OP Gandalfur

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 837
  4. 838
  5. 839
  6. ...
  7. 840
Who cares? Just enjoy the new game! Odds are things that 343 implemented will most likely stay...I would be very surprised to see sprint removed.

Instead of arguing about this we should be discussing the topic of battle royals and possibility of halo implementing one into infinite. I pray to god this does not happen
Who cares? Just enjoy the new game! Odds are things that 343 implemented will most likely stay...I would be very surprised to see sprint removed.

Instead of arguing about this we should be discussing the topic of battle royals and possibility of halo implementing one into infinite. I pray to god this does not happen
i agree with you.
there are things that will stay for ever in the halo series and become more a basic thing in the series.

there is a big chance there never gone remove sprint from the halo series that sprint will chance in each new game is somthing else but removing is something there not gone do at some point.

its the same with Warzone that type playlist is something that there never gone remove more since in halo 3 ODST it was the first time there have add a second game playlist on the menu and since then its becoming more a basic thing that you more get Campaing,Matchmaking,Forge and the second playlist like FireFight,Warzone and spec opps.
the only thing there have done since Halo 3 ODST with it is change it and not remove it.

the big discusion is now we most have is about a battle royal in the halo series.
is that something halo needs or not needs.

in the 4 years off this thread has notting been chance it only has show that the communety from halo has been split about sprint.
if there add sprint option in the next halo game halo infinite then its the developers choose to do it same if there not wane add it its there choose not us to make.
the only thing we can show is that we disagree with it or agree with it but the final decision about adding sprint or not has been make all but there not gone tell us and for that we have to wait when the game is out.
Spikanor wrote:
the only thing we can show is that we disagree with it or agree with it
Therefore this thread has reason to exist. It's a discussion thread, not "make 343 do X" thread.

You and X SniPEd YoU X going "who cares? We need to talk about this other subjective thing instead!" is not only off topic, it's telling people that their discussion, and therefore opinion does not matter because it's not battle royale.

To which I say: "go make a 'Battle Royale discussion' thread"
Spikanor wrote:
Therefore this thread has reason to exist. It's a discussion thread, not "make 343 do X" thread.

You and X SniPEd YoU X going "who cares? We need to talk about this other subjective thing instead!" is not only off topic, it's telling people that their discussion, and therefore opinion does not matter because it's not battle royale.

Haha I guess your right.
I had an idea recently for how you might be able to implement sprint while still addressing the concerns that no-sprint folks (such as myself) have about map design and the combat loop with its inclusion. Forgive me if someone else presented this idea or some variation earlier in the thread, but with nearly 850 pages to go through I don't exactly have the time to ensure I'm being original here.

The basis of the idea is that rather than have sprint as an instant activation by a player pressing a button, you have it as a passive activation from a player's forward movement. So let's say you have CE-3 base movement speed, with the ability to shoot, melee, throw grenades, all that good stuff. After ~7 seconds or so of forward movement on the player's part, they would begin to sprint at however much of an increase to movement speed, unable to shoot/throw grenades/melee without dropping out of sprint, which they would then have to build up the momentum again in order to sprint once more. This would allow a map like Midship or Warlock to exist without enlarging the map (and thus lengthening the sight-lines) by accounting for sprint, because odds are in a 4v4 Slayer match you're going to get into a fight before you've sprinted across the regular length of those maps, and will have to regain that speed again once you have. It also allows sprint to remain as a decent traversal tool for larger BTB maps in the event you are unable to acquire a vehicle, or campaign levels in general where balancing against other players is moot.

