Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 827
  4. 828
  5. 829
  6. ...
  7. 830
xBALLER 4 LYFEx,

Thanks for understanding.

Ah that makes sense. Haha you're good!

Glad you agree.

Fair enough. That makes sense.

Awesome. Thanks for contributing to this discussion! See you in Halo Infinite!
ouv wrote:
You move so fast in H2/H3 and you can still shoot, you can crouch jump backwards up on things that you can't do in halo 5 walking.
Yeah, I did exactly that in this video which practically proves that Halo 5's base movement speed is way faster then Halo 3's, like way way faster..https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg
IMO because some people see it from a different perspective, and sees the opposite..
Anyone who see's it in a different perspective or attempts to say that older Halo games had faster base movement speed, are wrong. The video shown here proves why: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg .
Fortunately, 343 is actually listening to us, the majority,
Listening to who? Who's the majority here? People who generally like Sprint seem to be the majority given how long Halo 5 has lasted so far (4 years going on 5 with lots of people still playing it to this day), and how much money it made MS/343.
how Inifinte looks art-wise.
Halo Infinite is using the Halo Legends art style with some H5 additions and Forerunner architecture..The entire Pelican even has that nice H4/H5 coat of paint on it. So does the terrain, and the Warthog it-self that we've seen so far. Really the only "classic" edition we've actually seen is the Reach AR appearing breifly in Halo Infinite's trailer, but nothing else.

,
To be quite honest I couldn't be bothered with reading each giant paragraph to the full extent but I can already tell you Halo 5's base movement speed is much, much faster then Halo 3's by far. Sprint just adds extra additions to this increased movement speed to the max, and generally resulting in a faster paced game entirely.

Halo 5 rewards aim as well pretty massively, resulting in most pro-players trying to be as accurate as possible due to bullet magnetism being little to non-existant depending on weapon to weapon Here's the video proving my point about Sprint: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg
.
Read above, I don't really know what else to say to you as well besides this. Also, Halo's golden triangle has been compromised since Halo 3. The Golden triangle ended with Halo 2, and even in Halo 2 you could still technically say it was compromised with the super jump glitches, button combo glitches, and so on. When you melee, it keeps you from shooting, just like sprinting keeps you from shooting. What's really the difference here other then Sprint allows you to get from location A to location B much, much faster?
S IH A N E wrote:
I cannot stand sprint. I have played halo since 2002 and I truly believe that it ruined the game. The maps are larger and do not play fluidly like Halo CE-3. Classic halo you always had your gun up, giving you the ability to shoot, grenade, run and jump all at the same time, with sprint the game feels choppy. Sprint simply does not belong in halo.
Halo 5 matches play fluid, incredibly fluid and smooth. The games usually don't even go past the 10 minute mark unless your playing against a relatively skilled team. Not all Maps are larger, only a couple of them actually are.

Classic Halo did none of this, Melee for one doesn't allow your gun to be up, neither does throwing grenades. If we're talking about "true classic halo" that didn't involve a 4th option (H3 Equipment, HR Armor abilities, H4 Armor abilities, H5 Spartan abilities) then Classic Halo ended in Halo 3, case closed. With Sprint, the game by no means feels choppy at all.

Sprint belongs in Halo just like any other ability does.
Nighterlev wrote:
IMO because some people see it from a different perspective, and sees the opposite..
Anyone who see's it in a different perspective or attempts to say that older Halo games had faster base movement speed, are wrong. The video shown here proves why: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg .
People who see it from a different perspective are wrong? What?
Older Halo bms speeds weren't even part of the post your quoting, not even in the part you cut out, only an alternative to increasing speeds other than sprint, if Speed was an issue in the first place.

PS, yes, it is known that Halo 5 BMS is the highest default bms of all Halo's.

Nighterlev wrote:
Fortunately, 343 is actually listening to us, the majority,
Listening to who? Who's the majority here? People who generally like Sprint seem to be the majority given how long Halo 5 has lasted so far (4 years going on 5 with lots of people still playing it to this day), and how much money it made MS/343.
So Halo 5 is only popular because it has sprint? No, Eagle can't know who the majority is, but you're not really helping your own case with more loose statements.

Is Halo 5 only popular because of Sprint?
Did Halo 5 make a lot of money (how much money on the game alone?) Because of sprint and sprint only?
What is "lots of People"? What measurements are we using here?

