will be a sprint playlist and a no-sprint "legacy" playlist, perhaps bringing back mechanics from previous games. Sprint in the campaign has always felt necessary in the games where it was featured (other than Reach), so I could go either-or, as long as there is a reason for it (Chief's suit is breaking, he suffered a permanent injury, that kind of thing.
If you look at H4 there wasn't a reason in-game given for the new armor , sprint or the new abilities like thrust , auto sentry, armor shield ect or even weapon changes . I think some nano bot theory did the rounds after the fact by 343i .
So classic or even enhanced style play is easily explained or not by game devs
. Doesn't even have to make sense H4 proved that .
I have played halo since the beginning, but I still think sprinting is a great addition. It allows for more mobility, as well as faster travel. I do not understand why people are against sprinting.
I have played halo since the beginning, but I still think sprinting is a great addition. It allows for more mobility, as well as faster travel. I do not understand why people are against sprinting.
IMO because some people see it from a different perspective, and sees the opposite.

For example, how much extra mobility is there when you have actions taken away from you, and your forced to only use it in the forwards direction?

All you have to move faster is change the value controlling the player's speed. We've done that with Speed Boost and we've done that in Custom Games.
Sprint is fine, we all love sprint, you are the very small group that hates it, and you can go play the chief collection if you dont like the new stuff. We can finally be spartans from the books in halo 5, and I hope we get the same treatment in infinite.
Fortunately, 343 is actually listening to us, the majority, and we can see this by how Inifinte looks art-wise. They've even admitted to messing up, and is trying to win players back. Very humble and generous of them. I'm glad they're reverting to what works, and what Halo fans have been asking for. They're definitely on the right track, and after all this time they're earning my trust.
Disrespectful COD players don't just get to take a steaming pile of defection in our backyard and tell us the way our childhood game is meant to be played. That's like me going to a COD forum and demanding we get rid of sprint.
Very illogical. If you don't like Halo you can always go back to your twitch shooters and sprint around like a fairy. I'll stick with Halo thank you very much.
If you look at H4 there wasn't a reason in-game given for the new armor , sprint or the new abilities like thrust , auto sentry, armor shield ect or even weapon changes . I think some nano bot theory did the rounds after the fact by 343i .
So classic or even enhanced style play is easily explained or not by game devs
. Doesn't even have to make sense H4 proved that .
All I want is a line explaining it-in 4 Cortana mentions "rewriting his firmware".
Halo Infinite's Multiplayer- To Sprint or Not to Sprint?

**Disclaimer** - This is a long, opinionated post. Please bear with me if you so choose.

It is no secret that there is a huge divide within the Halo community with regard to whether the sprint mechanic belongs in Halo or not. There is the crowd of veteran fans who prefer the classic style gameplay (i.e. Halo CE, 2, & 3), and there is also the crowd of newer fans who prefer the modern style gameplay (i.e. Halo Reach, 4, & 5 Guardians) which consists of sprint and other enhanced mobility features like slide, clamber, thruster and jet packs, etc. This is clearly a major generalization of the different kinds of Halo fans, but for the sake of this premise, let's continue with this two-fold categorization in mind.

As someone who has been a die-hard Halo fan since 2005, and has extensively played every single Halo game ever released on all three Xbox generation consoles, I have put a great deal of thought and consideration into this solution. In my opinion, it would be within 343 Industries' best interest to cater to both crowds of fans within Halo Infinite's multiplayer as best as they can. Simply choosing to focus on one of the crowd's preferences while alienating the other's will only continue to divide the Halo community further apart. This is how I would structure Halo Infinite's multiplayer in terms of the style of gameplay(s) that would satisfy both the veteran and newer fans of the franchise:

In a nutshell, I would take both of Halo 5's matchmaking modes (Arena & Warzone) and dedicate the Arena mode to classic style gameplay, while also dedicating the Warzone mode to modern style gameplay within Halo Infinite right at the launch of the game. The Custom Games and Forge modes can be the bridge between both of those gameplay styles outside of matchmaking.

