Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Thoughts on Angry Joe Review

OP junaid642

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. ...
  9. 22
Idk why people say it relies to much on the books the quite spartan twos didn't sit down and explain there life story. Um people did master chief ever do that to you. No it took a couple games before u ever understood what makes him awesome. It's the mystery that makes it interesting. Gets you more involved.
I watched about 5-10 minutes of it because I don't want anyone's opinion to influence mine, but how in the hell did he not know the game was not-split screen? As a top tier game reviewer I expect him to at least be knowledgeable about the games he reviews. It's not like this information was tucked away until the day of release and kept on he hush hush. We've known about this for months and every game media outlet has covered it. For him to invite other Joe over and appear to be baffled seems unfair and just ignorant. Maybe I missed something but I found that to be in bad taste.
He was bang on with his review imo
He in my opinion was right about everything, but I personally think that it's 7.9-10 rather then 6/10. Probably 8-9/10 when the other features launch.
Jestzer wrote:
Joe has some pretty good points. It's too bad a large number of people here are completely dismissing him and the fair points he is making.
His biggest complaint (The REQ system) was poorly reviewed. Not only were his calculations wrong but he over exgurated when talking about the system.
Hawkner117 wrote:
Personally, I felt he attacked things that weren't really much other than the splitscreen issue. He also is commonly seen looking at developers as greedy demonic powers only focused on money in development, and will do whatever to milk money. Now REQ packs are purchasable, you can really get 'em easily if you put some time in and get gear better than CoD:AW. Splitscreen can also be hindered with the way 343 stated the 60fps deal. If you have an intense firefight on 4 panels on a single TV all at a forced 60fps, your quality will decrease, so that's probably a better way of thinking about it. I really feel Joe doesn't think much from the dev's POV other than $$$. His content is really moreover entertainment than a solid review imo.
The absence of splitscreen is simply unacceptable.
Absurd. Splitscreen was cute back in 2004 but it is 2015 and co-op works exceptionally well. Ridiculous reason to knock points off a game score rating. Splitscreen would have been a joke. It is a dead feature and would have been a waste of time and resources to implement.
Personally I thought the Angry Joe interview was spot on in a few places. I've always enjoyed his angry reviews because he tells it how it is, however I was annoyed that Master Chief only got 3 campaign missions out of the lot! I feel that if the missions were distributed evenly so x number of missions each it wouldn't have been a problem.

Side note I personally enjoyed Mike Colters rendition of Locke as he felt more 'human' but Ike Amadi just doesn't have the same effect as colter does which is quite sad if I'm honest.
I feel like Wall Street in 2008. The Marketing campaign was amazing, the beta took my breath away and the anticipation had we outside Gamestop 3 hours before 12:00. Luckily after MCC I anticipated a 5 hour download and was pleasantly surprised when it only took 2 :P

In the days before the release my long time friend that I played Halo with and I speculated what theories were possible only to be left thinking "...What am I supposed to feel"

There are people saying "Well if you read the books" I buy the game to be immersed in the story, yes some blindspots left to the imagination or the "Extended Universe" but the Campaign should have material to leave the player with an understanding of the story.

Marketing campaign was a total bluff, anyone to say ohhhh that was amazing and it led up perfectly is a troll. Chief is not the person to throw the 1st punch, the "Fight scene" where Cheif and Locke punch it out was bogus. Chief knows he is better and would have walked away because he is the Master Cheif.

I still have high hopes...the story line, in my opinion, can not be fixed, hopefully come Halo 6 we will be left with some mystery, but I am not emotionally attached to any of the characters and Cortana in my eyes is gone. There is not Miranda Keys...Sgt Johnson...Guilty Spark, there is no connection. The dialogue is boring and havine done 4 years in the Marines...The light is green...dude come on...The Cheif wouldnt say fallout either...Thats dumb, but I guess Im not in year 25--

Multi player is great and I look forward to it evolving.

Look back at the live action trailers. When Cheif asks "Is this what you wanted, is this what you were looking for"...No it was not
His points about the REQ system were spot on. Why should it take thousands of dollars to unlock everything? And why are there no earnable customization pieces?