Nighterlev wrote:
,
Sprint just adds extra additions to this increased movement speed to the max, and generally resulting in a faster paced game entirely./quote]Sprint doesn't "just add extra additions to this increased movement Speed to the max". If that was all sprint did, it'd be Doom 1994 style turbo.

So, does sprint on its own increased the pace of the game? What is the "pace of the game" even? Can you define it?
Some regard Halo CE to be the fastest paced game of all Halo's, despite lacking sprint.
Could there be other variables impacting on the pace of the game? Such as ttk, map sizes, player Numbers and so forth?

Nighterlev wrote:
.
Read above, I don't really know what else to say to you as well besides this. Also, Halo's golden triangle has been compromised since Halo 3. The Golden triangle ended with Halo 2, and even in Halo 2 you could still technically say it was compromised with the super jump glitches, button combo glitches, and so on. When you melee, it keeps you from shooting, just like sprinting keeps you from shooting. What's really the difference here other then Sprint allows you to get from location A to location B much, much faster?
Momentary moments when you can't use a specific action is far less intrusive than trading Combat and movement capabilities over a long period of time.
You could also technically not bother trying to apply glitches as an argument as those were not intended mechanics by the developers.

Also, yet again, time to travel is based on Speed and distance. The time to travel is up to the designer.
8 seconds to get from A to B is the same in all Halo's.
Nighterlev wrote:
Halo 5 matches play fluid, incredibly fluid and smooth. The games usually don't even go past the 10 minute mark unless your playing against a relatively skilled team. Not all Maps are larger, only a couple of them actually are.
Picking an arbitrary number?

Nighterlev wrote:
Classic Halo did none of this, Melee for one doesn't allow your gun to be up, neither does throwing grenades. If we're talking about "true classic halo" that didn't involve a 4th option (H3 Equipment, HR Armor abilities, H4 Armor abilities, H5 Spartan abilities) then Classic Halo ended in Halo 3, case closed. With Sprint, the game by no means feels choppy at all.
Split seconds vs Long period of Times are not the same thing.

Nighterlev wrote:
Sprint belongs in Halo just like any other ability does.
Prone, corner leaning, wall huggning, blind firing, hot potatoing.
Or are we only going with stuff already in? Which begs to question, other mechanics have been scrapped, why couldn't sprint?
By which merits does sprint belong in Halo "just like any other ability"? Because each iteration of it has seen plenty of nerfs, both directly and indirectly.
Nighterlev wrote:
ouv wrote:
.
Read above, I don't really know what else to say to you as well besides this. Also, Halo's golden triangle has been compromised since Halo 3. The Golden triangle ended with Halo 2, and even in Halo 2 you could still technically say it was compromised with the super jump glitches, button combo glitches, and so on. When you melee, it keeps you from shooting, just like sprinting keeps you from shooting. What's really the difference here other then Sprint allows you to get from location A to location B much, much faster?
Why was I quoted? You're talking to the wrong guy about the Golden Triangle.
Nighterlev wrote:
Anyone who see's it in a different perspective or attempts to say that older Halo games had faster base movement speed, are wrong. The video shown here proves why: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg .
I appreciate the try but there ae a few problems. First off you say older Halo games. There is a S after game meaning plural or more than one yet only one Halo game is in the video. Second, that game is Halo 3 which has the slowest movement speed out of every Halo game I think. Third, the examples all don't start in the same exact place. Fourth, Halo 5's remade Heretic map isn't going to have the exact dimensions of the original. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Halo 3 version.
didn't even bother reading it because it is the dumbest topic out there right now. Just because it has sprint doesn't mean its not Halo. It's one whole mechanic, that's it. If you don't like sprint, don't sprint. Problem solved.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. In the event you're not, it is not at all that simple.
I appreciate the try but there ae a few problems. First off you say older Halo games. There is a S after game meaning plural or more than one yet only one Halo game is in the video. Second, that game is Halo 3 which has the slowest movement speed out of every Halo game I think. Third, the examples all don't start in the same exact place. Fourth, Halo 5's remade Heretic map isn't going to have the exact dimensions of the original. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Halo 3 version.
I just want to straighten out a common misconception.

Halo CE, 2 and 3 all have the exact same base movement Speed. Halo Reach had it reduced slightly, I can't remember what it was for Halo 4, but Halo 5 had it increased beyond the original trilogy.
Halo 3 feels slow because of a low Field of View, which has quite an impact in how fast you seem to be going, not how fast you actually go.