This is the best solution I can think of to keep both crowds happy and maintain high player population counts well into the lifespan of Halo Infinite. Let me explain my reasoning behind this idea:

Modern style gameplay does not work in the Arena mode for three, deal-breaking reasons:

First - Sprint and other enhanced mobility features compromise the "Golden Triangle" formula, an integral part of Halo's core identity since the first game. The Golden Triangle (which stands for guns, grenades, and melee), means that your character has the ability to shoot a weapon, throw a grenade, and use the melee attack at any point within a match. There are minor exceptions to this formula, such as duel wielding weapons, boarding / getting into vehicles, and using detachable turrets. However, all of these exceptions are strictly optional features that are not bound to your character's base mechanics. On the other hand, sprint and the other enhanced mobility features are animations that are always tied to your character as soon as you spawn into a match, whether as an armor ability (Halo Reach), spartan ability (Halo 5 Guardians), or a mixture of the two (Halo 4). These animations do grant you faster movement speeds, but at the expense of inhibiting your ability to attack enemy players while the animations are in effect.

Second - The gameplay's base mechanics need to accommodate the map's sandbox designs, and vice versa. For example, Halo 3's "Guardian" (Arena map) is too small to allow for sprint to be used, and Halo 5 Guardians' "Raid on Apex 7" (Warzone map) is too large to not allow for sprint to be used. Enabling sprint on the Guardian map would completely ruin the map's spawning system, and disabling sprint on the Raid on Apex 7 map would force players to traverse long distances at a painstakingly slower pace. To play devil's advocate for a second, Halo 5 Guardians' "Truth" (Arena map) does re-imagine Halo 2's "Midship" map where the former is built more to scale to allow for sprint. However, this alternative still does not work because of the first reason where the Golden Triangle formula is still compromised. Now, Forge maps created by both the developers and the community can absolutely be designed to allow for sprint and the other enhanced mobility features. However, this should occur only long after Halo Infinite has been released so as to not confuse people regarding which features belong to which playlists. There needs to be a "clear line drawn in the sand" (in this case between the Arena and Warzone modes) so that both veteran and newer fans have their own spaces within the game's matchmaking to enjoy the gameplay style of Halo that they prefer.

Third - Having sprint and other enhanced mobility features make Halo feel too similar to other first-person shooter franchises. Certain popular triple-A titles (i.e. Call of Duty, Titanfall, & Apex Legends) have normalized these faster base player mechanics over the years, but it does not mean that this is the correct way to innovate and evolutionize all first-person shooters as a whole. There are plenty of other popular triple-A titles (i.e. Battlefield, Overwatch, & Fortnite) that incorporate faster base movement mechanics either sparingly or not at all, and these games are still very relevant in 2019. I believe that there is a misconception about enhanced mobility in general where some people think that "moving fast" is a requirement for games to be fun and feel modernized. In reality, having enhanced mobility is entirely dependent on whether fast movement benefits or hinders a game's core identity in terms of its base mechanics. In Halo, I strongly believe the latter, at least with respect to the Arena mode that has existed in every Halo first-person shooter (that includes multiplayer) up to this point in time.

By now, it is obvious that I do prefer classic style gameplay to the modern style, with Halo 3 being my favorite game in the franchise. When Halo Reach introduced sprint for the first time, I was completely against the mechanic being incorporated into the gameplay, even just as a loadout option. Since then, I had continuously advocated for the mechanic's omission (along with the other enhanced mobility features) from that game, as well as from Halo 4 when sprint became a permanent feature. However, when Halo 5 Guardians finally introduced an entirely new game mode in the form of Warzone, something that we had not even remotely seen before, I realized that there is a space within Halo's multiplayer where these features can exist and even thrive. Furthermore, I think Custom Games and Forge are great equal opportunity spaces where maps and game types with sprint can be just as enjoyable as the ones without sprint.