The rest is up for debate.
It doesn't cost "thousands of dollars" to unlock everything! There's a thing called PLAYING THE GAME people. You don't HAVE to spend money to get req points for christs sake.
I liked the review. It had some things i did not agree with 100% but for the most part it was accurate.
IamSaoirse wrote:
He nailed the review of this game right on the head. I don't think there is a more honest and sincere review of the game out. Just as Joe said, this game has potential but its not an amazing game with the current issues.

Lets also not even get started on "Hunt the truth" which was a utter and complete lie. We didn't hunt any truth. We did two mission early on pertaining to hunting the truth then the story went off in a completely different direction! The marketing for this game hyped it up way beyond what it actually was.
Yeah I thought there would be way more Master Chief in this version. I still like the game but very disappointed that it was mostly a Spartan Locke game.
Did not agree with it, especially the part about REQs.

Sure, you can buy them. But tell me, would you really pay 2$ to skip a simple 5 matches (without boosters on warzone) to get gold packs FOR WARZONE? I wouldn't! I've been earning my gold packs like a good boy and I've already got sweet pieces of rare armor, not to mention 2 weapon skins.

To cover the most important part- the stuff you use ingame. I find it hardly makes a difference, if this guy has 10 extra cards compared to you, even if they're all higher quality. The energy system makes sure he can't KEEP using them and if you're even a slightly competent player you will take him out, easy. (Citation: Everytime you spawn a rare REQ and you lose it immediately. RIP.)

The part about Locke? I actually ended up liking Locke. He seems like a good guy. I wouldn't suggest he throws around opinionistic (new word?) terms such as no one caring about Locke.

Of course, the loss of splitscreen in a Halo game is HUGE- but I'm not going to go into too much depth because the people I do end up playing with own their own xbox and we play online. Since I don't have that much experience, I'll keep my mouth shut.

I feel like if he just thought about the game itself he'd have fun, rather than having a preset opinion and carrying on with it. Never really liked AJ, seeing as almost all of his so called "reviews" are preset on ONE single thing, which he hates, that causes him to hate the rest of the game. Sometimes it makes sense, most of the time it does not.

Seeing how he totes this one little ruining thing around all of his followers who claim he's always absolutely right (not saying he never is,) would rather not have their own opinion and just go along with the bandwagon.

When I was in 1st grade, we had mealworms for class pets, we each took care of one. People eat mealworms in places of the earth. All of us, the kids, said "ewww!" and immediately labelled it gross. The next week, the teacher brought in a box of fried mealworms which she ate and liked. She was a good person. She taught us one important thing: Don't judge before you try.

If you're just going to listen to Angry Joe with everything he says, not caring for your own opinion, just following him like sheep on a bandwagon, go ahead. You'll never truly experience things the way they were meant to.

I mean, it's IN his name! ANGRY Joe. Of course, this justifies him being Angry- I personally don't actually mind him too much, just the fact that people will so desperately and quickly bandwagon behind him. If I were to choose a reviewer that I'd trust, it wouldn't be him. It'd be Total Biscuit, who comes in with an unbiased attitude which I like, remaining calm and explaining each point while showing GAMEPLAY the entire while, rather than cherrypicking the parts he thought shows the worst and or best, depending on if he liked the game as soon as he saw the cover or not. Sure, he's the CYNICAL brit but he explains everything and does a far greater job than Angry Joe.

I just wish people would stop following in the foot steps of others just because everyone else is. No one great is great because they're the same. Be different. Think for yourself.

I personally am really enjoying Halo 5, as are many other people, who are too busy playing the game and hence too busy to come and bother about it here! I think Halo 5 is one of the best Halo games since 3, and that's mostly just nostalgia, I guess.

If you look at it, Halo 5 is getting the same hate as Halo 2. It might go down the same route and be the game in which "343 solidified the franchise and redeemed themselves".