Keep in mind, Halo 5's increased in BMS happened after its beta, and if I recall, to further decrease the escapability aspect of sprinting. That was despite shields not starting to recharge if you started sprinting.

Truth, Halo 5's "spiritual remake", does not have the same dimensions as Heretic or Midship from previous games, it is larger. Nigherlev however chose a 1:1 Forge remake map for his video, the question is, if Truth isn't a 1:1 remake of Midship, and there aren't any smaller Maps, why didn't i343 make it a 1:1 remake? Because the speed at which you travel is a factor when deciding how long it should take to get from one place to another.

Nighterlev's video shows that we have a higher velocity in Halo 5, but another video in almost the same formatting pre-dating nighterlev's video by years, Showcase Midship vs Truth and how many seconds it takes to get from one place to another using different settings. Result in that video was that despite an increased movement Speed and sprinting, Halo 5's time to travel was close to identical to that of Halo 3's from corresponding places on both maps.
Nighterlev wrote:
S IH A N E wrote:
I cannot stand sprint. I have played halo since 2002 and I truly believe that it ruined the game. The maps are larger and do not play fluidly like Halo CE-3. Classic halo you always had your gun up, giving you the ability to shoot, grenade, run and jump all at the same time, with sprint the game feels choppy. Sprint simply does not belong in halo.
Halo 5 matches play fluid, incredibly fluid and smooth. The games usually don't even go past the 10 minute mark unless your playing against a relatively skilled team. Not all Maps are larger, only a couple of them actually are.

Classic Halo did none of this, Melee for one doesn't allow your gun to be up, neither does throwing grenades. If we're talking about "true classic halo" that didn't involve a 4th option (H3 Equipment, HR Armor abilities, H4 Armor abilities, H5 Spartan abilities) then Classic Halo ended in Halo 3, case closed. With Sprint, the game by no means feels choppy at all.

Sprint belongs in Halo just like any other ability does.
So , are you just a fan of sprint in halo , or All armor abilities , spartan abilities , some abilities in other franchises have that aren't in the game yet , or all of the above ?
Naqser wrote:
Older Halo bms speeds weren't even part of the post your quoting, not even in the part you cut out, only an alternative to increasing speeds other than sprint, if Speed was an issue in the first place.
I was a bit tired when I made that comment and didn't read your guys original comments to the fullest detail, so I just assumed all of you were talking about Halo 5's Sprint mechanic and the classic "it doesn't increase your speed" across maps, even though it does, and the video I posted shows that it does. I included the BMS comparisons just because theirs also people out there who think the BMS is the same, or slower in H5 vs H1-H3.
Naqser wrote:
PS, yes, it is known that Halo 5 BMS is the highest default bms of all Halo's.
Like I said, theirs people out there who don't think this at all (I've met them, and argued with them before about it.) Use my video to prove them wrong.
Naqser wrote:
So Halo 5 is only popular because it has sprint? No, Eagle can't know who the majority is, but you're not really helping your own case with more loose statements.
I didn't state Halo 5 was "only popular because it has sprint" I stated it seems to be pretty popular to this day, with the competitive scene even coming back to Halo because of H5. Why exactly? Balanced maps, balanced gameplay, balanced weapon layouts, weapons don't necessarily over power one another, and the Sprint mechanic in particular just "works" in Halo 5's sand box for competitive players.
Naqser wrote:
What is the "pace of the game" even? Can you define it?
Some regard Halo CE to be the fastest paced game of all Halo's, despite lacking sprint.
Fast pace generally means the movement surrounding the game is incredibly quick, lots of things happen all at once, things you can't even really control. When people talk about Halo CE in terms of "fast pace" they're actually talking about how long games last, not it being "fast paced", It's a common misconception as to what fast paced actually means. Comparing Halo 5 to Halo CE, you have a ton more things happening incredibly quickly all at once in H5 by far.
Naqser wrote:
Momentary moments when you can't use a specific action is far less intrusive than trading Combat and movement capabilities over a long period of time.
Define long period of time. Going from point A to point B in 5 seconds from spawn isn't really "that" long at all, and can be quickly stopped the moment you see a player in front of you.
Naqser wrote:
You could also technically not bother trying to apply glitches as an argument as those were not intended mechanics by the developers.
Not intended, but still used in the competitive scene, and even banned at times. By this logic, H2 was intended to have sprint by the developers but got cut last minute due to unfinished animations and likely over-all an unfinished balance layout. In my eyes H2's Coagulation was a map that was actually intended to actually use sprint before it got cut. So was a large majority of Halo 2's' campaign missions funny enough.
Naqser wrote:
Also, yet again, time to travel is based on Speed and distance. The time to travel is up to the designer.
8 seconds to get from A to B is the same in all Halo's.
I would actually love to dispute this and see whether or not if this is actually true at all. Do you know of any video evidence/proof which shows it's exactly the same across all Halo's from Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and 4? If not, I'll probably be doing this myself actually. I remember even seeing some things about how H4's base speed is "slower", same with Reach vs the older Halo's but no proof or evidence was ever shown of it actually being proven at all.
Naqser wrote:
Picking an arbitrary number?
That's how long most matches generally last out of my 5,000+ Arena games in Halo 5 alone. Including Warzone I'd have around 6.5k or so matches in total for Halo 5 in it's entirety. I'm only basing that 10 minute number off of experience, nothing else.

