Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Tips for getting to 152

OP Virulent Ending

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Started grinding to hit 152 I thought I'd post a few tips to help anyone else that's also grinding. These will primarily be to keep you in the right mindset as this grind is pretty ridiculous.

Ignorance is bliss:
Do not look up the XP required for the next rank. It's better to learn that when you just leveled. The good counteracts the bad.

Don't calculate how many days it'll take you to hit 152 just do your best to earn as much as you can. Depending how far you are the numbers can be quite daunting and may turn you off of grinding. (Hah depending how far you are...)

Progression:
Goes hand in hand with ignorance is bliss sort of.
See the after game chart they have? Ignore that. Only pay heed to the actual amount of XP till the next level. Feels a little daunting but after a while you'll be like "Wow I've come a long way". Yeah don't count how many slivers of XP till the next, don't do that. That's bad. On the other hand after you've made good head way the chart becomes a bit of a morale boost.

The urge to quit or play a less efficient mode or something else:
Remember each time this happens this will set you back significantly and only further drag out your misery.

Appear offline:
Not necessary but if you're hardcore about this. Friends will probably try to pull you into other games/ modes. Simple appear offline and not have the temptation to lose efficiency.

Boost acquisition:
Want 152 as fast as possible? Would you trade all your one time use reqs for it? Sell everything then buy silver packs then sell the junk that isn't boosts. You should sell everything except the boosts you will use. DO NOT sell RP boosts. RP gets you closer to the next pack meaning your next boost. Provided you never sell and have played a lot you'll have an insane amount of reqs. I had roughly 35000ish reqs after selling mine, now I have hundreds of boosts.
Update:
After you have a significant amount of lower tier XP boosts from silvers you should move on to gold packs. The massive amount of lower tier boosts will act as a buffer for when you can't run high tier boosts.

Intermission:
This ones obvious, aftermatch intermission = return to menu the re-enter playlist. 152 cannot wait.
(May not apply to arena (I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole)

No quitting:
Needless to say quitting is a setback the time spent in that game is now time wasted.

Update:
Upon closer inspection it seems no matter what place you get by the end of the match it does NOT seem to matter. (May be random)

Not only that but actually playing past round 2 is pretty pointless... After failing on round 2 I earned 8000+XP (blue WZ XP boost was used) then after failing on round 5 I got 9000+ XP with the same boost used. That's TEN extra minutes for 1000+ XP compared to your first 10 minutes giving 8000+... (Tested of Mythic FF)

Needless to say you're getting ripped off. To earn the most efficient XP just intentionally lose at round 2. I'm not saying sabatoge your team, if you do decide to do this fill up the entire Fireteam with people who want to do this method. There's other people actually trying to win or play firefight for fun so don't ruin it for them by going into public lobbies with the intent to lose.

As for me I don't have nearly enough friends that play halo 5 to do this and looking for group has yielded no results. So I'll continue playing normally, though knowing I'm barely being rewarded for the last ten or so minutes is a major let down. For Halo Infinite please do not use this system 343i.

If you want to see the original text for this bracket you can find it in posts below that quoted this post before the edit.

Firefight wait times = + Sanity:
This applies to firefight only. Overly long respawn timer? Hope you have a phone or computer nearby, that 30 seconds let's you briefly do something else and NOT lose efficiency. Sure you can't do much with 30 seconds... Maybe YouTube or find some music you like. Or type out chunks of a forum post over several matches... Hello
Idk you find something to fill that brief reprieve.

Side note thing:
These are pretty much everything I can think of that's helping me. Maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't. Maybe I just made this post to keep me sane. Hopefully this actually helps someone lol. Oh yeah remember Reach? It had an XP cap to keep you from going buck wild. Halo 5 is not so "kind", have fun with that tidbit. Inb4 Twitch streamers begin human potato-ing to 152. If you go buck wild grinding should probably walk or some form of exercise so you don't end up like that guy in the internet cafe. He ded, dying will hurt your efficiency... A lot. If I think of anything else I'll edit the post.

