Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Trouble with aim assist, please help!

OP XBIackdrak117X

Hello everyone!

For the past 6 months or so I can't be confident with my shot. I feel the aim assist doesn't help me at all. It is sooo hard to keep track of players and properly shoot at them. I have been a consistent Halo player since CE and I've been playing online for ten years now. I am no pro but also not a noob at all (I have got to 50 on Halo 3 and 4, I am an Inheritor in Reach and I have reached Champ rank on various Halo 5 playlists and seasons). But now everytime I play is a really frustrating experience since I can't manage to win in-game 1v1s, get a positive k/d nor win games.

What happened?

I know it is not that I am burnout since I have taken proper rest from the game, not touching it for days, and even though everything stays the same.

The only way to land my shots are to pace them sooo slow and people always perfect me very easily. Why? It is almost as if the reticle doesn't get red and doesn't help me stick to the player and follow his moves.

What can I do to fix this? My Xbox and game is the same, my connection is good and hasn't changed, I play with the same friends as always (and from the same region) and they don't have trouble at all.

Any help will be appreciated!

Anyone else on the same situation?

This kind of happened overnight and I don't think it was due to an update.

*I will try to submit evidence of what I am talking about as soon as I can but my DVR is full right now.

Thank you for reading. Cheers!

Halo <3
I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect, but I lowered my sensitivity to 3 sensitivity 2 acceleration from 3 sensitivity 3 acceleration and I've improved my accuracy quite a bit.
JB Linken wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect, but I lowered my sensitivity to 3 sensitivity 2 acceleration from 3 sensitivity 3 acceleration and I've improved my accuracy quite a bit.
Thank you for your reply! I have tried lowering my sensivity and it doesn't seem to get any better. I also can pace my shots and get 60+% accuracy and 2,000+ damage dealt but I would go like -10 because I just can't win 1v1s. It is so weird. I used to be somewhat good and now I feel kind of a noob.
JB Linken wrote:
Thank you for your reply! I have tried lowering my sensivity and it doesn't seem to get any better. I also can pace my shots and get 60+% accuracy and 2,000+ damage dealt but I would go like -10 because I just can't win 1v1s it is so weird. I used to be somewhat good and now I feel so bad.
I know you said you pace your shots, but a big thing I had to learn to do was slow down. I focused on just making the shots hit the first time, no matter how long it took (to an extent lol), then as I practiced that I was able to increase my firing speed. I'm still not 100% accurate but with enough practice I feel more comfortable than I did before.

What sensitivity do you use? I haven't touched any deadzone settings.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
Thank you for your reply! I have tried lowering my sensivity and it doesn't seem to get any better. I also can pace my shots and get 60+% accuracy and 2,000+ damage dealt but I would go like -10 because I just can't win 1v1s it is so weird. I used to be somewhat good and now I feel so bad.
I know you said you pace your shots, but a big thing I had to learn to do was slow down. I focused on just making the shots hit the first time, no matter how long it took (to an extent lol), then as I practiced that I was able to increase my firing speed. I'm still not 100% accurate but with enough practice I feel more comfortable than I did before.

I do slow down, that's what I mean by pacing shots. I only fire if I'm sure I will hit the opponent. I play 3 sens 4 acceleration.
JB Linken wrote:
JB Linken wrote:

I do slow down, that's what I mean by pacing shots. I only fire if I'm sure I will hit the opponent. I play 3 sens 4 acceleration.
Maybe drop the acceleration down to 3 or 2. That's the change I made and I saw improvement. Couldn't hurt for a few games! :)
I need to improve my shots, here's a video I found about pacing shots. I'm going to give it a try

https://youtu.be/oFdQvdc18Gc
Bro, I remember your gamertag from a game I think we played together because I thought you were good and your peak rank was Champion 30 in Team Arena.

