Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Tips for getting to 152

OP Virulent Ending

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
im just grinding out infection. baning out 72k xp per hour is helping me get through levels fasts. im at 148 now.
Gonna post the newest update here so those following get the notification as it's pretty significant. I also updated the original post with it as well so newer people to the thread can see it.

Update:
Upon closer inspection it seems no matter what place you get by the end of the match it means nothing the XP bonus appears to be random.

Not only that but actually playing past round 2 is pretty pointless... After failing on round 2 I earned 8000+XP (blue WZ XP boost was used) then after failing on round 5 I got 9000+ XP with the same boost used. That's TEN extra minutes for 1000+ XP compared to your first 10 minutes giving 8000+... (Tested of Mythic FF)

Needless to say you're getting ripped off. To earn the most efficient XP just intentionally lose at round 2. I'm not saying sabatoge your team, if you do decide to do this fill up the entire Fireteam with people who want to do this method.

There's other people actually trying to win or play firefight for fun so don't ruin it for them by going into public lobbies with the intent to lose.
Gonna post the newest update here so those following get the notification as it's pretty significant. I also updated the original post with it as well so newer people to the thread can see it.

Update:Upon closer inspection it seems no matter what place you get by the end of the match it means nothing the XP bonus appears to be random.

Not only that but actually playing past round 2 is pretty pointless... After failing on round 2 I earned 8000+XP (blue WZ XP boost was used) then after failing on round 5 I got 9000+ XP with the same boost used. That's TEN extra minutes for 1000+ XP compared to your first 10 minutes giving 8000+... (Tested of Mythic FF)

Needless to say you're getting ripped off. To earn the most efficient XP just intentionally lose at round 2. I'm not saying sabatoge your team, if you do decide to do this fill up the entire Fireteam with people who want to do this method.

There's other people actually trying to win or play firefight for fun so don't ruin it for them by going into public lobbies with the intent to lose.
Just to be sure are you sure you used a blue XP boost and not a jackpot? The jackpots award a more random amount so it could be be slight chance you got a big jackpot on the game that ended in round two.
LethalQ wrote:

Update:Upon closer inspection it seems no matter what place you get by the end of the match it means nothing the XP bonus appears to be random.

Just to be sure are you sure you used a blue XP boost and not a jackpot? The jackpots award a more random amount so it could be be slight chance you got a big jackpot on the game that ended in round two.
I can 100% confirm it was the standard rare boost for both matches. Haven't had a rare jackpot in a very long time.
The bulk of your XP in Warzone comes from your Player Rank and the boost. The thing is, I have no idea what determines your Player Rank and the XP gain associated with it, and I know it's not always the same for every game you play, especially if you lose. So instead of going in with a squad intending to lose 10 minutes in, I'd rather go in with a squad intending to win as quickly as possible and not leave XP on the table. Not to mention, burning a boost in a losing effort, even if intentional, feels like a total waste, especially the good ones.
The bulk of your XP in Warzone comes from your Player Rank and the boost. The thing is, I have no idea what determines your Player Rank and the XP gain associated with it, and I know it's not always the same for every game you play, especially if you lose. So instead of going in with a squad intending to lose 10 minutes in, I'd rather go in with a squad intending to win as quickly as possible and not leave XP on the table. Not to mention, burning a boost in a losing effort, even if intentional, feels like a total waste, especially the good ones.
For boosts used on a match that was a loss I haven't noticed any difference in payout. Granted I haven't been keeping track of exact numbers on that front. If there is a difference it wouldn't be more than 100+ which is nothing compared to the speed you'd be gaining from intentionally losing.

As for winning as fast as possible my plan was to rush round 1 and complete most of round 2 then let the timer expire and take the loss. Since it's just me testing this I haven't been able to test the XP gain from a loss on round 1 since losing that early is pretty rare solo. Though I highly doubt round 1 pays out more than round 2. However round 3 definitely doesn't add much after 2 it's practically nothing.
Sypriz wrote:
Started grinding to hit 152 I thought I'd post a few tips to help anyone else that's also grinding. These will primarily be to keep you in the right mindset as this grind is pretty ridiculous.

Ignorance is bliss:Do not look up the XP required for the next rank. It's better to learn that when you just leveled. The good counteracts the bad.

Don't calculate how many days it'll take you to hit 152 just do your best to earn as much as you can. Depending how far you are the numbers can be quite daunting and may turn you off of grinding. (Hah depending how far you are...)

Progression:Goes hand in hand with ignorance is bliss sort of.
See the after game chart they have? Ignore that. Only pay heed to the actual amount of XP till the next level. Feels a little daunting but after a while you'll be like "Wow I've come a long way". Yeah don't count how many slivers of XP till the next, don't do that. That's bad. On the other hand after you've made good head way the chart becomes a bit of a morale boost.

The urge to quit or play a less efficient mode or something else:Remember each time this happens this will set you back significantly and only further drag out your misery.

Appear offline:Not necessary but if you're hardcore about this. Friends will probably try to pull you into other games/ modes. Simple appear offline and not have the temptation to lose efficiency.

Boost acquisition:Want 152 as fast as possible? Would you trade all your one time use reqs for it? Sell everything then buy silver packs then sell the junk that isn't boosts. You should sell everything except the boosts you will use. DO NOT sell RP boosts. RP gets you closer to the next pack meaning your next boost. Provided you never sell and have played a lot you'll have an insane amount of reqs. I had roughly 35000ish reqs after selling mine, now I have hundreds of boosts.
Update:After you have a significant amount of lower tier XP boosts from silvers you should move on to gold packs. The massive amount of lower tier boosts will act as a buffer for when you can't run high tier boosts.