At the end of the day, I want Halo Infinite to be a successful platform that is accepted by both crowds of Halo fans so long as it still feels like a true Halo game. Please feel free to leave comments in the discussion thread, and drop a like if you agree with this premise. I would love to hear your thoughts / concerns regarding this idea of mine, and would be extremely thrilled if 343 Industries actually sees this post and considers implementing this solution into Halo Infinite's multiplayer. Thank you for taking the time to read this post and I hope you have a great day!
Halo Infinite's Multiplayer- To Sprint or Not to Sprint?
In a nutshell, I would take both of Halo 5's matchmaking modes (Arena & Warzone) and dedicate the Arena mode to classic style gameplay, while also dedicating the Warzone mode to modern style gameplay within Halo Infinite right at the launch of the game.
There is a problem with making Arena classic and Warzone modern. Though I agree with you it still doesn't satisfy both parties. There plenty of Modern players I'm sure who would like modern mechanics in Arena. There may even be a few Veterans who want a classic style Warzone. People aren't going to be to happy about customs being the bridge outside of actual matchmaking.

First - Yes, Sprint and other enhanced mobility features have compromised the Golden Triangle but, what is wrong with that besides the fact that it was in the first 3 games? I understand Reach and 4 because they weren't even starts but, what about Halo 5? It still seams balanced it may become the Golden Square. Not all animations prevent one from attacking enemy players but I understand that most do.

Second - I agree with this
The gameplay's base mechanics need to accommodate the map's sandbox designs,
but, this
To play devil's advocate for a second, Halo 5 Guardians' "Truth" (Arena map) does re-imagine Halo 2's "Midship" map where the former is built more to scale to allow for sprint. However, this alternative still does not work because of the first reason where the Golden Triangle formula is still compromised.
Yes, the Golden Triangle is compromised but, that doesn't mean it doesn't work. The map is still balanced so I can't see how it doesn't work.

Third -
Having sprint and other enhanced mobility features make Halo feel too similar to other first-person shooter franchises.
To me that's like saying because Halo is a fps title it's the same as every other fps. Yes, Halo has advanced movement like other games but they also have alot more in common. Guns, vehicles, game modes, etc...
There are plenty of other popular triple-A titles (i.e. Battlefield, Overwatch, & Fortnite) that incorporate faster base movement mechanics either sparingly or not at all, and these games are still very relevant in 2019.

I don't know what you're talking about here. I know all of these games have sprint though it's been a while since I've played Battlefield so, there isn't anything I can say about that. In Fortnite you can sprint full speed all the time even while being shot at so I don't understand why you say "incorporate faster base movement mechanics either sparingly or not at all".

In the end I agree with you on most of your points but, I am a fan of both classic and modern gameplay. This is probably because Halo Reach and Halo 3 were my first two Halo titles that I owned. I have a lot of fun playing all Halo games (well, Halo 4 is limited) so I am neutral to this subject. Have a great day!
I thinks there's 3 distinct groups when it comes to this discussion .
1/ the classic guys (vocal non compromising )
2/ the advance movement and or Armor ability crowd (vocal non compromising )
3/ the guys that are happy enough either way ,(the silent majority )
4/ the people who would prefer classic, but wouldn't mind abilities if they were done in a way that complimented gameplay and wasn't detrimental to it.
I'm really tired of this idea that we should compromise on mechanics in a video game, which is meant to be a form of entertainment. I can only think of two reasons as to why someone would want to compromise with a bunch of strangers:

1) It would make Halo more successful, whether that be through sales or a thriving population. The "we must do this for the greater good" mindset

2) To make a bunch of other Halo players happy at the expense of your own enjoyment

There's zero reason to believe #1, and I cannot fathom the mindset one must have for #2. I'll be the first to admit that I want no compromise. I want all the base abilities scrapped and for classic movement to return. I don't want to spend money on a Halo game that I'll only half enjoy (or perhaps not at all). I play video games for personal enjoyment and entertainment, and there is nothing wrong with being selfish in this regard.
I'm really tired of this idea that we should compromise on mechanics in a video game, which is meant to be a form of entertainment. I can only think of two reasons as to why someone would want to compromise with a bunch of strangers:

1) It would make Halo more successful, whether that be through sales or a thriving population. The "we must do this for the greater good" mindset

2) To make a bunch of other Halo players happy at the expense of your own enjoyment

There's zero reason to believe #1, and I cannot fathom the mindset one must have for #2. I'll be the first to admit that I want no compromise. I want all the base abilities scrapped and for classic movement to return. I don't want to spend money on a Halo game that I'll only half enjoy (or perhaps not at all). I play video games for personal enjoyment and entertainment, and there is nothing wrong with being selfish in this regard.
There's also a group who feel as passionately as you do but from the opposite side of the argument ,
When infinite releases it seems there will be a lot of dissapointed fans out there . Because it's certainly clear they can't please everyone .
But they do have to choose a direction
xBALLER 4 LYFEx, thank you for responding to my post! I really appreciate your direct feedback to a number of my points! If you're interested, I would very much like to continue this discussion. I'm just not sure how to quote specific sections like you did, so please bear with me again. I also apologize in advance because I will repeat myself in certain sections in response to your points.

