Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] The sprint discussion thread

OP Gandalfur

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 840
If you're not a fan of the newer games. You might as well play mcc or play the upcoming anniversary games. If we just got another halo 3 every three years, then what would be the point?
the ide of leave sprint in this time is a suicide from the industrie, is so burring without sprint
Sprint is now an essential part of the game, and I think that the game wouldnt be as good without it
Minebro77 wrote:
If you're not a fan of the newer games. You might as well play mcc or play the upcoming anniversary games. If we just got another halo 3 every three years, then what would be the point?
By that same logic, what's the point of repeating the Halo 4/5 formula for another game. We better switch things up so it doesn't get stale.
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
ReemoYur wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Overwatch doesn' have sprint, and its flooring Halo. I don't want rid of sprint, but...come on, dude; "the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past"? Uh, yeah, it was, H2 was going to have it, but they cut it. Sprint doesn't make or break the game.
Who said it made or breaked a game? I simply said it needs to evolve. If you want to play the same game over and over, put that game in and play it. It is why I go back and play keystone games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy Tactics, or even Pokemon Red/Blue every so often. But when I get a new game I want something new. A new challenge, a new feature, a new whatever. If you can not evolve and learn to play the game the way it is then go back and play the game the way it was.
I agree strongly on your point on no sprinting but we can't remove it all together is think it be best the way it was in reach as a pick up object or a playlist without sprint would be optimal.
I really don't think sprint by itself would be a big deal. I think the balanced guns along with sprint is what really makes Halo 5 play completely different from the original trilogy.

In the original trilogy, a lot of emphasis was put on your utility. If you were skilled with your utility, it didn't matter what gun your opponent had (unless it was one of the power weapons), you could have a chance to win the firefight. In Halo 5, with every gun having it's own niche, it becomes more of a game of equipping yourself with the best loadout, rather than getting really good with aiming your utility. It completely changes what is rewarded in terms of skill. Instead of one teammate grabbing a power weapon and the rest holding a strong position on the map, it has become a race to the SMG or Storm Rifles (just using these as examples to help make my point) because they are the easiest to use, as long as you are in range. Not to mention with the AR that is now a formidable weapon, unlike it was in the original trilogy, it's my opinion that superior skill with precision weapons is rewarded less in this game.
Seven save you friends
I like your response waaaaay too much lmao.
All I can do with the time I've got left is bring a little goodness into the world. That's all any of us can do, init?
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Actually I was very against the release of Halo 4. I felt that the story of Master Chief was told and they should leave it be. But they have gone forward and continued to expand the universe. The Halo franchise is more than just the gameplay, it is also the universe and the story.

As to the last comment, I love me some Halo 1. I have fond memories and stories from playing that campaign and the crazy things I did to survive it. The fact of the matter is that you are resisting a forward motion simply to stay rooted in the past. What has that ever solved?
I really don't think sprint by itself would be a big deal. I think the balanced guns along with sprint is what really makes Halo 5 play completely different from the original trilogy.

In the original trilogy, a lot of emphasis was put on your utility. If you were skilled with your utility, it didn't matter what gun your opponent had (unless it was one of the power weapons), you could have a chance to win the firefight. In Halo 5, with every gun having it's own niche, it becomes more of a game of equipping yourself with the best loadout, rather than getting really good with aiming your utility. It completely changes what is rewarded in terms of skill. Instead of one teammate grabbing a power weapon and the rest holding a strong position on the map, it has become a race to the SMG or Storm Rifles (just using these as examples to help make my point) because they are the easiest to use, as long as you are in range. Not to mention with the AR that is now a formidable weapon, unlike it was in the original trilogy, it's my opinion that superior skill with precision weapons is rewarded less in this game.
Seven save you friends
I like your response waaaaay too much lmao.
All I can do with the time I've got left is bring a little goodness into the world. That's all any of us can do, init?
<3<3<3<3 LMAO
Sprint is by far the worst thing that ever happened to Halo.
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
no sprint is awesome and with the balance of not regaining sheilds it is awesome
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
You obviously don't even have a grasp of the most basic effects sprint has.

