Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Update on Warzone 12-Man Fireteams!

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18
Hey folks - I wanted to share a quick update on the Warzone Fireteam "test" and plans for a NEW test that will be kicking off next weekend!

As you know, late last year the Warzone design team implemented a test changing the max number of players in a WZ Fireteam from 12 to 6. The reasoning for this test was in response to feedback and data showing that the vast majority of WZ players were entering matchmaking either solo or in small Fireteams and facing off against pre-made 12-man squads was resulting in a poor experience. Games of individual/smaller disparate groups matching against seasoned 12-man pre-made Fireteams often resulted in lop-sided victories and in extreme cases, straight up "farming" of these helpless individuals for the duration of a game. So far the test is indeed showing that blow out victories/defeats are less common and feedback from solo/small Fireteam players has been positive.

That said, we also recognize that while technically a minority in terms of the overall population, there is still an active and passionate group of Halo 5 Companies that have built a strong community regularly playing in 12-man Fireteam WZ matches. The change noted above negatively impacted that play style and segment of our population so the team has been working on potential ways to satisfy both audiences.

While we realize there are some tradeoffs and potential shortcomings that may not make this the ideal permanent solution - namely potentially long wait times depending on the health of the "premade 12-man Fireteam population" - the 343 team still feels it's worth testing out a new Warzone playlist that specifically caters to large Fireteams.

Mark your calendars. Rally your Halo 5 Companies and assemble your Fireteams. Prepare for the "Warlords" playlist coming to Halo 5 Warzone on Friday, Jan. 27 at approx. 2PM PST. This is going to be run as a test and given population constraints will be setup to run for the weekend, similar in fashion to the Mythic WZ Firefight playlist.

It's important to note that you'll ONLY be able to enter matchmaking in the Warlords playlist if you're in a 12-man Fireteam. If this sounds cool to you but you don't have enough friends currently, look into joining a Halo 5 Company and/or check out the official "Halo" club on Xbox One. Within the Halo club you can utilize the "Looking for Group" feature to find 11 more Spartans to join you in Warzone. We're working on putting together a 343 Fireteam right now and look forward to doing battle next Friday. And if Uny, Grim and I can't fill out our roster we'll be in the Halo club looking for 9 more folks to take up arms.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we've worked through these issues and we look forward to your help and feedback as we test the Halo 5 "Warlords" Warzone playlist next Friday-Sunday. See you then!
Looking forward to it.
Not a total Fix. But it's a start.
Yes!! Really excited for this!
Nice to hear man, Still concerned on how it's mandatory 12 man, because what if there's a lobby of people who can only get 11.......then they can't play, i feel like making it Mandatory 12 people is setting us up for failure. Still happy about it though :)
ske7ch wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Will it be easier to Join up or join back up if you get drop from the game due to server? or will you team be screw and down a player?
Good to know. I'll tell the rest of my company and we'll see if we can coordinate for that time frame.
Also wanted to point out something, ske7chy; It isn't just 12-man companies. Sometimes we're just in a big party with a couple of friends who like to play with us every now and then, and we feel like playing Warzone sometimes. Happens to me and (I think) a lot of others quite often before you guys started testing. Just wanted to say that really quick.
nice, good idea, hopefully its permanent afterwards
ske7ch wrote:
Games of individual/smaller disparate groups matching against seasoned 12-man pre-made Fireteams often resulted in lop-sided victories and in extreme cases, straight up "farming" of these helpless individuals for the duration of a game.
So far the [6-man cap] test is indeed showing that blow out victories/defeats are less common....
You mentioned farming as an extreme problem for helpless individuals. Has farming also been alleviated according to the resulting data collection?

Quote:
The team has been working on potential ways to satisfy both audiences.
343 can save a lot of time and money by not working from scratch. Just have the team read the OP of the 6-man limit megathread. Solutions for all three groups are contained within.

Quote:
While we realize there are some tradeoffs and potential shortcomings that may not make this the ideal permanent solution - namely potentially long wait times depending on the health of the "premade 12-man Fireteam population" - the 343 team still feels it's worth testing out a new Warzone playlist that specifically caters to large Fireteams.
Please clarify. At this point, is this intended to be the "permanent solution"? I realize it's a test, but is this the expected end result (barring any unforeseen results in the data collection)? I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting.

Quote:
It's important to note that you'll ONLY be able to enter matchmaking in the Warlords playlist if you're in a 12-man Fireteam.
Will there be any mechanics solutions for players getting dropped when loading, or during, a game? I.e. Can a player rejoin his fireteam and then JIP back into the game? Or will the fireteam be stuck with 11, 10, or even 9 players, against 12, for the duration of the match?

Quote:
check out the official "Halo" club on Xbox One. Within the Halo club you can utilize the "Looking for Group" feature to find 11 more Spartans to join you in Warzone.
Thank you! I was going to suggest this exact thing through a third-party as solution to that problem, pending this announcement. I like that the team is planning ahead for some of these issues!

Quote:
...we look forward to your help and feedback as we test the Halo 5 "Warlords" Warzone playlist next Friday-Sunday.
THANKS! Will there be a separate feedback thread? Or are we using the other megathread?

I know this post is very critical, but it is not intended to be deconstructive. I appreciate the steps that have been taken, and would just like to assist in reaching a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks for the update!
I'll give this a go, sounds like it could be a blast. Probably get my -Yoink- handed to me, but that's ok.
Looking forward to this, though like you said, it isn't the ideal fix all. I don't think the population will sustain itself off of strict 12 mans, but it's just a test.. I assume you guys made it weekend only to gather the best data?
A true warrior never quits, no matter how bleak things are. Never leave your team behind, fight from every waking death. And we never hide to cower from the enemy.
Awesome news! Thanks for the heads up! :)
My REQ points are tingling
Going to be fun
Wraith0912 wrote:
Good to know. I'll tell the rest of my company and we'll see if we can coordinate for that time frame.
Also wanted to point out something, ske7chy; It isn't just 12-man companies. Sometimes we're just in a big party with a couple of friends who like to play with us every now and then, and we feel like playing Warzone sometimes. Happens to me and (I think) a lot of others quite often before you guys started testing. Just wanted to say that really quick.
While it might not be the best solution, I think there should be a way to queue up parties of the same size with other parties of that exact same size in 7+ fireparty situations. Maybe adjust the gamerules accordingly to fit these party v party situations as well?
Wraith0912 wrote:
While it might not be the best solution, I think there should be a way to queue up parties of the same size with other parties of that exact same size in 7+ fireparty situations. Maybe adjust the gamerules accordingly to fit these party v party situations as well?
If people don't mind the potentially long wait times, that could work as well. What about those other 5 players, though?
Wraith0912 wrote:
Wraith0912 wrote:
If people don't mind the potentially long wait times, that could work as well. What about those other 5 players, though?
Just leave them empty, and scale the gamerules accordingly to fit the situation of the party. (E.G. if the max score was 750, and it was an 8v8 game, legendary bosses would be reduced to 75, Mythic to 150, and normal to 15, as well as a slower rate of point gain for holding control of bases. Something like that.)
I hope if this playlist does fail that 343 doesnt just trash the idea. For Halo 6 after launch when population is really large this would work no problem but I can definitely see troubl;e finding games in a playlist like this at this point in time of Halo 5's life
It'll be fun, especially considering the addition of the LFG feature
Awesome! :)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 18