Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Thruster packs and lock on

OP Superspartan513

So I've noticed sometimes players can negate my lock on by using their thruster pack, but when I try I still get hit by hydra and rockets that have locked on to me. Can anyone explain this to me? And please don't just say it's lag, I'm sick of hearing everything is due to lag, Thank you
I hate to say it's lag... but could it be lag? Are you playing with a less-than-decent internet connection against those who have an ideal internet connection? I don't know enough about your situation to tell you if that's the case. But if it is, then lag is more than likely the cause of your troubles. If you have solid internet, then I'd imagine it's just a skill-gap issue. Perhaps the people you've done this to are adept at countering your assault, but you aren't as good at it yet. With practice, that could change.
So I've noticed sometimes players can negate my lock on by using their thruster pack, but when I try I still get hit by hydra and rockets that have locked on to me. Can anyone explain this to me? And please don't just say it's lag, I'm sick of hearing everything is due to lag, Thank you
Its all just timing, thats the "skill" when using thrusters is being able to dodge stuff at the right time if need be
I think it all depends on timing.
Trusters are made to evade. Not broken or odd is going on. Unless you fire a rocket and just go right instead of going left where the player is.
If it's timing, I don't get it. it's mainly the hydra, people will use the thruster and my lock on breaks after I have fired the hydra, and before I fire the hydra, yet none will actually follow the player. I'll do the same thing and the hydra rockets will follow me either way. And I have great internet connection btw.
If it's timing, I don't get it. it's mainly the hydra, people will use the thruster and my lock on breaks after I have fired the hydra, and before I fire the hydra, yet none will actually follow the player. I'll do the same thing and the hydra rockets will follow me either way. And I have great internet connection btw.
the distance sometimes matters. Like dude there's times where I get a lock on and the missile will literally curve around the corner to hit someone, then times where they're pretty close to me and I get the lock on showing but the missile just flies in a straight line when I figured even if they thrust it would at least move to the direction they thrusted.

(Not super close. If they're super close I just shoot the ground they're by or jumping towards, but they're like within 1v1 mid distance from me and I happen to already be zoomed in with that weapon so I just fire it)

Hydra can feel strong sometimes and can cause a lot of havoc then there's these inconsistent times. It becomes almost as inconsistent as a scatter shot unzoomed man lol
Its about timing you have to use your thrusters at the exact right moment to avoid them
Certain evasion moves like the Thruster Pack, Banshee rolls & flips, and enemy A.I. evasion moves can cancel out homing projectiles, causing them to lose their lock on and travel in a straight direction such that they almost always miss the target. That rather annoying feature has existed since Halo: Reach.
Pheinted wrote:
the distance sometimes matters. Like dude there's times where I get a lock on and the missile will literally curve around the corner to hit someone, then times where they're pretty close to me and I get the lock on showing but the missile just flies in a straight line when I figured even if they thrust it would at least move to the direction they thrusted.

(Not super close. If they're super close I just shoot the ground they're by or jumping towards, but they're like within 1v1 mid distance from me and I happen to already be zoomed in with that weapon so I just fire it)

Hydra can feel strong sometimes and can cause a lot of havoc then there's these inconsistent times. It becomes almost as inconsistent as a scatter shot unzoomed man lol
Distance is a key player in the effectiveness of the Hydra in my experience as well, the further it has to travel after being fired the harder it is to evade. This makes a much bigger difference for me than for the timing of the thrusters.