343 is just human. They try too. If you really like Bungie, they still make games! Go play Destiny if you'd like. But if you'd rather just play Halo, 343 is what we have now and what we'll make do with. Give them some time. Try helping out by giving constructive feedback, not just rageposts. If you're a real "true halo fan" you'll stay true and help Halo grow to what we want it to be.

343 is still new at this. They might not know what we want. All we have to do is help them along.

EDIT: Should mention I did not watch the full review. However, reading comments and what people have posted here I think I have gotten the gist of what he said.
Absolutely amazing opinions man
Go to the bottom for a summary of everything written below if you don't want to read everything.

Regarding Split Screen:

Joe's Quote: "One of the Core Tenants of the Halo Franchise, now ripped out, with no warning...to force you to buy two copies of the game and a second Xbox One."
REALITY: Well, there actually was a warning for everyone as I can find articles dated back to July and August that say Halo 5: Guardians will NOT have Split Screen. 343i decided to take it out for the sake of 1080p and 60 Frames per Second. So the claim that there was no warning is obviously false and shows the ignorance of the reviewer here in researching before the review. Onto the claim that he makes about the article he uses with Phil Spencer: I actually have the original article where Spencer talked about Split Screen multiplayer and the full interview transcript here; in the interview, Spencer's response was that of pragmatism. He told the interviewer that most multiplayer and Co-Op action happens through Xbox LIVE. Now, for someone like Joe, who doesn't usually play on the Xbox to come out and call Spencer out for PR BS is makes zero sense and is atrocious.

Regarding Campaign:

Joe's Quote: "We beat the game in 4 hours and 30 minutes...on normal..." "...your campaign is going to be closer to 3 hours, you know, repeating levels and getting killed..."

REALITY: For me and probably many other people, on Co-Op the game takes way longer than 7 hours on Legendary. I had a full team of friends who wanted to play Co-Op together on Legendary and it took us roughly 11 and a half hours to complete the game. Also, the game wasn't meant to just rush right through the campaign, if I could quote some people at 343i I cou-- oh wait, I can, here is a link of Frank O'Connor talking about Halo 5's campaign length. In the article he discusses with the interviewer that the campaign is largely influenced by the player and he continues on by saying that players are getting better at the games and that's also why it take shorter periods of time to complete the game. Including the fact that later on the average campaign length was reported to be at least 9-13 hours long and that didn't include finding Intel or Skulls. What he does with the Grunts in the video is exactly what we are suppose to do in the campaign as there are plenty of tidbits from every NPC that talks about the lore or just has a funny moment of dialogue. He bashes the game for not having a long enough campaign but didn't play it the way it was meant to be played, but everyone can play the campaign however the like and I don't think Camapign Length tells as much about the story.

Regarding Story:

Joe's Quote: "[Halo 5's] campaign is mediocre at best with a cliffhanger, ball-busting of ending that never earns it..." ..."Halo 5 isn't very new player friendly, if you're brand new to the franchise...you'll be somewhat lost as to who the hell some of the these characters are and why they're missing arms and their current conditions, okay." "...unfortunately, it wasn't half and half, it's pretty much 85% Locke and his Osiris team and just three missions as Chief, THREE OUT OF FIFTEEN!"

