Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

There is a trick with the sniper rifle. What is it

OP iDPO

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
A lot of it is practice, people that can shoot like that have been doing it and have gotten to know when they scrape that reticle across your helmet they pull the trigger. It helps that if you shoot while strafing across their head that chances of actually hitting them increase ( another story on why that is) but the other big factor is sensitivity. It can't me too high or too low and it completely depends on the individual. Find a good place for you and just start practicing.
Ahhh....Nornfang.
How I luvs your one shot! Double snap shot on a warthog driver and passenger. Gotta love WZ!
A lot of it is placing the reticle where ther head is going to be before they get there.
1v1 with a buddy in customs is a great way to practice. Campaign is another great way. Also understanding the height of your opponents on screen helps with those quick around corner head shots. So, basically, practice practice practice. You just need to feel comfortable with it and practicing with it is the only way to achieve that. Good luck and happy holidays
Practice practice practice....a good a to do this is throw grenades and shoot them out of the air.
I cant speak for halo 5 cuz I haven't used the sniper enough, but in 4 it was basically like playing swat and I'd generally keep it at head height.

That way, when you come across someone, you only need to adjust the reticle left and right.

And strafe with it. If I can, I try not to use the right thumbstick too much when going for the shot.
This might be the easiest Sniper to use in all of Halo... if not, it's close with Halo 2's. No-scoping isn't too difficult with it either when you're warmed up and playing well.

Actually now that I think about it, it's easier than Halo 2... lol
iDPO wrote:
Sniper rifle- I'm talking about the really long gun used specifically for sniping. Not any gun with a scope. I feel like it is luck to put the tiny aiming reticle perfectly on anyone's head regardless whether you're zoomed in or not. Some people get what seems two or three quick kills right in a row with the sniper gun. Or I will just turn the corner and bam got hit, only to respawn somewhere else and bam got hit again by the same dude. But if I pick up that gun up I can't even hit their moving torso unless they're standing still for a moment. Is there a trick to it? Is there a snap trick or something? How do you do it.
Try to keep your reticle at head level and never try to no scope try to "quick scope" it sound rediculouse but unless they hav changed something no scoping with a sniper in halo doesnt have auto aim assist but when you zoom in it does the only problem with halo 5 and "quick scoping" is in older halos when you held the zoom in stick or whatever button you used when you let go it zoomed you out and in halo 5 it doesnt also try to be a bit agressive with the sniper it is a tool to gain map control you arent Chris Kyle i would be more than happy to hop in a custom with you and help you practice if you want mt GT is "NDG Litt1es"
Sniping doesn't take skill .... hide in a corner while everyone plays the game and take cheap shots where's the skill?

Yes I've completed the sniper challenge but I never rushed to grab the rifle and I would never stay in one place after I got two kills, that way I gave them a sporting chance to get me.

If your after a tip pick a spot where players run across a lot zoom to get your aim the camp out a while .... Sad but that will get you a kill
Snipers weakness is while zoomed they have no radar get close and bash them at close range or assassinate them ( I stamp of their heads :D )
Andy ARDK wrote:
Sniping doesn't take skill .... hide in a corner while everyone plays the game and take cheap shots where's the skill?

Yes I've completed the sniper challenge but I never rushed to grab the rifle and I would never stay in one place after I got two kills, that way I gave them a sporting chance to get me.

If your after a tip pick a spot where players run across a lot zoom to get your aim the camp out a while .... Sad but that will get you a kill
Snipers weakness is while zoomed they have no radar get close and bash them at close range or assassinate them ( I stamp of their heads :D )
Nornfang Baby!
People have been sniping in Halo for years, so people are good with it & have had tons of practice. Plus, I'd say with the Dedicated Servers the hitbox is the biggest ever for the Sniper in Halo 5 or the most consistent hitting. If I were you, I'd try to get good at Snapshotting (no-scoping) when they are medium range or closer. If you can't hit them in the head immediately, practice no-scoping their center body mass twice in a row fast. Then always zoom in when they are just past medium range or further.
iDPO wrote:
Sniper rifle- I'm talking about the really long gun used specifically for sniping. Not any gun with a scope. I feel like it is luck to put the tiny aiming reticle perfectly on anyone's head regardless whether you're zoomed in or not. Some people get what seems two or three quick kills right in a row with the sniper gun. Or I will just turn the corner and bam got hit, only to respawn somewhere else and bam got hit again by the same dude. But if I pick up that gun up I can't even hit their moving torso unless they're standing still for a moment. Is there a trick to it? Is there a snap trick or something? How do you do it.
I don't feel entirely qualified to answer this, but my guess is maybe people are using strafe to line up the shots? I find I have a lot more precision if I use strafe in tandem with aiming, or sometimes just strafe alone.
Nothing like a game of snipers where you only go for snapshots to get you warmed up for some SWAT
Its mostly reaction times, having a feel for the weapon that you develop in time, patience (MOST IMPORTANT. Let the opponent do the aiming for you, just keep your aim steady and let them move themselves into the bullet. Don't remain still of course, strafe around, but don't try to make rapid movements in the hopes of hitting the head because most of the time you'll just start choking.) and a bit of luck.