Naqser wrote:
Prone, corner leaning, wall huggning, blind firing, hot potatoing.
Pretty sure corner leaning, wall hugging, blind firing, hot potatoing (what even is this?) were never going to be mechanics in any of the current Halo titles at all to begin with, so I don't really know how they could've been cut content. Correct me if I'm wrong though. This doesn't mean they can't appear in future Halo titles.

Naqser wrote:
other mechanics have been scrapped, why couldn't sprint?
What other mechanics? Most mechanics that got scrapped from older Halo titles due to being unfinished or some other reason, generally made a come back in future Halo titles quite often. Sprint is one of these abilites, which made a come back in Reach, and so far is here to stay permanently given how refined it's gotten since then.

I appreciate the try but there ae a few problems. First off you say older Halo games. There is a S after game meaning plural or more than one yet only one Halo game is in the video. Second, that game is Halo 3 which has the slowest movement speed out of every Halo game I think. Third, the examples all don't start in the same exact place. Fourth, Halo 5's remade Heretic map isn't going to have the exact dimensions of the original. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Halo 3 version.
There's literally no problems with the video, and the remade Heretic map in H5 isn't smaller then the original at all. In fact I'd argue it's actually slightly bigger in some area's of the map then it is in the original. I already stated there could be inconsistencies in the description of the video to, but generally it's the best 1:1 comparison we have so far. Unless of course you want to start going on comparing Halo 5's Mercy map to Halo 4's Haven map, then use the speed from H4's Haven map to apply to Pitfall, which was a remade Halo 3 map of The Pit. This of course is pretty complex all honestly, especially when trying to compare 2 entirely different maps over-all. Although I wouldn't be surprsied if it showed the exact same results I showed in the video I made, which shows H5's BMS is much faster then Halo 3's, and with Sprint it's even faster.

2 Halo games are shown in the video, Halo 5 and Halo 3. Not 1. Plus I purposely used the original Xbox 360 version running on the native hardware, that runs at 30fps, instead of the 60fps Halo MCC H3 version. Why did I do this? People would argue H3 MCC/XONE is "faster" then H3 X360. I actually did my own comparisons of this as well, and saw little to no difference, maybe a 5-10 milisecond difference but could be just a point of error at that point when comparing movement. Haven't done a video on it, but I would post a video showing it if you wanted me to Really shows just how much 60fps improves how you percieve the game itself to.

I stated "Halo games" because generally it's commonly believed that Halo 1, 2, and 3 have the exact same BMS. I'm not entirely sure how true this is though and I'll be doing testing of it myself, but if someone else has proof I'd love to see it.
Naqser wrote:
Result in that video was that despite an increased movement Speed and sprinting, Halo 5's time to travel was close to identical to that of Halo 3's from corresponding places on both maps.
I know exactly which video your talking about, and the video I made is actually a direct response to that video entirely. BTW, the video was made on May 29th, 2017. The whole "120% speed" for the map Truth on Halo 5 is 100% not the way to go in order to mimic H3 on H5.

By increasing the BMS to 120%, not only are you going above and beyond H3's BMS by a whole lot more (estimate to be like, 30-40% faster?), you're essentially making a slightly slower Doom/Quake clone at that point. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Also, the video only showed one location, not the entire map itself at all.