REALITY: On the topic of the cliffhanger-ending, it wasn't so much as a cliffhanger as people make it out to be. A cliffhanger is like that of Halo 2 where Chief responds to Lord Hood "Sir, finishing this fight" and then cuts black (Not that there is a cutscene of Cortana in the Epilogue that is really important to the game currently, but who gives a damn about that, let's -Yoink- about the cliffhanger and not how everything ties together.), but in Halo 5, that wasn't a cliffhanger ending, that was simply closing the page of the game and changing the page to the next game, it's called a transition, but if you want to talk about a cutscene that looks like a cliffhanger, it's the one with the Halo ring in the background after you complete Halo 5 on Legendary; there were so many questions running through my mind after that cutscene that I didn't ask with Chief and Halsey because that cutscene has dire implications and makes one wonder if *SPOILERS* Cortana is going to activate the Halo ring as it is not known if she still has the first index from Halo: CE. I call that great and subtle story-telling. As for the new players who are just hopping into the game let me give you the information you need for Halo 5: Play the Master Chief Collection ($60) on Easy as it shouldn't take you any more than an 5 hours to complete, then play the Spartan Ops missions or watch the Episodes in Halo 4 Spartan Ops, then go and look up the terminals for every Halo game except Halo 3 on YouTube (FREE), then read up or get a summary on Halo: Escalation and Halo: The Fall of REACH (FREE-$10, also available on the Halo Channel), then listen to Hunt the Truth (FREE), watch Halo: NIGHTFALL (FREE) for Locke's story, and once you do all of that (Should take less than a day) then play Halo 5 as that's what you should know about Halo 5; completing everything shouldn't take more than a day because you can listen to the podcasts while playing Halo and then read up or research some of the lore to grasp the rest. Personally, I love Halo's story and if you like Halo's story I recommend reading into the lore. Regarding the Locke and Chief mission disparity, this is all about personal preference, Chief has some of the longest missions in Halo 5 and has the best cutscenes that are related to the story. Locke has definitely the shortest missions with several (Warden Eternal Battles) being pretty long. As I said, this is about personal preference.

Regarding Marketing:

Let me just say that the Marketing for this game was spot on. Many could argue, justifiably, that ONI was in charge of the ads to smear Chief after they released Hunt the Truth and the A Hero Fall and a Spartan Rises trailers. You just need to connect the dots and think of these as propaganda BECAUSE THEY ARE!

Regarding Requisitions:

I know I've been using his quotes to be able to rebut some of his major complaints but this is where his rant came in. Let me outline where he misses the points with the REQ system:

  • He forgets that you can add boosts that dramatically increase XP and RP.
  • He forgets that once you level up, you have a chance for cosmetics.
  • He forgets that once you fulfill a commendation you can get cosmetics.
  • He forgets that Bronze and Silver have their place in the REQ system as they drop commendations that Gold doesn't.
In summary, I found the review some what unfair to the greatness of the franchise as a whole. The game is amazing and does fall short in some areas and we should recognize those areas, but the areas he ranted on were the areas that I would deem low-priority. Why? it's simple, we need to assess a cost-benefit analysis with every decision and realize and be empathetic even if we don't agree with their moves. Do I think Halo could do better than Halo 5? Of course. Do I want people to enjoy a game they love, the way they want to enjoy it? Of course. As it stands right now, I find Halo 5's rating of a 6/10 not only wrong but a complete slap in the face to the franchise and it's wonderful, meaningful story and amazing multiplayer. I respect Angry Joe's opinion even though I disagree with it wholeheartedly so I hope that people will do the exact same for me even though you may disagree with me.
SKWRLY wrote:
I watched about 5-10 minutes of it because I don't want anyone's opinion to influence mine, but how in the hell did he not know the game was not-split screen? As a top tier game reviewer I expect him to at least be knowledgeable about the games he reviews. It's not like this information was tucked away until the day of release and kept on he hush hush. We've known about this for months and every game media outlet has covered it. For him to invite other Joe over and appear to be baffled seems unfair and just ignorant. Maybe I missed something but I found that to be in bad taste.
Idk why but it feels like they already knew to me...
  1. The Multiplayer is a 9 or 10/10
  2. The Campaign is a 5/10
  3. You can't just rate a game based on the campaign, multiplayer is big to.
  4. No Halo 5 deserves a 7 or 8, Great Graphics, Great Engine, Good Content (not great), and out of this world war zone.
Entr0p1k wrote:
Hawkner117 wrote:
Personally, I felt he attacked things that weren't really much other than the splitscreen issue. He also is commonly seen looking at developers as greedy demonic powers only focused on money in development, and will do whatever to milk money. Now REQ packs are purchasable, you can really get 'em easily if you put some time in and get gear better than CoD:AW. Splitscreen can also be hindered with the way 343 stated the 60fps deal. If you have an intense firefight on 4 panels on a single TV all at a forced 60fps, your quality will decrease, so that's probably a better way of thinking about it. I really feel Joe doesn't think much from the dev's POV other than $$$. His content is really moreover entertainment than a solid review imo.
The absence of splitscreen is simply unacceptable.
Absurd. Splitscreen was cute back in 2004 but it is 2015 and co-op works exceptionally well. Ridiculous reason to knock points off a game score rating. Splitscreen would have been a joke. It is a dead feature and would have been a waste of time and resources to implement.
And what do you base this on?
Because I know that alot of the complaint threads focus on Splitscreen.
I also know there are a lot of players out there pissed that they cant play with their friends or even their family members on the same console.
Oh you and your brother want to play together? F you go buy a second Xbox, second game copy, second TV, second Xboxlive Gold and THEN you can play with that person that lives in the same house with you.

