Trolls, leaks, and spoilers - Oh my!

OP snickerdoodle

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
As I'm sure everyone that frequents this forum is aware, Halo 5: Guardians is almost here. But almost only counts in horse shoes and hand-grenades (and I guess nukes too because, well, nukes) so there's still a bit of time left between now and October 27th. In light of that, there's a few things I want to go over. Let's get started, shall we?

Trolls

I'm sure most of you have realized that there are people who have a lot of free time on their hands and enjoy showing up, creating accounts, and then posting intentionally redundant/inflammatory/trollbait/whatever kind of posts. It's the internet. It happens. And while some of you are really good about reporting the person, there are a fair number of users who instead choose to engage the trolls.

DON'T DO THIS.

It's much better to ignore their thread in its entirety than to give it any attention by posting anything at all. Even something as benign as, "Reported." or "You, again?" gives people like that attention. It's far better to report the thread and move on. We'll get to it and handle the situation as soon as we're able to.

Leaks

With the approaching launch, there will inevitably be leaks that spring up all around the internet. Do not bring them to Waypoint. Unless the material is officially released by Halo Waypoint, it is considered a leak. And on this site, posting of any leaks will result in an automatic ban of at least one day. The severity of the leak can and will increase your ban length.

We want the site to be a safe haven for those trying to avoid spoilers. If you want to read/post spoilers on reddit, GAF, BE, wherever, go nuts. But bring them here and you'll be on the wrong side of my banhammer.

Spoilers

Much like leaks, spoilers have no business being on this site until the game has officially been released. Pre-release spoilers will end in the same treatment as leaks.

Post release, however, spoilers are inevitable. Obviously if you haven't played the campaign yet and don't want spoilers, it's highly advisable that you do not visit the H5 Guardians subsection and don't click links. That should be common sense but a reminder never hurt anyone.

For those of you that MUST post story spoilers post release, please be courteous to your fellow forum members. Keep your title vague and include 'SPOILERS' in the thread subject so people know not to click. And please make use of the spoiler tag as well. Double redundancy is good.

All that said, I know everyone is excited and tempers and emotions will run a bit high. Try to remember to be kind to one another and if you disagree, do so in a polite and constructive manner. Remember that we're all here because of Halo. Regardless if you're a CE kid or a Halo 4 kid, you're a fan of the series and obviously care enough to join the forum and community. If you have any questions or concerns, my inbox is always open.

Until then, I'll see you all on the battlefield. :)
Did you make this thread because of the guy posting about mods going crazy, Snickerdoodle?
Did you make this thread because of the guy posting about mods going crazy, Snickerdoodle?
No, she made the thread as a PSA to highlight what is and isn't considered acceptable specifically around H5's release.
I think she made it because, like she said, Halo 5 is almost here. Asshattery needs to be kept to minimum especially this close to launch, if at all, and that's what this thread is trying to accomplish.
No, she made the thread as a PSA to highlight what is and isn't considered acceptable specifically around H5's release.
This.
I think she made it because, like she said, Halo 5 is almost here. Asshattery needs to be kept to minimum especially this close to launch, if at all, and that's what this thread is trying to accomplish.
And this.
So, I can't spoil that Arby's is gonna die?
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show

The Arbiter is one of the most significant characters in the Halo universe. Killing him off would be silly.
omarlotrc wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

The Arbiter is one of the most significant characters in the Halo universe. Killing him off would be silly.
I'd enjoy it, especially if it was Locke who did it.
Stop or take it to PM's.

Thanks.
Stop or take it to PM's.

Thanks.
My bad, I thought we were able to comment with jokes, seeing as the title is humorous. My apologies.
Can't like this enough and the first part of the post is really huge - think before you respond to trolls and don't hit that submit button. Reporting the post is infinitely better
Yes, much yes on not engaging the troll. Don't bump his thread and feed him, they aren't worth our time. Especially when there are threads with 100% negativity and nothing constructive, it's obviously bait.
Stop or take it to PM's.
Thanks.
My bad, I thought we were able to comment with jokes, seeing as the title is humorous. My apologies.
I see what you did there now, lol.
Sorry, snickerdoodle! And thanks for making this thread! :)
Looks like my main principles when posting. Too bad I sometimes break them out of sheer annoyance..

I have a question though. There are cases when some threads get way out of hand with responses, and it did take a while for a mod to come along, last one to come to mind was the guy who repeatedly made alternate accounts to complain about Eden, and the last one was about the outros, even though Eden was part of it.

Is it ok for us normal users to remind people not to engage, seeing as the thread can't be bumped to the first spot when it's constantly hitting it anyway? As long as the reminding itself doesn't get out of hand?
I think even in those cases it's still best not to respond even when your intentions may be good, you're still adding to the popularity of the thread. Report the post and leave it be, can always contact a moderator if it hasn't been caught after a few hours
Thanks for the heads up.

MGS V was spoiled for me prior to release. Those special moments in the game are sacred, and seeing/reading them out of the proper context can ruin a man. Much like seeing your mom naked in the shower.
Amusing thread title for attention, yes. But I don't want this thread to get derailed because it is important information.

Naqser wrote:
Is it ok for us normal users to remind people not to engage, seeing as the thread can't be bumped to the first spot when it's constantly hitting it anyway? As long as the reminding itself doesn't get out of hand?
The less attention you give, the better. I know it's tempting to post and say, "Guys! Stop posting!" but by doing that you're effectively doing what you don't want everyone else to do.

I try to catch stuff as quickly as possible but I'm only human and can only do so much. Stuff slips through sometimes. And for that, I apologize.
LyleThe2nd wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

MGS V was spoiled for me prior to release. Those special moments in the game are sacred, and seeing/reading them out of the proper context can ruin a man. Much like seeing your mom naked in the shower.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I am hoping to avoid having that happen to people here on the forums. I had H4 spoiled for me well before playing it and it does suck so I completley understand.

Not about the mom in the shower thing. That's just weird. :)
almost only counts in horse shoes and hand-grenades
I thought I was the only one that said that..
Here's a big spoiler for halo 5
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
This is the ending of Halo 5
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3