Intermission:This ones obvious, aftermatch intermission = return to menu the re-enter playlist. 152 cannot wait.
(May not apply to arena (I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole)

Play to win and no quitting:Doing well nets you with a bit more XP so do your best. Just don't let your competitive side get the best of you (tilt). Needless to say quitting is a setback the time spent in that game is now time wasted.

Firefight wait times = + Sanity:This applies to firefight only. Overly long respawn timer? Hope you have a phone or computer nearby, that 30 seconds let's you briefly do something else and NOT lose efficiency. Sure you can't do much with 30 seconds... Maybe YouTube or find some music you like. Or type out chunks of a forum post over several matches... HelloIdk you find something to fill that brief reprieve.

Side note thing:
These are pretty much everything I can think of that's helping me. Maybe it'll help you, maybe it won't. Maybe I just made this post to keep me sane. Hopefully this actually helps someone lol. Oh yeah remember Reach? It had an XP cap to keep you from going buck wild. Halo 5 is not so "kind", have fun with that tidbit. Inb4 Twitch streamers begin human potato-ing to 152. If you go buck wild grinding should probably walk or some form of exercise so you don't end up like that guy in the internet cafe. He ded, dying will hurt your efficiency... A lot. If I think of anything else I'll edit the post.
in my opinion though, if you're not half way through 151 then theres no point in going for 152, and you probably won't. the half way mark in xp overall is 1,000,000 xp into 150
<p></p>
I'm 146 and that's the same halfway point till 147. If that's accurate for 150 that's even more good news for me. I was looking at the XP charts wrong, I hadn't realized it was cumulative. I'm still gonna try lol I got max rank in Reach and 4 I won't let 5 stop me.
good luck... its going to be a while
Nice post. Wish I had real something like this when I first started playing Halo. By the time I started paying attention to ranking, I had already waisted a lot of time and opportunity to rank quicker and more efficiently.
Spam every XP boost you got and play the 343 playlists or warzone
Imo, infection and firefight give out the most xp with xp boosts. However, I personally play what is fun to me and put on boosts. I am still at 150 so I got a while till 152.
AZAAN1 wrote:
Imo, infection and firefight give out the most xp with xp boosts. However, I personally play what is fun to me and put on boosts. I am still at 150 so I got a while till 152.
Yeah, infection is probably one the most fun gamemode right now, though action sack is fairly alright. I agree with the sentiment.
But when you be da only one REQ'ing in tanks in Mythic... well... it hurts.
Sypriz wrote:
i got 152 by playing the game... a lot. so just keep playing and only use xp boosts.
I imagine quick coring helped a little. I am at 115 days of playtime and still need 7.8m xp to 152.
Are you an arena player or warzone player mostly? If you are a warzone player I really don't see how you are not 152 already.
nPlasma wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
i got 152 by playing the game... a lot. so just keep playing and only use xp boosts.
I imagine quick coring helped a little. I am at 115 days of playtime and still need 7.8m xp to 152.
Are you an arena player or warzone player mostly? If you are a warzone player I really don't see how you are not 152 already.
Arena, but I wonder if the XP payout difference was intentional to encourage playing the new mode or just an oversight.
I pushed the featured playlists pretty hard after grinding firefight. War zone Turbo with Blue XP boosts is a great way to have 500,000 xp days. Personally once i finished my gold pack grind, i bought gold packs asap to keep my boosts up, then when the legendary boosts come around i went and sold all of the weapons and vehicles i know i woulnd’t used anymore and purchase the Legendary XP packs. It took me 56.5 days of playtime to complete the grind.

The biggest piece of advice i can give is to keep having fun and don’t burn yourself out.

Happy gaming and good luck to everyone grinding
Im only 76, I have a long road ahead of me. Thanks for the tips!!!!
Just play whatever you have the most fun in, and what you have xp boosts for. I swapped back and forth between WZ and Arena depending on which I had boosts for so I never wasted any matches without a boost active.
I pushed the featured playlists pretty hard after grinding firefight. War zone Turbo with Blue XP boosts is a great way to have 500,000 xp days. Personally once i finished my gold pack grind, i bought gold packs asap to keep my boosts up, then when the legendary boosts come around i went and sold all of the weapons and vehicles i know i woulnd’t used anymore and purchase the Legendary XP packs. It took me 56.5 days of playtime to complete the grind.

The biggest piece of advice i can give is to keep having fun and don’t burn yourself out.

Happy gaming and good luck to everyone grinding
Yeah, my main concern is not getting tired of the game, especially after going from 149 to 150 in 22 days. That was intense.
I am 152.
OP,
-friends actually help a lot with that ‘one more game’ mentality
-use exp boost in this order: Yellow, Purple, Jackpot, Blue, Gambit, Green, Grey
-good team mates = more wins = more exp
-avoid raging or letting other players get under your skin, you’ll often quit early

Everyone else, I play Ranked, Super fiesta, and (was) WZA.
You can get 152 from level 1 right now. I’ve seen players get 152 in roughly 60 days of game time. Also yes HALFWAY is level 150 +1mil exp but don’t let that discourage anyone. Play the game modes you enjoy, use your boosts, and have friends to distract you from raging.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2