I went with 7 seconds here for the obvious reference, but also because I think it's a good number when considering the criticism that sprint makes escape too easy. Having to commit to the sprint for seven seconds would hypothetically force the escaping player to be more aware of their surroundings to keep cover so they are not killed while trying to run away. And if the following player is unable to kill the runner within those seven seconds, he likely would not have been able to if the game had no sprint in the first place. Not being a game designer myself, I could see this number either going up or down depending on actual playtesting, and almost certainly with the time to sprint in the campaign being lowered to again reinforce its use for traversal (and have the value be fully adjustable in custom games besides). I believe playtesting would also show whether it would be necessary to have the TTS countdown be reset when a player is shot, have it add additional time per shot/amount of damage taken while building momentum, or if the length of the TTS would be sufficient on its own. I might air on the side of only the time commitment as the deciding factor, but that could change depending on how the testing played out (though I personally think the TTS for multiplayer should be no less than five seconds at absolute best, and no less than three seconds for campaign). Odds are you would want a player getting shot to knock them out of sprint as well, but I admittedly haven't given that aspect much thought as yet.

I also wanted to talk specifically about how this sprint system would work with the Energy Sword, since the inclusion of sprint has made the sword a much more offensive tool than it was in the original three games. Since any attack forces the player out of sprint as is, the inclusion of the TTS would make it harder for a player with the sword to sprint around cutting down the enemy team, since they would have to once again build up to a sprint after every kill, thus making escape after a kill and running to the next one more difficult. This puts the sword back into a more defensive weapon, which I personally think is for the better. I also considered the possibility that switching weapons during a sprint would cause you to drop out of it as well, so that a player could not sprint around the map with a BR as a fakeout and then swap to the sword just before getting in lunge range and keep their speed. This would make sword sprinting a full commitment on the player's part, and thus making them a more obvious target for the enemy team when doing so. This possibility would also make it harder to sprint in with the shotgun, gravity hammer, and other such power weapons without being noticed by the opposing team. I'm not sure how weapon switching forcing the player out of sprint balances out with the regular weapons, however, so I believe this possibility would definitely need some testing, perhaps resulting in it being a power weapon exclusive factor, but I'm not sure.

And on a final note, removing the need for sprint to be tied to a button press has the added benefit of freeing up that button for other uses on the controller, whether that be some all new mechanic, or just putting crouch back onto left stick on the default controls (where I believe it should be) and help de-clutter the somewhat cramped controls that I felt Halo 5 suffered from at times.

There are likely other factors I have not accounted for in my reasoning, but that is part of why I am posting it here, to see what everyone else thinks and what they believe would improve the concept. So please, let me know what you think.
Spikanor wrote:

first off all there are all a lot off threads about battle royale discussion and all off then are not that big maybe if you are lucky you find some topic's that have max 2 page's on it.
there is one that has 13 page's but its not active any more.
and like other threards like the classic movement mechanics's and threads like that have become more a general discussion thread about the topic are not sticky on the forum so if a monderator wane make 1 post like this thread or the classic movement mechanics's more the general disscussion thread about the topic then its good if there sticky it and that players not have to remake new post's about it since its far away in the list.

but this thread has show there is a big split in the comunnety about things like this.
Am I the only one who likes sprint? xD
just imagine if halo started with the sprint, as i hear the sprint would have ruin the game ? absolutely not i personally wish that halo had sprint since the beginning but that's how it is if 343 want to add the sprint then you have to accept it. Also it's way more easy to have the sprint and remember we are playing as spartan. if 343 listen to all the peoples saying that the sprint should be removed then that means that since halo 5 master chief told to himself "i think i should stop sprinting" and just think about the new generation halo is evolving and i don't know why it should stay like the old days
if 343 listen to all the peoples saying that the sprint should be removed then that means that since halo 5 master chief told to himself "i think i should stop sprinting"
I wonder how other people felt when Chief decided to tell himself "I shouldn't hold these two guns at the same time anymore, I'll stick to one gun at a time my left arm gets tired."
if 343 listen to all the peoples saying that the sprint should be removed then that means that since halo 5 master chief told to himself "i think i should stop sprinting"
I wonder how other people felt when Chief decided to tell himself "I shouldn't hold these two guns at the same time anymore, I'll stick to one gun at a time my left arm gets tired."
Or "I guess these bubble shields and trip mines are totally worthless and have never once saved my life" Or, "I guess this auto turret and heat vision are completely worthless, we don't need those" Or, "Owie, I got shot, better de-scope my weapon!"
I dont like sprint, please either:

1. Leave it out of Halo Infinite
2. Ensure a permanent no-sprint matchmaking playlist is live upon day 1 of Halo Infinite's launch.