But hey it seems people no longer have friends over at their place or people living with them that may want to play together right?

OF course not that's crazy talk, lets make away with Splitscreen because as quoted by 343 "IT is hard to get people into the same physical space" <-- That IS BS
Personally i find that the game wastoo hyped by the trailers. They dont really apply to the games story at all which was a let down . However i am not saying that the game was bad, i did enjoy the campaign and the multiplayer is great. I am disapointed that forge is not yet out, it does make the game feel rushed and even though a lot of people do not like the micro transactions i dont feell like they give players an unfair advantage and i do like that the money goes towards community tournaments. Overall iam satisfied with the game itself.
I can't watch it now but whatever he said I like it but the campaign (which in the other comments seems to be what he didn't like) is a bit short. It's still a good game tho
I honestly didn't expect him to ever return to halo reviews. Glad he has though. One of my favorite game critics.
Go to the bottom for a summary of everything written below if you don't want to read everything.

Regarding Split Screen:

Joe's Quote: "One of the Core Tenants of the Halo Franchise, now ripped out, with no warning...to force you to buy two copies of the game and a second Xbox One."
REALITY: Well, there actually was a warning for everyone as I can find articles dated back to July and August that say Halo 5: Guardians will NOT have Split Screen. 343i decided to take it out for the sake of 1080p and 60 Frames per Second. So the claim that there was no warning is obviously false and shows the ignorance of the reviewer here in researching before the review. Onto the claim that he makes about the article he uses with Phil Spencer: I actually have the original article where Spencer talked about Split Screen multiplayer and the full interview transcript here; in the interview, Spencer's response was that of pragmatism. He told the interviewer that most multiplayer and Co-Op action happens through Xbox LIVE. Now, for someone like Joe, who doesn't usually play on the Xbox to come out and call Spencer out for PR BS is makes zero sense and is atrocious.

Regarding Campaign:

Joe's Quote: "We beat the game in 4 hours and 30 minutes...on normal..." "...your campaign is going to be closer to 3 hours, you know, repeating levels and getting killed..."

REALITY: For me and probably many other people, on Co-Op the game takes way longer than 7 hours on Legendary. I had a full team of friends who wanted to play Co-Op together on Legendary and it took us roughly 11 and a half hours to complete the game. Also, the game wasn't meant to just rush right through the campaign, if I could quote some people at 343i I cou-- oh wait, I can, here is a link of Frank O'Connor talking about Halo 5's campaign length. In the article he discusses with the interviewer that the campaign is largely influenced by the player and he continues on by saying that players are getting better at the games and that's also why it take shorter periods of time to complete the game. Including the fact that later on the average campaign length was reported to be at least 9-13 hours long and that didn't include finding Intel or Skulls. What he does with the Grunts in the video is exactly what we are suppose to do in the campaign as there are plenty of tidbits from every NPC that talks about the lore or just has a funny moment of dialogue. He bashes the game for not having a long enough campaign but didn't play it the way it was meant to be played, but everyone can play the campaign however the like and I don't think Camapign Length tells as much about the story.

