Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Vertical and horizontal sensitivity...

OP JensBoef

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
In Halo 5 you can change your vertical and horizontal sensitivity to create a custom sensitivity. I never seen that in any FPS game. I am wondering if it is logical to have a different vertical and horizontal sensitivity. Anyone knows if other FPS games have a difference between vertical and horizontal sensitivity? Is it "good" to have the same vertical & horizontal sensitivities, or do other FPS games also have a difference between the two?

I haven't tried to mess with it, but maybe I should? Do you guys & girls tried some custom sensitivities? Did you like it?

Thanks for any help and feedback!
I think it makes the most sense to have your vertical and horizontal sensitivities at the same values; having one that is slower would be something of a handicap in your performance. In my case, I play on max sensitivity all the time, and it really does wonders transitioning from long range to short range combat. Muscle memory and control is paramount.
HaXoR73 wrote:
I think it makes the most sense to have your vertical and horizontal sensitivities at the same values; having one that is slower would be something of a handicap in your performance. In my case, I play on max sensitivity all the time, and it really does wonders transitioning from long range to short range combat. Muscle memory and control is paramount.
Wow. 10 10 is extreme from my point of view. But you have a really high KD and ranks, so it must be working for you.

You say it "does wonders transitioning from long ranke to short range combat, muscle memory and control". Do you mean the high sensitivity or the fact that your vertical and horizontal sensitivity are the same? Or both?
HaXoR73 wrote:
I think it makes the most sense to have your vertical and horizontal sensitivities at the same values; having one that is slower would be something of a handicap in your performance. In my case, I play on max sensitivity all the time, and it really does wonders transitioning from long range to short range combat. Muscle memory and control is paramount.
I can't even imagine playing on 10! Mine has always been pretty low about 3 or 4.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I haven't seen or read that changing this up is something a lot of players do. I would leave it the same for both. What your actual sensitivity is set to is however you feel most comfortable.
JensBoef wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
I think it makes the most sense to have your vertical and horizontal sensitivities at the same values; having one that is slower would be something of a handicap in your performance. In my case, I play on max sensitivity all the time, and it really does wonders transitioning from long range to short range combat. Muscle memory and control is paramount.
Wow. 10 10 is extreme from my point of view. But you have a really high KD and ranks, so it must be working for you.

You say it "does wonders transitioning from long ranke to short range combat, muscle memory and control". Do you mean the high sensitivity or the fact that your vertical and horizontal sensitivity are the same? Or both?
Like I mentioned, muscle memory and control are very important. Because the thumbsticks are much more sensitive, very small inputs from my thumbs allows me to use the sniping weapons without too much issue. Should someone try to ambush me from the side or from behind, I can slam the stick to the side, whip out a more suitable close-quarters weapon, and deftly eliminate them before they kill me first.

Besides that, this setup maintains my spatial awareness, provides more room for error, and allows me to react faster to attackers at touching distance. It's a life-saver during Infection.
I know a lot of the best players have weird setups. Shotzzy, for example, arguably the best Halo 5 player from a raw skill / movements perspective, plays on 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. Seems 1 - 5 is very common for the pros to use. Many are also 4 (h) 2(v) as well.

I'm extremely casual and play social only for the most part, but I've found 4 (h) 2(v) works like a charm for me.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
I think it makes the most sense to have your vertical and horizontal sensitivities at the same values; having one that is slower would be something of a handicap in your performance. In my case, I play on max sensitivity all the time, and it really does wonders transitioning from long range to short range combat. Muscle memory and control is paramount.
I can't even imagine playing on 10! Mine has always been pretty low about 3 or 4.

Anyway, in answer to the OP, I haven't seen or read that changing this up is something a lot of players do. I would leave it the same for both. What your actual sensitivity is set to is however you feel most comfortable.
Just to add insult to injury, both my deadzones are set at 0%, which makes things extra sensitive. Still doesn't hinder my performance at all.
J Teeps wrote:
I know a lot of the best players have weird setups. Shotzzy, for example, arguably the best Halo 5 player from a raw skill / movements perspective, plays on 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. Seems 1 - 5 is very common for the pros to use. Many are also 4 (h) 2(v) as well.
I'm extremely casual and play social only for the most part, but I've found 4 (h) 2(v) works like a charm for me.
Huh, well I guess I was wrong. I always thought that when they said their setup the two different numbers were their sensitivity and acceleration.

HaXoR73 wrote:
Just to add insult to injury, both my deadzones are set at 0%, which makes things extra sensitive. Still doesn't hinder my performance at all.
I see how it is. Like to salt that wound, huh. Right on, well I will admit the whole deadzones I don't even mess with.
DaxSeven09 wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
I know a lot of the best players have weird setups. Shotzzy, for example, arguably the best Halo 5 player from a raw skill / movements perspective, plays on 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. Seems 1 - 5 is very common for the pros to use. Many are also 4 (h) 2(v) as well.

I'm extremely casual and play social only for the most part, but I've found 4 (h) 2(v) works like a charm for me.
Huh, well I guess I was wrong. I always thought that when they said their setup the two different numbers were their sensitivity and acceleration.
Yeah, I was wondering the same. 1 sensitivity and 5 acceleration makes more sense than 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. But 1 sens is maybe a bit low for a pro?
JensBoef wrote:
DaxSeven09 wrote:
J Teeps wrote:
I know a lot of the best players have weird setups. Shotzzy, for example, arguably the best Halo 5 player from a raw skill / movements perspective, plays on 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. Seems 1 - 5 is very common for the pros to use. Many are also 4 (h) 2(v) as well.