Sprint slows down the game too much - I dont like how long gun fights are from first shot to kill.

Instead of abilities designed to keep players alive longer (sprint, hardlight shield, bubble shield, etc...), how about abilities designed to kill opponents faster?

Quick reload? Doubleshot mechanic (with a cooldown)? Quick melee abilities? Make the guns stronger (3 shot kills instead of 5 shots)?

The pace of the game has been a dealbreaker for me for the last few halo titles, and I've consistently been disappointed from halo 3 to halo 5. I will write off halo infinite just as I did with halo 5 if kill times aren't faster.
I don't think sprint should be in competitive playlists, but it should be in the more social playlists and an option in custom games.
I don't think sprint should be in competitive playlists, but it should be in the more social playlists and an option in custom games.
its a good idea but its sadly somebody has suggest this type idea all and since the thread is so long you cant know that it has been suggest all.

the main point is more that some off then not wane see it in any playlist in both ranked and social playlist's.

in the end more not any idea seems to work good about this type off discussions when you try to find a balance since there will always some people that disagree with it and only wane see sprint gone from the full game and not that some type off playlist's not have sprint and others have.
Hey, I got an idea, let's use a real life example:

The place I like to go play paintball is in some woods with plenty of additional cover provided. If I want to move from cover to cover, I try to do it as quick as possible in case someone sees and shoots at me. If I am moving directly towards the enemy team, I try to keep my gun pointed in their direction in case someone pops out as I am running. Sure, sometimes I forget, and yeah my accuracy might not be great, but shooting back might force the other person to hide, saving myself in the process. Not as important when moving horizontally though.
I'll tell you the negatives of sprint.
Messes up the pace of halo, even Bungie mentioned this when thinking of adding sprint into halo 2.
I'll explain, going from point A to B, now what sprint does is stretches this because to balance it correctly, so now if you want to shoot, your going slower, elongating your time of getting to point B.
Also, it messes up the pace as when you have to stop sprinting to shoot, you stop going at full speed, and when you want to travel the map you must lower your gun to travel again.
It's this, slow-fast-slow-fast switching that bothers players.
You are also weaker compared to previous games, why can't we have our choice to shoot while at full speed? We can tell the addition of sprint is just a stupid immersion gimmick that has been added in.
Sprint is unnecessary and was better without it, the community was split ever since the arrival of halo 2, but sprint has literally torn this community apart.
i like the slow fast slow it keeps me on my toes
My opinion is, what kind of Spartan can't run?

I love halo 3 but every time I play it I get frustrated because Chief is so painfully slow, he can barely get past jogging marines, it doesn't make me feel like a spartan. I'm not saying Halo 3 would be better with sprint, but I don't think a little faster movement would hurt.

I think they should have sprint but also make the base movement a little faster again.
it seems that sprint is staying in the halo series and its not getting remove any more.
its been confirmed in the halo infinite gameplay trailer that sprint is staying.
Spikanor wrote:
it seems that sprint is staying in the halo series and its not getting remove any more.
its been confirmed in the halo infinite gameplay trailer that sprint is staying.
*It's confirmed for campaign, but I have a feeling it won't be in 4v4. We'll see if 343 messes up again.
LITTLE TE wrote:
Spikanor wrote:
*It's confirmed for campaign, but I have a feeling it won't be in 4v4. We'll see if 343 messes up again.
I told the gentlemen I was talking to in this thread a few months ago there would be sprint. No one believed me and I told them I would say "I told you so".
I actually don't like sprint. Solely because it actually makes the gameplay more slow and less snappy. Aren't they forgetting the fact that your "running-and-gunning" not walking!? The polls say otherwise so I guess sprint will have to stay. You can literally increase the base movement speed without the need of sprint and boom done. I mean games like quake, and doom ironically do this snappy thing better than Halo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 837
  4. 838
  5. 839
  6. ...
  7. 840