1st point - I understand that there are "modern" players who will want sprint and other enhanced mobility features in the Arena mode, as well as "veteran" players who will want classic gameplay in the Warzone mode. That is why I mentioned, in my solution statement, that this idea will occur "right at the launch of the game". Here is why I said this: 1) So that it is not confusing for players when trying to figure out which playlists (within both Arena and Warzone) belong to which gameplay style(s). 2) This allows both the veteran and newer crowds to be equally catered to within matchmaking, and to not feel like 343 Industries is favoring one side over the other. The initial separation of the classic and modern gameplay styles into their appropriate modes would be easy to understand for all players, and probably more simple to develop for the multiplayer team at 343 Industries.

If there is enough demand for crossover to happen within matchmaking, there is one rule that MUST be followed: There would have to be entirely separate playlists / match composer criteria that contains purposely tailored maps in order for this to work. These tailored maps can either be Forge maps created by the community (or the developers themselves) that eventually get incorporated into matchmaking, or actual DLC maps that are fully developed and released over time. The point is, if crossover is bound to happen, it has to be handled correctly so that Halo Infinite still feels like Halo within the appropriate spaces for matchmaking.

2nd point - It is wrong to compromise the Golden Triangle formula for two reasons: 1) It is a major detriment to Halo's core identity - what makes Halo unique compared to other shooters. Some equivalent scenarios would be like completely removing the building mechanic in Fortnite's battle royale mode, or taking out the loadout system within Call of Duty's core multiplayer game types (i.e. TDM, Domination, S&D, etc.) and replacing it with unique weapon placements scattered throughout its maps like Halo does. These alternate scenarios can certainly allow the aforementioned games to still function as multiplayer platforms, but only to the degree where the game becomes almost unrecognizable from a mechanical standpoint compared to its prequels. If Halo: Combat Evolved established sprint as a base player mechanic all the way back in 2001, then we would be having a different conversation because that would have been a part of Halo's core identity from the very beginning.

2) In the case of sprint and the other abilities like clamber, these "enhanced" mobility features do not actually enhance your gameplay - they restrict it because you are incapable of attacking enemy players with the Golden Triangle methods of combat when locked into those animations. A YouTuber by the name of phillipgan actually proved this claim with a video titled "Enhanced Mobility is a Lie in 90 Seconds". In the video, he has gameplay footage of both Halo 2's Midship (original) map and Halo 5's Truth (remake) map where he moves around both maps simultaneously on both sides of the video's screen. It turns out that walking on Midship and sprinting on Truth actually keeps you moving at the same exact pace comparatively because of how the maps are built to scale to accommodate both styles of gameplay. The major difference is that in Halo 2, you are fully able to attack enemy players with all three methods of the Golden Triangle and still move around without slowing down. But in Halo 5, you must cancel the sprint animation to attack enemy players, which in fact does slow you down significantly. This is why "enhanced" mobility features, at least in Halo's Arena mode, just provide you with the illusion of faster and more fluid gameplay. In reality, they simply do not enhance your gameplay at all. Also, the other features like slide and thrusters might not lock you into an animation, but they still provide you "second chances" to easily dodge grenades, melee attacks, and even certain weapon projectiles like a sniper rifle bullet or a rocket from a rocket launcher. So while these features do not necessarily compromise the Golden Triangle, they definitely interrupt the formula. Finally, what do you mean by the "Golden Square"? I have never heard of this referenced in Halo at any point in time, and it certainly is not an element of Halo's core identity.

3rd point - Maps that allow for sprint and enhanced mobility features "can" still work, as in function properly. However, this is not a question of capability, but rather if it "should" work, as per my response to your second point.