I'm extremely casual and play social only for the most part, but I've found 4 (h) 2(v) works like a charm for me.
Huh, well I guess I was wrong. I always thought that when they said their setup the two different numbers were their sensitivity and acceleration.
Yeah, I was wondering the same. 1 sensitivity and 5 acceleration makes more sense than 1 horizontal and 5 vertical. But 1 sens is maybe a bit low for a pro?
Oh shoot, you're probably right! I'll have to check the !settings command in Twitch again.
I know this was posted over a month ago but I couldn't help but chime in. Halo is the only FPS I play so I'm not sure if horizontal/vertical sensitivities are a "thing" elsewhere. I saw a video a while back stating that it wasn't recommended to have your horizontal/vertical sensitivities the same but I can't remember why. I know that when I tried it it felt sluggish to me and I didn't like it. In H4 I had a sensitivity of 4 but I found that wasn't working too well for me in H5. My aim was loose and all over the place. So I piddled with the horizontal/vertical sensitivities and found something I like. I use 1.5 horizontal, 3.5 vertical, and an acceleration of 4. My aim feels significantly better. I'd highly recommend it if the default sensitivities aren't working for you.

This is the video I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmf2kJ1pCU
There are plenty of games that allow independent adjustment of X and Y sensitivity values, but Halo 5 is the only one I've seen that defaults to different values for each without telling you about it. I don't know how anyone plays with differing X and Y values without their aim feeling jerky.
Rycay wrote:
I know this was posted over a month ago but I couldn't help but chime in. Halo is the only FPS I play so I'm not sure if horizontal/vertical sensitivities are a "thing" elsewhere. I saw a video a while back stating that it wasn't recommended to have your horizontal/vertical sensitivities the same but I can't remember why. I know that when I tried it it felt sluggish to me and I didn't like it. In H4 I had a sensitivity of 4 but I found that wasn't working too well for me in H5. My aim was loose and all over the place. So I piddled with the horizontal/vertical sensitivities and found something I like. I use 1.5 horizontal, 3.5 vertical, and an acceleration of 4. My aim feels significantly better. I'd highly recommend it if the default sensitivities aren't working for you.

This is the video I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmf2kJ1pCU
Thanks man! I didn't mess with it after all. Just upped my sensitivity a bit. ;)
JensBoef wrote:
Rycay wrote:
I know this was posted over a month ago but I couldn't help but chime in. Halo is the only FPS I play so I'm not sure if horizontal/vertical sensitivities are a "thing" elsewhere. I saw a video a while back stating that it wasn't recommended to have your horizontal/vertical sensitivities the same but I can't remember why. I know that when I tried it it felt sluggish to me and I didn't like it. In H4 I had a sensitivity of 4 but I found that wasn't working too well for me in H5. My aim was loose and all over the place. So I piddled with the horizontal/vertical sensitivities and found something I like. I use 1.5 horizontal, 3.5 vertical, and an acceleration of 4. My aim feels significantly better. I'd highly recommend it if the default sensitivities aren't working for you.

This is the video I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmf2kJ1pCU
Thanks man! I didn't mess with it after all. Just upped my sensitivity a bit. ;)
No problem! Good to hear, btw. Glad I could help out.
JensBoef wrote:
In Halo 5 you can change your vertical and horizontal sensitivity to create a custom sensitivity. I never seen that in any FPS game. I am wondering if it is logical to have a different vertical and horizontal sensitivity. Anyone knows if other FPS games have a difference between vertical and horizontal sensitivity? Is it "good" to have the same vertical & horizontal sensitivities, or do other FPS games also have a difference between the two?

I haven't tried to mess with it, but maybe I should? Do you guys & girls tried some custom sensitivities? Did you like it?

Thanks for any help and feedback!
Give it a shot, having played since Halo 3 one of the major annoyances I had until the introduction of the two seperate axis speeds was that the vertical always moved slower than the horizontal. The main situation was when an enemy or myself jumped in close quarters combat to try and jump over. I've missed over 200 assassinations throughout Halo's Reach & 4 because I couldn't look down fast enough.
My friends and I recommend having the V-axis to be half of the H-axis. Since all controllers settings are a person to person deal, dont let my advise be set in stone.
I often find that the vertical sensitivity in a lot of games tends to be a little too slow for my liking, whereas the horizontal is a little more free to move. I wish more games had it. I hate seeing an enemy but not being able to lift the thumbsticks up in time to shoot him before he gets you first.

There is absolutely a logic to it, imo. The more customisation you can give a player, the better. Let them play the game how THEY want to play it.
Lots of games have it.

I personally play on 8 horizontal and 6.5 vertical (9 and 9 for grifball). It gives me quick turns while helping keep my reticle at head level.
I used to play on 10/10, but my sniping was horrible. Since I changed I'm actually pretty decent with the sniper now. (except for close range, lol)
It even ended up helping my swat game, which was the whole reason I orignally went to 10/10.
I personally play with my vertical at 4 and horizontal at 10. It doesn't do too much for me tbh.
I use 3 sens 2 accel
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2