Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

This community is condemning Halo 5 too early

OP The Kishinev

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
All I see when I check the forums nowadays is sprint hate. Is sprint the only real problem with Halo 5? Does sprint completely break Halo? You can say it's bad for Halo and honestly there is some truth to it. But does it just shatter the whole game into pieces?

Now I'm no sprint lover but 343 has thrown you guys quite the bone here and you don't seem to know when you've won. Because of your feedback, sprint has been nerfed. It can be cancelled by getting shot just as you start sprinting and your shields don't recharge while sprinting (which creates very intense gameplay moments). In addition, they also made base movement speed faster and lowered sprint speed, yet another nerf to sprint.

Look how far 343 is willing to go to show they care about your concerns. If they didn't care at all, like many of you say, then sprint wouldn't have been nerfed at all. They were willing to compromise to keep you happy.

Halo is a bigger experience than just Arena Slayer. It might be the core of it's multiplayer but it's not the whole picture. Sprint still has a place in BTB and the Campaign. Halo is a huge picture and all of it's pieces need to work in all areas of the game. It doesn't need to be a perfect arena shooter. It doesn't need to be a perfect large scale warfare game. It doesn't need to be a perfect single player experience.

It just has to be very good at all those things while staying consistent across the board.

What that means is Halo 5 can't just be this huge mess where you can only sprint and use SA's in the campaign and BTB. A game's mechanics can't be all over the place.

For this reason, I don't think judging Halo 5 right now is really fair because we have yet to see the full picture. This wasn't meant to be a perfect arena shooter. If I wanted that I would play UT2004. But would I ever consider playing any of the large scale warfare modes in UT2004?? Hell no! If I wanted to play large scale warfare I would play Battlefield, but then again, I sure as hell wouldn't play Battlefield for anything else but it's large sale warfare.

Halo is not catered completely to any one side. It does very well at all things. That's why I will keep playing Halo and not the game that completely caters to one end of the spectrum and completely ignores all other sides. Halo has damn good variety and it's a game series that you can really live in. Whether it be story, multiplayer or even machinimas, there is a place for you in Halo.

TLDR: You haven't seen the complete offering of Halo 5 yet and you shouldn't write the game off just because the mechanics aren't absolutely flawless for one side of the game.

I've got my flame suit on
agreed..ppl are forgetting halo has many facets, beside the arena
Well this has been said from the beginning OP. Some people just don't care about any other part of the game and think devs owe them the world. It seems as if the game should be served on a silver platter to those individuals for their perfect playstyle.
there hasn't been a Halo game that you had the necessity to do the same missions over multiple times to advance and many people give destiny credit for being a solid game. I thought the beta was really good for the amount of time left to launch, and I'm thankful that I finish my masters program in May. I am excited to see where the campaign takes this installment and I have every confidence that the MP portion will be fairly solid as well
The problem is sprint and abilities complety break bungies halo. That I can agree with it would not work. Because of how halo 4 went with loadouts,sprint, ordinance etc it dint get taken well. So now it's like we halo golden trilogy and we just don't have a "good" 343 halo yet or that's how a lot ppl see it. 343 could make halo five an amazing halo with there vision of it. It could be balanced the maps could be the perfect size for the way game is suppose to be played, and ppl would still condem it " the maps are still so big conpared to 2 and 3)

i really beleive halo 5 will be the best non bungie halo matter the best halo after 3. Reach wass made by bungie but let's be honest if that game wasn't the biggest slap in the face to the fanbase idkk what is. If 343 made it it would had still been a -Yoink- game but my reaction would have been " oh this is where they wanna take halo?? Yikes how about no. But instead my reaction was " this is you're last halo game before you leave the series why the hell are you changing the formula now. Then when I saw destiny I knew they were testing features for their new game which pissed me off even more)
People would condemn Halo 5 no matter what. It's a fairly consistent cycle.

Since I started really observing the halo community in the halo 3 days, I come to realize the general rule is that there is always something they will complain about.

Halo 3: AR vs BR forums wars, projectiles, bullet spread, and how the game was supposedly unplayable with any lag.

Halo Reach: Armor Abilities and Loadouts were apparently an attempt to copy CODs custom classes and perks. Bloom equals all combat being entirely random somehow.

Halo 4: Same as Reach with AAs and Loadouts. Ordinance apparently the same as killstreaks.

And what Im seeing so far that Halo 5 is going to be...