Why are you even in a discussion thread about something you know nothing about?
What's funny is that you say that the Spartan Abilities will be more skillful to use if you take away sprint, yet you make an easier target for a ground pound without sprint.
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
Not really the same thing. Back then, the mechanics were just the basics: running, jumping, shooting, melee. Can't really have a shooter without those and there's not really a replacement for any of them. It was how they were implemented in Halo that made them different. Halo had a faster player speed IIRC, a floaty jump (as opposed to the heaviness of other games) and the rechargable shields, as you said. Other games didn't copy those things because they wouldn't have worked with the type of games they were. Even when CoD transitioned to MW it didn't decide to add rechargable shields or copy any other mechanic Halo had, it added mechanics and adjusted the gameplay in a way that worked with the type of game it was at its core. That's why it doesn't make sense for Halo to look at what works for other games, because Halo has never been like other games, just like CoD was never like Halo.
Requistion wrote:
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
You obviously don't even have a grasp of the most basic effects sprint has.

Why are you even in a discussion thread about something you know nothing about?
Because I've wished Halo had sprint from the start. And to upset purists like yourself :-)
evoelmo123 wrote:
What's funny is that you say that the Spartan Abilities will be more skillful to use if you take away sprint, yet you make an easier target for a ground pound without sprint.
Not if you can move quickly in all directions.
Requistion wrote:
Willko wrote:
Willko wrote:
I believe that sprint is necessary for Halo. Yes the original Halos did not have sprint, but in today's games sprint is necessary. Imagine doing warzone with no sprint. It would take an eternity to cross the map. In campaign when I go back and play Halo 1 through 3 it feels slow paced now to an almost unbearable amount. Also new players who are entering into the franchise would not be entertained by the slower game play that no sprint offers.
I actually made it a point to play my first Warzone match without sprinting once. It worked just fine, even with Halo 5's gimped base movement speed. If new players to the franchise can't handle moving a little slower(like in the gameplay Halo was built on), then Halo just isn't the franchise for them. That's ok though. Not everyone is going to be a Halo fan. But, we shouldn't be turning away long time fans of the franchise in hopes of maybe pleasing some newcomers. That has been the strategy for over half a decade now, and the population shows that it isn't working. Trying to change and overhaul a working formula is not the way to continue a franchise.
And yet if it does not evolve then it will become stagnant and die. Just because the ability to code a sprint feature was not a thing or available in the past means we should ignore it now? Human beings can run, so why can we not run in games? If this was a platformer or adventure game you would do it with how fast you move the joystick.
Yes. Because sprint wasn't in the old Halo games for whatever reason, we should ignore it now.

Everyone acts like continuing the Halo franchise is inherently some good thing that should be done no matter the cost. But, if we have to give up Halo's soul just to get more Halo games, then what's the point?

If Halo stayed the same, and you deemed it too "stagnant", and you lost interest in it, then that's fine. You will have lost interest in the Halo franchise. But at this point you sound like you've already lost interest in Halo. You're only interested in this Halo/modern-shooter hybrid thing that Halo has been turned into.
Back in the day Halo had the same mechanics as the other fps games of its time. What made Halo different was rechargeable shields and way cooler weapons and vehicles than the other games.
This is very true. And if something as minor as sprint has made you lose interest in Halo (and that's fine), maybe Halo isn't for you anymore. Time to move on.
Sprint..minor?

lol what?

Sprint effects the game at the most fundamental level.
Ugh stop being so dramatic. All you anti-sprinters just don't like it because of weapon lowering. Don't like sprint, simply don't sprint.
Please tell me, in a way that doesn't make me laugh, how that would work if I wanted to get to a particular place or weapon on a map before someone else...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 840