As for the XP method mentioned you should a try to extend the timer to near the end. Round 2 same thing but then let the timer expire. If you fail too esrea you'll only get half.
Good post man. :)
Good solid post OP, my strategy is going to be grinding in infection and fire fight after my company gets the Achilles helmet.
Good points. I’ll throw in something that helps me. If you find firefight to be the single most tedious playlist of all time, but can’t resist that xp payout, put on a podcast or some other form of entertainment while you play. Heroic firefight is generally not too difficult, so a bit of a distraction from the monotony will go a long way to keep you playing longer
Good points. I’ll throw in something that helps me. If you find firefight to be the single most tedious playlist of all time, but can’t resist that xp payout, put on a podcast or some other form of entertainment while you play. Heroic firefight is generally not too difficult, so a bit of a distraction from the monotony will go a long way to keep you playing longer
Is it the quickest way to rank up? Most exp payout?
Dan Oney wrote:
It’s one of the best, but infection may be more efficient because of the shorter matches. Playing infection last night I got right under 70,000 xp in an hour of play time using kill gambit boosts. I’m pretty sure that double xp was still active though so I’m not sure what the normal payout would be
Dan Oney wrote:
It’s one of the best, but infection may be more efficient because of the shorter matches. Playing infection last night I got right under 70,000 xp in an hour of play time using kill gambit boosts. I’m pretty sure that double xp was still active though so I’m not sure what the normal payout would be
But I -Yoinking!- haaaate Infection and Griffball! xD
Dan Oney wrote:
Dan Oney wrote:
They definitely aren’t my favorite either. Last night was the first time I played infection since the Halloween playlist. I’m still not a fan of the regular infection gametypes, but I actually found myself enjoying contingency
Dan Oney wrote:
Dan Oney wrote:
They definitely aren’t my favorite either. Last night was the first time I played infection since the Halloween playlist. I’m still not a fan of the regular infection gametypes, but I actually found myself enjoying contingency
If it get's me to 152 a whole lot quicker, I think I could put up with it.
I have been thinking about buying only sliver packs and stop buying golds but will it really give me the best ratio of quality/quantity of exp and req boost? Silver packs are 5000 reqs while golds are 10,000 reqs. I already have all my reqs so it will give me 6000 req points back for each gold pack. And I think it gives you 3000 pack for each silver. So you can buy twice the amount of silver packs. Gold packs will give you the best quality of exp and req boost while the silver packs will give you the best quantity of exp and req boost. So basically what I'm asking is it quantity over quality for exp and req boost? Right now I have over 200,000 req points so I can buy almost 100 sliver packs or around 50 gold packs. So should I really just buy sliver packs if I solely only care about the exp and req boost?
Agree with everything you posted. What helps me continue the grind is telling myself constantly "It is moving closer and closer" and sure enough early this morning I hit 151. I am not sure I will buy silvers as I would prefer to save for the XP packs when they come around. However, I have finally run out of nearly all arena xp boosts (finishing up target master) which is slowing down the grind down but once completed I will have 100 percent commendations. From there I will be doing firefight to get to 152 faster.

On a separate note you can track how much xp you have made in a single day on Halo tracker if you dare to see how long it will take. I personally visit at the end of the day just to see exactly how much was earned and calculate how many weeks till I hit 152.
I have been thinking about buying only sliver packs and stop buying golds but will it really give me the best ratio of quality/quantity of exp and req boost? Silver packs are 5000 reqs while golds are 10,000 reqs. I already have all my reqs so it will give me 6000 req points back for each gold pack. And I think it gives you 3000 pack for each silver. So you can buy twice the amount of silver packs. Gold packs will give you the best quality of exp and req boost while the silver packs will give you the best quantity of exp and req boost. So basically what I'm asking is it quantity over quality for exp and req boost? Right now I have over 200,000 req points so I can buy almost 100 sliver packs or around 50 gold packs. So should I really just buy sliver packs if I solely only care about the exp and req boost?
I opt for quantity due to the sheer amount of matches you need to play to get to 152. I haven't done any calculations but I feel running an XP boost every single match helps. I've roughly 130ish green XP jackpots which the RP I earn and cycle back into silvers keeps that number from depleting faster than I earn them. Though I've mainly been using blue XP boosts. All firefight so arena might play out differently. I have a decent safety net with to total XP boost I have so I might experiment for better possible payouts.
Don't calculate how many days it'll take you to hit 152 just do your best to earn as much as you can. Depending how far you are the numbers can be quite daunting and may turn you off of grinding. (Hah depending how far you are...)
This is the only one I don't agree with. For me, calculating the days let me set a daily XP goal to make and it let me know there was an end date that was only getting closer by the day so both of those were very motivating to keep grinding.
I would suggest getting the xp boost packs instead since you get 20 legendary boosts that give out around 11000 for warzone and 5000 for arena. Since you said you only want the boosts
LUKEPOWA wrote:
This is the only one I don't agree with. For me, calculating the days let me set a daily XP goal to make and it let me know there was an end date that was only getting closer by the day so both of those were very motivating to keep grinding.
Yea I feel the same way but probably since I'm more into numbers and knowing how long something might take.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
That is a good point while I agree knowing how many days is nice. At least for me seeing several months to a year is quite the put off. Though that number might not be bad depending on your average XP per day. So it could be a good thing seeing how far you are.

For Reach keeping track of days remaining was essentially a beacon of hope. So I definitely understand where you're coming from.
i got 152 by playing the game... a lot. so just keep playing and only use xp boosts.
Started grinding to hit 152 I thought I'd post a few tips to help anyone else that's also grinding. These will primarily be to keep you in the right mindset as this grind is pretty ridiculous.

Ignorance is bliss:Do not look up the XP required for the next rank. It's better to learn that when you just leveled. The good counteracts the bad.