Halo 5: AR vs BR forum wars reignite, Spartan abilities apparently are all copied from COD, and Smart Scope somehow equals ADS.
Numbers don't lie quit hiding from the facts lil jimmy.
Don't forget the MCC launch as well. It's perfectly reasonable to see why people would be like this after that game.
A lot of people like it, but expecting them to be here might be a bit much.
ZoomGears99, there is nothing wrong with Sprint. There is a major problem in Halo with Running With Guns Down. You seem to think that Sprint must be Running With Guns Down. But it doesn't. 343 has made you think so because its become inspired by the trendiest of trendy console shooters and wants Halo to play in a fairly generic manner.

ADS animations and Running With Guns Down violate core arena principles that Halo's foundation was built on. 343 is turning Halo into a generic console shooter. This isn't about personal preference. If I want to ADS and have Running With Guns Down then I will play a game like Battlefield. There is nothing wrong with that and those mechanisms fit much better in games like Titanfall, BF, COD, etc. But these specific mechanisms don't belong in Halo.

Its just really sad to see Halo become irrelevant in FPS circles. And I mean in general gaming circles. It was always a game that made PC gamers and non-XBox gamers pay attention, even if only for a little while to check it out. But now? No more. Halo will only be relevant for people who love the lore and people who only own an XBox already.
"This community" seems way too generous in the numbers for your thought. While I do indeed see "I don't like" threads appearing more often than "I like" threads, I see the "I don't like"s being Flooded with "But I like it!" responses.

I would even go so far as to say I have noticed a trend of many dislikers of previous Halos liking what H5 offers.

What I would say I've noticed relative yours, is that those that are very conservative in their Halo views still have not changed their positions. But I assure you, it's not enough to blanket the entire community under a single cloth... It would have to be a patch-quilt if it were to be a single blanket.
If sprint were gone, people would just find something else to complain about. No one will ever be satisfied with a modern Halo.

Look at H2A. When they revealed it had no sprint and equal starts, the fans went on to complain about small things like weapon indicators and grenade hit markers, calling it "Halo 4.5".

Halo's skill gap has to be the most exaggerated thing in existence. Especially on these forums.

Since I started really observing the halo community in the halo 3 days, I come to realize the general rule is that there is always something they will complain about.

Halo 3: AR vs BR forums wars, projectiles, bullet spread, and how the game was supposedly unplayable with any lag.

Halo Reach: Armor Abilities and Loadouts were apparently an attempt to copy CODs custom classes and perks. Bloom equals all combat being entirely random somehow.

Halo 4: Same as Reach with AAs and Loadouts. Ordinance apparently the same as killstreaks.

Halo 5: AR vs BR forum wars reignite, Spartan abilities apparently are all copied from COD, and Smart Scope somehow equals ADS.
halo 3: as a person from new zealand, trust me laggy halo 3 was not fun and the BR spread was random, it made an already slow game much slower.

halo reach: they were a copy (hence why it wasn't a thought out implementation) + AA's were incredibly broken...a jetpack that could ascend like 6 stories, 5 second invincibility which just made the game irritating and people sprinting away and not being able to do much because...BLOOM made projectiles random making killtimes slow. slow killtimes + an easy way to escape makes engagements into a very stale cat and mouse.

there's a reason why they have not returned (it's because there was the realization it was trash)

halo 4: ordinance was random and unfair (hence not returning), custom loadouts offered too much advantage off spawn and ruined vehicle gameplay and made camping more tedious. yet again...why are the halo 4 "additions" not returning (it's because they sucked) i don't see infinity settings anywhere in sight (because they were just a gimmick and had no intrinsic value on how the game is played)

halo 5: why has the post-game animation been notched down? why did they nerf sprint? why is there changes to the new smartscope regarding automatics? why is ground pound altered to not interfere with crouch?

the people who are "conservative" or "anti-sprint" whatever label they are given aren't complaining for the sake of complaining (the ones who don't address anything in particular are) there is a reason for our criticism and distaste...hence why most of these changes which are marketed as "innovation" or "revolution" each release are scrapped by the next release...because they don't offer anything impacting to the game and are simply a cash-in on the flavor of the month mechanics.
In my opinion, Sprint really does shatter Halo's gameplay to pieces. There isn't one redeeming quality, but there are many negatives:
-Bloated Maps
-Having to press an extra button
-Taking away your ability to shoot
-Ruining map control because sprinters can just sprint right in
-Easy escape from bad positioning
-Cat and mouse
-Loss of identity/copy of other games
-Running into people by chance and having to wait for your gun to re-engage while the opponent gets a shot or two off first
-Creates a 'run there first, shoot later' mentality, as opposed to always scanning the map as you traverse