So , are you just a fan of sprint in halo , or All armor abilities , spartan abilities , some abilities in other franchises have that aren't in the game yet , or all of the above ?
This matters because..? I'm only stating what's obvious, with test to back up what I'm saying. Being a fan of Sprint, or not a fan doesn't really matter at all in this discussion and me showing this information would expose the classical "well your biased so ur results are false" argument. Same goes for Spartan Abilites/Armor abilites. I've seen it happen way to many times.
Nighterlev wrote:
Naqser wrote:
Result in that video was that despite an increased movement Speed and sprinting, Halo 5's time to travel was close to identical to that of Halo 3's from corresponding places on both maps.
I know exactly which video your talking about, and the video I made is actually a direct response to that video entirely. BTW, the video was made on May 29th, 2017. The whole "120% speed" for the map Truth on Halo 5 is 100% not the way to go in order to mimic H3 on H5.

By increasing the BMS to 120%, not only are you going above and beyond H3's BMS by a whole lot more (estimate to be like, 30-40% faster?), you're essentially making a slightly slower Doom/Quake clone at that point. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Also, the video only showed one location, not the entire map itself at all.

So , are you just a fan of sprint in halo , or All armor abilities , spartan abilities , some abilities in other franchises have that aren't in the game yet , or all of the above ?
This matters because..? I'm only stating what's obvious, with test to back up what I'm saying. Being a fan of Sprint, or not a fan doesn't really matter at all in this discussion and me showing this information would expose the classical "well your biased so ur results are false" argument. Same goes for Spartan Abilites/Armor abilites. I've seen it happen way to many times.
Seen it all before, I don't buy into it one way or another. These video don't prove or disprove anything. there's plenty of data out there on bms, Spartan abilities, maps time to kill, I've played shooters enough to know how a game feels and if it's fun thats the only metric that's important to me
Seen it all before, I don't buy into it one way or another. These video don't prove or disprove anything. there's plenty of data out there on bms, Spartan abilities, maps time to kill, I've played shooters enough to know how a game feels and if it's fun thats the only metric that's important to me
I honestly have no idea what your replying to here now. These videos prove quite a lot actually. Yes, the data I just provided shows H5's BMS is much faster then Halo 3's. Even Naqser knows this.

Time to kill has remained relatively unchanged, you know that right? In fact Halo 5 generally has a higher TTK due to everyone using the pistol, rather then the BR, DMR, or LR. LR has the fastest TTK btw, yet barely anyone uses it due to difficulty when using it properly.

If the only thing that matters to you is whether or not a game is fun, then why are you here? This is the Sprint discussion thread after all.
Nighterlev wrote:
Seen it all before, I don't buy into it one way or another. These video don't prove or disprove anything. there's plenty of data out there on bms, Spartan abilities, maps time to kill, I've played shooters enough to know how a game feels and if it's fun thats the only metric that's important to me
I honestly have no idea what your replying to here now. These videos prove quite a lot actually. Yes, the data I just provided shows H5's BMS is much faster then Halo 3's. Even Naqser knows this.

Time to kill has remained relatively unchanged, you know that right? In fact Halo 5 generally has a higher TTK due to everyone using the pistol, rather then the BR, DMR, or LR. LR has the fastest TTK btw, yet barely anyone uses it due to difficulty when using it properly.

If the only thing that matters to you is whether or not a game is fun, then why are you here? This is the Sprint discussion thread after all.
I don't need a video to confirm h5 bms is quicker, play the game for 2 mins it's obvious . Sprint and the various spartan abilities contribute to weather the game is fun, because I don't geek out on trying to one up people with videos to prove I'm right doesn't mean I don't have a right to be involved in a forum. And yes I'm very aware of the time to kill in all shooters and how it interacts with the combat loop as well mechanics like sprint. I don't need a video essay for that I can critically think for myself.
Nighterlev wrote:
ouv wrote:
You move so fast in H2/H3 and you can still shoot, you can crouch jump backwards up on things that you can't do in halo 5 walking.
Yeah, I did exactly that in this video which practically proves that Halo 5's base movement speed is way faster then Halo 3's, like way way faster..https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg
IMO because some people see it from a different perspective, and sees the opposite..
Anyone who see's it in a different perspective or attempts to say that older Halo games had faster base movement speed, are wrong. The video shown here proves why: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg .
Fortunately, 343 is actually listening to us, the majority,
Listening to who? Who's the majority here? People who generally like Sprint seem to be the majority given how long Halo 5 has lasted so far (4 years going on 5 with lots of people still playing it to this day), and how much money it made MS/343.
how Inifinte looks art-wise.
Halo Infinite is using the Halo Legends art style with some H5 additions and Forerunner architecture..The entire Pelican even has that nice H4/H5 coat of paint on it. So does the terrain, and the Warthog it-self that we've seen so far. Really the only "classic" edition we've actually seen is the Reach AR appearing breifly in Halo Infinite's trailer, but nothing else.