4th point - Halo does not need to conform to implementing certain mechanics just because seemingly all other shooter games do so. Again, it is a matter of if these mechanics either complement or diminish the core identity of a franchise. Another similar example is when 343 Industries initially replaced the iconic SPNKR Rocket Launcher with the newer version in Halo 5. Yes, Halo has "guns, vehicles, game modes, etc." just like all other shooter games, but the specific designs and names for these aspects (i.e. Scorpion tank vs M1 Abrams, Slayer vs TDM, etc.) are what make up another major part of Halo's core identity just like the Golden Triangle formula.

5th point - I said this to offer some counter examples to the franchises that have essentially "doubled-down" on enhanced mobility features in varying degrees over the years, especially within Call of Duty. Battlefield has sprint and vaulting (another word for clamber) because they are required mechanics due to the game's realistic military settings and due to its large maps. In Overwatch, only certain heroes have specific enhanced mobility features for balancing purposes (i.e. sprint - Soldier 76, rolling - McCree, jet pack - Pharah, etc.). Finally, Fortnite does have sprint (you need it in a giant battle royale map anyway), but you generally aren't using it half the time because of the building mechanic. Most of Fortnite's final inhabitable zones involve outsmarting your opponents by creating, editing, and destroying player-made structures, all while the sprint mechanic is rarely being used. To clarify, I am not saying that sprint is an innately bad mechanic that should have never been put into any shooter game. There are just certain places, like Halo's Arena mode, where those playlists are objectively better off without enhanced mobility features.

I hope this response clarifies the points that you highlighted and provides some extra context as to why I stated them. Just like you, I am a fan of both classic and modern gameplay, and all I want is for 343 Industries to realize that they are not required to favor one style of gameplay over the other within Halo Infinite - that keeping both crowds satisfied as much as possible is a very viable option. I hope you have a great day as well xBALLER 4 LYFEx!
xBALLER 4 LYFEx, thank you for responding to my post! I really appreciate your direct feedback to a number of my points! If you're interested, I would very much like to continue this discussion. I'm just not sure how to quote specific sections like you did, so please bear with me again.
Just quote me and delete all the parts that you don't care about.
2nd point - It is wrong to compromise the Golden Triangle formula for two reasons: 1) It is a major detriment to Halo's core identity - what makes Halo unique compared to other shooters. Some equivalent scenarios would be like completely removing the building mechanic in Fortnite's battle royale mode, or taking out the loadout system within Call of Duty's core multiplayer game types (i.e. TDM, Domination, S&D, etc.) and replacing it with unique weapon placements scattered throughout its maps like Halo does.
It may be wrong to compromise the formula but, it has already been done Reach-5 and doesn't seem to have made me hate the game more. Chips for example, you like chips right? Chips were made by compromising the formula. Also, removing building from Fortnite and classes(loadouts) from COD would actually make me like those games better. I'm not trying to find something to disagree about, you just chose two of my least favorite features out of both games.
If Halo: Combat Evolved established sprint as a base player mechanic all the way back in 2001, then we would be having a different conversation because that would have been a part of Halo's core identity from the very beginning.
I have said the same thing in this exact thread somewhere.
This is why "enhanced" mobility features, at least in Halo's Arena mode, just provide you with the illusion of faster and more fluid gameplay. In reality, they simply do not enhance your gameplay at all. Also, the other features like slide and thrusters might not lock you into an animation, but they still provide you "second chances" to easily dodge grenades, melee attacks, and even certain weapon projectiles like a sniper rifle bullet or a rocket from a rocket launcher. So while these features do not necessarily compromise the Golden Triangle, they definitely interrupt the formula. Finally, what do you mean by the "Golden Square"? I have never heard of this referenced in Halo at any point in time, and it certainly is not an element of Halo's core identity.
I never believed that gameplay was faster in Halo 5. I know because after playing so much classic Halo and walking without sprint in Halo 5 I felt slow. Yes, thrusters and slide give you second chances but, is that bad when everyone else in the match spawned having those attached as well? Golden Square. I made that up since the Triange is grenades, guns, and melee. Add abilities and its a square..... or rectangle.
4th point - Halo does not need to conform to implementing certain mechanics just because seemingly all other shooter games do so. Again, it is a matter of if these mechanics either complement or diminish the core identity of a franchise. Yes, Halo has "guns, vehicles, game modes, etc." just like all other shooter games, but the specific designs and names for these aspects (i.e. Scorpion tank vs M1 Abrams, Slayer vs TDM, etc.) are what make up another major part of Halo's core identity just like the Golden Triangle formula.
Well, I don't know any other shooter whos climb animation is called clamber or whose thrust is... thrust. So, Halo is still unique. The tank isn't just a tank it's a Scorpion so it is unique even though it is in other games.
To clarify, I am not saying that sprint is an innately bad mechanic that should have never been put into any shooter game. There are just certain places, like Halo's Arena mode, where those playlists are objectively better off without enhanced mobility features.