Regarding Story:

Joe's Quote: "[Halo 5's] campaign is mediocre at best with a cliffhanger, ball-busting of ending that never earns it..." ..."Halo 5 isn't very new player friendly, if you're brand new to the franchise...you'll be somewhat lost as to who the hell some of the these characters are and why they're missing arms and their current conditions, okay." "...unfortunately, it wasn't half and half, it's pretty much 85% Locke and his Osiris team and just three missions as Chief, THREE OUT OF FIFTEEN!"

REALITY: On the topic of the cliffhanger-ending, it wasn't so much as a cliffhanger as people make it out to be. A cliffhanger is like that of Halo 2 where Chief responds to Lord Hood "Sir, finishing this fight" and then cuts black (Not that there is a cutscene of Cortana in the Epilogue that is really important to the game currently, but who gives a damn about that, let's -Yoink- about the cliffhanger and not how everything ties together.), but in Halo 5, that wasn't a cliffhanger ending, that was simply closing the page of the game and changing the page to the next game, it's called a transition, but if you want to talk about a cutscene that looks like a cliffhanger, it's the one with the Halo ring in the background after you complete Halo 5 on Legendary; there were so many questions running through my mind after that cutscene that I didn't ask with Chief and Halsey because that cutscene has dire implications and makes one wonder if *SPOILERS* Cortana is going to activate the Halo ring as it is not known if she still has the first index from Halo: CE. I call that great and subtle story-telling. As for the new players who are just hopping into the game let me give you the information you need for Halo 5: Play the Master Chief Collection ($60) on Easy as it shouldn't take you any more than an 5 hours to complete, then play the Spartan Ops missions or watch the Episodes in Halo 4 Spartan Ops, then go and look up the terminals for every Halo game except Halo 3 on YouTube (FREE), then read up or get a summary on Halo: Escalation and Halo: The Fall of REACH (FREE-$10, also available on the Halo Channel), then listen to Hunt the Truth (FREE), watch Halo: NIGHTFALL (FREE) for Locke's story, and once you do all of that (Should take less than a day) then play Halo 5 as that's what you should know about Halo 5; completing everything shouldn't take more than a day because you can listen to the podcasts while playing Halo and then read up or research some of the lore to grasp the rest. Personally, I love Halo's story and if you like Halo's story I recommend reading into the lore. Regarding the Locke and Chief mission disparity, this is all about personal preference, Chief has some of the longest missions in Halo 5 and has the best cutscenes that are related to the story. Locke has definitely the shortest missions with several (Warden Eternal Battles) being pretty long. As I said, this is about personal preference.

Regarding Marketing:

Let me just say that the Marketing for this game was spot on. Many could argue, justifiably, that ONI was in charge of the ads to smear Chief after they released Hunt the Truth and the A Hero Fall and a Spartan Rises trailers. You just need to connect the dots and think of these as propaganda BECAUSE THEY ARE!

Regarding Requisitions:

I know I've been using his quotes to be able to rebut some of his major complaints but this is where his rant came in. Let me outline where he misses the points with the REQ system:

  • He forgets that you can add boosts that dramatically increase XP and RP.
  • He forgets that once you level up, you have a chance for cosmetics.
  • He forgets that once you fulfill a commendation you can get cosmetics.
  • He forgets that Bronze and Silver have their place in the REQ system as they drop commendations that Gold doesn't.
In summary, I found the review some what unfair to the greatness of the franchise as a whole. The game is amazing and does fall short in some areas and we should recognize those areas, but the areas he ranted on were the areas that I would deem low-priority. Why? it's simple, we need to assess a cost-benefit analysis with every decision and realize and be empathetic even if we don't agree with their moves. Do I think Halo could do better than Halo 5? Of course. Do I want people to enjoy a game they love, the way they want to enjoy it? Of course. As it stands right now, I find Halo 5's rating of a 6/10 not only wrong but a complete slap in the face to the franchise and it's wonderful, meaningful story and amazing multiplayer. I respect Angry Joe's opinion even though I disagree with it wholeheartedly so I hope that people will do the exact same for me even though you may disagree with me.
*cries tear of joy over an actual intelligent post* Well said.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 14
  4. 15
  5. 16
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. ...
  9. 22