,
To be quite honest I couldn't be bothered with reading each giant paragraph to the full extent but I can already tell you Halo 5's base movement speed is much, much faster then Halo 3's by far. Sprint just adds extra additions to this increased movement speed to the max, and generally resulting in a faster paced game entirely.

Halo 5 rewards aim as well pretty massively, resulting in most pro-players trying to be as accurate as possible due to bullet magnetism being little to non-existant depending on weapon to weapon Here's the video proving my point about Sprint: https://youtu.be/QF8HoWDIrZg
.
Read above, I don't really know what else to say to you as well besides this. Also, Halo's golden triangle has been compromised since Halo 3. The Golden triangle ended with Halo 2, and even in Halo 2 you could still technically say it was compromised with the super jump glitches, button combo glitches, and so on. When you melee, it keeps you from shooting, just like sprinting keeps you from shooting. What's really the difference here other then Sprint allows you to get from location A to location B much, much faster?
That's because the majority of players actually left a while ago. Sprint being one of the main reasons why. I won't bother arguing with you about money. What was done with the advertising leading up to Halo 5 was borderline illegal. The story speaks for itself.
Nighterlev wrote:
Naqser wrote:
I appreciate the try but there ae a few problems. First off you say older Halo games. There is a S after game meaning plural or more than one yet only one Halo game is in the video. Second, that game is Halo 3 which has the slowest movement speed out of every Halo game I think. Third, the examples all don't start in the same exact place. Fourth, Halo 5's remade Heretic map isn't going to have the exact dimensions of the original. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the Halo 3 version.
There's literally no problems with the video, and the remade Heretic map in H5 isn't smaller then the original at all.
So, where is the proof? Am I just supposed to take your word for it? Have you actually measured it?
Nighterlev wrote:
Naqser wrote:
In fact I'd argue it's actually slightly bigger in some area's of the map then it is in the original.
Did you use those parts in the video?
That's because the majority of players actually left a while ago. Sprint being one of the main reasons why. I won't bother arguing with you about money. What was done with the advertising leading up to Halo 5 was borderline illegal. The story speaks for itself.
Just so you know, if you click the box in the top right corner, you can delete everyone elses replies/names and just reply to me solely rather then everyone I replied to at once. A majority of Halo players actually returned to H5's competitive MP, and are pretty much here to stay to this very day.
What was done with advertising H5 wasn't borderline illegal at all, not even sure why you're trying to state that it is.
Nighterlev wrote:
I was a bit tired when I made that comment and didn't read your guys original comments to the fullest detail, so I just assumed all of you were talking about Halo 5's Sprint mechanic and the classic "it doesn't increase your speed" across maps, even though it does, and the video I posted shows that it does. I included the BMS comparisons just because theirs also people out there who think the BMS is the same, or slower in H5 vs H1-H3.

Like I said, theirs people out there who don't think this at all (I've met them, and argued with them before about it.) Use my video to prove them wrong.
Fair enough, as there are some people who believe so.

Bolded, but this is pretty much semantics.
Yes, you do have a higher velocity, but as has been stated, time is a metric used, as such, in terms of getting anywhere quicker or slower, the speed at which you travel is the deciding factor on how long you have to travel.

If we were to take the hypothetical scenario that both bms and sprint was actually slower than the original trilogy's bms, you wouldn't get anywhere slower in terms of time. In velocity? Yes, in time, if current metric map design philosophies would be used for that map design scenario, no. Would it make for good gameplay with really slow bms and sprint? Most likely not but quality of gameplay isn't part of the discussion for that particular scenario.

Nighterlev wrote:
I didn't state Halo 5 was "only popular because it has sprint" I stated it seems to be pretty popular to this day, with the competitive scene even coming back to Halo because of H5. Why exactly? Balanced maps, balanced gameplay, balanced weapon layouts, weapons don't necessarily over power one another, and the Sprint mechanic in particular just "works" in Halo 5's sand box for competitive players.
No, not directly, but one can certainly easily interpret your statements in that manner though.
If we want to ponder about the competitive scene coming back, which time frame are we talking about? I've never followed competitive Halo, but I have read atleast the headlines when such articles have popped up. So, my encounters with such headlines has been this, when Halo 5 released, there were some headlines regarding Halo 5's tournaments, however as of late, I haven't seen any tournament articles regarding Halo 5, however Halo 3 has seen a comeback, to my surprise.