Maybe so, but I'm pretty sure Halo's Arena mode is more popular now than ever. The Halo population was probably bigger in the past but, I think a majority were those who played for fun, the socials. Back in the day I could rarely find anyone to play Arena. Nowadays a lot more people are into it. I played Arena with a kid who I met playing Infection. Of course it might not have anything to do with sprint maybe more people are getting into the game for fun and they don't care about mobility.
I hope this response clarifies the points that you highlighted and provides some extra context as to why I stated them. Just like you, I am a fan of both classic and modern gameplay, and all I want is for 343 Industries to realize that they are not required to favor one style of gameplay over the other within Halo Infinite - that keeping both crowds satisfied as much as possible is a very viable option. I hope you have a great day as well xBALLER 4 LYFEx!
Yes, you did clarify many points which is why I didn't quote them. Thanks!
xBALLER 4 LYFEx, I tried to figure out the whole quoting process and just couldn't do it, so I'm going to stick to using my format if you don't mind.

1st point - The two claims in your first paragraph are your own personal preferences - 1) That you do not hate Halo Reach through Halo 5 because they compromised the GT formula, and 2) that removing building from Fortnite / loadouts from Call of Duty would make those games better. There is nothing wrong with having these opinions, but that is just what they are at the end of the day. Opinions have no actual bearing on the factors that make up a game's core identity. Building will always be attributed to Fortnite, loadouts will always be attributed to Call of Duty, and the GT formula will always be attributed to Halo. Also, could you please explain what "chips" are and how that relates to Halo? I have no idea what you mean by this.

2nd point - If you did, I must have missed it. My apologies!

3rd point - Gameplay as a whole in Halo 5 was never faster in the Arena mode compared to the previous Halo titles, just the base movement speed is when sprint is being used. And yes, simply walking in Halo 5 definitely "feels" slow because the maps are designed around the sprint mechanic. Remember, phillipgan proved that in his YouTube video because walking on Halo 2's Midship and sprinting on Halo 5's Truth keeps you moving at the exact same pace between both maps.

Also, it is better that Halo 5 reverted to "equal starts" for all players (including abilities). But being able to easily dodge incoming weapon bullets or other projectiles as a base player mechanic is a cheap gameplay feature intended to give players those second chances without actually earning them. You have to remember, Halo's multiplayer (in Arena) has always been about controlling power weapons and other items scattered throughout the map to get an advantage over the enemy players. In essence, what exactly are you getting with these weapons and items? You get range (i.e. sniper rifles), more explosive power (i.e. rocket launchers and plasma grenades), increased shields (i.e. overshield), invisibility (i.e. active camo), etc. Halo 3 also included equipment like the bubble shield and the power drain items throughout its maps. Both Halo 4 and Halo 5 even included the speed boost power-up as another method to increase your base movement speed. The fundamental difference between all of these aforementioned features (weapons, grenades, power-ups, equipment) and the armor / spartan abilities in Halo Reach - Halo 5 is that the former are either limited or single-use items that are not tied to your character as a spawning feature or as a base player mechanic. You shoot weapons until there is no more ammo. You throw grenades until you run out of them. The power-ups are timed. The equipment items are one and done. Meanwhile, the latter are abilities with unlimited use, regardless if you spawn with them by choice or not. Do you see the difference? It boils down to balancing all the added features of weapon range, explosive power, movement speed, and all the rest correctly so that the GT formula remains the primary and non-handicapped methods of attacking enemy players.