You obviously have the skills but I imagine you might be psyching yourself out. I tend to do this when I don't anticipate the thrust at the end of 1v1s. As for going negative, try reading the fight and just dipping out for your teammate to clean it up. I tend to know when I'm going to lose 1v1s and there is no use in sticking to the fight at that point.

I would also recommend dropping the acceleration. I play on 3 horiz 3 vert and 1 accel (bumping up the horizontal due to lack of acceleration).

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, though; I get owned all the time.
I need to improve my shots, here's a video I found about pacing shots. I'm going to give it a try

https://youtu.be/oFdQvdc18Gc
Thank you. I will give it a try!
Bro, I remember your gamertag from a game I think we played together because I thought you were good and your peak rank was Champion 30 in Team Arena.

You obviously have the skills but I imagine you might be psyching yourself out. I tend to do this when I don't anticipate the thrust at the end of 1v1s. As for going negative, try reading the fight and just dipping out for your teammate to clean it up. I tend to know when I'm going to lose 1v1s and there is no use in sticking to the fight at that point.

I would also recommend dropping the acceleration. I play on 3 horiz 3 vert and 1 accel (bumping up the horizontal due to lack of acceleration).

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, though; I get owned all the time.
Hi, bro! Thank for the reply.

It is something weird, I am missing shots I shouldn't be just because the aim doesn't stick to the enemy now.
The aim assist does help land your shots, atleast for me. It helps a little too much... Whenever I try to kill someone by shooting an explosive barrel it auto aims my gun to the person next to it making me die and lose the explosive kill. Maybe your sense just isn't good, I use 2 5 for slayer.
JB Linken wrote:
Thank you for your reply! I have tried lowering my sensivity and it doesn't seem to get any better. I also can pace my shots and get 60+% accuracy and 2,000+ damage dealt but I would go like -10 because I just can't win 1v1s. It is so weird. I used to be somewhat good and now I feel kind of a noob.
This is my big problem as well, I typically am top 3 in the matches for accuracy, but I lose a disproportionate number of my 1v1 battles. I've never placed higher than Diamond 2 though so I'm nowhere near your level. I think I just don't fire fast enough, but when I speed up, I choke. I'm curious to know if bad servers could be an issue, it doesn't matter if you team up with the same group of friends, you could still get dropped on a Mexican server (or whatever ones offer the most nightmare inducing experience in your region) and end up with the apposing team eating bullets for lunch.
JB Linken wrote:
This is my big problem as well, I typically am top 3 in the matches for accuracy, but I lose a disproportionate number of my 1v1 battles. I've never placed higher than Diamond 2 though so I'm nowhere near your level. I think I just don't fire fast enough, but when I speed up, I choke. I'm curious to know if bad servers could be an issue, it doesn't matter if you team up with the same group of friends, you could still get dropped on a Mexican server (or whatever ones offer the most nightmare inducing experience in your region) and end up with the apposing team eating bullets for lunch.
This sounds very familiar servers play a huge part with not specifically aim assist but the bullet magnetism its brutal if your on the bad end of the server and as I play from Australia thats every game for me although I play high plat low diamond I struggle to win 1v1s vs golds because of this and I imagine as you get up to champ level the smallest disadvantage server side would hurt a lot playing against guys of that skill level
Now take this with an absolute ton of salt cuz I’m about a P5-D3 player but I’ve been playing other Halo games lately and I’ve noticed something:

If you’re used to aiming in say H3 or H4, you’ll notice aiming feels a bit off in H5. It feels like Halo 5’s aiming is so much faster. I play on about a 7 sense with 6 acceleration in MCC, but on H5, my 3H, 3V, 3A feels much faster. So if you’re used to playing other Halo games, then that’s probably why.

Of course, you could just be screwing up on something deeper than your actions. A lot of these troubles can be in your head and shifting from the idea that something feels off can help. Of course, this is just from my experience and your problem could be completely different. Just remember that it might not be a physical problem, in most cases, it’s psychological.