I'm pretty sure sprint in Halo 5 works for Halo 5's sandbox as it was there when the game was designed, and had to be taken into consideration, and as such "works" in a competitive spectrum. As I haven't followed any competitive scene, I'm not aware of which big old competitive players still are present. I do remember some bigger names did comment on it, not being that impressed with sprint, back in the day.

Nighterlev wrote:
Fast pace generally means the movement surrounding the game is incredibly quick, lots of things happen all at once, things you can't even really control. When people talk about Halo CE in terms of "fast pace" they're actually talking about how long games last, not it being "fast paced", It's a common misconception as to what fast paced actually means. Comparing Halo 5 to Halo CE, you have a ton more things happening incredibly quickly all at once in H5 by far.
So any game which has a lot of stuff going on at once, what kind of stuff exactly?
A Halo CE 4v4 Slayer match on Rat's Nest with first to 50 kills ending faster than a Halo 5's Slayer Match on Empire doesn't mean Halo CE would be faster paced because there's still more actions happening per minute and mechanics going off in Halo 5?
Are different definitions of "fast paced" used for Halo CE and Halo 5? Why?

Nighterlev wrote:
Define long period of time. Going from point A to point B in 5 seconds from spawn isn't really "that" long at all, and can be quickly stopped the moment you see a player in front of you.
How long does melee generally disable shooting? 0,5? 0,75 seconds? A grenade toss is quite quick as well.
Perhaps long time is poorly worded, so let's change it to something more usable.

The longer you sprint the more value you get out of it, but that means sprinting for a considerable amount of time. As you won't get much out of it sprinting for 1 second or 2 as the distance difference between bms and sprint at that short of a usage is barely noticeable. The more value you want from it the more you need to disable your other abilities and sacrifice part of your mobility in exchange for a forward speed boost. Neither of the other abilities affect movement in any other way, and only disrupt the other abilities for a split second, while netting you value if it connects, but there is not much value lost if you fail.

Being able to quickly stop if you see an enemy infront of you is hardly anything to put in the christmas tree for sprint.

Nighterlev wrote:
Not intended, but still used in the competitive scene, and even banned at times. By this logic, H2 was intended to have sprint by the developers but got cut last minute due to unfinished animations and likely over-all an unfinished balance layout. In my eyes H2's Coagulation was a map that was actually intended to actually use sprint before it got cut. So was a large majority of Halo 2's' campaign missions funny enough.
Oh please, a glitch is an unforseen issue in the game which by definition was never intended to be there. Button combos and super jumping were glitches, doesn't matter what the competitive scene did with them.
Yes, Halo 2 does lack sprinting animations for most weapons, could be though that the work on those animations wasn't continued as sprint was cut due to "pacing issues", never reaching further than prototyping. So, you think that an integral part of the game, sprinting, was cut when the Map design teams for MP and SP were told that sprint would definately be there, with some very specific metrics for how it'd work?
Not as drastical but it'd kind of be like testing prone, having map designers design maps with prone specific things, and then cutting prone out entirely.
Naqser wrote:
Also, yet again, time to travel is based on Speed and distance. The time to travel is up to the designer.
8 seconds to get from A to B is the same in all Halo's.
Nighterlev wrote:
I would actually love to dispute this and see whether or not if this is actually true at all.
Your time to travel a specific distance: Time = Distance / Speed
Who exactly if not the designer(s) of the maps decide how long it has to take to get from one place on a map to another?
Well, while I can't really prove that 8 seconds in Halo CE, is as long as 8 seconds in any other Halo, I do believe that'd fall under the realm of some Quantum Mechanics, and I do find it hard to believe that anyone, ever, has been able to program something which alter the actual laws of physics, let alone Quantum Physics.
So, that assumption does lead me to believe, that 8 seconds in Halo CE, is infact, 8 seconds in any other Halo in existance.

Nighterlev wrote:
Do you know of any video evidence/proof which shows it's exactly the same across all Halo's from Halo 1, 2, 3, Reach, and 4?
Video.
Halo CE picture.
Halo 3 Picture.
Halo Reach Picture.