Progression:Goes hand in hand with ignorance is bliss sort of.
See the after game chart they have? Ignore that. Only pay heed to the actual amount of XP till the next level. Feels a little daunting but after a while you'll be like "Wow I've come a long way". Yeah don't count how many slivers of XP till the next, don't do that. That's bad. On the other hand after you've made good head way the chart becomes a bit of a morale boost.

The urge to quit or play a less efficient mode or something else:Remember each time this happens this will set you back significantly and only further drag out your misery.

Appear offline:Not necessary but if you're hardcore about this. Friends will probably try to pull you into other games/ modes. Simple appear offline and not have the temptation to lose efficiency.

Boost acquisition:Want 152 as fast as possible? Would you trade all your one time use reqs for it? Sell everything then buy silver packs then sell the junk that isn't boosts. You should sell everything except the boosts you will use. DO NOT sell RP boosts. RP gets you closer to the next pack meaning your next boost. Provided you never sell and have played a lot you'll have an insane amount of reqs. I had roughly 35000ish reqs after selling mine, now I have hundreds of boosts.
Update:After you have a significant amount of lower tier XP boosts from silvers you should move on to gold packs. The massive amount of lower tier boosts will act as a buffer for when you can't run high tier boosts.

Intermission:This ones obvious, aftermatch intermission = return to menu the re-enter playlist. 152 cannot wait.

Play to win and no quitting:Doing well nets you with a bit more XP so do your best. Just don't let your competitive side get the best of you (tilt). Needless to say quitting is a setback the time spent in that game is now time wasted.

Firefight wait times = + Sanity:This applies to firefight only. Overly long respawn timer? Hope you have a phone or computer nearby, that 30 seconds let's you briefly do something else and NOT lose efficiency. Sure you can't do much with 30 seconds... Maybe YouTube or find some music you like. Or type out chunks of a forum post over several matches... HelloIdk you find something to fill that brief reprieve.

Side note thing:
These are pretty much everything I can think of that's helping me. Maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't. Maybe I just made this post to keep me sane. Hopefully this actually helps someone lol. Oh yeah remember Reach? It had an XP cap to keep you from going buck wild. Halo 5 is not so "kind", have fun with that tidbit. Inb4 Twitch streamers begin human potato-ing to 152. If you go buck wild grinding should probably walk or some form of exercise so you don't end up like that guy in the internet cafe. He ded, dying will hurt your efficiency... A lot. If I think of anything else I'll edit the post.
in my opinion though, if you're not half way through 151 then theres no point in going for 152, and you probably won't. the half way mark in xp overall is 1,000,000 xp into 150
<p></p>
Sypriz wrote:

Ignorance is bliss:Do not look up the XP required for the next rank. It's better to learn that when you just leveled. The good counteracts the bad.

Progression:Goes hand in hand with ignorance is bliss sort of.

The urge to quit or play a less efficient mode or something else:Remember each time this happens this will set you back significantly and only further drag out your misery.

Appear offline:Not necessary but if you're hardcore about this. Friends will probably try to pull you into other games/ modes. Simple appear offline and not have the temptation to lose efficiency.

Boost acquisition:Want 152 as fast as possible? Would you trade all your one time use reqs for it? Sell everything then buy silver packs then sell the junk that isn't boosts. You should sell everything except the boosts you will use. DO NOT sell RP boosts. RP gets you closer to the next pack meaning your next boost. Provided you never sell and have played a lot you'll have an insane amount of reqs. I had roughly 35000ish reqs after selling mine, now I have hundreds of boosts.
Update:After you have a significant amount of lower tier XP boosts from silvers you should move on to gold packs. The massive amount of lower tier boosts will act as a buffer for when you can't run high tier boosts.

Intermission:This ones obvious, aftermatch intermission = return to menu the re-enter playlist. 152 cannot wait.

Play to win and no quitting:Doing well nets you with a bit more XP so do your best. Just don't let your competitive side get the best of you (tilt). Needless to say quitting is a setback the time spent in that game is now time wasted.

Firefight wait times = + Sanity:This applies to firefight only. Overly long respawn timer? Hope you have a phone or computer nearby, that 30 seconds let's you briefly do something else and NOT lose efficiency. Sure you can't do much with 30 seconds... Maybe YouTube or find some music you like. Or type out chunks of a forum post over several matches... HelloIdk you find something to fill that brief reprieve.

Side note thing:
in my opinion though, if you're not half way through 151 then theres no point in going for 152, and you probably won't. the half way mark in xp overall is 1,000,000 xp into 150
<p></p>
I'm 146 and that's the same halfway point till 147. If that's accurate for 150 that's even more good news for me. I was looking at the XP charts wrong, I hadn't realized it was cumulative. I'm still gonna try lol I got max rank in Reach and 4 I won't let 5 stop me.
Sypriz wrote:
i got 152 by playing the game... a lot. so just keep playing and only use xp boosts.
I imagine quick coring helped a little. I am at 115 days of playtime and still need 7.8m xp to 152.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2