4th point - Yes, Halo is still unique, but simply changing the names of pre-existing mechanics used in other games have virtually nothing to do with adding to Halo's uniqueness. Names like Slayer and Scorpion tank are different because the franchise started with them.

5th point - Not exactly. Let me explain:

Halo's popularity (or any game's for that matter) is measured by two things from a multiplayer perspective - 1) Lifetime sales, and 2) player retention. In terms of the concrete evidence / data that is available to the public through Halo Waypoint and other websites (at least that I could find), Halo 3 has the largest number of sales of all the Halo titles, while Halo 5 has the smallest number of sales. It is crucial to remember that these numbers are attributed more to the success / failures of the predecessor titles before them (i.e. Halos 1 & 2 - 3, and Halos Reach & 4 - 5) rather than the actual games themselves. To clarify, I drew the line between Halo 3 and Halo Reach because the latter introduced enhanced mobility for the first time, which in turn started to garner an audience who prefers enhanced mobility within Halo in general. However, Halo 3 also had the best player retention (measured in hours played per person), with Halo 5 having the second best player retention of all the Halo titles. Conversely, these numbers are attributed more to the actual games themselves rather then their predecessors. In Halo 5's case, the game went from being the lowest selling Halo title to having the second highest devoted fan-base in terms of keeping players in the game. I believe this happened because 343 Industries finally added a new mode (Warzone) that was purposely designed to accommodate sprint and the other enhanced mobility features - a space where these mechanics were implemented and utilized correctly. If Halo 5 did not release with the Warzone mode, I seriously doubt that this game would have maintained that #2 spot of player retention because Arena is simply not the place to incorporate these enhanced mechanics. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In conclusion: Despite these back and forth debates on whether certain mechanics belong in Halo or not, the intention of my original post was to get 343 Industries (and anyone else) to realize that the developer is in a unique position where they are able to honor both the veteran and newer crowds' mechanical preferences within Halo Infinite's multiplayer. The game just has to start with that "clear line drawn in the sand" (between Arena & Warzone) so that both crowds feel like they are being listened to and are valued equally by the developer. There are some veteran fans who just do not want to deal with sprint and the other enhanced mobility features at all, and vice versa for the newer fans. In my opinion, 343 Industries should honor these different preferences, and I believe that this is the best way for Halo Infinite to have BOTH high lifetime sales and player retention numbers. And don't forget, crossover between the modes can definitely occur over time, just as long as it happens correctly. Can we at least agree on that xBALLER 4 LYFEx?
xBALLER 4 LYFEx, I tried to figure out the whole quoting process and just couldn't do it, so I'm going to stick to using my format if you don't mind.

No problem.
Also, could you please explain what "chips" are and how that relates to Halo? I have no idea what you mean by this.
I was talking about potato chips. Potato chips were made from a chef who strayed from the formula. I was trying to say the same thing could happen is Halo. I must've been hungry at the time.
as a base player mechanic is a cheap gameplay feature intended to give players those second chances without actually earning them.
You're right, can't argue about that.
4th point - Yes, Halo is still unique, but simply changing the names of pre-existing mechanics used in other games have virtually nothing to do with adding to Halo's uniqueness. Names like Slayer and Scorpion tank are different because the franchise started with them.

Other games started with Tanks and Slayer before Halo. So, you could say Halo did just change names, but Halo is unique even though they have the same features.
And don't forget, crossover between the modes can definitely occur over time, just as long as it happens correctly. Can we at least agree on that xBALLER 4 LYFEx?
Of course, like I've said before I really don't care if Halo goes all out classic or modern.
I know everyone links sprint with map size ect ect, but I've been playing a fair bit of swat in both mcc and a h5 as well as a bit of cod (all titles) , TF2 and Battlefield of late,
I've come to a bit of a realization that time to kill is very heavily linked to to movement mechanics.
Short version, faster time to kill really suits the advanced movement far better
Longer time to kill, classic movement fits this style much better.
Of course it's an oversimplified and basic theory, no data just a feel thing .
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 826
  4. 827
  5. 828
  6. 829
  7. ...
  8. 830