I've lost the Halo 2 one but I'm sure it's circulating somewhere.

Nighterlev wrote:
That's how long most matches generally last out of my 5,000+ Arena games in Halo 5 alone. Including Warzone I'd have around 6.5k or so matches in total for Halo 5 in it's entirety. I'm only basing that 10 minute number off of experience, nothing else.
And that number signifies, what exactly?

Nighterlev wrote:
Pretty sure corner leaning, wall hugging, blind firing, hot potatoing (what even is this?) were never going to be mechanics in any of the current Halo titles at all to begin with, so I don't really know how they could've been cut content. Correct me if I'm wrong though. This doesn't mean they can't appear in future Halo titles.
Sprint belonging in Halo, "just like any other ability does", pretty much means that any other ability belongs in Halo, which happens to include all the ones I listed.
Any and all of those mechanics could very well have been on the drawing table for any Halo, as far as I'm concerned, it was never about "cut content".

Nighterlev wrote:
What other mechanics? Most mechanics that got scrapped from older Halo titles due to being unfinished or some other reason, generally made a come back in future Halo titles quite often. Sprint is one of these abilites, which made a come back in Reach, and so far is here to stay permanently given how refined it's gotten since then.
Hello dual wielding, flinching, greande indicators, armor abilities, equipment, plenty of game modes.
Redefined? It's been nerfed again and again, it's usability in some of its areas driven down, and the major driving point for its inclusion from i343 was "player expectations".

"Permanently" is quite a strong word to use, considering the many different things that have been said to be here to stay, only to get axed later.

Nighterlev wrote:
I know exactly which video your talking about, and the video I made is actually a direct response to that video entirely. BTW, the video was made on May 29th, 2017. The whole "120% speed" for the map Truth on Halo 5 is 100% not the way to go in order to mimic H3 on H5.
By increasing the BMS to 120%, not only are you going above and beyond H3's BMS by a whole lot more (estimate to be like, 30-40% faster?), you're essentially making a slightly slower Doom/Quake clone at that point. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Also, the video only showed one location, not the entire map itself at all.
You do realise that increasing Halo 5's bms speed to 120% was not to mimic Halo 3? But to showcase that with an increased bms speed on Halo 5, you can, without sprint, reach the samish times to travel over a map similar to that of Halo 3's midship.

Slightly slower Doom / Quake clone?
Pardon me but I do think that there are some more factors on how a game plays other than the basic movement speed, so no, that part of yours does not make any sense at all.
Well I guess that if you don't trust the video you could test out the entire map?
Nighterlev wrote:
That's because the majority of players actually left a while ago. Sprint being one of the main reasons why. I won't bother arguing with you about money. What was done with the advertising leading up to Halo 5 was borderline illegal. The story speaks for itself.
Just so you know, if you click the box in the top right corner, you can delete everyone elses replies/names and just reply to me solely rather then everyone I replied to at once. A majority of Halo players actually returned to H5's competitive MP, and are pretty much here to stay to this very day.
What was done with advertising H5 wasn't borderline illegal at all, not even sure why you're trying to state that it is.
I didn't know that thanks. I'm talking about ads and trailers years ago.
Nighterlev wrote:
IMO because some people see it from a different perspective, and sees the opposite..
Anyone who see's it in a different perspective or attempts to say that older Halo games had faster base movement speed, are wrong. The video shown here proves why:
Trust me, I am very aware of the exact base movement speeds in each Halo game.

There's already a video about CE-Reach. Tsassi did one for Halo 4 and Halo 5. No comparisons to other games either - literally an objective number.

I even use those figures and compare them to real life scenarios explicitly to counter the "lore" argument and the belief that Chief walks no faster than a real life human.

Spoiler:
Show
Unfortunately, my comment had nothing to do with that (as Naqser said). It was only about the claim that this one mechanic named "Sprint" is the only way to increase speed and mobility, ignoring the half dozen other ways the Halo series has done it.

But to go with your comment, it would actually be more correct to say "older Halo games had faster base movement speed." Comparing the 3 older games (CE, 2, & 3) to the 3 newer games (Reach, 4, and 5), two out of the three newer Halo games have a slower base movement speed than the original trilogy. Only Halo 5 has a faster Base Movement speed than the original series, and therefore the fastest in the entire series.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 827
  4. 828
  5. 829
  6. ...
  7. 830