It just...needs to go. So badly.
The game has sprint. Really what else is there to condemn?
Unless sprint is removed I'm not buying the game, period.

halo 3: as a person from new zealand, trust me laggy halo 3 was not fun and the BR spread was random, it made an already slow game much slower.

halo reach: they were a copy (hence why it wasn't a thought out implementation) + AA's were incredibly broken...a jetpack that could ascend like 6 stories, 5 second invincibility which just made the game irritating and people sprinting away and not being able to do much because...BLOOM made projectiles random making killtimes slow. slow killtimes + an easy way to escape makes engagements into a very stale cat and mouse.

there's a reason why they have not returned (it's because there was the realization it was trash)

halo 4: ordinance was random and unfair (hence not returning), custom loadouts offered too much advantage off spawn and ruined vehicle gameplay and made camping more tedious. yet again...why are the halo 4 "additions" not returning (it's because they sucked) i don't see infinity settings anywhere in sight (because they were just a gimmick and had no intrinsic value on how the game is played)

halo 5: why has the post-game animation been notched down? why did they nerf sprint? why is there changes to the new smartscope regarding automatics? why is ground pound altered to not interfere with crouch?

the people who are "conservative" or "anti-sprint" whatever label they are given aren't complaining for the sake of complaining (the ones who don't address anything in particular are) there is a reason for our criticism and distaste...hence why most of these changes which are marketed as "innovation" or "revolution" each release are scrapped by the next release...because they don't offer anything impacting to the game and are simply a cash-in on the flavor of the month mechanics.
Good post, man.
343 should've said 'pfft, we don't need all that junk from other games. Here's a game with legit mechanics. A game with integrity. A game you'll play for 3 years.'

This post has been hidden.

If sprint were gone, people would just find something else to complain about. No one will ever be satisfied with a modern Halo.

Look at H2A. When they revealed it had no sprint and equal starts, the fans went on to complain about small things like weapon indicators and grenade hit markers, calling it "Halo 4.5".

Halo's skill gap has to be the most exaggerated thing in existence. Especially on these forums.
Ain't that the truth
Erik L wrote:
In my opinion, Sprint really does shatter Halo's gameplay to pieces. There isn't one redeeming quality, but there are many negatives:
-Bloated Maps
-Having to press an extra button
-Taking away your ability to shoot
-Ruining map control because sprinters can just sprint right in
-Easy escape from bad positioning
-Cat and mouse
-Loss of identity/copy of other games
-Running into people by chance and having to wait for your gun to re-engage while the opponent gets a shot or two off first
-Creates a 'run there first, shoot later' mentality, as opposed to always scanning the map as you traverse

It just...needs to go. So badly.

-Bloated Maps Not true proven countless times in both how encounter happen on the map and the fact that ninja proved it could still be played without sprint
-Having to press an extra button ? really
-Taking away your ability to shoot You mean like using equipment, using grenades, Or like a vehicle using boost Compared to firing? it the same mechanic One being applied to a vehicle and one with the player.
-Ruining map control because sprinters can just sprint right in And get killed Halo 5 took team work and proper tactics to accurately gain map control.
-Easy escape from bad positioning This is totally dependent on player, If you're good, working as a team, and have proper positioning there should be no issue
-Cat and mouse Same as above, And can be said for any previous halos
-Loss of identity/copy of other games There is no loss of Identity Even some of the top Pros have said that HAlo 5 feels like halo, Marginally compared to halo 4. Copy is subjective
-Running into people by chance and having to wait for your gun to re-engage while the opponent gets a shot or two off first This is just being a bad player if you just run into some one, then that is your fault you were not using the map to your advantage, you weren't working as a team and you just plain put yourself into a bad position -Creates a 'run there first, shoot later' mentality, as opposed to always scanning the map as you traverse I would Argue the exact opposite especially with with the sprint mechanic and the way halo feel its much more competitive then halo 4, It promotes team work much more.

Because obviously the sum of all the small niggling flaws negatively affects a title as a whole - which is why fans will complain.

They'll be satisfied when Halo is no longer bloated with "features" (read: gimmicks) that aren't needed (such as grenade indicators).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2