Keep your aim around headheight and move it horizontally, don't try to move vertically unless you absolutely have to. Then, while strafing just keep your eyes on the target and don't panic; Wait for it to line up and, if you have good enough reaction times and have predicted when its going to line up properly, bang headshot, guy goes down. Let the movement do the aiming for the most part, its easier.
As I said, the most important thing is not to panic. This is pretty much the universal rule in Halo, if you panic you'll choke more. Just remain calm but try to have a backup plan in mind for where you can get away to if you miss the shot. If your positioning is right, you'll usually know where it is without thinking too much, letting you focus on the target. And don't over think it either. Just be confident that you can get this headshot; If you overthink it, you'll doubt you can make the shot and when you doubt yourself you're more likely to panic. Panic can cause you to jump your aim around desperately. This is going to make it a lot less likely that you're going to get the skill..

If you are at really, really close range, just charge him and shoot and melee in rapid succession while looking at him. It's an easy kill; Snipe will knock out his shields, melee will knock out his health. Remember that you don't need the headshot; If you can only afford to get the body shot, maybe because you are going to have to be quick because you're already weak, then just take that, switch to your secondary and cap them with that. Like all things in Halo, practice is key; Maybe try customs with friends using snipers for a bit to get a feel for it if you're really struggling. The hardest step is getting to the point where you are able to do it fairly reliably; Once you can do it pretty regularly, you'll develop the confidence you need to stay disciplined. Its kind of a catch 22; You need to pull off the snapshots to have the confidence, you need the confidence to pull off the snapshots. That's what makes it so difficult for people just picking it up. Slowly but surely, you'll build up what you need to do it.
Dont listen to these people, before you learn to snipe you need to learn the maps and look at your team moving around the map to anticipate enemy targets.
If you do not want to get flanked you need to also move up with your team because the people you just killed will most likely spawn on your side.
Once you learn maps and spawns you will be zooming in before enemies come around the corner ready to pull the trigger.
I can't really explain it... When I get hot with the sniper I just get hot...

I usually miss my first or second shot entirely to get a feel for it, then it's pure annihilation for anyone that comes into my line of sight after that. I can tell you however, that it has very similar aim assist to the Magnum at long Range. Practice being proficient at long range kills in swatnums and it usually carries over to the Sniper.
There's this awesome trick. You put the reticule on an enemies head, pull the trigger and the sucker dies. Works every time.
benteddy wrote:
Its mostly reaction times, having a feel for the weapon that you develop in time, patience (MOST IMPORTANT. Let the opponent do the aiming for you, just keep your aim steady and let them move themselves into the bullet. Don't remain still of course, strafe around, but don't try to make rapid movements in the hopes of hitting the head because most of the time you'll just start choking.) and a bit of luck.

Keep your aim around headheight and move it horizontally, don't try to move vertically unless you absolutely have to. Then, while strafing just keep your eyes on the target and don't panic; Wait for it to line up and, if you have good enough reaction times and have predicted when its going to line up properly, bang headshot, guy goes down. Let the movement do the aiming for the most part, its easier.
As I said, the most important thing is not to panic. This is pretty much the universal rule in Halo, if you panic you'll choke more. Just remain calm but try to have a backup plan in mind for where you can get away to if you miss the shot. If your positioning is right, you'll usually know where it is without thinking too much, letting you focus on the target. And don't over think it either. Just be confident that you can get this headshot; If you overthink it, you'll doubt you can make the shot and when you doubt yourself you're more likely to panic. Panic can cause you to jump your aim around desperately. This is going to make it a lot less likely that you're going to get the skill..

If you are at really, really close range, just charge him and shoot and melee in rapid succession while looking at him. It's an easy kill; Snipe will knock out his shields, melee will knock out his health. Remember that you don't need the headshot; If you can only afford to get the body shot, maybe because you are going to have to be quick because you're already weak, then just take that, switch to your secondary and cap them with that. Like all things in Halo, practice is key; Maybe try customs with friends using snipers for a bit to get a feel for it if you're really struggling. The hardest step is getting to the point where you are able to do it fairly reliably; Once you can do it pretty regularly, you'll develop the confidence you need to stay disciplined. Its kind of a catch 22; You need to pull off the snapshots to have the confidence, you need the confidence to pull off the snapshots. That's what makes it so difficult for people just picking it up. Slowly but surely, you'll build up what you need to do it.
Thanks for the tips !
For some reason I need to go down 1 notch in the sensitivity when I snipe. It's a pain changing the settings in the middle of a game so I don't snipe much.
Just takes practice (a lot) is like every other thing that is skill related but added to that, engaging enemies at close range without zooming in helps to get used to sniper rifle handling under pressure and be calm all the time raging doesn't help at all
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3