Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Warthog drivers no longer get assists

OP ONI shark

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'm not sure if this was done on purpose, but the only rewards for warthog drivers are wheelman medals and kills from splatters. Since their isn't a top medals or medals tab on spartan profiles anymore, warthog drivers are essentially only rewarded for splatters in matchmaking. The only part of being a warthog driver that I felt was rewarding in previous Halo games was being able to look at your stats at the end of the match to see that you had racked up far more assists than anyone else in the match. Now, warthog drivers are almost punished for trying to be a good team player and driving the warthog. The only real advantage of driving a warthog in matchmaking now is to try helping your team win, but the game types with warthogs are also the game types with the most players meaning you have a lower influence on the matches outcome as an individual. Getting to the point though, I think that wheelman medals should be coupled with an assist to promote team play.
In past games, Wheelman medals counted as assists in post-game. Not certain how H5 handles it.

In Reach and H3, I lived for those Wheelmans.
What are everyone else's thoughts on this?
Those wheelman medals go towards completing a commendation, so I'm ok with it.
You are correct they aren't granting assists and no one is sure why. Trust me any good gunner worth his weight needs a good driver to put him in the right positions as well as stay out of trouble. Its a true team effort so assists should be there.
not happy about it :(
I've noticed this too and it makes me sad as I've nearly perfected it this Halo of how to keep your gunner alive. I've probably earn about a dozen gunners "Hard Target" awards in Warzone and that should count for a major bonus for the driver keeping your gunner alive.
The driver does more for the kill than the turret guy. As far as I'm concerned I think the driver should get the kill and the turret man the assist. A good driver can destroy the enemy team in halo.
Tazzman29 wrote:
Those wheelman medals go towards completing a commendation, so I'm ok with it.
What incentive is there after the commendation is complete out of curiosity? It doesn't take very long for a warthog driver to rack up 200 wheelmans (or however many it is for the full 5 levels.)
You are correct they aren't granting assists and no one is sure why. Trust me any good gunner worth his weight needs a good driver to put him in the right positions as well as stay out of trouble. Its a true team effort so assists should be there.
I completely agree. The whole balancing in the killtime of a warthog is that it takes 2 players to operate effectively.
Malow X wrote:
not happy about it :(
same.

No idea why they change this. Pretty much the driver gets no recognition now.
capnchuc wrote:
The driver does more for the kill than the turret guy. As far as I'm concerned I think the driver should get the kill and the turret man the assist. A good driver can destroy the enemy team in halo.
I would say it's circumstantial who does more for the kill, but yes the driver is generally more important than the gunner in the operation of a warthog. The turret operator is also in more danger than the driver because they are much more open, and it takes a lot of situational awareness to know which targets to aim at first to avoid being picked out. It makes sense to me that whoever performs the action of the kill should get the kill, but I do see where you're coming from.
Malow X wrote:
not happy about it :(
same.

No idea why they change this. Pretty much the driver gets no recognition now.
Warthog drivers were always the unsung heros in the past, but now driving a warthog may even go beyond making you unnoticed and make you disliked instead. If someone looks at what little information is available in your personal stats for Halo 5, then they might even look down on you for being a warthog driver since all they'll generally see in a warthog driver's stat page is less kills, less assists, and more deaths compared to if they hadn't been a warthog driver.
Sorry but I don't have a quote for this but I KNOW for sure I read a response from 343 that they are aware of the concern and are making it so drivers get the assist. It may even be a bug because I know as a driver in war zone I rack up req just as fast as my gunner so the req system is definitely rewarding me for not driving like a potato. It may even be in the coming update if someone can find the quote they can confirm.

Edit: I found the quote but it doesn't say when. It was late November so they might have got it finished in time for Cartographer's Gift.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brav/status/669342666446909440
Drazer wrote:
Sorry but I don't have a quote for this but I KNOW for sure I read a response from 343 that they are aware of the concern and are making it so drivers get the assist. It may even be a bug because I know as a driver in war zone I rack up req just as fast as my gunner so the req system is definitely rewarding me for not driving like a potato. It may even be in the coming update if someone can find the quote they can confirm.

Edit: I found the quote but it doesn't say when. It was late November so they might have got it finished in time for Cartographer's Gift.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brav/status/669342666446909440
Awesome, thanks for the info. Hopefully it'll be fixed when the next patch drops.
i was always the driver for my buddy during halo 3 and 4, really upsetting that i can't even get an assist for my deaths
Being a driver is amazing. If your gunner gets the boss kill, so will you. Free points!
Just one more issue on Halo 5's 'glitch list'

... maybe if they turned it off and then on again...

But I feel for you. It's like... who built this game? People who have never Ever played a Halo title before? Because seriously... the amount of obvious blunders so far has been kinda mind boggling.
How do you make some of these mistakes this far into a franchise?
This should definitely be fixed.
You are correct they aren't granting assists and no one is sure why. Trust me any good gunner worth his weight needs a good driver to put him in the right positions as well as stay out of trouble. Its a true team effort so assists should be there.
As a long time wheelman myself I completely agree. I can drive anyone with a degree of success and my gunner can gun for anyone with degree of success. Together though we were near unstoppable.

Not so much in Halo 5. Hog has taken a huge nerf against ground troops.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2